There can't possibly be a Future Mai.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

There can't possibly be a Future Mai.

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:33 pm

It's impossible for Super to have a Future Mai if she wasn't in the future timeline in Z. I'm sure if she was in that timeline and died then Trunks would probably have remembered her because I think they're kind of dating now right?
Mai can't just be in universe when Trunks is a kid, disappear for the portion of the Future Timeline with the Androids, then come back when Black Goku shows up.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: There can't possibly be a Future Mai.

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:54 pm

Is there any evidence to suggest she wasn't in Future Trunks' world? This seems to be a case of Toriyama abusing elements he has left unexplained and putting them to good use in the future as he sees fit. He has admitted to loving this practice to make it come off as if he planned something all along.

I'm confused in what you're trying to convey in the rest of your message, however. You are aware Future Trunks, Trunks, Future Mai, and Mai are all separate characters, correct?

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:57 pm

Since the Pilaf gang as a whole never showed up in Z and we have no idea what they were doing, Toei and Toriyama can pretty much do what they like with them.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:36 pm

The Pilaf Gang never made an appearance in Z or in the manga after the King Piccolo arc, and their fate was never determined, so in reality, they could all be still alive in Future Trunks timeline and it wouldn't create any contradictions.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:44 pm

I have not complained about Mai being in the future/being young because 1) I love Mai, and 2) nothing involving her contradicts anything that happens in the 42 volumes of manga. It's incredibly simple and believable to say "the Androids did not kill Mai or the Pilaf Gang" and "The Pilaf Gang wished themselves young before the Androids killed Piccolo."

I do kind of get a kick out of how every new thing just ignores GT, though.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:06 pm

B wrote:I have not complained about Mai being in the future/being young because 1) I love Mai, and 2) nothing involving her contradicts anything that happens in the 42 volumes of manga. It's incredibly simple and believable to say "the Androids did not kill Mai or the Pilaf Gang" and "The Pilaf Gang wished themselves young before the Androids killed Piccolo."

I do kind of get a kick out of how every new thing just ignores GT, though.
Well, the Pilafs weren't dead but still, if Mai had been in the Future Timeline we see in DBZ then Trunks would probably remember her.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

FTW395
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FTW395 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:12 pm

Holy shit I just realized that the Pilaf Gang indeed never showed up in Dragonball Z. Should've kept it that way tbh.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:13 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Well, the Pilafs weren't dead but still, if Mai had been in the Future Timeline we see in DBZ then Trunks would probably remember her.
How do we know they didn't meet after Trunks killed Cell? Maybe the threat of Goku Black brought them together.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:33 pm

Future Trunks most likely meet Mai after he defeated Cell and #17 & #18 in his timeline from the looks of it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Even if he knew her before that, why would he mention it to the people in the past? It wasn't relevant in any way.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:15 am

Theory: Goku dies of heart virus, Pilaf and gang see that as an opening to take over the world, wish themselves young, become toddlers. Mai would only be 2-3 years older than Trunks then. Androids arrive, well they are little kids so they go into hiding, can't do anything anyway for years. Trunks kills Androids, kills Cell, Pilaf and Gang see it as their chance. Hilariously bad plan ensues, Trunks stops them as the only protector of earth but is charmed by them (and by Mai). Since they seem to be able to develop cool weapons and robots, he keeps them around as friends/extra protection. Goku Black arrives, maybe kills Pilaf and Shuu early, but Trunks and Mai outlive them for a little bit. We get to the present day. Problem solved, the end.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:17 am

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:30 pm

It is possible, we dont know when the Pilaf Gang made their wish because they dont appear in Z, they could have done it when Trunks was 2 or 3 years maybe?
I used to hate Pilaf, Mai and Shu, specially Mai but now I love them, and my favourite is Mai lol. I really want her to be alive in the Future Trunks timeline

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:34 am

So does anyone think Future Mai will return after what Black did to her?

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:37 pm

floofychan333 wrote:It's impossible for Super to have a Future Mai if she wasn't in the future timeline in Z. I'm sure if she was in that timeline and died then Trunks would probably have remembered her because I think they're kind of dating now right?
Mai can't just be in universe when Trunks is a kid, disappear for the portion of the Future Timeline with the Androids, then come back when Black Goku shows up.
They didn't show us that much of the Future timeline. There is literally no evidence of the Pilaf Gang not being there. Also, think of it this way; everything prior to the Androids in the Future timeline still happened (Frieza, Namek, Vegeta/Nappa, and all of Dragon Ball). Maybe the Pilaf Gang went into hiding, and then the other 2 members somehow got killed off?
dragonballhero wrote:So does anyone think Future Mai will return after what Black did to her?
The narrator plainly stated Mai was dead. I find it unlikely they'd suddenly show a character that's supposed to be dead.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku