Favorite Adult Gohan Voice

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Favorite Adult Gohan Voice

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:48 am

A very hated character within the community seems to be Adult Gohan. The subject of this particular Gohan's voice really doesn't appear as much as it does with Goku. Who is your favorite voice of this particular version of the character? My personal favorite is Nozawa but I like his Mandarin Kai voice and his Korean Champ voice too. Kyle Herbert is good too.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Re: Favorite Adult Gohan Voice

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:20 am

Why do you say Adult Gohan is hated a lot in this community i don't infact Great Saiyaman is my favorite Gohan. The only ones who hate him are the fans of only the BADASS SSJ2 Gohan and i don't consider them a fan of Gohan at all.

As far as my favorite voice is concerned it is Masako Nozawa by a country mile. Really no contest.

- Travis

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:30 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Why do you say Adult Gohan is hated a lot in this community i don't infact Great Saiyaman is my favorite Gohan. The only ones who hate him are the fans of only the BADASS SSJ2 Gohan and i don't consider them a fan of Gohan at all.
- Travis
Believe me man, I feel exact same way. What I meant is that I see a lot of people claiming that he "failed to take up the mantle" or that he "was ruined by Toriyama". I don't agree with any of that. I probably should have said misunderstood instead because the majority of the people who say that don't really see Gohan for who he really is. My apologies, I should've worded what I said better. :oops:

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:51 am

Nozawa's by a big margin.

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:06 pm

Nozawa for me. Gohan's high school antics like Baseball and the Great Saiyaman are some of my favorite parts of the series thanks to her. I've heard people giving Hebert a hard time over his Gohan voice but I don't think it's bad at all.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:08 pm

Nothing tops Nozawa.

Trunksuu

Post by Trunksuu » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:41 pm

It makes me sad that such an innocent and adorable character gets so much hate for either dumb reasons, or illogical reasons, speaking that he's also my favorite character in the show. But besides that, as much as I love and respect Masako Nozawa, mine has to be Dameon Clarke and Kyle Hebert, only because I've grown up with the Funimation dub, and those Gohans are in an important part of my life.
Trunks: These androids are ruthless, they delight in causing pain and chaos.
Living on Earth in my time is like living in a nightmare. Always running and hiding and looking for a way out.

Trunks: I can't find hope in the present, but if I change the past can I find hope for the future?

Android 18: Ugh! I hate you!
Trunks: You hate the fact that you're powerless to stop me. That you're completely outmatched. Well imagine feeling what you do now all of the time like the people of this planet do. Fools! How do you think my master Gohan felt when you ganged up on him in the rain and he had no way out? Well, now it's your turn, I hope you enjoy it.

Trunks: Gohan, why'd you have to do it, why'd you have to leave me? It's not fair! Oh gosh no... what did they do to you Gohan? You were my best friend, you were everything to me... everything! This just isn't fair! Gohan, Gohan, GOHAN!

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:48 pm

My favorite voices for Adult Gohan are Vagner Fagundes from the Brazilian dub and, obviously, Nozawa.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:34 am

Brad Swaile is fantastic as Gohan. Unlike Kyle Hebert, who sounds much older and/or macho/badass (as my memory puts it), Swaile gives him a more innocent and young sounding voice. I felt it really fit the character. It was one of the few good things about the Westwood dub.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:29 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Brad Swaile is fantastic as Gohan. Unlike Kyle Hebert, who sounds much older and/or macho/badass (as my memory puts it), Swaile gives him a more innocent and young sounding voice. I felt it really fit the character.
Couldn't agree more, Brad Swaile all the way.

I've always felt that Kyle Herbert sounded wrong for the part, though his natural voice does have a young man vibe to it, something about it is off. I think it's a combination of his voice being slightly too deep and "macho" but also the fact that he sounds like he'd be more appropriate for a cool guy archetype rather than an awkward teenager. I also feel Brad Swaile's voice just naturally has a innocent sound to it whereas Kyle Herbert seems to lack the same quality, it's very hard for me to buy his performance during tender moments because the "cool guy" aspect of his voice always seems to shine through. I honestly think he'd be a better fit for a character like Yamcha or Sharpner rather than someone like Gohan but alas, we have to live with these casting choices despite how flawed they fundamentally are.

I will say that Dameon Clarke sounded pretty good as Future Gohan, for a hardened version of the character I had no issues with him in that role.

Nozawa is Nozawa, I really don't have much of an opinion to add to the Japanese conversation. I wouldn't have personally cast her as adult Gohan if I'm honest, kid Gohan is fine though.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:33 pm

Davide Garbolino from the italian dub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICba_z6CBvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yq9BwZgEBs

Vagner Fagundes from the brazilian dub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPLIZg8XiFw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcfX4Khf2Gw

He Guoxiong from the original Cantonese dub:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lIIF5jBfK0 (Gohan is a teen in this movie, but they used his adult actor to perform him here)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1StEPcaCEOE

There are others, but I can list those 3 as my favorites. I like Robert Brillantes from the Tagalog dub too, but it's hard to find tagalog dubbed videos from the Buu Saga. Also, Mark Lesser from the french dub have improved his acting in Kai, comparing with the original french dub. I think he(after Kai) is one of my favorites too.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:30 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Why do you say Adult Gohan is hated a lot in this community i don't infact Great Saiyaman is my favorite Gohan. The only ones who hate him are the fans of only the BADASS SSJ2 Gohan and i don't consider them a fan of Gohan at all.
- Travis
Believe me man, I feel exact same way. What I meant is that I see a lot of people claiming that he "failed to take up the mantle" or that he "was ruined by Toriyama". I don't agree with any of that. I probably should have said misunderstood instead because the majority of the people who say that don't really see Gohan for who he really is. My apologies, I should've worded what I said better. :oops:
Agreed, Adult (Tournament Saga) Gohan is actually mt favourite character because of it, and all the reasons people apparently hate him - is what made
me disliking the "Teen" Gohan's mainstream incarnations because of the thick echo-chamber in that fandom. Those that go on and on about the "mantle/potential/torch" or saying "Future Gohan is what he was supposed to be until Goku fanboys....." whatever, don't care what Gohan's character actually was.

As for my preferred voice, I like Kyle Herbert on Adult Gohan just fine; while I would have preferred Daemon Clarke as Future Gohan, just because they're personalities are so different. Daemon gives that more assertive, adamant character that Future Gohan was.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:46 pm

Nozawa to be sure, but Kyle Herbert isn't bad at all.

In fact, he's gotten better as an actor as time has gone on, I do think he's better in BoG and RoF than he was during the Boo arc of Z, which is why I'm excited to hear him return in Boo Kai..... whenever it finally happens...
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:45 pm

Nozawa takes the cake for me. Though, I did like Dameon Clarke's performance as Mirai Gohan.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:10 pm

Nozawa. None of the English choices are any good, but I guess Brad Swaile is the least not good.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki