If characters disappeared once their relevance was over

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

If characters disappeared once their relevance was over

Post by precita » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:13 pm

Launch is a perfect example of this. As much as I like her, her character just wouldn't fit in DBZ at all and she'd basically have nothing to do anyway but stay on the sidelines with the rest of the cast. So she just stopped appearing. Pilaf and co. didn't get any DBZ appearances either. You can say it happened to characters like Android 17 (who only got a brief cameo in the Buu arc but nothing more), Uppa, etc as well.

So nowadays we have so many characters around who just have no relevance anymore. Oolong/Puar, Ox King, Bulma's parents, Tenshinhan/Chiaotzu, Yamcha, Yajirobe/Korin, etc. Outside of get togethers like Bulma's birthday or celebrations, do all these characters need to continually show up?

Sometimes I think people would spend less time complaining, "Oh this character is useless now" if they just stopped appearing when their relevance to the story was done.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Re: If characters disappeared once their relevance was over

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:17 pm

On the other hand, we'd get constant complaints of "Where did X go? Do you think they'll come back?" It still happens with Lunch, even WITH people constantly citing the "Toriyama forgot she existed" excuse.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:05 pm

Irrelevant characters should stay irrelevant if there's no place for them, like the Pilaf Gang *COUGH COUGH*.

I don't think Launch should return unless she has martial arts... but she's older than before, so... meh. I don't think Goku, Vegeta, Beerus, and Whis need to be the only relevant characters.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:15 pm

Strength isn't the only way to be relevant to the story. For instance, Muten Roshi is useful as a source of humor and wisdom. Oolong and Puar's transformation powers could be made useful if the writer(s) wanted them to.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:22 pm

You're basically describing a video game intro where nobody but Saiyans and villains show up and fight because reasons. That sounds like a fantastic show.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:31 pm

B wrote:You're basically describing a video game intro where nobody but Saiyans and villains show up and fight because reasons. That sounds like a fantastic show.
If Oolong/Puar never appeared in DBZ, virtually nothing would change. Truthfully after the Saiyan arc is when they should have been written out.

The majority of the Namek saga only focused on 5 core characters anyway (Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Krillin and Bulma...then Piccolo), and that was it. Tenshinhan was absent for the majority of the Buu arc, and that made his return feel special.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:47 pm

Super's logic is Strength = Value. I wouldn't mind more relevant characters unless they're Hercule, Monaka, etc.
MyAnimeList | AniList

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:43 am

Well, I can see where you're coming from. If characters have absolutely nothing to do, they shouldn't appear as if they're going to do something, correct? I'm not sure if I like leaving them alone completely. We can see what they're up to occasionally during the downtime moments.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:48 am

I like to see those kinds of characters for both nostalgic purposes and for benchmark purposes, to remind me how rich the cast of characters are."

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:47 am

I really hate how Super made NEARLY EVERY single character introduced in Dragonball irrellevant and just voiceless cameos that party at Capsule Corperation and don't do anything else.
I know it started in Dragonball Z but Super has made this EVEN WORSE with even Gohan not turning up most of the show.

In all seriousness if that was the case then I guess Yamcha would have dissapeared after the fight with Frieza or Cell then....same with Tenshinhan and Chaozu.
Same with Bulma's parents in the same time and Yajirobe in the Saiyan saga.

Nobody would have had to only have their feet drawn in the Universe 6 tournament.
But to me that would be much worse than partying in Bulma's house in their only appearences and not fighting or having lines anymore, since those minor characters are still my favourite characters out of the DB cast (along with Goku, Kuririn and Bulma)

I still miss Lunch and Gohan. :(
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:04 am

Nejishiki wrote:Well, I can see where you're coming from. If characters have absolutely nothing to do, they shouldn't appear as if they're going to do something, correct? I'm not sure if I like leaving them alone completely. We can see what they're up to occasionally during the downtime moments.
That sounds very reasonable. I'd be down with that. Just people like Yajirobe, I mean, can he even do anything? Who knows if he's been training? And we have Future Trunks right now for his sword.
MyAnimeList | AniList

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:28 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Super's logic is Strength = Value. I wouldn't mind more relevant characters unless they're Hercule, Monaka, etc.
That's been the status quo within the series since the Saiyan arc.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:35 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote:Super's logic is Strength = Value. I wouldn't mind more relevant characters unless they're Hercule, Monaka, etc.
That's been the statue quo within the series since the Saiyan arc.
Gohan and Kuririn were indispensable in reviving their friends using the Namekian dragon balls.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:11 pm

No if they stop appearing I would get tired of looking at the same faces repeatedly.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:28 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:No if they stop appearing I would get tired of looking at the same faces repeatedly.
They'd introduce new characters as the series always has.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:23 am

I'm a fan of many characters who are deemed as "irrelevant" or "useless" these days, particularly Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Chiaotzu and Yajirobe. I dislike the fact that most of these characters have little use now in the "Goku 'n' his Super God Super Super Super God Super Saiyan 3 Pals Show", and I may moan about it online sometimes, but I much prefer them being limited to occasional cameos to just outright not appearing at all. Cutting these characters out completely after they were no longer useful wouldn't stop complaining, though. People would just be complaining about that instead. We will always moan about things we don't like because we're human and it is what we do. The only reason it annoys me so much more with Tenshinhan is because I love the character's passion, bravery, commitment and loyalty, as well as his techniques.

In terms of these little cameos though, I have quite enjoyed some of them, even if they are just "filler". For example, despite not appearing at all for many "in-universe years", I loved Launch, completely out of the blue, being shown giving energy to Goku's Spirt Bomb. I like little touches like that. I liked Yajirobe's role as the Senzu delivery man. Tenshinhan appearing right at the end and saving Gohan, Dende and Mr. Satan from Super Buu, and then delivering his his "Hardly recognize you Gohan. You've changed a lot, inside and out, good for you." line, has become one of my favourite "late-DBZ" scenes. If I wasn't so heartless it might bring a tear to my eye.

Looking at the Launch character in particular, I totally agree that her split-personality gimmick would've added nothing to the story of DBZ. Yes, it might've added some comic relief from time-to-time, but there is always the risk that it could go down the same route as Team Rocket in Pokemon and just become downright annoying, as recurring gags often are. Launch being seen on the sidelines wouldn't have added or taken anything away from the story, but it is an extra character for the animators to drawing and keeping track of, etc, so you can totally see why she was dropped.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:13 am

Well I'm not sure about the manga but the anime shown that Launch had feelings for Tien. This could have been interesting because we don't really know how high the potential of a child from a super humanly strong person is. I mean we have Marron but obviously Krillin and 18 wouldn't make her train.

But since post super saiyan born children seem much stronger it'd be interesting to see how strong Tien's kid could be.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:25 am

Looking at the Launch character in particular, I totally agree that her split-personality gimmick would've added nothing to the story of DBZ. Yes, it might've added some comic relief from time-to-time, but there is always the risk that it could go down the same route as Team Rocket in Pokemon and just become downright annoying, as recurring gags often are. Launch being seen on the sidelines wouldn't have added or taken anything away from the story, but it is an extra character for the animators to drawing and keeping track of, etc, so you can totally see why she was dropped.
She didn't exactly add anything to the plot of Dragon Ball.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:00 pm

ABED wrote:She didn't exactly add anything to the plot of Dragon Ball.
I didn't say she did.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.