New time travel rules (contradictions or not)?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

New time travel rules (contradictions or not)?

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:42 am

The show established back in Z that if you back into the past, and you change something, that timeline splits off and becomes a new one.

But last episode, and in this episode again, Beerus and Whis explained the butterfly effect, alluding that perhaps it will have an effect in the future of the arc. This is a retcon and completely different from how time travel worked before.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Is nobody gonna mention the new time travel rules?

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:08 am

Yeah, I hope it's just Toei writers jumping the gun, trying to be cool with their explanation of how this all works, rather than it being part of Toriyama's plot.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:58 am

Not that I'd mind some new time travel rules added, but Whis' warning could still relate to Future Trunks' timeline without altering the rules. What if Earth's population was supposed to be destroyed by androids in Trunks' timeline? In that case, Trunks upset the balance by going back in time and getting more powerful when his fate was to perish.

Following that, Goku Black may even be trying to restore the timeline, which would explain his cryptic "For the sake of justice, I'm going to exterminate humanity" line in episode 49.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:01 am

Well, Time Breaker's time travel adjust to the butterfly effect in Xenoverse, and it seems the case that at least some elements of XV/DBO/DBH is coming to Super; I think the Time Ring and any God Time Travel works with Whis explanation (and that's why Hope! Time Machine is such a mess from the gods' perspective)

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:04 am

Doctor. wrote:The show established back in Z that if you back into the past, and you change something, that timeline splits off and becomes a new one.

But last episode, and in this episode again, Beerus and Whis explained the butterfly effect, alluding that perhaps it will have an effect in the future of the arc. This is a retcon and completely different from how time travel worked before.
Actually it doesn't. Although a new time is created, the butterfly effect still happened. Just by Trunks and Cell interfering in the present timeline, Androids 19 and 20 attacked South City instead of 17 and 18, Goku got his heart virus much later, the androids are stronger than they should be, there's an extra android who is even more powerful running around, and Trunks and Cell somehow caused Babidi and Dabura to come early.

So, it's the butterfly effect, it just didn't screw Trunks' timeline. Also, if Black Goku is caused by Future Trunks' time traveling and he threatened time and space, then it would be a big deal and show how spills from another timeline can spread into other timelines.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:32 am

A few days ago i watched a video in a channel called Geekdom 101 where he talked about this. I think that he gave a good explanation so take a look, here's the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-G61_mDnD8
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:42 am

LuckyCat wrote:Not that I'd mind some new time travel rules added, but Whis' warning could still relate to Future Trunks' timeline without altering the rules. What if Earth's population was supposed to be destroyed by androids in Trunks' timeline? In that case, Trunks upset the balance by going back in time and getting more powerful when his fate was to perish.
This.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:52 am

Doctor. wrote:The show established back in Z that if you back into the past, and you change something, that timeline splits off and becomes a new one.

There was absolutely no contradiction to the old rules.

What Whis says is that it can have serious side effects such as an entire world disappearing. It CAN as we have seen the difference between the timeline of Trunks and the timeline of Goku.

The effect it creates is felt in the original timeline. Trunks originally helped Goku/gang change their future, Whis was saying making seemingly good changes can backfire. Who knows if that has/will happen in this timeline.

Also Trunks may have caused this in HIS timeline by going back and killing the Androids/Cell later which wasnt supposed to happen.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:29 pm

Sooo... whatever happened to Cell's timeline? :?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:01 pm

Wrong. The butterfly effect has always happened with time travel in the series. When Trunks first travelled to the past, he changed the timeline he arrived in and because of that, everything happened differently. By going back to his with a solution to his problem, he also changed his own timeline from the future it was supposed to have.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:27 pm

I'm not watching the arc, but DB has always had the "butterfly effect." Remember when two androids showed up on an island on May 12th, and they weren't the right ones? Remember when the right ones did show up and they were magically stronger than the ones Trunks knew?

Does Whis specifically say changing something in the Super timeline is going to affect Trunks's bad future? And, even if he does say something to that effect, we have no idea how Goku Black or Zamasu fit into all this. Goku Black is clearly from somewhere that isn't Trunks's future. There's a lot of explaining to do.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:18 pm

B wrote:I'm not watching the arc, but.
Why is that, out of curiosity? You don't have the free time to watch it or you just don't like Future Trunks or Super?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:53 pm

DragonBallLove wrote:Well, Time Breaker's time travel adjust to the butterfly effect in Xenoverse, and it seems the case that at least some elements of XV/DBO/DBH is coming to Super; I think the Time Ring and any God Time Travel works with Whis explanation (and that's why Hope! Time Machine is such a mess from the gods' perspective)
Basically. Xenoverse establishes that "normal" time travel is possible, and that Time Kaioshin Chornoa and Towa & Demigra have various methods of traveling through time without causing the timelines to split. Bluma and Trunks' time machine (and other nameless people stated to have developed time travel after Trunks started the timeline splits), however, is defective. It allows them to accomplish their goal of traveling through time, but because it's not perfect like Chronoa's versions, it causes the timelines to split.

I don't know if Super is taking on that ideology or not, but it's an interpretation that is out there at least.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:01 pm

I kinda go by Xenoverse's overloading the time vault thing.

But really the butterfly effect really only applies to what matches between the two timelines I guess. Cause doing something in the past will not affect Trunks future, but it will affect the future of Goku's time from what might have happened in Trunks. Like the heart virus being delayed, and Gero and 19 showing up instead of 17 & 18. As we saw killing past Cell had absolutely no affect for the Cell of the future in Trunks timeline.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

ssj_duelist
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj_duelist » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:17 pm

If Akira in all his lack of wisdom retcon out multiverse and put in 'past changes the future' stuff I quit this series.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:52 pm

ssj_duelist wrote:If Akira in all his lack of wisdom retcon out multiverse and put in 'past changes the future' stuff I quit this series.
I don't think Toriyama would go that far.

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: New time travel rules (contradictions or not)?

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:25 pm

There's no contradictions whatsoever. The butterfly effect has nothing to do with alterations to a single timeline. Who's was just using it to explain how changes made in the past can change the future, which it did in Android arc and created a new timeline.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:13 am

Luke Groundwalker wrote:There's no contradictions whatsoever. The butterfly effect has nothing to do with alterations to a single timeline. Who's was just using it to explain how changes made in the past can change the future, which it did in Android arc and created a new timeline.
Your auto-correct got you, didn't it? "Whis" turns into "Who's" for me as well, unless I catch it.

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:30 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
Luke Groundwalker wrote:There's no contradictions whatsoever. The butterfly effect has nothing to do with alterations to a single timeline. Who's was just using it to explain how changes made in the past can change the future, which it did in Android arc and created a new timeline.
Your auto-correct got you, didn't it? "Whis" turns into "Who's" for me as well, unless I catch it.
Yeah that was mybad, lol. I did that on the phone real quick.

But basically what I mean is that the butterfly effect does not directly imply something follows one timeline. I think the purpose of Whis explaining it to the audience, is to explain (to new viewers) how there's even a different timeline in the first place. If the events in the Present affect Trunks' Future, then Trunks wouldn't have any desire of actually killing Black in his Future but instead try to kill Black in the past before he becomes too powerful.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:42 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Basically. Xenoverse establishes that "normal" time travel is possible, and that Time Kaioshin Chornoa and Towa & Demigra have various methods of traveling through time without causing the timelines to split. Bluma and Trunks' time machine (and other nameless people stated to have developed time travel after Trunks started the timeline splits), however, is defective. It allows them to accomplish their goal of traveling through time, but because it's not perfect like Chronoa's versions, it causes the timelines to split.
Where exactly it is stated? I don't remember seeing that explanation during the course of the game.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~