"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Sandubadear » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:25 pm

Trunks using Time Slipper to time travel lol.

I wonder what kind of fuel the Time Slipper uses.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:43 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Kid Trunks' teacher follows up with a lesson on "parallel worlds". It's kinda morbid... To explain the theory, she says a boy (A-kun) wants to take rice bean cakes back to his younger mother, but she chokes on them and dies in the "parallel world". So now there would be a timeline where his mother doesn't exist and the boy isn't born. However the original mother and child remain fine. That lesson was from a college textbook that she had on accident though...they were supposed to be doing math. So, everyone, what's 10-3=?
Good stuff and better than what the anime had Whis say. Toyotaro is a fanboy just like us, so he knows exactly how to describe the whole deal with the alternate timelines in DB.
Bluma asks Whis about when he reversed time with Freeza, wondering if there's a "parallel world" where the tyrant still lives. Whis says that's not changing the past, but simply "redoing". After using it, the "time base" switches out so it can't be used again for a while. (Don't ask what that is. No idea.)
That's pretty much the end of what's there... Will address more pages if they show up, I guess.[/quote]
Confirming that Whis also reversed time in skipped RoF Arc in the manga continuity for those who debate about its RoF arc.
Also possibly the most interesting part of this first part of the chapter. Seems to explain why Whis can't just redo straight after having redone.
I suppose the "time base" sounds like the time vault of Xenoverse? A place where the information of time is kept perhaps, so it has to switch out after getting redone, so to record the new information/work on overwriting the redone part or what have you? Hope I'm making sense to someone other than myself here...

Oh and a big thanks to you and the missus TDC!
Geekdom101 wrote:LMAO! Alright. I thought it was funny. Thanks a lot.
Yeah, sure. Looking forward to seeing another one of you and Anime Live Reactions hour long videos :thumbup:
Cetra wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: But Android is a legitimate translation of "Jinzoningen." At least I thought we've had that debate cleared up by those who know the language?
I know what a Jinzo is - and no, no Yugioh joke here.

But you cannot just take a word's alternative meaning if it does not fit the context. That is what the problem is. Even if I would not learn Japanese since 2007 it would still be a thing of contextualization - if you mention other people knowing Japanese: Especially Herms always points out how important for the closest translation it is to find the word/writing that is the best to reflect intention/context. They are "artfificial humans" as in Cyborgs, artificially enhanced, but not "artificial humans" like no humans at all. So, no, it is not an "acceptable" word. You cannot just go with words that are legitimate translations of words if it does not fit the context. Or like Cell in Abridged says "well good for you, you're wrong". There is a difference between "legit" and "right". Reverse and Rebirth use the same katakana. That does not mean that you can just use whichever word you want. Just like people worldlike call the Mt. Fuji "Fujiyama" because the word "yama" for mountain is included. Legit, but not correct because of this context. It is Fuji-san, not Fujiyama. A funny example actually because Japan has some attractions and certain creations that are named after our "Fujiyama" misunderstanding.
Good points. I don't really have anything to say here.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:53 pm

I legitimately have no idea. There's nothing in the pages to clarify, but I wouldn't assume it's something as important as a "base", as in a location like the Time Vault, with such a vague statement. It's probably a concept that's fundamental to the ability, like a "time stream" or something... :crazy:

Probably better to wait for the Japanese pages and get a better grasp on what it was/means in the original text.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:02 pm

Yeah, I was thinking either a physical base or like you mention the time stream itself.
So you have your time base that doesn't change or anything until Whis uses his time rewind and it has to switch out, because events are being rewritten and so it gets replaced with the new time base with the altered changes. I suppose that's what happens instead of creating an entirely new seperate parallel world.
I wonder, if they are going to elaborate on this later on :think:

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:04 pm

All these invented rules. Must be great being a god that totally defies causality.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:07 pm

Argh! I was really hoping for Goku and Vegeta to have their RoF outfits in the manga... I hope there is a use or explanation for this later on as it was more or less pushed that these new RoF clothes created by Whis/Bulma were better for fighting/training etc. Pretty good chapter keeping Black hid and all, but I think there are missing pages? It also seemed to leak a bit early this time around.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:10 pm

Nah. The chapter leaked right on schedule.

If there aren't missing pages at the end, it definitely has a weird ending spot. All the first 20 pages are accounted for though: it goes from 73 to 93, if I remember correctly.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:12 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Nah. The chapter leaked right on schedule.

If there aren't missing pages at the end, it definitely has a weird ending spot. All the first 20 pages are accounted for though: it goes from 73 to 93, if I remember correctly.
I think it usually has a title on the bottom of the last page that says "Chapter 14: End" or something.
Edit: Just looked on some Chinese sites, and they are calling it "The first half of Chapter 14" and replied they don't know when the 2nd half would come.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Best thing about this arc in the manga is that I don't have to worry about FT Trunks hair color. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:07 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Best thing about this arc in the manga is that I don't have to worry about FT Trunks hair color. :lol:
I'm sorry, I had too. :lol:

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:09 pm

Xeztin wrote:I'm sorry, I had too. :lol:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It was bound to happen sooner or later. :lol:

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:10 pm

Yet another chapter where Anime is way better. Maybe its because anime is ahead atm. The only thing manga has going for it in this chapter is tights and Jaco. Then again they are probably only there because monaka blue experiment thing does not exist in the manga.So they had to have some way to tell later down the road about the blue guu.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:35 pm

Cetra wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: But Android is a legitimate translation of "Jinzoningen." At least I thought we've had that debate cleared up by those who know the language?
I know what a Jinzo is - and no, no Yugioh joke here.

But you cannot just take a word's alternative meaning if it does not fit the context. That is what the problem is. Even if I would not learn Japanese since 2007 it would still be a thing of contextualization - if you mention other people knowing Japanese: Especially Herms always points out how important for the closest translation it is to find the word/writing that is the best to reflect intention/context. They are "artfificial humans" as in Cyborgs, artificially enhanced, but not "artificial humans" like no humans at all. So, no, it is not an "acceptable" word. You cannot just go with words that are legitimate translations of words if it does not fit the context. Or like Cell in Abridged says "well good for you, you're wrong". There is a difference between "legit" and "right". Reverse and Rebirth use the same katakana. That does not mean that you can just use whichever word you want. Just like people worldlike call the Mt. Fuji "Fujiyama" because the word "yama" for mountain is included. Legit, but not correct because of this context. It is Fuji-san, not Fujiyama. A funny example actually because Japan has some attractions and certain creations that are named after our "Fujiyama" misunderstanding.
In this case though, it does fit. The fact that, in spite of being called "Androids" they actually had a human base was a twist to the characters, not only to the audience. Using "Cyborg" would completely change the context since it's not supposed to be obvious that they were altered humans. Android is the literal and the correct translation.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:29 pm

It really is not.

"Correct" is what is appropriate to what the context is about (which is by the way a totally different context than what you were talking about - and you cannot really contradict what I say while not talking about the same thing because I was talking about their naming after what they truly and and you were talking about their naming of "what Gero wanted", which by the way was not even his intention). And in none of the two relations that we can look at "android" as wise.
And the context and intention of the naming is not "oh let's confuse people". It is merely a side-effect coming from giving them the term of "artificial human". They are modified human beings. So looking at both terms, cyborgs is more appropriate than androids can ever be simply because cyborgs is what they are.
And that has nothing to do with "a twist to the characters and audience" - this is the other context, the one that you think of as more important. It is true that "Android" does not reveal what they actually are but for being ambigious "artificial human" itself is way more fitting than "android" and has not false component but a) describes what they are in terms of being cyborgs and b) still does not reveal that they are modified humans giving the heroes the possibility to confuse them with other creatures made out of nothing. Also it was revealed very early that they were not created out of nothing. There is literally no reason. So what are they? Cyborgs. What would be more accurate to use if we really give the "confusion factor" any relevance? "Artificial Human" itself. Why? Because an Artficial Human could be both a cyborg and an android. This adds, if we take time into account a time frame were the cyborgs should be called "Artificial Human" and after that time frame, when they know that they are cyborgs, "cyborg" or still Artificial Human.
I also think you might confuse what happened in the story because 17 thought 16 was a cyborg. He even thought "16 is a modified man like me" and then 16 said he was made out of nothing. So even characters like 17 were used to show exactly the opposite: Oh, Gero did make not only cyborgs, but also androids. Something that you think of as so obvious (to be fair, it was obvious after 19 but that there were also cyborgs was definitely not the big shocker, only for characters like Goku, even the Z warriors flat out asked Gero "are you Dr. Gero?", something you do not ask an android, but a cyborg).
So, in a certain way, fine with "A.H.s", but by all means not "Android". Gero also had no reason to differentiate them, because the same word did fit anyway - and that is why they actually have the same naming even though they are not the same (this is what is important for the context that you have meant). But in other languages you have to be careful when it comes to that. If you translate it and it has to be ambigious for at least a while you should not take the word which totally excludes the possibility of them being cyborgs (something "Android" does, and "Artificial Human" does not). So, yes. I "correct" my post from before: For the context of being ambigious the "artificial human" thing has to be taken into account, while talking about the context of what they truly are, they should be even more accurately classified as cyborgs. But android - no.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:06 pm

I love Toyotaro's art style of Trunks. Much better than the "awkward eyebrow" version we often get in the anime.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:40 pm

So, Kid Trunks and co. are learning temporal logic? :lol:

It looks like an homage to this scene:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:47 am

Before the chapter leaked I had been toiling with why Goku-Black ends up in Universe 7, if he's really Zamasu from Universe 10. My ridiculous thought at the time was that U10's twin universe is Universe 3 and 10-3 is 7, so Universe 7 it is!
But now we have the teacher giving them a math assignment of 10-3, which as we know equals 7.. Coincidence? I think not :P

Okay, but seriously another theory doing the rounds, which I would really hate if true, is this upcoming meeting between Goku and Zamasu being the reason why Goku-Black exists and then us having confusing timeline logic, that is more akin to the grandfather paradox with eternal loops in the time-stream and the whole chicken or egg situation.

derpgoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by derpgoku » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:15 am

On the cover Black appears in a "super saiyan" state ,maybe a tease?

Nickolaus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nickolaus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:14 am

The additional pages that were not in the original leak are out.

Roymustang16

Post by Roymustang16 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:25 am

Wow, that almost 40 pages.

Toyotaro is definitely a great artist, the final pages look amazing, especially the final panel with that scary mad face.