"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Analytical Delusion » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:58 pm

That's actually very interesting from a world-building perspective. I like it.

[spoiler]So in Universe 7, the Kaioshin got their ranks up to five total, as a safeguard to avoid eliminating the balance. With only one (or two really, with the old Kaioshin - apparently his being locked up in the Z Sword doesn't mean he's still living, though maybe freeing him from the sword will be part of defeating black?), it's much easier to eliminate the God of Destruction in that universe.

Unless Zeno intervenes, Black can run completely roughshod over Universe 7. Since he's probably stronger than any Kaioshin (assuming he's connected to Zamasu, who was considered a gifted fighter for a Kaioshin), he can do the same in other universes as well.[/spoiler]
Swifticuffs wrote:Perhaps Grand Supreme Kai (Shin, currently) took the title from the Dai Kaioshin when he was absorbed, presuming he was dead? Or he was appointed at some point. Just a theory, but I see why you would question this.
[spoiler]It seems like once a Kaio puts on the Potara, he is officially promoted to Kaioshin. That seemed to be the case given the Gowasu/Zamasu interaction in episode 54 before they used the time ring.[/spoiler]

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Analytical Delusion wrote:That's actually very interesting from a world-building perspective. I like it.

[spoiler]So in Universe 7, the Kaioshin got their ranks up to five total, as a safeguard to avoid eliminating the balance. With only one (or two really, with the old Kaioshin - apparently his being locked up in the Z Sword doesn't mean he's still living, though maybe freeing him from the sword will be part of defeating black?), it's much easier to eliminate the God of Destruction in that universe.

Unless Zeno intervenes, Black can run completely roughshod over Universe 7. Since he's probably stronger than any Kaioshin (assuming he's connected to Zamasu, who was considered a gifted fighter for a Kaioshin), he can do the same in other universes as well.[/spoiler]
Swifticuffs wrote:Perhaps Grand Supreme Kai (Shin, currently) took the title from the Dai Kaioshin when he was absorbed, presuming he was dead? Or he was appointed at some point. Just a theory, but I see why you would question this.
[spoiler]It seems like once a Kaio puts on the Potara, he is officially promoted to Kaioshin. That seemed to be the case given the Gowasu/Zamasu interaction in episode 54 before they used the time ring.[/spoiler]
Hm, what of assuming a Grand position, though? One above the others. Appointment by Zenuo?

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:04 pm

Swifticuffs wrote:
Analytical Delusion wrote:That's actually very interesting from a world-building perspective. I like it.

Hm, what of assuming a Grand position, though? One above the others. Appointment by Zenuo?
Oh my bad, I misread your post. I thought you were referring to the Grand Kaio (Dai Kaio, not Dai Kaioshin). I get what you're saying.

[spoiler]Not sure. That would make sense. Or maybe as long as you have one Kaioshin still surviving, even if he's not officially appointed (and appointment seems to be as simple as putting on Potara), the God of Destruction will still live.[/spoiler]

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Analytical Delusion wrote:
Swifticuffs wrote:

Oh my bad, I misread your post. I thought you were referring to the Grand Kaio (Dai Kaio, not Dai Kaioshin). I get what you're saying.

[spoiler]Not sure. That would make sense. Or maybe as long as you have one Kaioshin still surviving, even if he's not officially appointed (and appointment seems to be as simple as putting on Potara), the God of Destruction will still live.[/spoiler]
Makes sense from a "balance" perspective.

[spoiler]With the God of Creation, there must exist the God of Destruction. Lose the Gods of Creation, and lose the God of Destruction. Hmm. Now I'm so anxious to find a scan.[/spoiler]

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:11 pm

Well OK... This is interesting but strange as well.

Let me see what the anime will say about it

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:12 pm

Swifticuffs wrote:
Swifticuffs wrote:

[spoiler]With the God of Creation, there must exist the God of Destruction. Lose the Gods of Creation, and lose the God of Destruction. Hmm. Now I'm so anxious to find a scan.[/spoiler]
Agreed.

[spoiler]I guess you could have multiple Gods of Destruction, but assuming they're on Beerus's level, even if they're not *as* strong as him, you probably don't need more than one. Since, for the most part, he'll be the strongest in the universe.[/spoiler]

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:17 pm

Swifticuffs wrote:
Analytical Delusion wrote: Oh my bad, I misread your post. I thought you were referring to the Grand Kaio (Dai Kaio, not Dai Kaioshin). I get what you're saying.

Agreed.

[spoiler]I guess you could have multiple Gods of Destruction, but assuming they're on Beerus's level, even if they're not *as* strong as him, you probably don't need more than one. Since, for the most part, he'll be the strongest in the universe.[/spoiler]
Yeah. This actually helps me understand how Black knows Beerus. And since Black has some connection to (or is) a Kaioshin, that explains how he'd know this possible spoiler. Really, really interesting if this comes to pass. I wonder if it'll be a manga only thing though, kind of like the SSJ God vs Kaioken Blue thing...

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Swifticuffs wrote:
Swifticuffs wrote:

Agreed.

Yeah. This actually helps me understand how Black knows Beerus. And since Black has some connection to (or is) a Kaioshin, that explains how he'd know this possible spoiler. Really, really interesting if this comes to pass. I wonder if it'll be a manga only thing though, kind of like the SSJ God vs Kaioken Blue thing...
Agreed. I'm still not sure which to treat as my personal canon. Before super it was pretty easy for me (Kanzenban + Jaco/DBM, with Toriyama quotes in guidebooks and interviews retconning older material). The anime is the original medium this time around, but it's hard to tell which differences are Toyotaro going his own route, and which (if any) are corrections to Toei's treatment by Toriyama.

Not trying to turn this into a canon discussion, to be clear. But it's really hard to tell what Toriyama's intent is when the Super anime and manga differ significantly...

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:30 pm

Swifticuffs wrote:
Analytical Delusion wrote: Agreed.

Agreed. I'm still not sure which to treat as my personal canon. Before super it was pretty easy for me (Kanzenban + Jaco/DBM, with Toriyama quotes in guidebooks and interviews retconning older material). The anime is the original medium this time around, but it's hard to tell which differences are Toyotaro going his own route, and which (if any) are corrections to Toei's treatment by Toriyama.

Not trying to turn this into a canon discussion, to be clear. But it's really hard to tell what Toriyama's intent is when the Super anime and manga differ significantly...
Honestly, for my own "logical conclusion" I take bits and pieces of each as my personal canon, but acknowledge the anime as the original one, and steer clear of arguing it with others. Since I know this is subjective opinion, that's all.

For example, I digest Hit's abilities better (in my mind) when using the Manga explanation/demonstration. Makes far more sense, and I can properly scale it in my imagination. It also helps me understand why Vegeta got tossed around like a rag doll (manga preferred) but at the same time, I don't believe SSJ Blue should preposterously drain like that (one tenth) so I am just trying to reason with myself that they forgot he had 4 fights in a row.... and is weak from multiple SSJ transformations.

All opinion, not necessary for argument/discussion. PM me if you like. I'll be on the lookout for a leak and try to hook you up if I find it.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:25 pm

You know what's funny... Babidi/Bibidi and Buu nearly killing all Kaioshins and Beerus has given no damn about it.

Cool story... Now people will say... Because Beerus was sleeping. What about Whis telling him? Or ket me guess... it isn't allowed

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:41 pm

Kishido wrote:You know what's funny... Babidi/Bibidi and Buu nearly killing all Kaioshins and Beerus has given no damn about it.

Cool story... Now people will say... Because Beerus was sleeping. What about Whis telling him? Or ket me guess... it isn't allowed
Beerus character backstory was always poorly written and shoehorned in, that just going to be more par for the course where he's so lazy that he would rather continue to have a cat nap than protect his own existence or do his job. It's weird because of the way he acts towards Zen'o you'd think he'd be super concerned about him being mad at him for not doing his one and only job,

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:29 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Kishido wrote:You know what's funny... Babidi/Bibidi and Buu nearly killing all Kaioshins and Beerus has given no damn about it.

Beerus character backstory was always poorly written and shoehorned in, that just going to be more par for the course where he's so lazy that he would rather continue to have a cat nap than protect his own existence or do his job. It's weird because of the way he acts towards Zen'o you'd think he'd be super concerned about him being mad at him for not doing his one and only job,
It can't be any worse then him being the cause of the extinction of dinosaurs... Then one appearing in the same film...

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:32 pm

Quick question -- How many 'bonus'/'special' chapters have there been in the DB Super manga so far? Is it just:

1) Short with wish to bring back Kaio's planet
2) Recent short with Pilaf gang in Trunks's timeline

or did I miss some other(s)?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Is it even of his and Beerus concern? Why should they care if it isn't knocking on their door.
The Kaioshin only cared about Boo because his realm was directly attacked and his kin murdered. He didn't care about Freeza and maybe Cell, although the latter I imagine he wasn't aware.

Beerus doesn't cares about Black and Trunks breaking the time rules, only threatening Bulma to get some food. Whis didn't take action also.
Last edited by LightBing on Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chelentano
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Chelentano » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:05 pm

Analytical Delusion wrote:Quick question -- How many 'bonus'/'special' chapters have there been in the DB Super manga so far? Is it just:

Those are all. They come from Jump Victory Carnival 2015 and 2016.
Steam profile: psn_chelentano
Xenoverse 2 characters: Rugal (female Saiyan), Salacadula (male Majin), Sleet (Freezer race)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:11 pm

All this talk is about recent leaked info in the new chapter?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Chelentano
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Chelentano » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Noah wrote:All this talk is about recent leaked info in the new chapter?
Possibly, nothing confirmed yet.
Steam profile: psn_chelentano
Xenoverse 2 characters: Rugal (female Saiyan), Salacadula (male Majin), Sleet (Freezer race)

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:42 pm

Chelentano wrote:
Analytical Delusion wrote:Quick question -- How many 'bonus'/'special' chapters have there been in the DB Super manga so far? Is it just:

Those are all. They come from Jump Victory Carnival 2015 and 2016.
Thanks for the confirmation. :)

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:00 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:The Hong Kong Chinese edition of Db super volume 1 is out and I'm deciding if i should buy it (i read chinese so language barrier is no issue). Does the tankoubon versiom offer anything exclusive?
Cute extra drawings between chapters and the special interview at the end (I don't know if that's in the Chinese release, though).
Yeah...pretty sure the Chinese release will contain the exact same contents.
The world is your's.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:24 pm

If this is true it's pretty weird considering Whis offered Goku to be the next God of Destruction.

So does this mean if Goku got appointed God of Destruction, he'd automatically be linked to a kaioshin?