What version did you start off with?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ikazvyr
Beyond Newbie

Re: What version did you start off with?

Post by Ikazvyr » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:27 pm

Dragon Ball debuted in Brazil in 1996. I can't tell the exact year because I was very young (born in 95), but maybe in 96 or 97. I remember watching an episode in Goku and Kuririn training arc
Then, in 2000, Dragon Ball Z aired here, and I've watched the Androids and Boo arcs properly

Also, the manga was published here in 2000 and I just don't have the edition #45 (the first brazilian publication had 83 editions)

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:41 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
dario03 wrote:Harmony Gold dub of DB. Though it was only a couple of episodes and that spliced movie. After that a few episodes of the Funi DB dub, but it was the DBZ dub with the Ocean cast when I really got into it. Or more so that's the version that actually got popular so was available.
Wow, I cant believe the extraordinary circumstances required for this.
I turned on Saturday morning cartoons one day (I think it was a Saturday :) ) and there it was. But it was gone within a month. However a decent bit later I randomly came across it on a weekday evening and I believe that one was the spliced movie.

ゴクウブラック

Post by ゴクウブラック » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:03 am

Currently watching the Buu arc of Kai ! :D I really like the OST for the episodes :)
Hey i'm just a guy that loves DBZ!

Feel free to add my facebook account ( I mostly roleplay there )
hope to become friends with all of you!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:10 am

Mexican dub of DBZ on Cartoon Network when I was 5.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:27 am

I saw an episode back in 1996, but I forgot what channel it was on. It wasn't on Cartoon Network, yet.
I began watching the dub when they began airing the Captain Ginyu Saga on Toonami.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:03 am

I started with the Saban Ocean dub, then the Funi inhouse dub, then the Westwood Ocean dub, then Blue Water GT and DB, and finally the Big Green movies before going back and watching everything in Funimation dub and then Japanese.

DreamedArtist

Post by DreamedArtist » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Here in canada YTV showed the ocean dub I believe till the end of the frieza saga and went to the funi dub with bruce falconer music till the end of the series.

So I am pretty much hooked on the music cause of the reason I grew up with it but I love the ocean dub voice vageta a lot more than the sabot one.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:42 am

Sorry DreamedArtist, but what you said is completely inaccurate.

Canada aired all of the Saban Ocean dub (which lasted from Raditz to Goku defeating Recoome), the inhouse Funi dub from that point to very early in the Cell saga, then the Westwood Ocean dub for the rest of the series.

Unless you count the legendary Kai dub, Ocean never dubbed the second half of the Freeza saga, not counting small flashbacks...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:58 am

Danfun64 wrote: Canada aired all of the Saban Ocean dub (which lasted from Raditz to Goku defeating Recoome), the inhouse Funi dub from that point to very early in the Cell saga,then the Westwood Ocean dub for the rest of the series.
I believe Canada/YTV only started getting the alternate Westwood dub during the the Cell Games, unlike the UK which got Westwood for most of the Cell arc.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:07 am

For me it was the Catalan Dub and the Japanese movie dubs back in the early 90s.
The Japanese dub series was pretty hard to get especially normal DB, so I watched all kinds of dubs back then.
The movies were easier to get I used to buy the Japanese LD/VHS movies from a Japanese shop named City Comics.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:06 am

The Funi dub of Kai. I'm actually relatively new to the Dragon Ball fandom. It was back during its first run, and it had gotten to... the first Vegeta vs Zarbon battle, I think? Early Frieza arc, anyway. So when I reached that point I switched to the older Z (still Funi dub) and watched the rest of the series.
After that I went back to Dragon Ball, watching through that and the Z version of the stuff I had watched in Kai. Then I watched GT (only time I'm watching it all). I still have yet to complete watching Kai, actually. I'll have to sit down and do that sometime before Funi begins airing the Buu arc. I've got plenty of time before that, though.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

orangebrick94
Beyond Newbie

Post by orangebrick94 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:59 am

I started watching it on Toonami during the fall of 2000 in the first grade. It was the Funimation Dub and I believe it was the Cell games Arc.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:13 pm

Can anyone confirm if the FUNi dub aired sometimes in the UK during the Buu arc?

Anyways, I was first exposed to it through the original FUNi dub by seeing some episodes on TV here and there (mainly around the Ultimate Uncut era because I was too young to remember if I saw any of it on TV from 1999 to 2004), playing the first two Budokai games and seeing Return of Cooler on VHS, Fusion Reborn on YouTube (back when people could upload stuff like that without being noticed) and A Hero's Legacy on DVD. Nowadays I prefer the Kai dub (and I just prefer Kai over Z in general because the pacing in Z is awful and it puts me to sleep) and how the dub is now with the new stuff and I'm anticipating the dub for Buu Kai. Also, I have never seen original DB or any Japanese Dragon Ball stuff aside from the first 25 episodes of Super.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:37 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Can anyone confirm if the FUNi dub aired sometimes in the UK during the Buu arc?
Yes the Funimation dub aired for some broadcasts of the Fusion saga.

I would recommend watching original Dragon Ball and the rest of the series in Japanese.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:45 pm

I started watching it in Japanese back in 96 or 97 with my father on Fuji TV every Saturday night or Sunday from Raditz arrival. That was my first experience with it and it was awesome then when I saw it on cartoon network in English with the terrible first Ocean Dub that had Bardock as a "Brilliant Scientist" I was hooked, probably because I understood it. Then in 99 or 2000 at a suncoast video store my dad got me because he was a fan too the Trunks special DVD and as its known via the dub name "Lord Slug". From that moment Future Gohan became my favorite character and DBZ has been with me since. I watched every episode on Fuji TV until the end of GT whenever that was I don't remember. I learned later on about Dragonball and didn't like it until I got a little older probably around 15 but that OP for DB is probably still in my top 5 for songs that were for the show. I think I've always liked the original Japanese cast over the English dub a little more cause it was what I saw first and it sounded better than the god awful Ocean Dub.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:02 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Can anyone confirm if the FUNi dub aired sometimes in the UK during the Buu arc?

I would recommend watching original Dragon Ball and the rest of the series in Japanese.
So, some episodes weren't dubbed by Westwood or some weren't on their first go around?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:29 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:

So, some episodes weren't dubbed by Westwood or some weren't on their first go around?
I doubt it, because as far as I'm aware only the Westwood dub for these episodes aired in Canada and the random flip flop was UK/Ireland exclusive.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:22 pm

First watched it by starting with Dragon Ball in the funi dub and immediately moving on to Dragon Ball Z in the funi dub with the Japanese score, didn't watch it as a kid though, I was born in the UK in 1998 and didn't have satellite TV when growing up (still don't in fact), so the only kids TV for me was CBBC and CITV and they didn't air DBZ or any anime outside of Yu Gi Oh and Pokemon. I saw the series a few years ago because me and my friend were both getting into anime and the first battle shonen I had seen was Bleach cos I always liked the look of it but after that I saw DB because I'd always wanted to see it for years and figured I may as well.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:48 am

That explains why one of the promo's for CNX had FUNi's dubbed Gotenks voice.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:10 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:

I have all the Westwood episodes on my computer, so that's pretty solid proof everything was dubbed. If something from the Buu arc didn't air in the UK at first then it still would have aired on Canada's YTV.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub