Glad Viz Media isn't responsible for Dragon Ball...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Glad Viz Media isn't responsible for Dragon Ball...

Post by coola » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:42 am

Sailor Moon Crystal Season 1 just got released on DVD/BD, and there is complaning about ghosting effects in some scenes (Especially with Luna) i honestly don't get it, they have perfectly fine masters? Why they need to tweak and rencode it? Same thing happened with Classic Sailor Moon anime, and saddest thing is, it stil gonna sell well, becasue it's SM :( Was Ranma lucky shot? It didn't have any of these problems. I know Viz screwed Dragon Ball manga with censorship and at times awkward translation, it is good thing they were not responsible for DVD/BD releases, image would be in 4:3, but quality would Orange Bricks-like http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... ailor-Moon
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Re: Glad Viz Media isn't responsible for Dragon Ball...

Post by TheQuazz » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:13 am

So, what you're saying this that you prefer shitty 16:9 releases of 4:3 shows than shitty 4:3 releases of 4:3 shows?
Huh?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:14 am

TheQuazz wrote:So, what your're saying this that you prefer shitty 16:9 releases of 4:3 shows than shitty 4:3 releases of 4:3 shows?
Huh?
Cropping alone isn't the end-all/be-all of how a show can be transferred and encoded.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:16 am

VegettoEX wrote:
TheQuazz wrote:So, what your're saying this that you prefer shitty 16:9 releases of 4:3 shows than shitty 4:3 releases of 4:3 shows?
Huh?
Cropping alone isn't the end-all/be-all of how a show can be transferred and encoded.
The OP was stating that they were glad that Funimation has the rights to the Dragon Ball anime series over Viz. I don't really see why.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:18 am

Sailor Moon Crystal is a brand-new show with digital masters. There is no need to clean-up or adjust its encoding. For some reason, apparently, somehow, Viz went and messed with that resulting in frames ghosting when that should never be an issue.

FUNimation does not do this with new material.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:21 am

VegettoEX wrote:Sailor Moon Crystal is a brand-new show with digital masters. There is no need to clean-up or adjust its encoding. For some reason, apparently, somehow, Viz went and messed with that resulting in frames ghosting when that should never be an issue.

FUNimation does not do this with new material.
Ah, I thought they were referring to the original Sailor Moon anime after clicking on the link they provided. My bad. Yeah, Funimation is much better with their new stuff.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:36 am

TheQuazz wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
Huh?
The OP was stating that they were glad that Funimation has the rights to the Dragon Ball anime series over Viz. I don't really see why.
Even if Viz get rights to Dragon Boxes, there was risk they would mess up with masters, same goes with newest movies and Super.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:36 pm

coola wrote:
TheQuazz wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: Cropping alone isn't the end-all/be-all of how a show can be transferred and encoded.
Even if Viz get rights to Dragon Boxes, there was risk they would mess up with masters, same goes with newest movies and Super.
Yeah, I see what you're saying now, with regards to the new movies and things.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:03 pm

It funny cause I remember Viz basically taking a shot at Funimation back when the DBZ season blu rays were coming out, bragging that their 1080p release was going to remain 4:3... yeah that didn't really work out.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:10 pm

qjz123 wrote:It funny cause I remember Viz basically taking a shot at Funimation back when the DBZ season blu rays were coming out, bragging that their 1080p release was going to remain 4:3... yeah that didn't really work out.
Even with all of my problems with the Z Blu-rays, I'd take the cropped, sometimes out of focus and poorly framed footage WAY before I'd take the extremely smeared beyond even Z Orange Brick 1 and 2 DVD levels footage, with frame blending and weird frame to frame artifacts like missing eyes or parts of the previous frame being melded with the next one.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:02 pm

I do see complaints of banding regarding the Crystal Blu-rays, but only minimal comments about ghosting (it doesn't mean there isn't mind you, just that I see plenty of comments about banding, and I can only find ONE person talking about ghosting, with others looking for ghosting specifically and seeing none.) No screencaps with ghosting have been put online either that I can find.

Ghosting was extreme on the 'original' Sailor Moon BDs from Viz.

Banding isn't a good thing, but it tends to be much more visible in screenshots than it is in motion, especially on a television, and frankly, anime fans tend to blow their top over banding in screenshots on the vast majority of anime releases. The banding in most streaming videos would, in most cases, be far more visible than the banding in the few screenshots I've seen for Viz's Crystal BDs.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:17 pm

We also would've gotten a dub with a (largely) consistent voice cast and a much more accurate script. :thumbup:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:35 pm

Viz Media owning Dragon Ball in the 90's would have given us a voice cast being done from Studiopolis, Animaze or Ocean group. We already seen Dragon Ball with a CA voice cast before with the HG dub in 1989 and Final Bout in 1997.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:41 pm

Viz probably would have just upscaled the Dragon Box footage to HD using the same process they used on the '90s Sailor Moon series.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:00 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:We also would've gotten a dub with a (largely) consistent voice cast and a much more accurate script. :thumbup:
Back in the late 90's? I doubt it, pretty much every new Funimation dub is better than anything Viz does nowadays. Especially with them being cheap with their voice actors, resulting in any non main characters in a long running series having their voice actor replaced half way through... awful stuff.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:40 pm

The Tiger & Bunny dub is fantastic which is better than it is in Japanese in my opinion. Not to mention I really like the English dub for One Punch Man too.
She/Her

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:57 pm

qjz123 wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:We also would've gotten a dub with a (largely) consistent voice cast and a much more accurate script. :thumbup:
Back in the late 90's? I doubt it, pretty much every new Funimation dub is better than anything Viz does nowadays. Especially with them being cheap with their voice actors, resulting in any non main characters in a long running series having their voice actor replaced half way through... awful stuff.
Not really, FUNimation started out as a 4Kids-esque company (its even in their name). They paid almost nothing to their actors, & even currently, Kyle Hebert mentioned they only pay $50 an hour to even their good VA's. Which is why you don't see people like Yuri Lowenthal, Cam Clarke, Wally Wingert, Ben Diskin, etc...in any of their dubs.

They isolate themselves in non-union Texas, so they can pay even less (anime dubs historically are quite cheap as it is).

* Viz often conducted unionized dubs, which is to be admired of them, while FUNimation hasn't done even one. & they do replace actors, like in Shakugan No Shana. & if they had their way, ALL their dubs would be done EXTREMELY cheap with randoms from Texas.

* & oh, you don't think that FUNimation's actors haven't left them for being cheap? You're forgetting Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham, who are kinda big deals, plus Dameon Clarke.

* FUNimation is also very liberal with their dubs, due to being US-only, while Viz is obligated by being owned by Shueisha, to send auditions overseas. The Japanese producers choose the voice they want. - Troy Baker mentioned this at Sakuracon 2010 in his "Haters Panel". Patrick Seitz & Caitlin Glass have also mentioned this.

The truth is that dubs are a luxury for something as foreign & often rather niche, as anime. People applaud FUNimation for their WIDELY, CHEAPLY AVAILABLE SUBTITLED RELEASES, NOT their dubs. There you go.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:11 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
qjz123 wrote:
Not really, FUNimation started out as a 4Kids-esque company (its even in their name). They paid almost nothing to their actors, & even currently, Kyle Hebert mentioned they only pay $50 an hour to even their good VA's. Which is why you don't see people like Yuri Lowenthal, Cam Clarke, Wally Wingert, Ben Diskin, etc...in any of their dubs.

They isolate themselves in non-union Texas, so they can pay even less (anime dubs historically are quite cheap as it is).

* Viz often conducted unionized dubs, which is to be admired of them, while FUNimation hasn't done even one. & they do replace actors, like in Shakugan No Shana. & if they had their way, ALL their dubs would be done EXTREMELY cheap with randoms from Texas.

* & oh, you don't think that FUNimation's actors haven't left them for being cheap? You're forgetting Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham, who are kinda big deals, plus Dameon Clarke.

* FUNimation is also very liberal with their dubs, due to being US-only, while Viz is obligated by being owned by Shueisha, to send auditions overseas. The Japanese producers choose the voice they want. - Troy Baker mentioned this at Sakuracon 2010 in his "Haters Panel". Patrick Seitz & Caitlin Glass have also mentioned this.

The truth is that dubs are a luxury for something as foreign & often rather niche, as anime. People applaud FUNimation for their WIDELY, CHEAPLY AVAILABLE SUBTITLED RELEASES, NOT their dubs. There you go.
Well, FUNi does the exact same thing with sending auditions to the Japanese, they have been doing that for a while now. I don't get why you're all anti-FUNi, they always stay true to the Japanese. Viz is pretty generic to be honest and FUNi still has tons of LA VAs who are in unions working with them such as Matthew Mercer, Kyle Hebert, Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham and Sean Schemmel to name a few.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:30 pm

qjz123 wrote:
Viz in the 90's would have been better than Funimation in the 90's seeing that Funimation was just as bad as 4kids, DIC and Saban at the time. Funimation was criticized for changing the scripts with bad dialogue, stupid humor and making DBZ feel like a Saturday morning cartoon by editing down the violence and removing the Japanese music. I still remember in the early 2000's when the Japanese version of DBZ was view as a TV show for adults by most fans with the violence and swearing and fans would feel like that Funimation edited down the show for little babies on Toonami. A lot of the DBZ fans watching DBZ on CN in 1998-2003 where not old enough to go on the web and see the changes to the series from Funimation.

I would imagine Viz in the 1990's would have kept the Japanese music and try to make the dub faithful to the series similar what they did with Ranma ½ from what I can remember. We would have got a English dub with CA voice actors possibly too. Not to mention I do disagree with you on current Viz dubs. Viz did release Tiger & Bunny and the dub from Studiopolis was fantastic.
She/Her

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:33 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
qjz123 wrote:
Viz in the 90's would have been better than Funimation in the 90's seeing that Funimation was just as bad as 4kids, DIC and Saban at the time. Funimation was criticized for changing the scripts with bad dialogue, stupid humor and making DBZ feel like a Saturday morning cartoon by editing down the violence and removing the Japanese music. I still remember in the early 2000's when the Japanese version of DBZ was view as a TV show for adults by most fans with the violence and swearing and fans would feel like that Funimation edited down the show for little babies on Toonami. A lot of the DBZ fans watching DBZ on CN in 1998-2003 where not old enough to go on the web and see the changes to the series from Funimation.

I would imagine Viz in the 1990's would have kept the Japanese music and try to make the dub faithful to the series similar what they did with Ranma ½ from what I can remember. We would have got a English dub with CA voice actors possibly too. Not to mention I do disagree with you on current Viz dubs. Viz did release Tiger & Bunny and the dub from Studiopolis was fantastic.
FUNi had to edit stuff out for TV but they released it uncut on DVD so I don't know why people would think that they were editing down the violence.
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)