Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:31 pm

saiyanvegetable wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Zamasu is not a one-dimensional character, most characters in Dragon Ball are not. You abusing the term just means that you have no idea what it means.

Zamasu is, indeed, shallow, but every villain in this series is. No exception.
We can argue about that, but don't tell me I don't know what the word means. He has not grown since day 1 and we can argue about it in another thread. And yes every other villain was shallow, but he wasn't supposed to be - this was the first time we've actually gotten to see a villain develop over time. Well, in theory anyway.
Him not developing doesn't mean he's one-dimensional. A one-dimensional character is defined by one trait and everything in his personality revolves around that one thing. Zamasu's hatred of mortals is a prominent trait but it's not the only one. Most characters with the degree of importance Zamasu has in the story are almost, by default, not one-dimensional. The term you're looking for is flat character, Zamasu is a flat character. But being a flat character is not necessarily bad.

The series never promised anything, you just set yourself up for diappointment if you projected your own expectations onto the character the moment you saw him.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:46 pm

Account strikes and/or bans have been issued.

A reminder that this forum encourages healthy discussion among people with all kinds of opinions on the franchise, but does not, and will not ever allow its user base to attack one another.

Please return to the intended purpose of this thread with that in mind.

Thank you.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:33 pm

I was writing my long reply but since Ajay called the shots, I won't post it.
/off-topic

Talking about the ratings, One Piece already saw better days too. In the beginning I thought it was because of people got tired of Dressrosa, but that excuse doesn't hold up anymore since the story moved on.

As for Super, with a major battle coming this week and seeming to last at least 3 episodes, we may get a better idea of what's going on.
But isn't there any way to keep getting the DVR ratings? That would be a great help to understand the live ratings.

Super airs around at 9:50 AM here in Portugal and not everyone is willing to wake up earlier either, when we can just see the recording later.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:13 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Super airs around at 9:50 AM here in Portugal and not everyone is willing to wake up earlier either, when we can just see the recording later.
A question, how does Portugal factor in Japan´s TV ratings of Super :?:
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:11 am

Instead of looking at the numbers, you should look at Super's placement in the ranks. So far, the lowest episode in this arc has been number 7 or 8, which is extremely good since we got episodes in the Champa Saga that were ranked 8 and 9. And Super destroyed all the shows below it by a wide margin.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:43 am

One thing I will say is yes Japan! Not falling for Toei's cheeky NEP. They read straight threw it! :)

Heliocentrizzle

Post by Heliocentrizzle » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:54 am

Doctor. wrote:
saiyanvegetable wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Zamasu is not a one-dimensional character, most characters in Dragon Ball are not. You abusing the term just means that you have no idea what it means.

We can argue about that, but don't tell me I don't know what the word means. He has not grown since day 1 and we can argue about it in another thread. And yes every other villain was shallow, but he wasn't supposed to be - this was the first time we've actually gotten to see a villain develop over time. Well, in theory anyway.
Him not developing doesn't mean he's one-dimensional. A one-dimensional character is defined by one trait and everything in his personality revolves around that one thing. Zamasu's hatred of mortals is a prominent trait but it's not the only one. Most characters with the degree of importance Zamasu has in the story are almost, by default, not one-dimensional. The term you're looking for is flat character, Zamasu is a flat character. But being a flat character is not necessarily bad.

The series never promised anything, you just set yourself up for diappointment if you projected your own expectations onto the character the moment you saw him.
I can only second this notion. Plus, saying he didn't grow in any way is a very weird comment.
Seeing as we have 3 different iterations of Zamasu right now, all three have a different outcome, I think it's safe to say that there's been plenty of character development. Just because we didn't get to explicitly see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:55 am

Heliocentrizzle wrote:I can only second this notion. Plus, saying he didn't grow in any way is a very weird comment.
Seeing as we have 3 different iterations of Zamasu right now, all three have a different outcome, I think it's safe to say that there's been plenty of character development. Just because we didn't get to explicitly see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
While I agree with this, seeing the development is better storytelling method than simply just showing the end result (think about Gohan development from cry baby child to a child (somewhat) willing to fight during the Saiyan Arc, in the manga we don´t see the process that Gohan underwent but we do in the anime)
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:02 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:One thing I will say is yes Japan! Not falling for Toei's cheeky NEP. They read straight threw it! :)
I highly doubt that is the case since Esp 57 that everyone loved got an average rating. As it has been stated several times, the quality of an episode doesn't influence the ratings.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Heliocentrizzle

Post by Heliocentrizzle » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:43 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Heliocentrizzle wrote:I can only second this notion. Plus, saying he didn't grow in any way is a very weird comment.
While I agree with this, seeing the development is better storytelling method than simply just showing the end result (think about Gohan development from cry baby child to a child (somewhat) willing to fight during the Saiyan Arc, in the manga we don´t see the process that Gohan underwent but we do in the anime)
Oh absolutely, I was kind of hoping that the big "who is Goku Black?" reveal would kind of do this, by using flashbacks. But they didn't.
Zamasu is a developed character, they just didn't elaborate on it very well

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:17 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: Super airs around at 9:50 AM here in Portugal and not everyone is willing to wake up earlier either, when we can just see the recording later.
A question, how does Portugal factor in Japan´s TV ratings of Super :?:
The answer- It follows my previous question:
But isn't there any way to keep getting the DVR ratings? That would be a great help to understand the live ratings.

Super airs around at 9:50 AM here in Portugal and not everyone is willing to wake up earlier either, when we can just see the recording later.
DVR ratings is something that every country has.
Super airs early here too and like I said not everyone is willing to wake up earlier, when they can just see the recording later. This is not a portuguese only behaviour, anyone can act like this. Especially the old school fanbase, who are not kids anymore. Some people also work on weekends and can't see the new episode right away.

DVR ratings are important, because it gives us a better idea of how many people are interested on the show. Some animes never reach top 10 tv ratings because of their time slot, and yet they do great in DVR ratings. Gintama and One Punch Man are two examples I remember.

We were able to get that info until episode 48, but now seems like we can't track it anymore. For weird weeks like this one where Super gets a lower rating than usual, It would be cool to get that info.

Some examples:

Episode 7 - TV 6.0% (7th) - DVR 100.0 (1st)
Episode 9 - TV 6.1% (6th) - DVR 100.0 (1st)
Episode 42 - TV 5.0% (7th) - DVR 84.1 (4th)

I always find interesting to see the other side of the coin. That's why I asked if isn't there any way to keep getting the DVR ratings.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:
saiyanvegetable wrote:

Just a comment about the topic of character dimension.

1st -> Zamasu isn't indeed a 1 dimensional character
2nd -> Zamasu also isn't a flat character
3rd -> 1 dimension character isn't a character that just has 1 predominant trait. An author can add as many traits he wants to a character and he still end up being 1 dimensional. That in fact is a major error on amateur authors.
4th -> Both dimension of a character and flatness or roundness of a character are defined by degrees and is not normally something you say a character has or doesn't have. Though is possible for a character to not have it, or totally being. This cases are rather rare though.

Let's talk first about flat character. A flat character is a supportive character(hardly we see a main character being flat) that is 1-2 dimensional and it doesn't have much change(it doesn't matter in what direction) during the story. Those characters are normally there for just one function, but they are more relevant than just a figurant/terciary character.
Opposite to a flat character a round character, isn't as you might think, a character that have major change, but a character that is well delineated by the author. A character that has 3 dimensions and that might(or not) change a lot through the story. Note that when talking about change I'm not talking of some specific aspects of the character but I'm talking of any of them(Yep, a power-up also is included in change a character has).

Now about Dimensions. Dimensions like in Math are perpendicular entities, this means that while they are related between each other, they aren't directly so. Meaning that what defines the 1st dimension(what you said as number of traits) doesn't defines the 2nd dimensions. Just like 1 geometrical dimension being a line, but making more lines doesn't make the 2nd dimension. A 2nd geometrical dimension appears when an additional aspect is presented. In this case width and creating a plane. The same with going from the 2nd to the 3rd. A ton of planes doesn't create a 3rd dimension, for that you have to had height, creating a solid. Conclusion, is not just about adding one aspect!

Let's talk of the characters dimensions:
1st dimension -> External Landscape/Personality. What the character shows to the outside.
Note that a character can show to the outside a ton of predominant aspects, that still makes him 1 dimensional. Think about a character that is predominantly characterized by his Fat, Happy, Hungry, Clumsy characteristics.

2nd dimension -> Internal Landscape/Personality. What the character keeps in the inside.
Note, this is not just about mental internal thinking. This is most of all about baggage. This is about the past, about things that the character kept(yep, I'm also talking of physical things, like scars, objects, ...), about the character objectives, dreams, and drive.
You can think of, as those things that give reason to what the character is. That is why flashbacks are one of the biggest and most used devices in literature. Though note that you can do that without flashback(example: first chapter of One Piece. Making Luffy immediately an at least 2-dimensional character).

3rd dimension -> Morals and Behaviour. What is the position the character has on things and how he acts proactively and reactively.

Note, this is not about moral conflicts of the characters, conflict is always something interesting and highly used in fiction, but it doesn't have to be conflict. Just showing a character in many situations where he has to present what is morals are and how he acts upon them, just that is the 3rd dimension.
This is more about giving enough events for the character to present himself, not for what he is shown out to be, not for what he is inside, but for what actually matters, how he "acts"(In fact a character can be presented externally has an smart guy, internally has an average guy, but in behavior as a smart guy).
This is majorly the factor that the reader/watcher/audience analyses and makes an opinion of the character.
There are stories where a character is presented in all ways in a certain manner, but the author(intentionally or unintentionally), shows the character act in a different way than that. This can be alienaiting. I Remember vividly 2 characters that I thought this happened, the main character of Planet of the Apes(2001) and John Carter(Easy to say I didn't really liked the characters nor the story that much).
(Extra XD: Light Novels currently, for what I could see, love to focus on the morals of the characters, specially the main characters, almost placing into a 2nd plane their Internal and External landscapes.).

So basically we have:
External - Internal - Morals/Behaviour

For the Zamasu, in a summarizing way:
- We have his external landscape. For majority of the arc was, the good apprentice god that was in doubt about "humanity", but with the guidance of his master it was improving.
- His internal landscape. The dark side and fascination-hate for Goku, making his desire to eradicate all "humanity".
- His Behavior. Faking to be good to his master and the others, but letting his feelings in situation of stress to burst and get the best of him, removing his facade. (Example: End of his battle against Goku, the guy he killed in front of his master, when he attacked Goku because he was placed in a corner(right before being killed by Beerus)).

In terms of degrees we can say that he doesn't have much degree on some of his dimensions, this would be a interesting discussion(opposite of the one we always get of people radically calling some character 1-dimensional), but is not arguable that he doesn't have some of them.
A character we can say that doesn't have some dimensions in fact is Zamasu Master.

Given this, Zamasu is certainly not a flat character. Even if we were only talking of change, he has(had?) 2 distinct personalities. The one of the present and the one of the future. So he in fact had growth and 2 different characterizations.

Bigivel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bigivel » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:20 pm

Konig wrote:
Sodhi wrote: Plus wtf is Time bokan 24?
It's a reboot of a 70s anime called Time Bokan. In the original story, a scientist creates a time machine and decides to test it himself, just to disapear in the middle of spacetime. The only things to go back to present are his parrot and some sort of gemstone. Then, a group of people use the time machine to search for the scientist. While in the past, they meet historical people and fight (in their time machines, apparently) another group of time travelers who seek to gather those gemstones. It's basically Time Squad meets Power Rangers. lol

Not sure if this reboot uses the same premise, though...
Time Bokan 24 is not a reboot of the 70s anime. Time Bokan is a MetaSeries, like Power Rangers, Kamen Rider, Precure. Each iteration of the Time Bokan Meta franchise has a different name, with possible the 1st one getting just the name of the entire franchise. The most popular by far iteration of the franchise is, Yatterman. Recently to celebrate the 40th years of the Time Bokan the series "Yoru no Yatterman" was made.

Conclusion, Time Bokan 24 is a continuation/return of the Time Bokan franchise.

Time Bokan iterations:
1st - Time Bokan
2nd - Yatterman
3rd - Zendarman
4th - Otasukeman
5th - Yattodetaman
6th - Ippatsu-man
7th - Itadakiman
(From January 1977 to September 1983 -> ~7 years)

Now we return for the 8th iteration(if we don't count Yatterman 2008 remake and Yoru no Yatterman),
being:
8th - Time Bokan 24

Note: Yep, this latest iteration is trying to be closer to the 1st iteration of the franchise.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:31 am

No ratings today??

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:53 am

Lujin_16 wrote:No ratings today??
Not released yet no. Probably later in the day.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:55 pm

The latest live ratings are out
Sazae San: 12.3
Chibi Maruko-chan: 8.8
one piece: 6.9
Detective Conan: 6.5
Dragon Ball Super(Episode #61): 6.0
Time Bokan 24: 4.5
Pokemon XY & Z: 3.6
Yokai Watch: 3.5
Anime March of the Lion: 3.3
Witch Pretty Cure!: 2.9
5th place not bad. One piece seems to be losing its steam. We beat time bokan 24 this time with a wide margin. Oh hey precure made it finally, after such a long time.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:57 pm

A kinda slow week, but DB did good. It seems the new anime season won't have much effect on the ratings. Time Bokan is expected to show up here every week, due to its timeslot (it's the new Detective Conan's companion), and we'll see if "March Comes in like a Lion" has legs, but it's NHK, which is always strong on viewership, so there's that.

I'm surprised that the new Monster Hunter hasn't been able to rank yet, i think Fuji was expecting a lot from it, creating a new timeslot and all. I guess having Maho Pretty Cure airing on Tv Asahi at the same time doesn't help, but then again, if it boosts sales of the new game it's gonna probably have done its job. And maybe it's also wise to give it a few weeks so kids get familiar with the timeslot.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:08 pm

Look at Pokemon it has a low rating but it seems like they don't care that much and still going with new episodes

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:24 pm

One Piece went up by 0.3% while Dragon Ball Super went up by 1.0%. So it's held up better in comparison this week and moved up a position.

dodonpa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dodonpa » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:09 pm

I was worried by seeing DBS getting lower ratings in the past weeks so it's nice to see it doing better this time. I seriously feared that the ratings could go downhill till the end of this arc.

Last episode was good, I'm hoping that the audience get hooked now that the arc is reaching it's climax.