DBZ Back on TV

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:00 pm

I will admit, Drummond sounds kind of weird for the older (and taller) Vegeta we know from the RoSaT training and onward until the end of the series. It's the same weird feeling I get when I hear Sabat ordering Nappa around.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:31 pm

I do prefer the Ocean voice cast, partly because it's how I got into DBZ, but just as much because they handled Beast Wars, which still holds a place as one of my favorite shows. Ian Corlett was fine as Goku, but the real draw is Scott McNeil's take on Piccolo. That voice is just flat-out cool, no way around it. When I first heard Sabat's version of Piccolo, I was totally annoyed; it went from McNeil's slickness to Sabat's overpowered grunting. I'm not totally trashing Sabat, because I think that his work greatly improved in later episodes where he used a more natural delivery for Piccolo, but McNeil is the voice as far as I'm concerned.
I used to have the first few episodes of the Pioneer-distributed version as the Arrival VHS, so it might be worth flipping the show on for some of that nostalgia. Like that farmer, after being shot, chiming in, "That smarts," to let us know he's not dead. Or something.

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:52 pm

GizmoKSX wrote:I do prefer the Ocean voice cast, partly because it's how I got into DBZ, but just as much because they handled Beast Wars, which still holds a place as one of my favorite shows. Ian Corlett was fine as Goku, but the real draw is Scott McNeil's take on Piccolo. That voice is just flat-out cool, no way around it. When I first heard Sabat's version of Piccolo, I was totally annoyed; it went from McNeil's slickness to Sabat's overpowered grunting. I'm not totally trashing Sabat, because I think that his work greatly improved in later episodes where he used a more natural delivery for Piccolo, but McNeil is the voice as far as I'm concerned.
I used to have the first few episodes of the Pioneer-distributed version as the Arrival VHS, so it might be worth flipping the show on for some of that nostalgia. Like that farmer, after being shot, chiming in, "That smarts," to let us know he's not dead. Or something.
McNeil is indeed an awesome voice actor. I remember kids questioning if Piccolo was voiced by an African.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1oUa0XZ7X8]Take Pride![/url]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:03 pm

GizmoKSX wrote:I do prefer the Ocean voice cast, partly because it's how I got into DBZ, but just as much because they handled Beast Wars, which still holds a place as one of my favorite shows.
Know a lot of guys who like the Bleach and Naruto dubs for the same reason as much of the Digi-cast and crew are on those shows.

Back on topic, this reminds me of how I re-watched Arrival before the Ultimate Uncut dvds debuted. While I still think of Scott McNeil's iteration of the line, "Special Beam Cannon, FIRE!" as the definitive, it was weird hearing Ian Corlett's Master Roshi after hearing Mike McFarland's for so long.

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:16 pm

Jive Talka wrote:Personally I enjoy it the way it is now, by that I mean I enjoy Drummond as the young & bratty Vegeta, and Sabat as the older, more focused Vegeta.
Thats exactly how I feel.
Purple toupee

PythonMonty504
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PythonMonty504 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:51 am

Here's something interesting I found, turns out that Toonami will instead be airing the Cell Saga instead the Saban dub episodes.

Here's a link to the announcement:

http://www.toonamiinfolink.com/modules. ... =0&thold=0

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:01 am

PythonMonty504 wrote:Here's something interesting I found, turns out that Toonami will instead be airing the Cell Saga instead the Saban dub episodes.

Neat, Cell saga.

Well, I think. From what I recall, the Cell Games had some of not only the worst dubbing, but also the worst animation to begin with...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Daizensushi-x
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daizensushi-x » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:24 am

I wonder where they will start in the Cell saga. (Y'know, like when the androids appear, or before that....or Cell Games, who knows?)

Anyways, I excited that they will showing something other than the Saiyan and Freeza sagas...they've been showing those for the past two years on and off.
I'm excited(ish). :D
-My First short film
Revenge at the Dojo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCK5q8Bcof8

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:11 am

PythonMonty504 wrote:Here's something interesting I found, turns out that Toonami will instead be airing the Cell Saga instead the Saban dub episodes.

Yay... The same spot they started last time.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:43 pm

The Cell arc is the most popular for whatever reason, so it makes sense.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:49 pm

Because the Cell saga rules.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Jamstar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jamstar » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:30 pm

I don't get it....

So, are they going to show all the DBZ episodes/sagas in order, or are they just going to skip around? What are they exactly showing?

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:35 pm

It's because of Trunks.
Purple toupee

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:38 pm

mAcChaos wrote:Because the Cell saga rules.
Indeed it does. However, I don't see why they can't just show the entire series. Just replaying a certain part of it after it hasn't aired at all for years seems kinda strange to me...

ssgOverlord
Patreon Supporter

Post by ssgOverlord » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:05 pm

It's because they were playing DBZ on Friday nights at 12am, and it went *poof* sometime in January. They were at the same spot as they are showing now.
I think I'll be buying assorted Dragon Ball things for the rest of my life.

Jamstar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jamstar » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:32 pm

Are they just showing the Cell Saga and that's it?

Where does the Cell Saga start at? I haven't watched it in so long.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:44 pm

Jamstar wrote:Are they just showing the Cell Saga and that's it?

Technically it begins with the Arrival of Trunks and Mecha Freeza.

Jamstar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jamstar » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:53 pm

tarsonis wrote:
Jamstar wrote:Are they just showing the Cell Saga and that's it?

Technically it begins with the Arrival of Trunks and Mecha Freeza.

Oh, ok. Do you know how many sagas they are going to show in all?

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:10 pm

Jamstar wrote:Oh, ok. Do you know how many sagas they are going to show in all?
Depends. If enough people actually watch, we might make it all the way through the Cell Games. But we've been in this situation before-- DragonBall Z isn't the ratings smash it was years ago when the episodes were new, so it might just end up like what happened last year and die midway through when it gets replaced by something else.

The airing of the redubbed Saiyan and Namek sagas two years ago really was the last hurrah for DBZ on Cartoon Network, methinks. I can't say I know what the ratings for that were, but I think it's going to be the last time we see any real committment from CN on airing a whole chunk of DBZ.

~Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:22 pm

I purposely went out and bought a blank VHS (yes I still have a VCR darnit >_> ) because I thought it was going to be the Ocean saiyajin saga eps.

Cell Saga I've got on tapes somewhere in my room so there's no need for me to tape it if that's the case. :(
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!