"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE 2" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:42 am

Bullza wrote:
Okay, I have to ask an honest question here - why does it even matter if they port things over or not? In terms of stuff that's going to be there still from the last game, what would be the point in re-creating new versions of the exact same assets again? Just so they could say that they did?
Because it's cheap and lazy and people shouldn't have to pay $60 for the same thing again.

I clicked on a four hour long beta video from Team Four Star and clicked through it randomly and I saw one new stage. Every other stage was taken directly from the first game with no changes.

Even if the Tenkaichi games did have the same recycled stages (they don't) at least with those they added a lot of extra stages and characters. Stages and characters that had never been in previous DBZ games.

Likewise again I've only seen four stages that weren't already in the last game. All of the new characters being included on this game have been in multiple previous games already and they're essentially the leftovers that weren't important enough to be in the first game.

Once again nobody seems to be able to tell !e what the actual story is for this game because u like with the first Xenoverse they haven't said.

From the looks of it is also going to be the same thing again where you go from Raditz to Buu fixing the timeline after they get powered up with dark energy.

I asked if the game had any new original characters like how Xenoverse had Demigra and Chronoa and nobody has answered that question either which pretty much means the answer is no.

This is why people got bored of DBZ games in the first place because they had all became the same. Xenoverse was successful because it wasn't the same.

Now Xenoverse 2 is making the same mistake as before by just being the same thing yet again.
It's quite obvious that your idea of realistic seems to be you just pulling things out of your Namek-hole.
Yeah it's so unrealistic for a game developer to wait for a few years between sequels so they can spend the time to make significant changes and improvements. No game developer has ever done anything like that before!
I am someone who works with gaming, small games mind you. There is nothing lazy about reusing assets. It takes months to build a workable character rig and that isn't including putting the controls in so the player can move the character. So you can call the developers many things, but lazy isn't one of them and people need to stop throwing around that word.

You can complain about them not adding as many characters as you want or not making as many new stages, since these are real complaints. However, reusing assets for a game that is a sequel is smart, because why the hell would you rebuild everything from the ground up unless you're creating a new engine or making a completely new game.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:47 am

cuz nothing should be changed about xenoverse only improved and adding more content which xenoverse does.
why should they change the xenoverse stages?
using the old ones and adding new ones sounds good enough. why should they waste time and money on changing old stages when they can make new ones and add them to the old stages?
It's a damn good thing that developers don't share your mindset.

Why should they change the stages? Well why shouldn't they? If you've already played on them many times already in the first game and now you're going to be paying $60 for a new game then you should not want to do the same thing.

I do get it and I could accept it if they added as many new stages. However many stages were playable in Xenoverse, make the same amount for Xenoverse 2 that way we now have twice as many stages.

But the game is just a couple weeks away and we've only seen four, a patheticly low four. That's nothing, that's a DLC pack.

There's no Beerus planet stage, no King Kai's planet stage, no Otherworld Tournament stage, no Orange Star High School stage, no Sacred Land of Korin stage etc.

Same with the characters. How many characters were in the first game? Like 40-50? How many are new for the second game? Like 10-20? Where's the other 30 new characters?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:58 am

Bullza wrote:
The answer is that we don't know until the game is out. The game does follow the same basic outline, but we have Towa stealing Toki Toki's egg which could POSSIBLY birth Fu, from Dragon Ball Online.
That's not really good enough though is it? We knew what the general story was for Xenoverse and it was interesting. They teased Demigra and showed other new characters.

I made these complaints a couple months back and people were saying "Ah don't worry they'll tell us soon or show us something". It's October, there's nothing. There were whole threads discussing what the story would be for the follow up.

Nobody suggested wanted the exact same thing. That's all that this seems to be. Going from Raditz to Buu and making sure things play out the same. We already did that in the last game.

The entire hope for something original at the moment lies in what's in that damn egg.
If this was the case, people wouldn't hold Meteor and 3 as the huge successful games they are.
You say huge and successful but it sold even worse than the previous games. They were selling worse and worse because people were tired of the same thing. That's exactly why Xenoverse did so well and now the mistake again.

The game might be better though that's not saying much because Xenoverse wasn't very good to begin with. Being able to choose between more pairs of boots isn't going to make up for what it appears to be lacking.
There's a lot that were made to improve upon XV1's CaC system.
I don't care about playing dress up though.
A cheap and lazy thing done from Budokai 2 to 3 and through all of the Tenkaichi games and all of the last gen spike games and licensed games in general.
:lol: That doesn't excuse it. Just because those games were cheap and lazy doesnt mean it's ok for this game to be aswell. That's why half these DBZ games were so crap. Xenoverse was saved by having original ideas in the story and the characters which so far this seems to be lacking.

Once again considering how the sales just kept dropping year after year for being lazy and being the same thing every game then that is not what they should be doing.
Remaking all of the assets for no reason would be stupid and a waste of time and money.
Which would be alright if they were adding enough to make up for it. They've shown a paltry four new stages, that's it, two of which were locations in previous games and the other being yet another wasteland. Where's Beerus' planet?

Pretty much all the new characters are like I said the leftover characters who weren't important enough to be in the last one.

Have they even shown Tagoma? Or Shisami? They've never been in a game and they were about before development started so where are they?
You think Dimps has anything to do with it? Xenoverse is a licensed game and Bandai wants a game out pretty much every year. Xenoverse is a budget anime game, not a AAA game with a 200 million dollar budget.
Right so the games suffer out of greed because the developers want a game every single year. Rather than having the common sense to realise that they'd benefit from letting their developers have the time to make a worthwhile follow up they instead want these things crapped out.

Why? Xenoverse sold 3 million copies. Isn't that good enough for them to give a sequel a bit more time and money? Why couldn't they have just let Fusions be the game for this year. They're also making money off of Heroes.

There doesn't need to be a game every year. If there does why not do a cycle with another developer so Dimps has more time? It's like you're saying that were supposed to have such low standards because that's what's expected.

How dare I think Xenoverse 2 should have come out in late 2017 so it could have had all the DBS characters in it and more stages with less recycled content. That'd be just too much value for money then.
You have no right to call these developers lazy because they don't rebuild stuff from the ground up, something that most developers don't do unless pressed. Nintendo for example uses the same Mario model from the Gamecube with minor changes. Mario Galaxy 2 was made with 80-90% reused assets from Mario Galaxy 1 and it got higher reviews, is considered on of the greatest games of all time, and it sold almost as much as the first game. It called being smart because it takes months to build just one workable model and this is before player input is included. It also take months to make maps where he player don't fall off of it and is interactive. So if you can reused assets, you should, which is one of the first lessons I learned when I was studying game design.

Also, you're complaining about paying 60 dollars for a game, when in truth you should be paying a hell of a lot more. Games are expensive. Even the cheaper game you can create today is more expressive than a PS2 game unless you're going mobile, which is why a lot of game companies died last generation. Honestly, you should be paying closer to 90 to over 100 dollars a pop for even a mid-tier game.

If you're so worry about the story just being Raditz to Buu (which is flawed since it's going to at least Resurrection 'F'), then don't buy the game until people play the story mode all the way through and you can judged for yourself if it's worth it, because this time they don't want to tell you too much about what is going on, unlike with Xenoverse 1 when they were trying to get people to buy the game for the story mode.
Bullza wrote:
cuz nothing should be changed about xenoverse only improved and adding more content which xenoverse does.
why should they change the xenoverse stages?
using the old ones and adding new ones sounds good enough. why should they waste time and money on changing old stages when they can make new ones and add them to the old stages?
It's a damn good thing that developers don't share your mindset.

Why should they change the stages? Well why shouldn't they? If you've already played on them many times already in the first game and now you're going to be paying $60 for a new game then you should not want to do the same thing.

I do get it and I could accept it if they added as many new stages. However many stages were playable in Xenoverse, make the same amount for Xenoverse 2 that way we now have twice as many stages.

But the game is just a couple weeks away and we've only seen four, a patheticly low four. That's nothing, that's a DLC pack.

There's no Beerus planet stage, no King Kai's planet stage, no Otherworld Tournament stage, no Orange Star High School stage, no Sacred Land of Korin stage etc.

Same with the characters. How many characters were in the first game? Like 40-50? How many are new for the second game? Like 10-20? Where's the other 30 new characters?
Most game developers share this mindset actually. It's only gamers who share your particular mindset. And Xenoverse 2 has more than 10 to 20 characters.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Will
Beyond Newbie

Post by Will » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:21 am

THEGOKU wrote:Now I will enjoy this game very very much but I think that expectations were too high for this. Since X1 was so good the only logical sense is that the sequel would do the same however it doesn't seem to be the case. Copy and paste job maybe but we haven't seen the whole game or played the whole game to really say that this is just a copy and paste. Now while I too am disappointed at a lot of the stuff they did I'm just happy that we are getting a sequel to the game and that we have something to critique they can build upon and hopefully make the game we all would want. I think what would really push me over the edge is the DLC. As someone buying the season pass frost and cabba is cool no doubt and it may add one more character but I think we all would prefer just give us character packs take the time and add all the U6 fighters and not do a two part U6 pack. This is what it is.
They said Cabba and Frost are part of the first DLC, not that they are the only two in dlc 1:
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/statu ... 1989497856

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:09 am

JimmyRustam wrote:
emperior wrote:Is it only me or does Black look bad? The hair shouldn't have any highlight and I hope they will get his eyes good.
You mean something like this? : https://twitter.com/Name_Eingeben/statu ... 07168?s=09

This is awesome
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Scarlet Spider
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scarlet Spider » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:22 am

emperior wrote:
JimmyRustam wrote:
emperior wrote:Is it only me or does Black look bad? The hair shouldn't have any highlight and I hope they will get his eyes good.
You mean something like this? : https://twitter.com/Name_Eingeben/statu ... 07168?s=09

This is awesome
At least in the PC version, they'll fix his model via mods.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:10 am

HeroR wrote:
If you're so worry about the story just being Raditz to Buu (which is flawed since it's going to at least Resurrection 'F')
Considering GT will be in the base game, it might be safe to say that we'll be going into the GT saga as well (Hell, maybe before the BoG and RoF)

Also, why is everyone assuming that Xenoverse 3 will be a thing? We've been given no indication that we'll get a XV 3 until we see how well 2 does.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Shin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:12 am

I know this is just a network test but... jeez these servers are a joke.
Dragon Ball /Z/GT/Super is a children's show and there's nothing wrong with that.

Viewtiful Jess
Beyond Newbie

Post by Viewtiful Jess » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:37 am

This game definitely feels a lot better than XV1, I'm super excited to play the full game after getting my hands on this beta!
  • ✪ 2008 - Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!
    ✪ 2009 - Dragon Ball: Raging Blast
    ✪ 2010 - Dragon Ball Online / Dragon Ball Heroes
    ✪ 2011 - Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock
    ✪ 2015 - Dragon Ball: Xenoverse / Dragon Ball Super
    ✪ 2016 - Dragon Ball: Fusions
Dragon Ball AF is REAL

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:52 am

The open beta begins today right? It it just up for download in the playstation store?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:12 am

Bullza wrote:I clicked on a four hour long beta video from Team Four Star and clicked through it randomly and I saw one new stage. Every other stage was taken directly from the first game with no changes.
Okay, right there you've shot you own defense in the leg. Not even in the foot - in the leg. Seeing a four hour video and just randomly clicking around in it and going 'Aha! I only saw ONE new thing!' is...not exactly the greatest point to be coming from.

I can understand not wanting to watch a video that long (I've still only made it about 1 1/2 hours into it so far myself), but you can't just skip around it and then declare that the product they're showing off only has like one new thing because that's all you happened to see in one of your random clicks. You could have just as easily clicked other random places and seen nothing and been even more wrong on that front.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:14 am

THEGOKU wrote:The open beta begins today right? It it just up for download in the playstation store?
Yup, starts today. In fact, I think it was up at 1:00 am PST
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

desu
Beyond Newbie

Post by desu » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:39 am

Well, that wasn't too much, like I expected, Rymesthyle likes to exagerate anyway, 2 characters confirmed and Black gameplay. At this point I only want to enjoy the game while it lasts and have fun collecting everything (which will be less flustating now at least).

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:07 am

Bandai Namco US uses "Kyabe" while Bandai Namco Europe uses "Cabe".

I think I'll just stick with Cabba. :roll:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

yugidmx5
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yugidmx5 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:48 am

I wonder if they'll release english trailer soon including Black's dub voice (maybe Sean will make him sound somewhat similar to the Paradox from Yu-Gi-Oh! movie whom he had also voiced since in my opinion the characters have some similarity in their personalities but who knows). Can't wait for some news about that.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:50 am

Doubt that. XV2 is practically upon us, there won't be any more trailer. Maybe "Launch Trailer" as some games get, but even that I think it's unlikely since XV1 didn't get one.

But we still have V-Jump magazine, maybe some more interesting stuff there?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:55 am

So if you can reused assets, you should, which is one of the first lessons I learned when I was studying game design.
That's not so much the problem though when it includes reused stages, character models, animations, music and cutscenes then it's a bit much.

My issue is that it mostly looks like reused assets. I don't know the exact numbers but if they made 45 characters(not including DLC) for the first game and 21 stages then they should make a similar amount for Xenoverse 2.

But what so far we've seen about 15ish new characters and 4 new stages. The amount of new stages in particular is pathetic with what they've showed.
If you're so worry about the story just being Raditz to Buu (which is flawed since it's going to at least Resurrection 'F'), then don't buy the game until people play the story mode all the way through
That's not really a good argument is it? The first game was Raditz to Beerus with an original villain at the end. This one would appear to be Raditz to Golden Frieza so it's 90% the same thing as before with maybe no new villain.
because this time they don't want to tell you too much about what is going on, unlike with Xenoverse 1 when they were trying to get people to buy the game for the story mode.
That's what's concerning. They're showing nothing. Last time they showed an original story off with original characters and it got people interested and was why it did well.

This time there's none of that. The only story that I can make out is just that it's the exact same as before where you go through the story of DBZ fixing the changes except this time there's different changes.

Not particularly very interesting in comparison is it? This period should all be about trying to sell people the game.
Seeing a four hour video and just randomly clicking around in it and going 'Aha! I only saw ONE new thing!' is...not exactly the greatest point to be coming from.
What's wrong with the point? I was referring to the new stages. I said I clicked through a four hour long gameplay session of the game, I saw a lot of fighting of course in many different stages but only one wasn't already in the first game. One out of the several stages that I saw wasn't already in the last game.

I'm sure there will be more but the game being two weeks away and them only showing us four new stages can't be defended that's pitiful.

Xaroc
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xaroc » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:04 pm

Okay, seriously. Is it just me or are some CaC Time Patrol Namekian Random Enemies EXTREMELY broken? They just recover more health than I can cause damage when they are near death.
PSN: Xaroc__
(playing Xenoverse 2 on PS5)
CaC-Name: Xaroc

交代だ ("Kōtaida")
"My turn." - Roxas, 2019

Zenkashuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkashuu » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:25 pm

Played the beta for a while, impressions so far:
  1. Improved gameplay.

Annoying loading times.

Bad hit detection on online matches.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:39 pm

Nice to know that some of the Universe 6 will be joining the roster. While I'm pretty indifferent to Cabba and Frost, it will be interesting to see what kind of play-style they'll bring to the table. I think Hit and Magetta will be the most intriguing to play as, if they hopefully make it into the game.