When will the first female Super Saiyan appear in the anime (if at all)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

When will the first female Super Saiyan appear in the anime (if at all)?

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:35 am

In any DB anime (whether it's Super or a new series), when will we see a female Super Saiyan? Chris Sabat has already said he hopes to see this in DB Super and we've been seeing it now in Xenoverse. So, how hard is it to introduce into the anime canon? The only way I can see Sabat getting his wish though is if Goku and Vegeta end up going to Cabba's universe and find out he has taught a female Saiyan how to transform into a Super Saiyan, which would make her the first official one outside of games. I understand Super Saiyan is now outclassed by the newer forms, but it'd still be nice to finally get what we've always wondered about in the anime. Also, I still find it incredibly lazy from what I've heard in a rumor about Toriyama saying he never designed a female Super Saiyan because he didn't know how it would work. Really? If he had said it never fit into the narrative, that would make much more sense.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: When will the first female Super Saiyan appear in the anime (if at all)?

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:48 am

mecha3000 wrote:Also, I still find it incredibly lazy from what I've heard in a rumor about Toriyama saying he never designed a female Super Saiyan because he didn't know how it would work. Really? If he had said it never fit into the narrative, that would make much more sense.
That's a fake quote. Toriyama has never addressed that in any interview. This is the closest you'll get towards the subject and the often-quoted segment you referenced doesn't exist.
TV Anime Guide: Dragon Ball Tenka’ichi Densetsu wrote:Koyama: Er, there’s something I’d like to ask you - does the Saiyan race have any women? There are no female Saiyans drawn in the original work.
Toriyama: I didn’t draw any.
Koyama: Are there no women, then? I’m often asked by Dragon Ball fans.
Toriyama: Actually, I’m sure they at least exist.
Koyama: Well, children are born, so they wouldn’t be there without women, is what you’re saying?
Toriyama: That’s right. If I remember correctly, in an anime special (A Final, Solitary Battle), a female Saiyan also appeared.
Koyama: Plus, Vegeta married Bulma and had a child with her, so there would have to have been women.
Toriyama: I hadn’t thought about it too deeply… but since they’re a warrior race, I think I simply didn’t draw any women. If it were this day and age, I might have drawn strong women, as well.
Koyama: It was a time when there were hardly any anime with women who fought, wasn’t it?
Toriyama: Well, it’d be hard to defeat a woman.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:41 am

If GT never gave Pan Super Saiyan despite making her such an important character, I'd say the chances of it happening are close to zero.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:08 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:If GT never gave Pan Super Saiyan despite making her such an important character, I'd say the chances of it happening are close to zero.
It happened in DB Heroes, so maybe it will in a main story once Toriyama finally retires. Like, completely retires, not even contributing character designs like he did in GT.
Retired.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:33 am

All the female Saiyans are dead so the closest you'll get is Pan and Bra, in my headcanon Pan and Oob both lead the next generation of fighters years after the story ends but that's just my headcanon of course. I wouldn't mind seeing a spin off anime adaptation of the Jaco manga with maybe a special episode for Dragon Ball Minus which would have us see Gine in the anime.

ThePrinceOfSaiyans
Beyond Newbie

Post by ThePrinceOfSaiyans » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:55 am

Toriyama has never done a female Super Saiyan based on not knowing how it would look or how to present it.

However, I feel he wants to demonstrate Pan has a lot of potential being Gohan's daugther, so maybe during Super will can expect to see that.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:33 am

The odds of the answer being "never" are pretty high as long as they don't decide to make a Dragon Ball Heroes anime.
Which is a bit of a shame, really, because we have a lot of potential players. Pan, Bulla, every female on Planet Salad in Universe 6... but Toriyama doesn't seem to want to do it, at least not at the moment.
It's worth mentioning that Pan and Bulla, daughters of Ultimate Gohan and Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta respectively, should have immense potential. They (their canon versions, so no GT) just haven't been in a situation that can trigger the transformation, though according to the Super Saiyan inheritance theory they should basically be Super Saiyan at birth at this point. I suppose life's been nice to them. As for the Universe 6 saiyans, they should have been in plenty of those situations, but they've never heard of Super Saiyan before (until Cabba most likely shows them after the Champa arc), so apparently they haven't.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:53 pm

I genuinely feel that once we go past end of Z that Pan will become a Super Saiyan.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:01 pm

I remember the Perfect Files mention "When the evilest of dangers arrives, perhaps the first female Super Saiyans in history will appear!?". I think Toei may had Pan and Bra go SSj in GT, but probably scrap the idea. Maybe Bandai and Toei didn't think SSj Pan and SSj Bra merchandise would sell well. The series is made for young boys after all and Toei & Bandai probably think that female characters don't sell that well.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:02 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It happened in DB Heroes.
No, Pan doesn't have Super Saiyan in Dragon Ball Heroes.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:05 pm

When it pops into Toryiama's head and he goes "Huh... I might do that..." or Toei give it too him as an idea that he likes.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:15 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:If GT never gave Pan Super Saiyan despite making her such an important character, I'd say the chances of it happening are close to zero.
I believe it's possible but not definite. If Japan has become any more progressive then it's certainly possible and there's no reason why it can't happen.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:22 pm

My personal guess is:

A) Pan and Bra if a timeskip ever happens.

Or

B) The Queen of Planet Salad if they ever get to visit there. (I'm still betting she's Kyabe's mom.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It happened in DB Heroes.
No, Pan doesn't have Super Saiyan in Dragon Ball Heroes.
I only meant that there is a female Super Saiyan in Heroes. Sorry for not clarifying.
Retired.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:35 pm

Nevermind that. But let's just remember that female Super Saiyans made their debut in Dragon Ball Online, and Toriyama spent years in its production. So there are chances he was the one who created the designs for the female Super Saiyan there.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:25 pm

If Super goes past EOZ, there's every chance Pan could get a SSJ form, but I don't bank it at all.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Deathbringer wrote:All the female Saiyans are dead so the closest you'll get is Pan and Bra, in my headcanon Pan and Oob both lead the next generation of fighters years after the story ends but that's just my headcanon of course. I wouldn't mind seeing a spin off anime adaptation of the Jaco manga with maybe a special episode for Dragon Ball Minus which would have us see Gine in the anime.
No, please, I want Minus to stay away from the anime. Keep it away!
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:47 pm

IMO, Android 18 is pretty much the closest thing to a female SSJ. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:21 am

It already happened, did you forget?

Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:19 am

Only if it's important to the plot otherwise never.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.