Characters dying

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Characters dying

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:50 am

In the manga and the anime, during the time when majin vegeta was about to sacrifice himself to buu, he asked Piccolo what would happen to him when he was dead. Piccolo answered because he was evil in the beginning, he would go to hell, lose his body and be reincarnated into another soul. If that would happen to him, why didn't it happen to Cell, Freeza and more of the evil characters, because you see them in hell watching Goku fight Kid Buu in their bodies in the anime? It makes no sense?? :? Wouldn't they have been reincarnated by now or is this just one of those moments when it wasn't thought about properly?
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:57 am

We see the other villains in Hell anime-only. It makes for good filler though.
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:14 am

Mr.Piccolo wrote:We see the other villains in Hell anime-only. It makes for good filler though.
-Rick
Yeah but wouldn't that confuse a lot of people? I mean, i liked seeing Cell and the other villians in hell with their bodies but you can't just say something as what Piccolo said for the record and not use that system again.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Re: Characters dying

Post by Pieter » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:34 am

mysteriousdbzgt wrote:In the manga and the anime, during the time when majin vegeta was about to sacrifice himself to buu, he asked Piccolo what would happen to him when he was dead. Piccolo answered because he was evil in the beginning, he would go to hell, lose his body and be reincarnated into another soul. If that would happen to him, why didn't it happen to Cell, Freeza and more of the evil characters, because you see them in hell watching Goku fight Kid Buu in their bodies in the anime? It makes no sense?? :? Wouldn't they have been reincarnated by now or is this just one of those moments when it wasn't thought about properly?
Isn't this when he's already dead? And asks what will happen if he dies once more?

Because I still think that villians do stay in hell normally. Otherwise Vegeta couldnt have been revived to begin with.
Last edited by Pieter on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1oUa0XZ7X8]Take Pride![/url]

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:40 am

mysteriousdbzgt wrote:Yeah but wouldn't that confuse a lot of people? I mean, I liked seeing Cell and the other villains in hell with their bodies but you can't just say something as what Piccolo said for the record and not use that system again.
I understand what you mean. There's a lot of inconsistencies between the manga and anime. An example of this is the Vegeta seeing SSj Goku on Namek which was brought up here not too long ago. It can be a bit confusing but I like seeing the villains in hell. :)
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:08 pm

Pieter wrote: Isn't this when he's already dead? And asks what will happen if he dies once more?

Because I still think that villians do stay in hell normally. Otherwise Vegeta couldnt have been revived to begin with.
Actually, he was still alive when he asked Piccolo that. It was right before he blew himself up to kill fat Buu.

And the reason he was revived was that King Yenma decided that something was going on, and perhaps Vegeta shouldn't be sent for reincarnation just yet. According to the Viz manga (which is the most convenient version of what happened I've got now, the following conversation took place. I'm sure somebody else can tell you exactly what was said in the original Japanese version.

Yenma: Well...I'm glad I had kept your spirit intact, just in case...and gave you a body besides.

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:08 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:
mysteriousdbzgt wrote:Yeah but wouldn't that confuse a lot of people? I mean, I liked seeing Cell and the other villains in hell with their bodies but you can't just say something as what Piccolo said for the record and not use that system again.
I understand what you mean. There's a lot of inconsistencies between the manga and anime. An example of this is the Vegeta seeing SSj Goku on Namek which was brought up here not too long ago. It can be a bit confusing but I like seeing the villains in hell. :)
-Rick
Yeah i guess your right

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:40 pm

Considering kids watched the show, I'm of the opinion that the other villians kept their bodies as a way for the viewer to recognize them. If they actually showed them as little clouds with names and arrows, it may have gotten a bit confusing. :D
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:54 pm

Sedorna wrote:
Pieter wrote: Isn't this when he's already dead? And asks what will happen if he dies once more?

Actually, he was still alive when he asked Piccolo that. It was right before he blew himself up to kill fat Buu.

And the reason he was revived was that King Yenma decided that something was going on, and perhaps Vegeta shouldn't be sent for reincarnation just yet. According to the Viz manga (which is the most convenient version of what happened I've got now, the following conversation took place. I'm sure somebody else can tell you exactly what was said in the original Japanese version.

Yenma: Well...I'm glad I had kept your spirit intact, just in case...and gave you a body besides.
Could be, but Vegeta died on Namek too and was revived without any problems. Why would King Yemma help him then too?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1oUa0XZ7X8]Take Pride![/url]

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Pieter wrote: Could be, but Vegeta died on Namek too and was revived without any problems. Why would King Yemma help him then too?
He didn't. It apparently takes awhile for the average person to reach the "check-in station". Vegeta probably hadn't reached it yet.

Or else the dragon's power of bringing somebody back to life supercedes everything else. Though that might be an explanation as to why the Dragon can't bring somebody back after a year. They don't exist anymore. (Sure, it took Radditz not too long to get sent to Hell, but we don't know how long he might wait in Hell to be reincarnated. Maybe it takes a year to fill out the paperwork, or something.)

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Considering the burocracy references in afterlife things (filler and non), I'm likely to agree that it takes a while for dead villains to be reincarnated.
And eh, maybe the Villains in Hell thing is ... sensory? Ok, another theory I'm proposing but don't particularly believe: maybe they were just little clouds in Hell, but since we only saw them in Hell (not counting the Kaio training, which is special anyway), we see them from a soul's perspective, which may see the original body even though it isn't really there... which is why Paikuhan owned Cell with ease... Cell's power was only really effective on the other souls, because from anyone else's perspective they were just clouds (although since Goku and Paikuhan were sent to kick their asses, they probably had special Villavision).
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:26 pm

The funny thing is, that at some points (most notably movie 12) we see both the soul cleansing/recycling system and Hell both at once. I mean, what's the point of having a place for bad souls to begin with?

Perhaps the especially bad ones (such as Freeza and Cell) are kept confined in Hell rather than reincarnated, just in case.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:33 pm

That's how I thought the anime did it. They let people who did great deeds keep their bodies; it could be great evil, or great good. The rest get thrown into the recycling bin.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell