Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:15 pm

FoolsGil wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I really like how Goku was drawn in this page, Asura is great, maybe even better than Toyotaro
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:23 pm

Asura is definitely better than Toyotaro art wise. I don't dislike him but I feel like he can't properly make a big memorable scene fighting wise happen, he's almost too simplistic for his own good. Asura gives scenes added detail and a certain "omph!" I think Toyotaro could learn a thing or two from.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:28 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Asura is definitely better than Toyotaro art wise. I don't dislike him but I feel like he can't properly make a big memorable scene fighting wise happen, he's almost too simplistic for his own good. Asura gives scenes added detail and a certain "omph!" I think Toyotaro could learn a thing or two from.
The problem with Asura is, his art looks "too perfect". Dragon Ball 1-42 did not look like that.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:29 pm

Cetra wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Asura is definitely better than Toyotaro art wise. I don't dislike him but I feel like he can't properly make a big memorable scene fighting wise happen, he's almost too simplistic for his own good. Asura gives scenes added detail and a certain "omph!" I think Toyotaro could learn a thing or two from.
The problem with Asura is, his art looks "too perfect". Dragon Ball 1-42 did not look like that.
I agree it can look almost too good to the point of potentially being rigid whereas Toyotaro never suffers from that problem. That being said, I'll take it over the entire Boo arc art which, barring the chapter where Goku kills Kid Boo, looks lazy as hell.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:34 pm

I think Asura's art is better but Toyotaro's is much more Dragon Ball-esque. I think he nails Toriyama's art style in regards to character designs better than Asura, too. Asura's art is also too cluttered at points, there's too much stuff going on in certain pages.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:36 am

Doctor. wrote:I think Asura's art is better but Toyotaro's is much more Dragon Ball-esque. I think he nails Toriyama's art style in regards to character designs better than Asura, too. Asura's art is also too cluttered at points, there's too much stuff going on in certain pages.
Which do you ultimately prefer then? Assuming Asura had a chance of drawing Super?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:01 am

I can give Asura the edge based on the technical quality of his art, but I think Toyotaro's panel layouts/storyboards are far more dynamic and visually interesting. He might not draw the characters as good (his lineart and shading can be a little primitive at times), but he draws them in more interesting postures/positions, and from more variable angles.

Also, it's worth noting that Toyotaro has to draw around 30 pages each month. As a hobbyist, Asura has more time to work on each page.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:15 am

ParkerAL wrote:Also, it's worth noting that Toyotaro has to draw around 30 pages each month. As a hobbyist, Asura has more time to work on each page.
Since Asura can only work on his free time and since DBM tries to keep a sort of schedule instead of just releasing whenever they want, I doubt that.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:49 am

Fionordequester wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I think Asura's art is better but Toyotaro's is much more Dragon Ball-esque. I think he nails Toriyama's art style in regards to character designs better than Asura, too. Asura's art is also too cluttered at points, there's too much stuff going on in certain pages.
Which do you ultimately prefer then? Assuming Asura had a chance of drawing Super?
For Dragon Ball, Toyotaro. For an original work, Asura.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:10 pm

rereboy wrote:Since Asura can only work on his free time and since DBM tries to keep a sort of schedule instead of just releasing whenever they want, I doubt that.
I understand that, but I feel there would at least be more time for him to consider whether he wants to make any improvements to a certain page. That happens a lot with the drawings I work on. I'll draw something in pencil and then come back and look at it again a few days (or often in my case, weeks) later with fresh eyes, to see if I notice any mistakes I want to touch up before inking. You end up approaching the work with a different (perhaps more deliberate) mindset.

In case it's not clear, I'm very impressed with Asura's output and professional work ethic. I just feel Toyotaro's schedule is probably a tad more constraining, especially when you consider the greater number of panels he includes in each page. Multiverse usually averages about five or six.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:05 pm

Please work. Please work. :twisted:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:09 pm

Ginyu.... If you pull this shit off.... By Odin's balls I will take back what I said about you in the unpopular opinions thread.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:13 pm

If Ginyu succeeds, this might turn out to be one of the most satisfying moments in this whole tournament.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:14 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Welp... color me surprised.
Retired.

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TonyTheTiger » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:16 pm

I like where this is going!

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:42 pm

WHAT THE F@#?!

I'm so glad I didn't see that coming at all. Love it, even if it doesn't work.
It'll be interesting to reread all of Cold's scenes knowing it was Ginyu all along (unless it's Cold himself who somehow learned the Body Change but I doubt that).
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been blatantly inspired by Akira Toriyama's manga.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:47 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:WHAT THE F@#?!

I'm so glad I didn't see that coming at all. Love it, even if it doesn't work.
It'll be interesting to reread all of Cold's scenes knowing it was Ginyu all along (unless it's Cold himself who somehow learned the Body Change but I doubt that).
So this whole time, Ginyu's been able to fool the Frieza Clan? Holy shit.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Holy shit, if Ginyu pulls this off... then I mean... wow.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Would a Tagoma joke be appropriate here?
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:57 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Would a Tagoma joke be appropriate here?
There's no universe in which it wouldn't be appropriate. So, in short, YES!!!