Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

neolux
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 64

Post by neolux » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:31 pm

Ajay wrote: he basically doesn't reference anything in regards to movement (doesn't look at other animation or drawings), and has no martial arts experience. Instead he focuses on "rhythm" and "breathing"; he's conscious of breathing, in particular, while drawing.[/b]
Breathing? I don't quite get what he refers to when he says he's conscious of that haha sorry I'm really ignorant on animation regards :crazy:

supersaiyan DbZ fan
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyan DbZ fan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:47 am

Wow! You guys are really into this animation, I mean, you guys identify what was drawn by who, I just come here to see the comparisons and best shots :lol:
But overall, the animation is getting better and better, and I'm proud of it.
One tiny thing was that Krillin had a nose a few weeks ago :lol:
Someone hit me up when Krillin, Tien, Yamcha, Chiaotzu :lolno:, Goten, Buu, and Gohan :!: :!: :!: become relevant again :?

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:20 am

Ajay wrote:Something you guys might be interested in regarding Naotoshi Shida's animation style:

He tweeted a response to a guy asking about his animation style and how he developed it, and he responded saying that he basically doesn't reference anything in regards to movement (doesn't look at other animation or drawings), and has no martial arts experience. Instead he focuses on "rhythm" and "breathing"; he's conscious of breathing, in particular, while drawing.

It's pretty interesting reading that. Changed my perspective a little as I'd always had 'water' come to find when I think of his work. Everything flows with such distinct pulsating movement, almost like the tide coming in and out. It's interesting hearing the man himself comment on it.

I guess what I'd been thinking as 'water' was actually 'breathing'. Very cool.

Anyway, random tangent, but with a new scene from him coming up, I figured it was relevant.

Thanks to Herms to translating for me.
Looking back on this I can sort of see what he means. A lot of times theres a buildup where things slow down, and then theres a flurry of visuals coming after as sort of an 'exhale'.

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:08 pm

Does anyone know what happened to Shuichi Iseki?
kill me

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:25 pm

BakaManiaHD wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Shuichi Iseki?
Last I checked, he did some key animation for Kumamiko but that was back in May. Since then he hasn't done anything. I think he is busy working on some other series.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:29 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Did this end up being corrected?

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:42 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

What's the episode and time stamp?

Found it, and it appears that they did.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by MrWalnut4 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:45 pm

neolux wrote:Breathing? I don't quite get what he refers to when he says he's conscious of that haha sorry I'm really ignorant on animation regards :crazy:
Referencing how a character moves. Their rythme.
Retired.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:02 pm

MrWalnut4 wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It's like.. I can't make out if they were trying to go with the old gi, or the RoF outfit. Even in the fix, he has his RoF wristbands.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:43 pm

MrWalnut4 wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Ah. Was corrected like that in the actual broadcast episode? I feel what I linked was actually from an NEP.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:04 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
MrWalnut4 wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Ah. Was corrected like that in the actual broadcast episode? I feel what I linked was actually from an NEP.
I'm not sure if it was fixed before the episode aired or was edited on the blu ray but the error actually remains on the blu ray NEP.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:21 pm

MrWalnut4 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
MrWalnut4 wrote: What's the episode and time stamp?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I'm not sure if it was fixed before the episode aired or was edited on the blu ray but the error actually remains on the blu ray NEP.
Ah okay. Yeah NEP's make sense to leave them uncorrected.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:27 pm

Hello, this my first post on Kanzenshuu, I would like to thank Ajay, for putting so much time and effort into this topic, his done a great job and I hope he continues the great work.

I'm interested in animation as a topic, and I believe I have some form of taste, even though I don't particularly research it. For this topic I will try my hardest to give a reasonably founded opinion on each episode. I'm sorry if this a little off topic but from here on out I plan to actually add in-put.

-

Episode 64, was pretty bad, nothing really moved besides those little scenes at the start. Thats not even mentioning the piss poor direction of the episode (Showing Zamasu and Goku fighting in one scene, then showing him attack Bulma, Mai and Trunks in the next, thats not even mentioning that it took him forever to actually reach them).

It's even sadder that they dragged Futoshi into that mess. I presumed he did the fight at the start of the episode as well as the scythe reveal.

Overall, it was horrible from pretty much every perspective and didn't live up to last episodes solid action animation.

-
Ajay wrote:Episode 63
Higashide does quite a large number of cuts, but it seems like he mostly fills the gaps between other animators. Outside of a few very obvious scenes, it's a little hard to tell exactly what he did, as Manabe's corrections are very strong in an effort to tie everyone together. Vegeta pushing Black back is probably my favourite of his from this episode. The effects work is really nice!
I believe you are referring to this scene.
I made a blog about Futoshi's effects, I personally really liked what he did here.

It kinda reminds me of the effects around Yuya Takahashi's Piccolo vs Shizami cut in the movie.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

DragonBallFan8001
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallFan8001 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:05 am

Speaking of Yuya Takahashi, I think I saw something that could be his work in the NEP. Near the end of the preview, there's a scene where Trunks jumps into the air, and there are two slash effects, followed by explosions around Trunks. The smoke effects during that explosion look a little Shida-esque to me, and Takahashi's effects do look pretty similar to Shida's if I'm not mistaken. I doubt Shida is going to work on this episode considering nothing else in the preview looked like his work, but I think Takahashi might deliver some animation cuts in tomorrow's episode.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:44 am

JazzMazz wrote:Hello, this my first post on Kanzenshuu, I would like to thank Ajay, for putting so much time and effort into this topic, his done a great job and I hope he continues the great work.
Appreciated. Thank you, and welcome to the forum!

Just as a little side-note since you're new: try to avoid posting separate posts one after the other in a thread if nobody else has replied yet. You can can consolidate everything into one post as I've done above for you. :thumbup:
DragonBallFan8001 wrote:Speaking of Yuya Takahashi, I think I saw something that could be his work in the NEP.
I'd be very surprised if that were him. Doesn't really resemble his work, to me. Though trying to judge smoke effects in Super is a real pain in the ass since they blur the edges in post. :(
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:30 pm

No NEP screenshot leak this week?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:39 pm

IGhostUlt wrote:No NEP screenshot leak this week?
Not that I can find.

DragonBallFan8001
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallFan8001 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:31 pm

Ajay wrote:
DragonBallFan8001 wrote:Speaking of Yuya Takahashi, I think I saw something that could be his work in the NEP.
I'd be very surprised if that were him. Doesn't really resemble his work, to me. Though trying to judge smoke effects in Super is a real pain in the ass since they blur the edges in post. :(
Yeah, I don't like how Super has so much motion-blur. Some of Tate's cuts sadly have a lot of motion blur too. Do animators indicate which parts of their cuts need motion-blur, or is that something that is decided purely by those handling the post-production?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:28 pm

Probably Tate's weakest episode, I mean it wasn't bad but outside of very short clips most of his animation lacked its normal quality and his art was pretty rough in a lot of spots, I'm guessing this episode had very few animators.
NEP looks awesome, do I see Shida?

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:32 pm

Omg shida next week. Can't wait. And a lot of it too.