Earth = Earthling. Namek = Namekian. Vegeta = ???

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Earth = Earthling. Namek = Namekian. Vegeta = ???

Post by rereboy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:21 pm

phattangent wrote:
Sandubadear wrote:
rereboy wrote:Because Saiyans aren't originally from planet Vegeta. Originally, they were from planet Saiya and then they migrated/invaded planet Plant, which they then renamed Vegeta in honor of their King.
They were from planet Sadala, not Saiya.
Checks out. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/spin-of ... er/chp-08/
Well, a few years ago it was accepted they were from planet Saiya because it said so on some guides (like it says here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14812). Now apparently Super has added a contradiction to that in regards to the name.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:23 am

Thouser wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:I think Vegetian is a decent alternate name but I guess Toriyama liked the Saiya-jin pun so that stuck around.
This makes me wonder... why exactly did Toriyama decide that Saiyans ("Saiya People"; i.e. yasai/vegetable people) would come from a "Planet Vegeta" rather than a "Planet Saiya?" Maybe he came up with two different vegetable-related puns, couldn't pick one, so he just decided to use both?

As for what a hypothetical "Vegeta-jin" would be called in English, I'd go with "Vegetan." The name already ends in an "a" like "Saiya," so adding an "n" to the end would be sufficient. "Vegetian" would imply they were from "Vegetia."
"Martians" are from Mars, not "Marsia."
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:07 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Thouser wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:I think Vegetian is a decent alternate name but I guess Toriyama liked the Saiya-jin pun so that stuck around.
This makes me wonder... why exactly did Toriyama decide that Saiyans ("Saiya People"; i.e. yasai/vegetable people) would come from a "Planet Vegeta" rather than a "Planet Saiya?" Maybe he came up with two different vegetable-related puns, couldn't pick one, so he just decided to use both?

As for what a hypothetical "Vegeta-jin" would be called in English, I'd go with "Vegetan." The name already ends in an "a" like "Saiya," so adding an "n" to the end would be sufficient. "Vegetian" would imply they were from "Vegetia."
"Martians" are from Mars, not "Marsia."
True, but Croatians are from Croatia, and "Vegeta" doesn't end in an "s" (i.e. someone from "Veges" would be a Vegesian/Vegetian), or in a "t" (a la "Christ" -> "Christian").

Likewise, someone from Sparta is a "Spartan," not a "Spartian."
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:52 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:It would be like if the series came up with an official name for the power boost that Saiyans endure after battles/near death, and fans got all up in arms that it wasn't "zenkai."
Where the hell did "Zenkai" come from then?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:57 am

nickzambuto wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:It would be like if the series came up with an official name for the power boost that Saiyans endure after battles/near death, and fans got all up in arms that it wasn't "zenkai."
Where the hell did "Zenkai" come from then?
Well, the word is in the title of the 1st ending theme to Dragon Ball Z. But as far as it being used to describe that kind of power-up... it's a fan thing. I have no idea where or why it originated. But rest assured, it is never used in any official capacity.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2