Versions of games w/non-native audio

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Versions of games w/non-native audio

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:45 am

So originally I was going to title this "dual-audio games", then I realized this was both incredibly ethnocentric (I was mainly thinking of English/Japanese dual audio) as well as narrow-minded - there are triple+ audio releases (Kurokami, Final Fantasy, many Disney films), & there are single-audio (aka no dub) releases like Ultimate Battle 22, 90s Street Fighter, Yakuza2+, & a decent majority of anime).

Then, I wanted to limit myself the to least possible as I wato hear abt all the localiziations/dubs. It'd be nice to get as comprehensive a list as possible, for *all* regions, actually.

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Versions of games w/non-native audio

Post by thomas1up » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:47 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:& there are single-audio (aka no dub) releases like Ultimate Battle 22, 90s Street Fighter, Yakuza2+, & a decent majority of anime).
Funny you mention this, in USA Budokai 1 had the FUNi Dub voices, however in Europe (UK for me) we only had the original Japanese voices with subtitles (which I think were different from FUNi's dubtitles, though I'm not 100% sure)
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:08 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Then, I wanted to limit myself the to least possible as I wato hear abt all the localiziations/dubs. It'd be nice to get as comprehensive a list as possible, for *all* regions, actually.
There aren't any, besides English. English is the only language for which dubs have been produced for Dragon Ball games, and quite often, the English dub will also be made available in other countries alongside the original Japanese audio. The text is translated for all the different countries, yes, but the actual dialogue is not dubbed over.

I once asked why that was the case, and was basically told that that question might as well be asked of all games. Apparently, English is kind of considered "the international language," and so many foreign licensing companies just don't feel the need to spend the extra money on dubbing a game in whatever the local language in question is. There absolutely are exceptions, of course (especially among super high-profile, big-budget games), but Dragon Ball games are not among those exceptions.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked it up. Here's what a French Kanzenshuuer by the name of Cold Skin said:
Cold Skin wrote:Localized dubs are more and more common, but not for certain franchises or kind of games.
The most important ones are the Japanese one (where the game is made) and the English one is sometimes viewed as covering all Western languages, since it's the international language.
So much like a FInal Fantasy game (although both dubs are not included on a same version), it is deemed unnecessary to have anything else than Japanese (for the original) and English (for a more familiar language).
So yeah, as TheRed259 said, it's a waste of time and money for the developers, they consider you'll find the kind of dub you want if you have Japanese and English.

Most French fans would like a French dub if it was possible due to voice actors being quite high-profile here (voices you can here in popular TV shows and Hollywood blockbusters, with basically Julia Roberts as Bulma, Owen Wilson as Vegeta, David Boreanaz or Michael Gaston as Goku, etc...), and the Kai dub having proven how great it can be with serious acting and proper translation.

But a fighting game is typically the kind of game for which there's no extra money to spend hiring voice actors to re-record the entire script for each country. (although Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale has localized dub for most characters that were localized in their original game).
All other regular "adventure" games are more suitable candidates for this and have their localized dub (Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Uncharted, Kingdom Hearts, Little Big Planet, Infamous...), but the most important thing the world needs from a manga is the original Japanese, to mirror their favorite show more and more watched in Japanese, and an English dub that will sound more natural to those who feel the Japanese language is "weird" because they are not used to it.
Pity. It would be cool to hear other dubs of the Dragon Ball games.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:38 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Then, I wanted to limit myself the to least possible as I wato hear abt all the localiziations/dubs. It'd be nice to get as comprehensive a list as possible, for *all* regions, actually.
There aren't any, besides English. English is the only language for which dubs have been produced for Dragon Ball games, and quite often, the English dub will also be made available in other countries alongside the original Japanese audio. The text is translated for all the different countries, yes, but the actual dialogue is not dubbed over.

I once asked why that was the case, and was basically told that that question might as well be asked of all games. Apparently, English is kind of considered "the international language," and so many foreign licensing companies just don't feel the need to spend the extra money on dubbing a game in whatever the local language in question is.
It's a pity this is the case when, if I were a betting man, I'm pretty sure that Latino, Italian, Polish, & other dubs generally have a far higher investment in the budget of their dubs. I know that 4Kids'/Saban/early FUNi dubs of anime also sub-licensed their dubs to be dubbed into other languages. Heck, the Japanese dubs of several small non-union works, like League of Legends, 2003 TMNT, & recent Sonic games, have a similar AAA cast as a good anime.

It is strange that English, despite being "international language", has quite minimal investment in these shows despite being more than capable.
TheBlackPaladin wrote:There absolutely are exceptions, of course (especially among super high-profile, big-budget games), but Dragon Ball games are not among those exceptions.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked it up. Here's what a French Kanzenshuuer by the name of Cold Skin said:
Cold Skin wrote:Localized dubs are more and more common, but not for certain franchises or kind of games.
The most important ones are the Japanese one (where the game is made) and the English one is sometimes viewed as covering all Western languages, since it's the international language.
So much like a FInal Fantasy game (although both dubs are not included on a same version), it is deemed unnecessary to have anything else than Japanese (for the original) and English (for a more familiar language).
So yeah, as TheRed259 said, it's a waste of time and money for the developers, they consider you'll find the kind of dub you want if you have Japanese and English.

Most French fans would like a French dub if it was possible due to voice actors being quite high-profile here (voices you can here in popular TV shows and Hollywood blockbusters, with basically Julia Roberts as Bulma, Owen Wilson as Vegeta, David Boreanaz or Michael Gaston as Goku, etc...), and the Kai dub having proven how great it can be with serious acting and proper translation.

But a fighting game is typically the kind of game for which there's no extra money to spend hiring voice actors to re-record the entire script for each country. (although Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale has localized dub for most characters that were localized in their original game).
All other regular "adventure" games are more suitable candidates for this and have their localized dub (Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Uncharted, Kingdom Hearts, Little Big Planet, Infamous...), but the most important thing the world needs from a manga is the original Japanese, to mirror their favorite show more and more watched in Japanese, and an English dub that will sound more natural to those who feel the Japanese language is "weird" because they are not used to it.
Pity. It would be cool to hear other dubs of the Dragon Ball games.
Makes sense. The usual Japanese-produced fighting game localized in English, generally just has JP voice tracks, & they were among the first dubbed games to have dual audio if they even had a dub. The preference was Japanese. Whereas I daresay Final Fantasy is meant to be in English, moreso than heavily-Western-inspired Jgames like MGS.

DB is an exception, & Naruto an even bigger one, considering its a union dub, & about twice as expensive. Big enough for Nolan North, Fred Tatasciore (he's in the show but does more in the games), & Josh Keaton, at least. On that note, I want to mention that the DB games sell very well compared to Naruto games, so it's ironic that they are dubbed cheaper than Naruto's, but then, that's originally due to Funi's choice & it's not like Bandai Namco'd go union (by choice) for a fighting game dub. Call me a concern troll, but this stuff rather disappointments me.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:44 pm

...All that being said, a list of localizations' audio tracks (& texts), Japanese or English, would be nice. Example:

NA, PAL, XenoVerse/2: Japanese, English dub. English text.
JP Xenoverse/2: Japanese. Japanese text.

Also, for countries where the text isnt in the same language, pointing that out would also be useful. A database of this would be cool to have as a reference.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:12 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Big enough for Nolan North, Fred Tatasciore (he's in the show but does more in the games), & Josh Keaton, at least.
You really want to see these people in anime dubs, don't you? Pity we'll never see them in an anime dub, with the exception of Tatasciore.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:20 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Big enough for Nolan North, Fred Tatasciore (he's in the show but does more in the games), & Josh Keaton, at least.
You really want to see these people in anime dubs, don't you? Pity we'll never see them in an anime dub, with the exception of Tatasciore.
I at least want anime to be taken as seriously in English as the better American stuff is taken in Japanese. I think that even folks who typicly prefer subs can respect that.

As for those other guys being in anime...it's a possibility, definitely an extreme rarity, but nothing's impossible. Fred & Josh have dubbed tons of J-games, & they were in an anime called Laws of the Universe last year. Simuldub, premiered in English first. This, along with Jennifer Beals, Dylan McDermott, as well as A-list VAs such as Hynden Walch, Tom Kenny, & Dave Fennoy (plus great dub VAs such as Yuri & Kari). Maybe Nolan might do a similar one of these exceedingly rare co-production-esque shows. On that note, John DiMaggio & IIRC James Arnold Taylor (an anime fan in his own right) did several anime early in their career, as well as Darran Norris due to his marriage to Mary McGlynn at the time. All of this aside from the Disney-produced Ghibli dubs.
Last edited by huzaifa_ahmed on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:30 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
I at least want anime to be taken as seriously in English as the better American stuff is taken in Japanese. I think that even folks who typicly prefer subs can respect that.

As for those other guys being in anime...it's a possibility, definitely an extreme rarity, but nothing's impossible. Fred & Josh have dubbed tons of J-games, & they were in an anime called Laws of the Universe last year. Simuldub, premiered in English first. This, along with Jennifer Beals, Dylan McDermott, as well as A-list VAs such as Hynden Walch, Tom Kenny, & Dave Fennoy (plus great dub VAs such as Yuri & Kari). Maybe Nolan might do a similar one of these exceedingly rare co-production-esque shows.

On that note, John DiMaggio & IIRC James Arnold Taylor (an anime fan in his own right) did several anime early in their career, as well as Darran Norris due to his marriage to Mary McGlynn at the time.
And you think anime could be taken more seriously in English if Tatasciore, Keaton, Taylor, Strong, Hamill, DeLisle, DBB, Welker, Burton, DiMaggio were in English dubs?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.