Zamasu (and Black) is a parody on modern Shounen villain archetypes

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Zamasu (and Black) is a parody on modern Shounen villain archetypes

Post by Doctor. » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:29 pm

I'd say that, with how over-the-top Zamasu/Black is, how self-aware the show is about their pretentiousness, how nobody seems to take them seriously when they go on their rants, how nobody even tries to reason with the characters, Zamasu and Black really feel like a parody of modern Shounen villains. Like what would happen if you picked a random generic villain and dropped him in the DB universe.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Zamasu (and Black) is a parody on modern Shounen villain archetypes

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:41 pm

Doctor. wrote:I'd say that, with how over-the-top Zamasu/Black is, how self-aware the show is about their pretentiousness, how nobody seems to take them seriously when they go on their rants, how nobody even tries to reason with the characters, Zamasu and Black really feel like a parody of modern Shounen villains. Like what would happen if you picked a random generic villain and dropped him in the DB universe.
I've always compared them to Vaccine Man from One Punch Man.
https://youtu.be/69Pbn_CsZkE?t=2m14s

Really, Goku and Vegito do the same thing to Zamasu as Saitama does to Vaccine Man--punch him in the face in the middle of his speeches.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:51 pm

An interesting theory..
Would also explain why trunks could pull all this.. it's all because of friendship..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:An interesting theory..
Would also explain why trunks could pull all this.. it's all because of friendship..
Nah, that was just bullshit.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:46 pm

I wish they went full ham by having Zamasu fire a planet destroying beam and Trunks trying to push it back with his sword. Then, everyone lends him their strength. All while this song plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7MlWr0wbVQ (replace "queen" with "god" and "wand" with "sword")
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Animelover5487
Beyond Newbie

Post by Animelover5487 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:50 pm

TBH, I was reminded of Jesus when he said he took Goku's body to carry the sins of mortals and failure of the gods into his body.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Hmm. I've never thought about it that way, but that certainly is an interesting take on the character, Doctor.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:18 pm

I do appreciate that no one (writers included) takes their speeches seriously and that the final word on Zamasu's sense of justice is "Who cares?"

I get the impression that other series with Super's target demographic would have forced everyone to try to hash it out and added some heavy-handed moralizing.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:56 pm

I think he's pretty generic, there's a ton of god-complex villains out there who want to kill humanity off because of their fighting nature.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:20 am

Zamasu is more a parody of old testament Yahweh than anything else.

phattangent
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by phattangent » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:48 am

Doctor. wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:An interesting theory..
Nah, that was just bullshit.
The power of hope and love!
ドラゴンボール超と言うアニメを見ています。あの、日本語が分かりますか?話しましょう!
ザマスに就いて、全王は合体ザマスより大なりです!