Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 66

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So regarding production and scheduling would we ever get to the point where Super would be considered normal without taking hiatus?
Potentially, yes. Every break we get helps and it seems like they managed to do more preproduction for the Champa arc than the F arc, and again with the Trunks arc compared to the Champa arc. They are seemingly able to plan ahead a bit more with every arc, so eventually it should get there. I think we're probably closer then some might think, but we don't have enough animators and that issue might not be able to be solved until Tiger Mask ends in June, but we'll see.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:38 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:So regarding production and scheduling would we ever get to the point where Super would be considered normal without taking hiatus?
Potentially, yes. Every break we get helps and it seems like they managed to do more preproduction for the Champa arc than the F arc, and again with the Trunks arc compared to the Champa arc. They are seemingly able to plan ahead a bit more with every arc, so eventually it should get there. I think we're probably closer then some might think, but we don't have enough animators and that issue might not be able to be solved until Tiger Mask ends in June, but we'll see.
Oh so Tiger Mask is confirmed to have only 39 episodes then?
I think maybe these Toei original episodes are helping because we didn't get one between Freeza arc and U6 arc and we got about 6(?) between U6 and Trunks it's looking like we're getting more between Trunks arc and whatever arc 3 is.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:03 pm

I don't see Dragon Ball Super ever having a normal, steady production where even it's 'big' episodes don't feel like they're coming apart under the pressure of Warp 10. We'll need to see forty animators an episode for episodes just to be able to speed production up enough to get a buffer.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:10 pm

I'm still glad with how big of a stride Super has taken from the U6 arc. Episode 39 had plenty of bad shots for being a climax, and also reused a lot of footage. Episode 66 was actually able to pull off a solid episode throughout with a few standout moments. I am disappointed that the "filler" isn't going to outsourced, though. Super really could have used something like that.

Ajay

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 67

Post by Ajay » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Episode 67

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Video Overview

Once again, I don't know enough about Sakai yet to say anything about his style. It's irresponsible to even really make a proper guess at this point, honestly. That said, I think I know who Tomoko Sato is, so I'll throw that out there soon.

This is really late. Sorry about that. Not exactly in the best frame of mind at the moment. I guess it doesn't matter that much, but I'll try and be more timely next week!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:41 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I don't see Dragon Ball Super ever having a normal, steady production where even it's 'big' episodes don't feel like they're coming apart under the pressure of Warp 10. We'll need to see forty animators an episode for episodes just to be able to speed production up enough to get a buffer.
Episode 66 wasn't coming apart at all and it only had 15 animators, which is a pretty normal number for a big episode, even a little on the small side. If Super had a few more supervisors and regular animators then the episode probably would have turned out just the same and 62, 64 and 67 would have been of a higher quality. I really do think that now the biggest issue is just getting more people on as regulars. If we got about 3 more regular supervisors and a handful of more regular animators I think things would be pretty stable. Hopefully when Tiger Mask ends in June they can grab a few of the supervisors from that show(including Onishi Yoichi) and then some of the animators from the show, and then when Appli Monsters ends get Naoi Masahiro to be a second solo animator for Super and then maybe get a few animators from that show. If they can do that then I think Super would be just fine from that point on and it would probably also be easier to get big animators to work on the show at that point as well, assuming those people coming over from Tiger Mask and Appli monsters are more "permanent" than most the people that temporarily came on the show for like 42-50.
Hopefully in the mean time they can get a few more people on board so they don't have to sacrifice 3 episodes in the climax of an arc again. At least they made sure those episodes were surrounded by better looking episodes I guess.
Ajay wrote:Episode 67

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Video Overview

Once again, I don't know enough about Sakai yet to say anything about his style. It's irresponsible to even really make a proper guess at this point, honestly. That said, I think I know who Tomoko Sato is, so I'll throw that out there soon.

This is really late. Sorry about that. Not exactly in the best frame of mind at the moment. I guess it doesn't matter that much, but I'll try and be more timely next week!
Don't worry about it. I hope we find out what Sakai's style is by his next episode. When are you going to give your guess for Tomoko Sato?
Do you plan on modifying the opening of the videos at all? Not seeing any of the goodness from 66 is kind of a shame.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:02 pm

I'd like to take a quick second to celebrate the one year anniversary of this thread! Lots of informative, substantive discussions from a great many users. Thanks for keeping this project going Ajay. Here's for another year!

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:06 pm

The schedule is still bad. Most of the episodes in the arc feels very rushed, especially when they had no preproduction to follow up with. Many of the good animators had been constantly thrown under the bus during its run. Naoki Tate, Yuichi Karasawa, and Futoshi Higashide all were under constant pressure to get the cuts completed. Only good part of Tate in the arc was #47, but he can do better than that.

Two supervisors are constantly thrown in for each episode. That shows us that the production is still terrible. They had no time to solo supervise and had a lot of 2nd key animators constantly clean up their drawings.

I have to be honest with you, it would be better if they put the series to a stop, before good animators left for good. We saw with how the series director Choika got screwed over and abruptly left the series without doing any storyboard and direction. Toma Seizo, one of expressive animators, barely showed up. We have a lot of talents in the staff, but as the arc showed us, they weren't able to use all of their utmost potentials to make the arc look good.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:12 pm

Happy birthday thread

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:21 pm

Happy anniversary to the thread! We greatly appreciate the hard work you put into this, Mr. Ajay! Take a bow! :clap:
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:39 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:The schedule is still bad. Most of the episodes in the arc feels very rushed, especially when they had no preproduction to follow up with. Many of the good animators had been constantly thrown under the bus during its run. Naoki Tate, Yuichi Karasawa, and Futoshi Higashide all were under constant pressure to get the cuts completed. Only good part of Tate in the arc was #47, but he can do better than that.

Two supervisors are constantly thrown in for each episode. That shows us that the production is still terrible. They had no time to solo supervise and had a lot of 2nd key animators constantly clean up their drawings.

I have to be honest with you, it would be better if they put the series to a stop, before good animators left for good. We saw with how the series director Choika got screwed over and abruptly left the series without doing any storyboard and direction. Toma Seizo, one of expressive animators, barely showed up. We have a lot of talents in the staff, but as the arc showed us, they weren't able to use all of their utmost potentials to make the arc look good.
And I think a lot of the rushed stuff is because the show has a relatively small staff. We saw Shimanuki solo supervise an episode and Ishikawa did as well right before the final stretch. Also two supervisors doesn't immediately mean bad, Pokemon very often has 2 supervisors for example, Pokemon also regularly uses quite a few 2nd key animators. I think the main reason we saw two supervisors per episode for the last chunk of episodes had a lot to do with the fact that almost everyone was also working on 66 though, so everyone needed some support. We also don't know why Chioka left, he hasn't done anything in the industry since June of last year, he may have left the industry for personal reasons or something. Toma is another one that we don't know what happened, he hasn't shown up on anything since his last episode of Super and looking at his history it looks like he has a record of taking large breaks, there was almost a year between his last non Super episode of something and his first Super episode and there was 6 months between his first and second episodes of Super, with nothing else in between. Many animators aren't able to do their best because they're also covering for the lack of other animators, so if they can just get more animators and supervisors I think many of the issues currently present in the show would be much less noticeable and we'd probably be seeing 1 supervisor for most episodes.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:02 pm

Huh, wow. I didn't even notice it had been a year. That's pretty cool.

My own overhauls aside, it's been an interesting time seeing this thread evolve, especially in terms of the people who post in it.

I won't be so bold as to take credit for this, but it's awesome to see more and more fans talk about animation on more than just a superficial level.

I love how open-minded some of guys have been, and watching opinions evolve over time has been interesting to observe.

Honestly, the most rewarding thing I've noticed is that I barely even have to post anymore. Someone comes in with a question and it's answered accurately before I've even seen it.

So yeah, thanks for the support, thanks for being awesome, and uh, yeah... whatever other sappy nonsense you can think of! I'm sure we've got another fun year of ups and downs ahead of us.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Ajay wrote:
So yeah, thanks for the support, thanks for being awesome, and uh, yeah... whatever other sappy nonsense you can think of! I'm sure we've got another fun year of ups and downs ahead of us.
May the peaks be high and the valleys be... not as low as usual? Yeah, let's go with that =P

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:17 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:May the peaks be high and the valleys be... not as low as usual? Yeah, let's go with that =P
Haha, I like that idea!

Though... I do have a low for you:
ArchedThunder wrote:We also don't know why Chioka left, he hasn't done anything in the industry since June of last year, he may have left the industry for personal reasons or something.
Guess who's working on next week's Tiger Mask W.

Deadtuber.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:27 pm

Higashide is what Yashima wants to be

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:29 pm

Ajay wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:We also don't know why Chioka left, he hasn't done anything in the industry since June of last year, he may have left the industry for personal reasons or something.
Guess who's working on next week's Tiger Mask W.
lol.
That's still a year and a half since the last episode of anything that he worked on directly. He may have left because things were bad or he may have left because of other reasons, we don't know, but even if he left because of how things were when he was on the show that doesn't really mean things are still that bad right now. With him being credited along side Hatano Morio from episode 33 until the start of the Trunks arc I'm willing to bet he left sometime early in the production of the Champa arc and was credited on it all the way through because of the early work he did on it.
Also it'd be hilarious if Chioka storyboarded an episode of Super now.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:34 pm

Happy Birthday to one of the best threads in Super section! :clap:
Congratulations to everyone that keeps this thread rolling and shout out to Ajay for all his hard work! We appreciate it. :thumbup:

As for Hiroyuki Sakai, looks like he've been working in Super since the beginning as key animator, but he was promoted to animation supervisor in episode 64:
http://animatorscorner.com/staff_profile/316
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:17 pm

nite_jay wrote:Happy birthday thread

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Wow, you made this? It looks delicious!
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:27 pm

Noah wrote:
nite_jay wrote:Happy birthday thread

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Wow, you made this? It looks delicious!
I just looked up "Dragonball cakes". lol

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:01 am

Chioka was clearly screwed. I'm pretty sure cause of the poor schedule he wasn't able to do anything and was frustrated which lead to him leaving. I follow Tiger Mask W and Chioka is one of my favorite directors, so it's good to have him. At least, he'll be able to do something good there.

As for the schedule, eh... I don't think it has improved. Yeah, it's not as bad as the F arc but still I wouldn't call it much of an improvement. I think the staff is in a race against time. They cannot win no matter how hard they try.

At best, we'll get one good episode like #66 followed by a couple of terrible eps and then a couple of average ones. Unless a miracle happens, I can't see the quality of Super improving that much.