Pilaf Saga Box

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Pilaf Saga Box

Post by Ben Plante » Sat May 08, 2004 9:23 am

On the DVD Guide, the box art appears to be available for the bilingual release of the first 13 eps. However, because of the small picture, I am unable to make out the writing above where it says 'Saga of Goku (Which is weird, I thought it would be changed to 'The Pilaf Saga' or something). I think I see '#1' all the way to the right, but the rest of the letters are blurry and vague. Anyone have any idea what that other line there says> (Prays that a bilingual Movie #1 is included, like the old dub-only Saga of Goku).

Anyone?
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Sat May 08, 2004 9:56 am

It says "collection #1"

Incidentally, it's the cover from the Region 4 release, which is uncut and bilingiual for the 13 episodes, but not for the movie. Not even sure if the funimation set will include that movie, and if they'll just do it later.

also, the writing at the bottom if the OFLC rating, which is required on all Australian releases (though certian companies have a tendancy to avoid them for some reason. oh well)

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Sat May 08, 2004 10:05 am

BAH! Thanks Ge--- I mean Eunuch. Got my hopes up for nothing. ::Sniff::
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Sun May 09, 2004 8:17 am

I just got my hopes up again with this thought. If the casing is already complete, as is the dubbing, subtitling, bleh bleh, can it be too far behind for a Region 1 release? Or is the Kidmark license only preventing us Yanks from getting it anytime soon?

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Sun May 09, 2004 10:26 am

the Kidmark thing is preventing it, that's the latest reason that's been given by FUNimation. Though, this could be bought into debate if Madman release Tienshinhan before FUNimation.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun May 09, 2004 11:08 am

Possibly, but I'd say that the Tien Shinhan release is dependent on normal DVD release factors: mastering them, printing them, releasing them at an optimal time (ie, not too close to other DVDs, so that people will have lots of money available to buy it). If Kidmark release that DVD set earlier, that's only because they are dealing with a different market, and so conditions might not be the same.

The Pilaf set though, at least initially, is almost certainly due to the licence. It makes no sense for FUNi to start on the second box set when they didn't need too.

I do wonder how FUNi would react if Madman started releasing the DVDs before them? They could potentially lose money from imports (ooh, it'll be like TOEI in reverse!) Or is there something in their contract that prevents that, and the first saga is an exception due to the length of time it'll take FUNi to release it?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Sun May 09, 2004 8:06 pm

The Tien Shinhan DVDs shouldnt be that hard to make, though they might possibly come out after the R2 Dragonball Dragonbox come out. As for the market, it's been a while now since Baba, so there'd be enough of a gap.

Dunno if FUNimation will loose to imports. Most American households don't have anything but Region 1 DVD players, and certianly not a cheesebox (convert pal->ntsc). That in mind, for some reason this PAL set sells for nearly $100 USD on ebay (if it's shipping from Europe or the States/Canada), and it costs about $36 AUD here.

So if anyone want's to do a bit of a business venture....

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun May 09, 2004 9:48 pm

Apparently, the NSTC/PAL thing isn't a problem with DVD players, since they convert the signal internally, no matter what format the DVD is in. This is certainly true for everyone over here I've ever seen, and it would explain why that one American had no trouble getting the Madman one to work on his multi-region TV player, even without a converter box.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]