Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 69

Post by Alee9977 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:46 pm

Really good job Yashima.
What a bloody episode :lol:

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:05 pm

A couple of scenes of wonky artwork aside I really enjoyed this episode. I can't say that I've laughed harder at an episode of Dragon Ball than I have at this one to be honest. I wouldn't have thought this was a Yashima episode (Except for the couple scenes I mentioned) unless I looked at the credits. This is the kind of filler a show like Super needs.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:16 pm

I can't be the only one who noticed how... off Cabba looked in this episode. But other than that, it was great. Preview looks astounding. I hope that rain scene lasts for a little bit.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:19 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:I can't be the only one who noticed how... off Cabba looked in this episode. But other than that, it was great. Preview looks astounding. I hope that rain scene lasts for a little bit.
Yashima couldn't draw Cabbe very well in the Champa arc either. The one that I'm more surprised that they didn't correct is Piccolo. Piccolo is probably the character Yashima is the worst at drawing so it's always odd to me to see him uncorrected.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:34 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Anime Kitten wrote:I can't be the only one who noticed how... off Cabba looked in this episode. But other than that, it was great. Preview looks astounding. I hope that rain scene lasts for a little bit.
Yashima couldn't draw Cabbe very well in the Champa arc either. The one that I'm more surprised that they didn't correct is Piccolo. Piccolo is probably the character Yashima is the worst at drawing so it's always odd to me to see him uncorrected.
The only character that looks good in Yashimas art style is Goku imo. But then again, Goku always looks pretty good imo even when he's not drawn that well.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:38 pm

kinisking wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
The only character that looks good in Yashimas art style is Goku imo. But then again, Goku always looks pretty good imo even when he's not drawn that well.
I think Beerus and Champa are Yashima's best characters. His Goku and Gohan are just passable most of the time imo.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:42 pm

nite_jay wrote: I think Beerus and Champa are Yashima's best characters. His Goku and Gohan are just passable most of the time imo.
I quite like his Beerus, it's a bit off model but he has a nice evil look to him that I really enjoy.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:11 am

Really well-boarded and directed episode. Karasawa Kazuya is turning out to be one of my favorite directors. I hope he handles the crucial episodes of the next arc. Nice to see that Yashima was the only KA. Animation wise, it was usual Yashima stuff. It was alright.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:17 am

This episode was really good. The background looked so nice as well. How can this episode be so good considering the facts that Yashima last worked on #64 and he was the only credited KA. This is just impossible. Nonetheless well done Yashima !

I have a feeling that Toei outsourced this episode and the studio that it was outsourced to hasn't been credited because they did the same thing with Wanpack I guess. I mean before this we thought that Wanpack did work on Super from #38 onwards. But after Ajay checked Wanpack's website, it turned out that they were working on this series right from the BoG arc. Well probably some of you knew that beforehand but I came to know about it after Ajay's post.

Considering the quality of these recent filler episodes and how polished they were, there is no doubt in my mind that they were better planned out and had more production time IMO.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:36 am

These being one off episodes also helps. They dont need to rely on previous episode, the people working on it can basically work without having any kind of material from previous episode. We have been getting no recaps recently either. I don't If this is how it works, but I think so.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:13 am

Probably Yashima's best episode so far, it wasn't perfect, but it did what it needed to and I hope it is a new standard for him.

For me however, the visuals were overshadowed by the hilarious script of the episode.

Considering I'm not a particularly big fan of referential humour, I don't mind it in small doses from time to time.

Overall a really polished Yashima episode, with a lot of corrections by Tsuji throughout.

Y3llowflash200

Post by Y3llowflash200 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:49 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Ajay wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:The shot of base Goku's face with his eyes closed at night is absolutely Shimanuki, and an EXTREMELY Z Shimanuki at that!
Can't wait to get a better look! My eyes were drawn to my Twitter feed as Animator's Corner posted the credits within seconds, so I accidentally didn't pay attention. :lol: Woops!

Will have to wait for Crunchy now. You've got me excited.
He's almost back to his Z self, he's SO damn close!

I loved that shot, i remembered there was an identical scene in the freeza arc that i also loved
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:00 am

Y3llowflash200 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Ajay wrote:
Can't wait to get a better look! My eyes were drawn to my Twitter feed as Animator's Corner posted the credits within seconds, so I accidentally didn't pay attention. :lol: Woops!

Will have to wait for Crunchy now. You've got me excited.
He's almost back to his Z self, he's SO damn close!

I loved that shot, i remembered there was an identical scene in the freeza arc that i also loved
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Flash, no-one on the forum can see your images.

Try uploading to something like imgur instead. It's quick and easy and allows users to see what your talking about. I'm not endorsing imgur, it's just the site I most commonly use.
e.g.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:48 am

ArchedThunder wrote: The arc as a whole was a huge step up from the F arc, but the art still wasn't nearly as consistent as the Future Trunks arc and the animation has nothing on the Future Trunks arc. I hope the quality continues to improve with every arc as it has been(excluding going from BoG to F obviously).

The BoG arc was pretty good actually. Except for like 3 episodes (5, 8, and 12?) The rest was pretty solid

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:44 am

dhaval_dongre wrote:This episode was really good. The background looked so nice as well. How can this episode be so good considering the facts that Yashima last worked on #64 and he was the only credited KA. This is just impossible. Nonetheless well done Yashima !

I have a feeling that Toei outsourced this episode and the studio that it was outsourced to hasn't been credited because they did the same thing with Wanpack I guess. I mean before this we thought that Wanpack did work on Super from #38 onwards. But after Ajay checked Wanpack's website, it turned out that they were working on this series right from the BoG arc. Well probably some of you knew that beforehand but I came to know about it after Ajay's post.

Considering the quality of these recent filler episodes and how polished they were, there is no doubt in my mind that they were better planned out and had more production time IMO.
Soloing an episode in 6 weeks or so is pretty normal for Yashima. Also Wanpack is credited in episodes they work on, just not as a studio, when Wanpack works on an episode the individual animators are all credited instead of the studio.
iAnimationLover_ wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: The arc as a whole was a huge step up from the F arc, but the art still wasn't nearly as consistent as the Future Trunks arc and the animation has nothing on the Future Trunks arc. I hope the quality continues to improve with every arc as it has been(excluding going from BoG to F obviously).
The BoG arc was pretty good actually. Except for like 3 episodes (5, 8, and 12?) The rest was pretty solid
That's why I said except for BoG to F, because that was a downgrade.
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Really well-boarded and directed episode. Karasawa Kazuya is turning out to be one of my favorite directors. I hope he handles the crucial episodes of the next arc.
Same, the only action episode he directed and storyboarded was 63 and that was pretty well done, so I'd love to see him take on a big episode like an arc opener or a big mid arc fight like episode 57.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:53 pm

nite_jay wrote:
kinisking wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: Yashima couldn't draw Cabbe very well in the Champa arc either. The one that I'm more surprised that they didn't correct is Piccolo. Piccolo is probably the character Yashima is the worst at drawing so it's always odd to me to see him uncorrected.
I think Beerus and Champa are Yashima's best characters. His Goku and Gohan are just passable most of the time imo.
On second thought, you're right about Champa. He looked pretty great the whole time. Although I disagree on Beerus.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Are any of these Yashima shots corrected at all?
http://imgur.com/a/Ns6tK seems like his style is getting better, I just wish he would go back to his episode 15 style. That top Goku shot is pretty close though.

Also I want the show to have more shots like this.
Not counting the comedic lumps obviously.
The linework and speedlines on the character are nice.

Does anyone know what Sugawara Rieko's style is?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:15 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Does anyone know what Sugawara Rieko's style is?
I'm just working on my entry at the moment, and I'm pretty sure she didn't do all that much. She seems to be the person with the softer style that seems to be handling most of the mid-shots and partial corrections, while Yokoyama is easy to spot doing most close-up corrections. Her and her huge ass eyebrows and extend miles across the face! :lol:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Ever since you pointed out Yokoyama's style like 12 or so weeks ago I've really fallen in love, it reminds me of a more Z like interpretation of Tsuji. I hope that the next person to get promoted to supervisor is her, of course that would mean she'd have to stop working on One Piece and who knows if she'd want to do that, but the pay increase might be enough to persuade her. I love how cocky Goku looks in that first shot.
Also are you sure that Cabbe shot is her? I mean I can see it in the ear, but the face looks so much like Yashima's Cabbe that I have a hard time seeing that face being a correction from her.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:30 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Are any of these Yashima shots corrected at all?
http://imgur.com/a/Ns6tK seems like his style is getting better, I just wish he would go back to his episode 15 style. That top Goku shot is pretty close though.

Also I want the show to have more shots like this.
Not counting the comedic lumps obviously.
The linework and speedlines on the character are nice.

Does anyone know what Sugawara Rieko's style is?
I totally agree. It really brought intensity to the situation. I need much, much more of this.