Your Thoughts on the Really Long Fights

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Your Thoughts on the Really Long Fights

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:23 pm

I love the long fights. Super's fights have been waaay too short imho

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:40 pm

Kanassa wrote:I dislike the length of Z fights, hell, I don't even think I'd be a fan of DBZ if I didn't watch it over the internet where I could skip through all that fluff. I feel sorry for those people who had to wait a week between each episode of those fights. That's why I've stopped watching anime like One Piece until they're done.
I guess I did this at one point as a kid but thankfully I don't remember it. Imagine watching the start of the Freeza fight, taking a 10 week break, and coming back to find that the fight is still going. I would go crazy.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:46 pm

Were there any drawn out fights in DBZ outside of Goku Vs. Freeza?

All these other fights people are mentioning were literally only a handful of episodes long.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:47 pm

precita wrote:Were there any drawn out fights in DBZ outside of Goku Vs. Freeza?

All these other fights people are mentioning were literally only a handful of episodes long.
Both of the big Cell fights were pretty long. There aren't that many though.
Retired.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:48 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
precita wrote:Were there any drawn out fights in DBZ outside of Goku Vs. Freeza?

Goku Vs. Cell was only 3 episodes.

Gohan Vs. Cell were interrupted by Cell Jr. fights, then Cell blowing himself up, and the climax was only another 2 episodes.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:51 pm

precita wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

Goku Vs. Cell was only 3 episodes.

Gohan Vs. Cell were interrupted by Cell Jr. fights, then Cell blowing himself up, and the climax was only another 2 episodes.
I don't consider those 2 separate, the 2 Cell Game fights flow into one another. I don't remember how long it lasted in Z, but the Kai version lasted for almost 10 episodes, if I remember right. I'd guess that the Z version is more than 10, which is a long fucking time.
Retired.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:53 pm

The difference is the whole Cell games isn't one long fight. Goku Vs. Freeza is one long fight because its pretty much just the two of them fighting for over 20 episodes.

No other fight in the series was like that. The Cell games has so many different aspects and it wasn't one long continuous fight. All the different things happening from 16 jumping in and being destroyed, Cell Jr.'s attacking everyone else, Gohan then becoming SSJ2 and toying around, then Cell blowing up and Goku dying and coming back for the final fight, etc.

I don't see the Cell fights drawn out at all.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:59 pm

precita wrote:The difference is the whole Cell games isn't one long fight. Goku Vs. Freeza is one long fight because its pretty much just the two of them fighting for over 20 episodes.

No other fight in the series was like that. The Cell games has so many different aspects and it wasn't one long continuous fight. All the different things happening from 16 jumping in and being destroyed, Cell Jr.'s attacking everyone else, Gohan then becoming SSJ2 and toying around, then Cell blowing up and Goku dying and coming back for the final fight, etc.

I don't see the Cell fights drawn out at all.
I guess that's just a difference between us, because I also consider the Freeza fight beginning right after the Grand Elder dies, Starting at Vegeta, Gohan, and Kuririn vs. Freeza, ending at SS Goku vs. Freeza.

Either way, even a 3 episode long fight is too long. You could just as easily get the point across in one-episode fights, as was demonstrated by the latest arc of DBS. It's one thing if they want to show off some prrtty fights for marketing purposes, as was done in with Goku vs. Cell, but having fights just for the sake of fighting is usually a bad thing.
Retired.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:04 pm

Its pretty impossible for a lot of DBZ fights to only be 1 episode unless you really rush and cut out a lot of scenes.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:27 pm

That team battle where the non-Gokus are fighting Freeza. In fact the entire second half of the Namek arc is basically just the fight with Freeza.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:59 pm

Well yes, but let's look at everything else:

Radditz: The actual fight is only about 3 episodes.

Nappa: It goes on for about 4-5 episodes, but you have different characters fighting

Vegeta: Again this alternates from Goku, to Gohan as an ape/Krillin/Yajirobe, etc.

Cui: Killed in less than an episode

Dodoria: Killed in 1 episode

Zarbon 1 and 2: Killed in about 2 episodes

Guldo: 1 episode

Reccoome: 3 episodes

Burter: 1 episode

Jeice: 1 episode

Ginyu: 2-3 episodes

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Piccolo Jr is about 6

Vegeta has gotta be 5+

Freeza is like 20 lol

Cell vs Gohan is at least 7

Kid Buu lasts 7-8

If you ask me anything more than 3 is pushing it. 3 episodes is an hour of fighting, that's plenty long enough and if they really wish to continue it past that point there should be a break and then a rematch later on.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:09 pm

Depends how it is paced as others have mentioned. The Vegeta fight is relatively long, but it's paced well and doesn't feel long. Cell Games is relatively short compared to other big bads in the whole series, and yet I feel one episode tends to drag. A Cell Games 30 minute episode is so poorly paced that each cutaway makes it feel like a 2 hour episode. Buuhan arc episodes drag like this as well alongside Freeza fighting Goku. I actually think up until Goku arrives to confront Freeza, the episodes are well paced and I was surprised how short those episodes felt when marathonging it. Memory had it differently, but when I got around to watching the Orange Bricks back in 2007/8 the Freeza fight was quick when the other fighters were involved and Goku was in the healing chamber.

Cell Games suffers from Mr Satan shots, overly long power ups, boring choreography (Only that one episode of Goku vs Cell really stands out, the rest suffer from repeated animation even in Shigesha epsiodes), and way too many reaction shots. Compare that to similar situations where the other characters stand around a one-on-one fight like the fight with Nappa or the Ginyu fight, and Cell Games is horribly done in comparison. Even the overall animation looks cheap, using way too many Last House episodes covering that arc.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:16 am

Aside from the Freeza fight, the six episodes immediately after Vegeta comes back to life which consist of "Buuhan smacks around Goku/Vegeta" and then "Vegetto smacks around Buuhan" is probably where the anime felt like it was dragging the worst in terms of overly long fights. Not because it was the longest or anything, but because it felt the most boring and pointless (especially when they have a whole episode of both guys doing that "hold back and use a fraction of true power, lol you thought I was serious?" bullshit). The whole Vegetto battle could've been wrapped up inside of one episode (and going purely by the manga it might actually be shorter), instead it drags on for four episodes. It doesn't help that it's immediately followed by four episodes inside Buu, where all of nothing happens.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.