Why does Episode 47 introduce Goku Black in such a manner?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Why does Episode 47 introduce Goku Black in such a manner?

Post by Freeza9000 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:57 am

I was wondering, back in Episode 47 when Goku Black was introduced killing people, why did the show go through the trouble to introduce him as this demonic looking entity/silhouette? At first, I actually thought that this might be the true identity of Goku Black, but turns out nope. I mean, I understand that the show is trying to portray Goku Black as this terrifying and destructive character, but it didn't really make any sense in the end since Goku Black does not even look like that. In Chapter 15 of the Dragon Ball Super manga, it made more sense because it introduced Black without having to make him as this demonic shadow entity while showing how sadistic Black truly was.
Last edited by Freeza9000 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Why does Episode 47 introduce Goku Black is such a manner?

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:03 am

Freeza9000 wrote:I was wondering, back in Episode 47 when Goku Black was introduced killing people, why did the show go through the trouble to introduce him as this demonic looking entity/silhouette? At first, I actually thought that this might be the true identity of Goku Black, but turns out nope. I mean, I understand that the show is trying to portray Goku Black as this terrifying and destructive character, but it didn't really make any sense in the end since Goku Black does not even look like that. In Chapter 15 of the Dragon Ball Super manga, it made more sense because it introduced Black without having to make him as this demonic shadow entity while showing how sadistic Black truly was.
Abstract imagery is fun to use.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why does Episode 47 introduce Goku Black in such a manner?

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:32 am

Sometimes you just got to go for Style points.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:08 am

Hey it looked spooky, that's good enough reason
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:01 pm

They wanted to show him doing stuff while saving the reveal of what he looked like until the end of the episode. There really was no deeper meaning to it.

...Admittedly that reveal kinda lost its impact by the fact that we could clearly see his face in the opening but eh.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:22 pm

I can't help but think it's also a throwback to the weird, blobby figures that the anime originally presented the Androids as to us in Trunks' description of them, prior to us finding out what they looked like (which actually turned out to be for the best, given the switch-over from 19 and 20 to 17 and 18).
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:22 pm

Well its to show the audience the shocking reveal of the beast who is terrorizing Trunks world, killed Bulma, and "killed" Mai shares the same face of the hero who saved the earth countless of times
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:56 pm

To add emphasis on what monster Goku Black is. I mean, obvsiouly he doesn't actually look like what we first see of him, but that's purposely to provide the context of how Future Trunks views him and we, the audience, should view him as: a complete monster.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:07 pm

i like it ..It was really dark and scary i think the new generation kids will shit in their pants lol

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:15 pm

The revelation at the end of the episode was supposed to be a surprise.

My biggest gripe is Black using techniques in that episode he never used again. Casually flying around enveloped by a dark tornado and shape-shifting into a dark, mist-like entity. Would have been cool if he had abilities like Hirudegarn.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:45 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I can't help but think it's also a throwback to the weird, blobby figures that the anime originally presented the Androids as to us in Trunks' description of them, prior to us finding out what they looked like (which actually turned out to be for the best, given the switch-over from 19 and 20 to 17 and 18).
Oh wow. That's pretty cool

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:58 pm

Well it was to add mystery and show that it was a 'monster'. Sadly for me that all faded away after ep 48.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:34 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:The revelation at the end of the episode was supposed to be a surprise.

My biggest gripe is Black using techniques in that episode he never used again. Casually flying around enveloped by a dark tornado and shape-shifting into a dark, mist-like entity. Would have been cool if he had abilities like Hirudegarn.
I don't think he was actually a mist like entity but him flying around in tornadoes would have been pretty cool
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.