How many prodigies exist?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

How many prodigies exist?

Post by Almighty Majin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:09 pm

The Dragon Ball series has many excellent fighters, but it seems that there are some fighters who just grow insanely quickly in power and the such. I was wondering who exactly are those prodigies in the series?

Here are the people who I think are prodigies:
Gohan
Goten
Vegeta
Future Trunks
Trunks
Piccolo
Yajirobe
Freeza
King Cold
Cell
Cell Jr.
Dabura
U6 Fighters
Zamasu/Black
Uub

I personally don't find Goku to be a prodigy mainly due to how much he trained on Earth and still couldn't even compare to Raditz in the slightest and he was able to get much stronger via getting extra help in his training unlike Vegeta and Piccolo who did the majority of their training on their own. Buu is a weird case since it's unknown if he had any potential to him at all since he was a force of nature.

Non-canon Characters for fun:
Garlic Jr.
Lord Slug
Cooler
Broly
Bojack
Bebi
Mira

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: How many prodigies exist?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:53 pm

-Krillin
-Yamcha
-Muten Roshi
-Chi-Chi
-Tien
-Yajirobe
-Vegeta
-Gohan
-Goten
-Trunks
-Videl
-King Chappa
-Pamput
-Freeza
-King Cold
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:26 am

If we talk about absurd prodigies

Gohan
Goten
Trunks
Krillin
Freeza
Goku
Vegeta
Buu
Cell

Ever db character is prodigious in some way, that's the reason they are, you know, alive
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Perfectionist-Cell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Perfectionist-Cell » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:53 am

As an overall series it's

Broly

Goten

Trunks

Vegeta

Cell

Majin Buu

Hit

Future Trunks

Frieza

They are above everyone else in (Natural Talent) they are fighting prodigies.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:23 pm

Krillin, Yamcha, and Chiaotzu are all prodigies by Earthling standards. Tenshinhan and Yajrobe are what I would call super-prodigies, and Goku too, although a low-level piece of trash by Saiyan standards, was also a super-prodigy by Earthling standards.

By Saiyan standards, King Vegeta was a prodigy, and his son was a super prodigy.

By Namekian standards, Nail was a prodigy, and the son of Katatz was a super, super prodigy.

By standards even higher than that, Gohan and Freeza are prodigies. And by standards even higher than, Goten and Trunks are prodigies. Then, at the highest standards we've seen, godly standards, Oob and Pan are prodigies.

"Who is a prodigy" depends entirely on the standards you're classifying prodigy by. Super prodigy is a term I just made up to differentiate different levels of prodigy among the same race, what's more important is that all of these characters are prodigies, but only by a certain standard. Tenshinhan and Co. were repeatedly, repeatedly shown and stated to be prodigies, but that was back when Earth was all that mattered. Once the aliens showed up, it's obvious that they couldn't be considered prodigies by those standards, Raditz never trained a day in his life yet he was dozens of times stronger than them. But does that erase all the times they were shown and stated to be prodigies? No, it just means they are prodigies by a certain standard, the standard of their own species. Tenshinhan is stated to be a prodigy, but Freeza was also stated to be a prodigy. It's obvious they don't hold equal potential, so it's just different standards.

I don't think Muten Roshi was a prodigy. Maybe talented, but he was mostly a hard worker who sought out incredible training from both Mutaito and Karin, then spent 300 years growing in knowledge in order to reach the point he was at. A prodigy would have to possess immense natural strength, which Muten Roshi obviously didn't (unless 300 years of training barely improved him at all and he was always at the level we saw him at, which I find unlikely). I don't think Nappa was a prodigy either, he was just an elite. A prodigy is the next step after elite.

Cell is a prodigy, but an artificial one. Boo is such a unique being that I don't want to classify him as a prodigy. There's really no standards with which to base him on, since Boo is the only Boo. Beerus could be a prodigy, we don't know, he already has hundreds of millions of years of experience by the time we see him so who knows how much natural strength and talent he possessed, and we also don't know what standards we'd base him off. The standards of a Hakaioshin or the standards of his own race? We've only seen one example of each and it's Champa, who is nearly identical to Beerus, so that tells us nothing. It's impossible to say whether or not Beerus is a prodigy right now.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:22 pm

Goku
Gohan
Goten
Trunks
Vegeta
Future Trunks
Piccolo
Beerus
Hit
Freeza
Broly
Tien
Cooler

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:00 pm

Literally every fighter besides for Chiaotsu is said to be talented in some way during the series. They're all prodigies.
Perfectionist-Cell wrote:As an overall series it's

Broly

Goten

Trunks

Vegeta

Cell

Majin Buu

Hit

Future Trunks

Frieza

How did you manage to forget Gohan and even worse, Goku? haha
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:27 pm

Piccolo is a prodigy because he grew so fast and was already stronger than his father at 3 years old.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:49 pm

kinisking wrote:Literally every fighter besides for Chiaotsu is said to be talented in some way during the series. They're all prodigies.

Broly

Goten

Trunks

Vegeta

Cell

Majin Buu

Hit

Future Trunks

Frieza

Goku isn't really a prodigy. By human standards definitely but not by Saiyan standards.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:03 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
kinisking wrote:Literally every fighter besides for Chiaotsu is said to be talented in some way during the series. They're all prodigies.

Broly

Goten

Trunks

Vegeta

Cell

Majin Buu

Hit

Future Trunks

Frieza

Goku isn't really a prodigy. By human standards definitely but not by Saiyan standards.
What? He's definitely in the top two saiyans of all time.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:11 pm

kinisking wrote:What? He's definitely in the top two saiyans of all time.
A prodigy is someone who is born to be greatness. Goku wasn't born to be greatness... he was born a loser.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:30 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
A prodigy is someone who is born to be greatness. Goku wasn't born to be greatness... he was born a loser.
A prodigy is someome that's extremely talented. It's not the circumstances of your birth.

dragon boss z
I Live Here

Post by dragon boss z » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:12 am

Not including gods

1. Frieza
2. Gohan
3. Goten/Trunks
4. Goku
5. Vegeta

Honorable mentions: Buu, Uub, Cell, King Cold
These characters could be above Frieza or close to him, but there isn't enough info to tell.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:41 pm

kinisking wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
A prodigy is someome that's extremely talented. It's not the circumstances of your birth.
And Goku isn't talented (by the higher standards of prodigy saiyans, Namekians, Freeza's elites, etc. He is talented by human standards though). It took him three years of training under Mr. Popo and Kami in order to master control over and the ability to sense ki. Somebody like Vegeta just needed to know that it was possible and immediately figured it out on his own. THAT'S a prodigy.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:55 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
kinisking wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: A prodigy is someone who is born to be greatness. Goku wasn't born to be greatness... he was born a loser.
And Goku isn't talented (by the higher standards of prodigy saiyans, Namekians, Freeza's elites, etc. He is talented by human standards though). It took him three years of training under Mr. Popo and Kami in order to master control over and the ability to sense ki. Somebody like Vegeta just needed to know that it was possible and immediately figured it out on his own. THAT'S a prodigy.
We don't know how long it took goku to sense ki.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:58 pm

I don't think the the word prodigy means much in this series. They just use it to make some bullshit seem less bullshitty. But really though, every one of the fighters who were part of the main cast at some point could be considered a prodigy.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:37 pm

kinisking wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:
kinisking wrote: A prodigy is someome that's extremely talented. It's not the circumstances of your birth.
It obviously took him a lot longer than instantly.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:13 pm

kinisking wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
I disagree. A prodigy is someone who is seen to be extremely talented from the get-go. Being good doesn't always mean you were a prodigy. Prodigies can fail, and lesser people can succeed. Nobody judges talent perfectly.

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:33 am

I agree with everything except Future Trunks. He's always inferior to Vegeta after he trains. Not to mention he was weaker than the Future Cyborgs for years.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:24 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
kinisking wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: And Goku isn't talented (by the higher standards of prodigy saiyans, Namekians, Freeza's elites, etc. He is talented by human standards though). It took him three years of training under Mr. Popo and Kami in order to master control over and the ability to sense ki. Somebody like Vegeta just needed to know that it was possible and immediately figured it out on his own. THAT'S a prodigy.
It obviously took him a lot longer than instantly.
He was also a heck of a lot younger too. Who is to say Goku wouldnt have learned on his own? Even if you dont believe that its always been shown Goku has extremely acute ki sensing ability.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"