If Super had THIS kind of animation, we would be living in an ideal world!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

If Super had THIS kind of animation, we would be living in an ideal world!

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:37 am

https://youtu.be/QLsZmeqdppM
It's Gorgeous! Absolutely Beautiful! I assume it must be 3D CGI right? Who were the animators!?

3D CGI>>>>>ALL imo.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: If Super had THIS kind of animation, we would be living in an ideal world!

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:07 am

The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:48 am

I was expecting some insane action sequences, i was dissapointed. The art was very on-model though.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:48 am

The cutscenes from the videogames are actually pretty awful though, lol.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:01 am

I'm not sure if you're talking about any specific moment I'm not seeing. Because nothing here looks all that great.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:08 am

Really guys?? What in the world is WRONG with you people!?? This is the most beautiful art out there! The art, the colors, the background. Everything! It looks absolutely gorgeous! Just HOW can anyone NOT like it!?? Lol

I've come to learn that game animation is always far superior to television. They have 3D CGI (looks WAY better imo) these shots with Beerus and Old Kai, as well as the beginning with Goku and Whis.. i don't know what to do with it. Should i eat it or not?

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:09 am

Eh, I dunno about those stuff. Yeah, it looks closer to the new movies, but it's not too extraordinary. Though from the same game, if we saw a movie or a special that looked like the opening cutscene with Bardock, I wouldn't mind seeing something like that. I'm not sure Toei can pull animation like that on a weekly basis for a show.

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:11 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:https://youtu.be/QLsZmeqdppM
It's Gorgeous! Absolutely Beautiful! I assume it must be 3D CGI right? Who were the animators!?

3D CGI>>>>>ALL imo.
What? The only 3D I see there is in the channel intro (first 8 seconds) and then in the realtime 3d (after 4:00)...
Are you sure you posted the right link?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:17 am

Gig wrote:

3D CGI>>>>>ALL imo.
What? The only 3D I see there is in the channel intro (first 8 seconds) and then in the realtime 3d (after 4:00)...
Yes it's the right link. And i could be wrong. Don't really know much about this sort of stuff.

Anyways this is the reason why i loved the animation of Battle Of Gods so much! (The movie ofcourse) and yet somehow it got a shit load of complains and critism here for some very odd reason. (I have absolutely no idea why) cuz i LOVED it!

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:27 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Gig wrote:

3D CGI>>>>>ALL imo.
Yes it's the right link. And i could be wrong. Don't really know much about this sort of stuff.

Anyways this is the reason why i loved the animation of Battle Of Gods so much! (The movie ofcourse) and yet somehow it got a shit load of complains and critism here for some very odd reason. (I have absolutely no idea why) cuz i LOVED it!
I don't feel like this is on the level of BoG. When you say animation do you mean the art? Because Animation wise I don't see anything spectacular being done in that cut scene. Same with the art. I just watched BoG again recently to. I like Xenoverse and all but I never thought any of the cut scenes were anything to write home about, except maybe that one opening with Bardock that was pretty cool.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:49 am

Boo Machine wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
Gig wrote: What? The only 3D I see there is in the channel intro (first 8 seconds) and then in the realtime 3d (after 4:00)...

I don't feel like this is on the level of BoG. When you say animation do you mean the art? Because Animation wise I don't see anything spectacular being done in that cut scene. Same with the art. I just watched BoG again recently to. I like Xenoverse and all but I never thought any of the cut scenes were anything to write home about, except maybe that one opening with Bardock that was pretty cool.
By animation you mean movement?? (Motion)
Could be, we didn't see much of it here. But i do know that battle of gods had one of the best fight scenes. (Specifically Beerus owning the Z Fighters at less than 1%) that was beautifully animated.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:11 am

Yeah, I'm not seeing what's so good about this. There's hardly any actual animation in this. It's mostly just them standing around. And even then, there's nothing really special about it. Super's definitely had more episodes that eclipse this one clip.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:13 am

Wow, I'm sold. 60fps would bring new life and probably give the feeling of proper upgrades in terms of fighting speeds, perception definitely increases :).

PS, I'm amazed how many people use the BoG as a reference for fresh-breeze in the DragonBall animation world, but even the movie itself, is incomparable with the first ever Teaser that was released for BoG. I am a fan of real-life surrounding mixed with fantasy, this teaser hyped me so much that i was actually disappointed with the general graphical delivery
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:25 am

Bansho64 wrote:Yeah, I'm not seeing what's so good about this. There's hardly any actual animation in this. It's mostly just them standing around. And even then, there's nothing really special about it. Super's definitely had more episodes that eclipse this one clip.
I heavily disagree with this.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:35 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: I heavily disagree with this.
Okay? I mean, is there any competition to begin with. There's hardly any actual animation going on in this clip. Yet, in Super, we've gotten some episodes filled with tons of movement. Do you mean the art? Because this is pretty much just people standing around.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:55 am

There's little to no animation in the video you posted. Are still frame characters with flapping mouths considered good animation? By the way, Nashizawa Kouji was the AD and sole key animator for XV2 cut scenes and the characters are on-model, but that's about it.
This hurt my eyes. It is interpolated first of all using a software or some program. Frames have been combined and then inserted in-between the actual frames. There's loss of quality and these videos are pretty much a spit on the animators faces which I absolutely hate.

The fact that it is being praised in the comment section and some even saying all anime should be like this shows that people have no fucking clue about animation in anime.

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:18 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: By animation you mean movement?? (Motion)
Could be, we didn't see much of it here. But i do know that battle of gods had one of the best fight scenes. (Specifically Beerus owning the Z Fighters at less than 1%) that was beautifully animated.
Yes, I think "art" is used to refer to the drawing and "animation" to refer to the movement, or something similar (in this forum you can find many posts referring to "art" and "animation" as distinct things when evaluating an episode).
So I think you meant the drawings.

They look to me standard 2D drawing (good enough), not 3D which imitates 2D (such as "Cel shading" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cel_shading which is used in many videogames with "anime characters" and MAYBE was also used in some scenes of BoG movie)....
Last edited by Gig on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:26 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:Really guys?? What in the world is WRONG with you people!?? This is the most beautiful art out there! The art, the colors, the background. Everything! It looks absolutely gorgeous! Just HOW can anyone NOT like it!?? Lol

I've come to learn that game animation is always far superior to television. They have 3D CGI (looks WAY better imo) these shots with Beerus and Old Kai, as well as the beginning with Goku and Whis.. i don't know what to do with it. Should i eat it or not?
Yeah, really. This scene is really boring animation wise, and even the pretty art is pretty easy to pull off without any actual movement.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:52 am

I feel like I got clickbaited lol. I mean, the art is pretty on-model, but I don't see any "animation." And for the love of god, I hope they never use 3D CGI in Super.
GodVegetto91 wrote:I've come to learn that game animation is always far superior to television. They have 3D CGI (looks WAY better imo) these shots with Beerus and Old Kai, as well as the beginning with Goku and Whis.. i don't know what to do with it. Should i eat it or not?
I'm pretty sure that this is not the case. Xenoverse 1 had an absolutely terrible opening. The cutscenes that were animated were also really bad. And I'm also pretty sure that episode 66 of DBS is probably the best animated episode in DB history, and none of the video game stuff really comes close to it.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:59 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:There's little to no animation in the video you posted. Are still frame characters with flapping mouths considered good animation? By the way, Nashizawa Kouji was the AD and sole key animator for XV2 cut scenes and the characters are on-model, but that's about it.
This hurt my eyes. It is interpolated first of all using a software or some program. Frames have been combined and then inserted in-between the actual frames. There's loss of quality and these videos are pretty much a spit on the animators faces which I absolutely hate.

The fact that it is being praised in the comment section and some even saying all anime should be like this shows that people have no fucking clue about animation in anime.
Alright calm the hell down, no one is spitting on animators faces here, it looks bad to you not to others hence it's praised..
Not everyone is interested in animation details and most don't ever care, that being said, Yes, people have no fucking clue about animation, why are you getting so worked up about it..
If you understand that much educate them instead of raging..

When these videos are being praised It should be pretty obvious people enjoy On point art rather than having smooth animation with everyone with their very own styles to boot, even I understood this fact and I am not into animation at all..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker