Which movie do you prefer, 12 or 13?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Which movie do you prefer, 12 or 13?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:35 pm

Both films are very good, but I think movie 13 wins out ever so slightly. It had a surprisingly stellar cinematic story behind it, a unique threat, and a pretty cool character in the form of Tapion. Also, even though I'm not a fan of Kid Trunks, the way he was written in movie 13 was actually pretty well-done.

To be honest, my only real gripe with the film was that it was the one DBZ movie that I think should've been longer.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:43 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Movie 13 was the first DBZ that had actual substances to the story.
That's probably because it was released after the manga ended so they didn't have to worry about going against it like they did with the other movies.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:03 pm

13, for all that is good and cool about it, ultimately falls into the "ok, time to wrap it up, just have ~goku~ no-sell and one hit KO". Given its patronizing title, it has to be seen as the herald of the Era of Godku - it was followed by the Anime Kid Buu fight and GT, after all.

12, meanwhile, is a fleeting and wonderful glimpse into a world where DB doesn't ride Goku's dick so hard its tonsils get bruised. So it gets the nod, although it is pretty close between them.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:03 pm

DBZ Movie 13 due to be more than just a fun movie, plot that's more than just a superficial excuse for having fights, Tapion is cool.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:11 am

I think I prefer Rebirth of Fusion!! Goku and Vegeta a bit more, if only for the interactions between Goku and Vegeta. Seriously, having them actually work together and bounce off each other made the later portions of the Boo arc pretty fun, and the feeling is captured here as well.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

SuperKirillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperKirillin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Nejishiki wrote:
SuperKirillin wrote:So DBS contradicts this movie
It doesn't particularly contradict it, no. Dragon Ball Super's continuity has no relation to Dragon Ball Z Movie 13's establishment. The film's story exists in a "different dimension" from all other Dragon Ball stories, including the main tale. It can only, if applicable, contradict its own self-contained continuity.
I'd say that that DBZ movies are 'what if...' kind of movies. So if they ever encountered Tapion (a little after Buu saga), Bulma would be able to create a time machine for him.

But in DBS it is revealed that Bulma isn't able to create a Time Machine (unless she uses Future Bulma's notes and examine another time machine).

But anyway the movies are not canon (if you you consider either the 'manga' or 'anime' canon).

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:25 pm

I had a ranking of them but I don't remember exactly; I think I ended up liking them the same. I don't think either are the best out of the 13 though, I think Movie 3 is the best, followed by Movie 1 or 9.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:45 pm

SuperKirillin wrote:But anyway the movies are not canon (if you you consider either the 'manga' or 'anime' canon).
You can say that movie 13 is now 'canon' only to GT, as Trunks has that sword which Tapion gave him. There's also Ryu-ken.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Trunks never used the sword in Dragon Ball GT as far as I can remember. GT Trunks is only seen using the sword in some games and openings.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Marugoto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marugoto » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:47 pm

I prefer movie 13. Much better buildup and pacing than not just movie 12, but most of the other features as well. But still, movie 12 is a lot of fun. It encapsulates the craziness from the middle part of the Boo arc pretty well.

I just find the structural editing near the end a bit jarring. It would've been better if the Goten & Trunks' B plot would have been resolved by the time Goku and Vegeta blew their first fusion. It would be a fun juxtaposition, having the little squirts break no sweat on something their old Dads have real trouble with. Cutting to them fusing right after the big Gogeta reveal kind of lessens the impact and buildup of the latter.

RedShift
Beyond Newbie

Post by RedShift » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:26 pm

I like 12 more. That said I like them both for different reasons.

12 has much more spectacle & "cool" stuff with the characters from the series. On the other hand 13 feels much more like an actual film and is better paced. Also Dragon Fist.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:35 pm

Grimlock wrote:Trunks never used the sword in Dragon Ball GT as far as I can remember. GT Trunks is only seen using the sword in some games and openings.
I read on the wiki he did lol I only watched GT once so they could be right.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:22 pm

Wiki is never right.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:06 am

Grimlock wrote:Wiki is never right.
That's not true. The Dragon Ball Wiki gets the spelling of "Son Goku" and "Kamehameha" right, so they're not always of the mark.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:40 am

Wrath of the Dragon definitely wins for me. I may be saying the same as many others in this thread, but I feel like the plot (save the kinda lame ending) was really good, and Tapion was great as well. Fusion Reborn is cool, but it's more of a "yay awesome max power woo" movie, if you get what I mean.
Lord Beerus wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Wiki is never right.
That's not true. The Dragon Ball Wiki gets the spelling of "Son Goku" and "Kamehameha" right, so they're not always of the mark.
Good quote.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:52 pm

Grimlock wrote:Trunks never used the sword in Dragon Ball GT as far as I can remember. GT Trunks is only seen using the sword in some games and openings.
GT's opening is still GT, so ... :)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:56 pm

Thirteen can genuinely operate as a stand-alone Dragon Ball film, with a complete narrative arc. That, and it has beautiful animation.

Movie 12 is just forty-five minutes of colorful fan service. Fun enough, but there's no comparison.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:46 am

I'd have to actually go back and re-watch them and at french cinéma where I first watched them they were shown as a double-feature...

I do think I preferred the Hildegarn movie, though.