The most satisfying way for YOUR favorite character to perform in the upcoming tournament

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: The most satisfying way for YOUR favorite character to perform in the zeno tournament

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:27 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:Beerus will hold Goku back for the most important fights which he will win.

I expect Vegeta and Piccolo to have the most battles and wins as I think Toriyama will most likely be able to use them in more situations.
I can see him doing this, Goku will fight the main characters of the other universes while Piccolo, Vegeta and maybe Gohan take care of the somewhat high to middle characters or maybe they'll get one main character each alongside that.

I just hope they don't rush anything like the U6 tournament, I don't expect 10+ episodes per fight but we should get 2-3 for each of the main ones.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: The most satisfying way for YOUR favorite character to perform in the zeno tournament

Post by kinisking » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:27 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:
kinisking wrote: Exactly. They'res no way that 18 or 17 who haven't trained a day in their life are more skilled.
Don't forget that 17 and 18 are androids and that they are programmed to fight.
Where they are now on their power scale still remains to be seen.
Gohan is still stronger than 18 though, but he's very VERY rusty.
Nowhere is it stated they are programmed to fight..
All we know us they are enhanced humans who have infinite energy..
The other thing is that Gohan was never stated to be a bad fighter like some people say. The story itself, had nothing but positive things to say about him. People think he is because he never got the chance to use strategy in Z but he was always completely out classed or out clashing his opponents. According to that logic, Tien is a bad fighter. He has interesting techniques, sure, but Goku showed why they were useless. He's never used strategy either. Gohan might not be the smartest fighter in the series but to act like he's a bad fighter is ridiculous. Especially when most of his fights are when he was younger than 11.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:41 pm

kinisking wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:
Nowhere is it stated they are programmed to fight..
All we know us they are enhanced humans who have infinite energy..
The other thing is that Gohan was never stated to be a bad fighter like some people say. The story itself, had nothing but positive things to say about him. People think he is because he never got the chance to use strategy in Z but he was always completely out classed or out clashing his opponents. According to that logic, Tien is a bad fighter. He has interesting techniques, sure, but Goku showed why they were useless. He's never used strategy either. Gohan might not be the smartest fighter in the series but to act like he's a bad fighter is ridiculous. Especially when most of his fights are when he was younger than 11.
That is why Gohan won't get as many fights as you would like on the tournament as he either overpowers his opponents by a lot or he gets his butt kicked easily. To make the tournament interesting they need to have close and varied fights which Gohan does not provide.
kinisking wrote:
SsjCookie wrote:
kinisking wrote: Exactly. They'res no way that 18 or 17 who haven't trained a day in their life are more skilled.
Was their fighting style programmed? I doubt it. Also, we don't know if gohan's been training with Piccolo or not.

Vegeta screws up but also shows why he is a good fighter, whereas Gohan is literally onlu about power.

17 and 18 must have had some fighting installed into them.

Also why does Gohan training with Piccolo mean he will get really strong and be able to compete at a good level. Gohan could improve but so could Piccolo.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:11 pm

kinisking wrote:Well, the great thing about fiction is that it can basically call for anything. This arc could be written in a multitude of ways, so at this moment anything is possible. So, what's wrong with saying our hopes?
"I like this character the mostest, so I hope they do X" is different from "It would be cool if the story went in X direction."

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:30 pm

Cipher wrote:
kinisking wrote:Well, the great thing about fiction is that it can basically call for anything. This arc could be written in a multitude of ways, so at this moment anything is possible. So, what's wrong with saying our hopes?
"I like this character the mostest, so I hope they do X" is different from "It would be cool if the story went in X direction."
The problem is, there's no point bringing all these characters along if all they're going to do is sit on the sidelines and let Goku and Vegeta do everything again.

Absolutely no point at all, even from a plot perspective, to make Universe 7 have ten fighters if only the two leads do anything and the other eight get punted. Hell, you could of reduced the number to five with the same result and saved yourself additional drawing work if the likes of 17, 18, Krillin, Tien and Roshi aren't going to contribute anything.

If they don't do anything, there's no point bringing them along. Universe 7 is on the line. We don't need deadweight on the team.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:47 pm

Namekiansaiyan I'm saying if he was training with Piccolo he might not be rusty. Also gohan trained non stop for 6 years with some of the best masters out there, they'res no way 17 and 18 are more skilled. Lastly, Gohan's an adult now. Future trunks aged and was made much smarter in Super and I won't be surprised if the same happens with Gohan ( although I think both Gohan and Future Trunks never got a chance to show their smarts in the first place rather than it just being a case of getting smarter).
Except its a tournament, so whatever the characters do IS the story.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:46 pm

HeroR wrote:
Gohan really isn't a realistic person for the reasons I named. Most people don't go from meek and having confident issues, to thinking they are the best thing ever, especially after having the humbling experience Super Saiyan 2 Gohan had. This isn't about Gohan gaining self-confident when he becomes powerful. The problem is he goes from one extreme to the next. He goes from having self-doubt to having an ego that can rival Vegeta. It comes off as off-balance at best and OOC at worst.

Gohan didn't really show confident in BOG. He saw him try to attack Beerus after he took down several of his friends and get wrack. He was determine, but not self-confident. In Resurrection 'F', both the movie and series, he wasn't really self-confident since he knew he was out of shape and he knew good and well he couldn't take Freeza. If you used the dub, he actually says to Bulma after she asked if he could take down Freeza, 'I can take care of his men, maybe'. That isn't self-confidence. He only acted assured in Super with dealing with Ginyu, and that wasn't from a place of arrogant.

He was being arrogant for letting Gotenks fight, because he only allowed it to happened because he was sure that even if Gotenks messed up, he could just step in and waste Buu. This is despite Piccolo saying that something was wrong. Gohan didn't let Gotenks fight to let the next generation get a shot. He did it because he was arrogant in his power and thought he could afford to humor Buu. The Goku comparison doesn't work because Goku couldn't beat Cell no matter what he did, so he had no choice but to rely on Gohan.

Gohan wasn't confident in his ability to deal with Dabura after the tongue-lashing Vegeta gave him. He even mourns to himself that he probably should have let Goku or Vegeta handle Dabura.
Gohan does not mourn to himself that he should have let Goku or Vegeta handle Dabura. I don't know where you're getting that from?

See the thing is Gohan didn't go from meek and having confident issues to thinking he was the best thing ever! He went from a person with a regular esteem that had an insecure moment to a person that was having a confident moment. That's not unheard of considering it was two different events and two different days. Just because he has insecure moments doesn't mean he's insecure. Just because he has confident moments doesn't mean he's only confident. I don't see why he can't be a mix of both? Insecure when he fails at something and confident when he thinks he has a chance at succeeding. Just like a regular person.

Gohan said he'll hold him off and told Krillin to get others to safety implying that he was confident in his ability to fight Beerus.

In ROF, he interrupts Shisami's and Piccolo's fight because he's confident he'll be able to end it. He doesn't want to "take any chances" with Piccolo. What Gohan said to bulma wasn't confident, I'll agree. But I'm not here to debate whether or not he has insecure moments. I'm just saying it's not part of his default character. He's a regular person that has confident moments and insecure moments. He knows when to be confident and knows when to be humble, that's one of the reasons why I like him.

Again, you're assuming A WHOLE LOT. Like I said, Gohan didn't want Gotenks to fight. He rejected the notion completely. He only let them fight when they fused without his permission and he noticed how strong they were. Even then, he told them to be careful. If anything Trunks was the one who was being cocky. He was the one who flat out disrespected Piccolo and told him that Boo wouldn't be able to do anything to them.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:22 am

kinisking wrote: The other thing is that Gohan was never stated to be a bad fighter like some people say. The story itself, had nothing but positive things to say about him. People think he is because he never got the chance to use strategy in Z but he was always completely out classed or out clashing his opponents. According to that logic, Tien is a bad fighter. He has interesting techniques, sure, but Goku showed why they were useless. He's never used strategy either. Gohan might not be the smartest fighter in the series but to act like he's a bad fighter is ridiculous. Especially when most of his fights are when he was younger than 11.
The story doesn't need to hold my hand and tell me that Gohan is a mediocre fighter. He has never shown the amount of skill or techniques compared to the entire human cast, Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo. He either dominates his enemies or he goes down quickly. There is nothing to point to that says that he's anything above average and what carries him through is his latent power and rage boosts.

Using Tien is just stupid. Tien have shown several clever tactics and skill. Him getting outsmarted by Goku, who he was about even with when they first fought, simply shows that Goku is better than him in this area. And it's an outright lie to say that Tien never used strategy. He had a brilliant one when he destroyed the ring during the 22 World Martial Arts Tournament, which would eventually forced Goku into a ring out since he couldn't fly while he could. He only messed up because he stood within Goku's attack range.

Vegeta, even when outclassed, also showed more tactical smarts than Gohan even when outclass. Just look at his entire fight with Recoome when he got several sneak attacks in despite fighting a losing battle. So you can't used the excuse, 'well, Gohan is almost always outclass' as an excuse for his poor ability to think ahead and just use bull charges.

The only fighters that Gohan are superior to from a technical point of view are the androids who are more like street brawlers and Fat Buu who relies heavily on his broken and natural abilities to get ahead. Even then, Buu showed pretty interesting stuff when he was getting his butt handed to him by Kid Buu.
kinisking wrote: Gohan does not mourn to himself that he should have let Goku or Vegeta handle Dabura. I don't know where you're getting that from?

See the thing is Gohan didn't go from meek and having confident issues to thinking he was the best thing ever! He went from a person with a regular esteem that had an insecure moment to a person that was having a confident moment. That's not unheard of considering it was two different events and two different days. Just because he has insecure moments doesn't mean he's insecure. Just because he has confident moments doesn't mean he's only confident. I don't see why he can't be a mix of both? Insecure when he fails at something and confident when he thinks he has a chance at succeeding. Just like a regular person.

Gohan said he'll hold him off and told Krillin to get others to safety implying that he was confident in his ability to fight Beerus.

In ROF, he interrupts Shisami's and Piccolo's fight because he's confident he'll be able to end it. He doesn't want to "take any chances" with Piccolo. What Gohan said to bulma wasn't confident, I'll agree. But I'm not here to debate whether or not he has insecure moments. I'm just saying it's not part of his default character. He's a regular person that has confident moments and insecure moments. He knows when to be confident and knows when to be humble, that's one of the reasons why I like him.

Again, you're assuming A WHOLE LOT. Like I said, Gohan didn't want Gotenks to fight. He rejected the notion completely. He only let them fight when they fused without his permission and he noticed how strong they were. Even then, he told them to be careful. If anything Trunks was the one who was being cocky. He was the one who flat out disrespected Piccolo and told him that Boo wouldn't be able to do anything to them.
He mourned about his performance to Dabura after Vegeta tore him a new one.

Gohan went from having confident issues, to toying and humoring Super Buu. That doesn't make any sense no matter how he sliced it, especially since there is a huge different between having confidence and being Vegeta.

That really isn't confident. That's a hold the line mentality.

The point is that Gohan's character isn't default to self-confidence. He's normally cautious, which is why he said, 'I can take care of his men, maybe' and him taking care of Shisami quickly instead of letting the fight drag is showing Gohan as being cautious, not self-confident. Namely, Piccolo maybe able to handle this guy, but it's best to take him down quickly just in case he has something up his sleeve. Basically the same mentality he should of had against Super Buu.

That isn't assuming, that is exactly what happened. He saw Buu, but instead of taking him out quickly and being down with it, he humored Buu and Goten and Trunks' request to fight. If he had the same mentality he showed in Resurrection 'F' with with Shisami, he could have easily said, 'You can probably beat Buu, but best not to take any chances' and then one-shot Buu. The fact that he didn't kill Buu right away instead of listening to his request to fight Gotenks shows that he was being arrogant, especially when Piccolo said something wasn't right. So, Gohan has no excuse, especially if you're going to reference Gohan taking out Shisami.
Last edited by HeroR on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:23 am

Will Freeza get revived then? 'heh, heh, heh'.

But in actual honesty I would like to see how tien manages to fare against all these Godlike opponents, has the plot finially granted him the training gains to be stronger than Krillin?

Has he developed new and intriguing abilities.

And to answer the main question, I just pray to god that he gets past the first round

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:13 am

Gog wrote:Will Freeza get revived then? 'heh, heh, heh'.

But in actual honesty I would like to see how tien manages to fare against all these Godlike opponents, has the plot finially granted him the training gains to be stronger than Krillin?

Has he developed new and intriguing abilities.

And to answer the main question, I just pray to god that he gets past the first round
I wish Freeza got revived, if only for this tournament. I'd want to see some character development from him but not sure if he'd change even if he was alive.

I've started moving tien more and more since super started and I hope he does really well during the tournament! Dude deserves it so much. Honestly more so than any character there imo.

I don't really dislike any character in dragonBall besides for the Pilaf gang so I'm hoping that every character does well actually

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:10 am

HeroR wrote:Gohan has proven that he can't trash talk and get away with it since he let Buu escaped instead of just murdering him. Vegetto is a poor example since he trash talk Buu for a reason, while Gohan just did it to because he felt like it. And Gohan wasn't cautious against Buu since if he was, he would have killed Buu the moment he showed his face again, no ifs or ands about it. Not even Vegeta would make such a mistake, mostly because he would want to kill his opponent himself.
Contextually speaking, Boo forced Gohan to protect Piccolo, Trunks, and Goten when he decided to blow himself up. They would die if Gohan failed to act. Boo took advantage of Gohan's worries to hide and wait until Gotenks could reappear. Later on, Gohan shuts down Trunks and Goten's involvement at every opportunity the moment Boo requests them. When Boo taunted the children, they decided to merge on their own. Throughout this scenario, Trunks refused to acknowledge Piccolo while Gohan was dumbfounded by their insistence to fuse.

While it's fair to note Gohan remained silent and let them have their way after the deed was done, it wasn't portrayed as if he wanted them to join the battle with him. Yes, it wasn't wise in hindsight and better decisions were available. I don't agree that he was the main individual responsible for what happened nor it being done with the mindset of arrogance. It's to Boo's credit that he was able to get a rise out of the boys just as it's to Gohan's detriment to be polite with his brother and his friend instead of being stern with individuals aside from Boo.

A different result may have surfaced if Gohan thought to support Piccolo's words. One could say that's Gohan's meekness at play with those he's familiar with while he's harsh with his enemies, as mentioned by kinisking.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:03 am

Nowhere is it stated they are programmed to fight.
I always sort of presumed they were programmed to fight, because to me they have a very artificial feel to their fighting styles.
But you're right, it was never stated.
We know next to nothing about those two before they became androids other than that they are orphans.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:06 am

Nejishiki wrote:
HeroR wrote:Gohan has proven that he can't trash talk and get away with it since he let Buu escaped instead of just murdering him. Vegetto is a poor example since he trash talk Buu for a reason, while Gohan just did it to because he felt like it. And Gohan wasn't cautious against Buu since if he was, he would have killed Buu the moment he showed his face again, no ifs or ands about it. Not even Vegeta would make such a mistake, mostly because he would want to kill his opponent himself.
Contextually speaking, Boo forced Gohan to protect Piccolo, Trunks, and Goten when he decided to blow himself up. They would die if Gohan failed to act. Boo took advantage of Gohan's worries to hide and wait until Gotenks could reappear. Later on, Gohan shuts down Trunks and Goten's involvement at every opportunity the moment Boo requests them. When Boo taunted the children, they decided to merge on their own. Throughout this scenario, Trunks refused to acknowledge Piccolo while Gohan was dumbfounded by their insistence to fuse.

While it's fair to note Gohan remained silent and let them have their way after the deed was done, it wasn't portrayed as if he wanted them to join the battle with him. Yes, it wasn't wise in hindsight and better decisions were available. I don't agree that he was the main individual responsible for what happened nor it being done with the mindset of arrogance. It's to Boo's credit that he was able to get a rise out of the boys just as it's to Gohan's detriment to be polite with his brother and his friend instead of being stern with individuals aside from Boo.

A different result may have surfaced if Gohan thought to support Piccolo's words. One could say that's Gohan's meekness at play with those he's familiar with while he's harsh with his enemies, as mentioned by kinisking.
Thing is, Gohan could have easily killed Buu before he opened his mouth. Why did he allow Buu talk rile Goten and Trunks? Even after Gotenks was formed, he could have easily smashed Gotenks. There were simply too many opportunities for Gohan to kill Buu to just write it off. Trunks and Goten hold blame, but they're also children. Gohan is a teenager who have seen what a villain can do when desperate so he should know better.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:18 am

sintzu wrote: I just hope they don't rush anything like the U6 tournament, I don't expect 10+ episodes per fight but we should get 2-3 for each of the main ones.
I am also worried about that, one of the remaining major flaws of Super imo is that everything is so rushed, I know Z could be a bit long at times but we're at the other extreme with Super, a just middleground has yet to be found, starting with longer, properly animated fights!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:16 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
sintzu wrote: I just hope they don't rush anything like the U6 tournament, I don't expect 10+ episodes per fight but we should get 2-3 for each of the main ones.
I am also worried about that, one of the remaining major flaws of Super imo is that everything is so rushed, I know Z could be a bit long at times but we're at the other extreme with Super, a just middleground has yet to be found, starting with longer, properly animated fights!
It's almost guaranteed they will rush through all the fights until the very last one, and that will at most get 2 at best..
Best prepare for this, super's track record dosen't instill and confidence whatsoever in this aspect
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:20 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
It's almost guaranteed they will rush through all the fights until the very last one, and that will at most get 2 at best..
Best prepare for this, super's track record dosen't instill and confidence whatsoever in this aspect
I hope not, I've been retwatching the Vegito vs Zamasu fight and it wasn't even 2 minutes long if you account every punch and kick thrown.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:22 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:I hope not, I've been retwatching the Vegito vs Zamasu fight and it wasn't even 2 minutes long if you account every punch and kick thrown.
His fight with Buuhan in Z was 2-3 episodes and in Kai it was 2.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:45 pm

Well, Master Roshi would have to seal someone that Goku or Vegeta couldn't beat. He's not really my favorite, but yeah, he needs to do that.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The most satisfying way for YOUR favorite character to perform in the upcoming tournament

Post by SaiyanZ » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:02 pm

I want Goku to be like how he was during the Cell Games and/or the 24th (I think?) BT during the Buu arc. I don't want hyperactive reactions from him at "OOOO STRONG GUYS YOOOSHHH".
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:45 am

HeroR wrote:Thing is, Gohan could have easily killed Buu before he opened his mouth. Why did he allow Buu talk rile Goten and Trunks? Even after Gotenks was formed, he could have easily smashed Gotenks. There were simply too many opportunities for Gohan to kill Buu to just write it off. Trunks and Goten hold blame, but they're also children. Gohan is a teenager who have seen what a villain can do when desperate so he should know better.
I'm not quite sure where you're going with that. As the scene was presented, everyone was anticipating Boo to do "something". It was out of left field for him to suddenly shout at the children like that with tensions as high as they were. We know in hindsight that it was safe to attack Boo. Yet moments before that, he escaped & returned confident with no apparent changes but with an obvious plan concocted on his demeanor. Something strange was afoot. The opposing party was attempting to gauge what he was planning to do before attacking too early.

In their perspective, a trap was at play & they were right. They just happened to fall for it anyway despite their fear of the new unknown. With nobody, especially Piccolo, disagreeing with that level of concern, their actions were reasonable. Reasonable minds, but not infallible minds. What made everything fall apart, as per Boo's intentions, was Goten & Trunks jumping in without concern if their mettle was called into question.

I feel that questions such as "why didn't he smash half of his brother" are weird & not minding the current mindsets of everyone involved. Of course we're aware of better options. In-universe, in real time, it happened too fast for anyone to sit & reflect on each panel individually (which they already did beforehand). Rather than viewing it as being written off, consider the heat of the moment for the characters. You reference Gohan's past. He didn't think long term about consequences with Cell. He, along with the rest of the group, considered the long term consequences here. Together, it was concluded Boo wasn't planning to destroy Earth thus a repeat of Cell's explosion wasn't on either Piccolo or Gohan's mind & that's plenty reasonable, I feel.