Dragon Ball Z DVD singles question

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The One and Only Nam

Dragon Ball Z DVD singles question

Post by The One and Only Nam » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi! So I purchased a new copy of Dragon Ball Z Captain Ginyu - Double Cross, and when I opened the case, there was no insert. Are there supposed to be inserts in the DVD singles by Funimation since I noticed that in the Pioneer DVD releases there were inserts.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z DVD singles question

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Not always, to be honest. The only post-Pioneer inserts that come to mind are from the Dragon Ball, GT, and Ultimate Uncut singles. I know that a lot of the singles didn't have inserts. At most, they'd have some Funimation survey, but a lot of the singles don't have anything.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Yeah, TheGreatness25 pretty much has it all covered. They didn't start doing inserts at all for awhile. I'm not sure if any of the original in-house Z singles had inserts. And while the ones for DB were actually important (episode guides since there were too many episodes per set to list and describe on the back of the box), most of their inserts were just release calendars for whatever they were putting out at the time. Important from a completionist standpoint, for the novelty, or just trivia, but no practical application nowadays.

Double Cross was the second DVD they ever put out and as such was one of the most barebones of the lot. I own it and can guarantee you you aren't missing any physical content whatsoever.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:43 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Not always, to be honest. The only post-Pioneer inserts that come to mind are from the Dragon Ball, GT, and Ultimate Uncut singles. I know that a lot of the singles didn't have inserts. At most, they'd have some Funimation survey, but a lot of the singles don't have anything.
I can third this. I have all the singles and none aside from the Pioneer ones have inserts.

The One and Only Nam

Post by The One and Only Nam » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Thank You for all the info!