You wanted strong women in Dragon Ball? (spoilers)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Re: You wanted strong women in Dragon Ball? (spoilers)

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:38 am

Saturnine wrote:
supersaiyangodgogeta wrote:This is an opportunity for a multiplier to be revealed for the form(just a ballpark statement like her power increases several dozens of times over) so people will stop saying that LSSJ is a 2x boost or something even though it's feats directly contradict that.
You mean it should be more?

SSj2 Gohan put up a fight against Broly, even though Broly was stronger, and Gohan was weaker. 2x for SSj2 never seemed right to me either. Still, it should be stronger than LSSj as a form.

We seriously do bot need multipliers. We only need for them to easily tell us who is stronger than who.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:39 am

Vegito Black wrote:Willing to bet this is toeis idea.

Toriyama: so over 100 characters, tell you what toeis I design 50 and story important characters you guys make other randoms

Toei: OK sensei

Toriyama: don't do anything to crazy

Toei: alright let's make broly

Toei administrator: ****ing genius

Toriyama sees trailer

Toriyama: dafuq
To be perfectly honest, I'm also thinking that Brolyne is a Toei creation, as Toriyama has surely not designed 135 new characters. It's at least as likely that Toriyama has designed the characters that will be important to the story (so all Gods of Destruction and attendants plus the most important fighters) and let Toei and Toyotarou come up with the rest of them by themselves. Of course, there's no way for us to know that until the manga release comes around. If Brolyne isn't in the manga, then we'll know.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:55 am

Was it that hard to give us this :problem:
Dragonball shouldn't have been a kids show, we would also have gotten more blood
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:23 am

The trolling is maximum.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:03 am

KinguKurimuzon wrote:I'm fucking floored. I really have no idea what to say about this, who the hell expected the first female Super Saiyan in canon to be fucking fem-Broly? Even then, that's not getting into how Broly is now semi-canon, I guess. I'm not even conflicted, I seriously can't wrap my head around the fact that this is actually happening.
Canon to you, but not to me. Broly is a movie character.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:37 am

So, I go through times when I'm kinda inactive here and then I come back after a lull in posting... this is one of those times...

This new development..... This could either be great or completely and utterly terrible.....

I freaking hate Broli. I think he's the worst character in the entire franchise of Dragon Ball. My ire with him can be most accurately summed up by.... Vegeta in TFS Broli Abridged.... like, exactly that.... He has a pretty good, intimidating design going for him and literally nothing else. His backstory, ESPECIALLY his motivation... everything about him but the design is utter garbage and his popularity is an example of everything that is wrong with the DB Fanbase. He looks cool, and "His Power is Maximum" so a legion of "OMIGAWD HARDCAWR ACSHUN!!" fanboys go nuts for him despite him having literally no substance beyond that.

That being said, we know nothing about this "female Broli" EXCEPT that she seems to be borrowing elements of his design.... which is the one good thing Broli had going for him... and it's a Female Super Saiyan finally, and more strong female characters in the series.

Her coming from a universe where, presumably there isn't a Goku would mean Broli's original backstory won't work for her, so they'll have to in some way get creative with it.... or they can drop the ball and say she's from a Universe a lot like ours and there was a Goku (or someone filling that role) and it's the same ridiculously dumb backstory with the same bullshit motivation ("He made me cry as a baby! Waaaaah!! Kill!!!!")

So.... VERY VERY CAUTIOUSLY optimistic here.... this could either be a great thing rectifying the massive mistake that was Broli.... or it could be a repeat of that mistake....
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:49 am

DemonRin wrote: So.... VERY VERY CAUTIOUSLY optimistic here....
How do you even do that..
If you are scared of getting optimistic aren't you a bit pessimistic :eh:

But Yes, broly female cam go both ways, most likely it's going to be a disaster
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:00 pm

DemonRin wrote:That being said, we know nothing about this "female Broli" EXCEPT that she seems to be borrowing elements of his design.... which is the one good thing Broli had going for him... and it's a Female Super Saiyan finally, and more strong female characters in the series.

Her coming from a universe where, presumably there isn't a Goku would mean Broli's original backstory won't work for her, so they'll have to in some way get creative with it.... or they can drop the ball and say she's from a Universe a lot like ours and there was a Goku (or someone filling that role) and it's the same ridiculously dumb backstory with the same bullshit motivation ("He made me cry as a baby! Waaaaah!! Kill!!!!")
Brolyne (that nickname is extra epic considering your avatar) is borrowing way too much from Broly's design if you ask me. Her bangs don't really work since they go all Broly-like, but she only has one bang while the rest of her hair is bound in a long ponytail. She has gold braces, which is arguably the worst part, because it's way too specific and similar to Broly. I'm all for a female Super Saiyan, but I can't get behind Brolyne.
I'm hoping for some sort of Hulk thing where Brolyne's transformation is just uncontrollably triggered by a general emotion. If they make it into being because of a certain person just like with Broly, then that's a horrendous amount of rip-offery, and I would not put that past them.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:11 pm

Alruneia wrote:
DemonRin wrote:That being said, we know nothing about this "female Broli" EXCEPT that she seems to be borrowing elements of his design.... which is the one good thing Broli had going for him... and it's a Female Super Saiyan finally, and more strong female characters in the series.

Brolyne (that nickname is extra epic considering your avatar) is borrowing way too much from Broly's design if you ask me. Her bangs don't really work since they go all Broly-like, but she only has one bang while the rest of her hair is bound in a long ponytail. She has gold braces, which is arguably the worst part, because it's way too specific and similar to Broly. I'm all for a female Super Saiyan, but I can't get behind Brolyne.
I'm hoping for some sort of Hulk thing where Brolyne's transformation is just uncontrollably triggered by a general emotion. If they make it into being because of a certain person just like with Broly, then that's a horrendous amount of rip-offery, and I would not put that past them.
Her bangs look a lot like that "left face half bang" is still more obvious as LLSJ than the other bangs.

Also DB does not care about consistent or appropriate hairstyle. See RF Gohan going Super Saiyajin.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:31 pm

What i should be doing right now is being mad over this and hating super, but i'm actually really calmed. I mean, i don't know the cahracter yet and so far she has one good thing She's a freaking female super saiyan!!!!!!, if Toriyama/Toei gives her a good personality, motivations and all that, then i'm up for it. I mean, back then Black Goku just seemed like a typical "evil Goku" and he turned out being one of the most loved villains in the franchise (considered the best by many).
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Oh no poor #18 and Gohan......

I have a horrible premonition that one or both of them are going to have to fight her.....and neither of them have good experiences with movie Broly!
It's a fair chance that someone from U7 will get demolished by this character. It might very well be 18 or Gohan. Imagine the rage. Gohan beats a fodder with mild difficulty then gets utterly demolished by Fem-Broly.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:47 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
A disaster like Beerus, Champa or Black? I remember all the hate for these characters and look what happened, this happened three times and everybody still critizice a character because of the design, at this point you should have learned to wait until you meet the character and know his story before hating him/her with all your heart

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:03 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
A disaster like Beerus, Champa or Black? I remember all the hate for these characters and look what happened, this happened three times and everybody still critizice a character because of the design, at this point you should have learned to wait until you meet the character and know his story before hating him/her with all your heart
No, a disaster like golden freeza..
Broly having tits is very odd, dosen't take a fortune teller to know some fans are gonna freak out

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:15 pm

The images from the trailer look like they are taken from the new opening. If Brolyn gets featured so much in it I can't imagine her being an unimportant, filler-ish character, so I think it would be more reasonable to assume it was Toriyama's idea and not Toei's. I don't think it matters either way, just my 2 cents.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:16 pm

It's not the first time we see a female character go grotesquely bulky. See: Biscuit from Hunter x Hunter.

My issue is they straight up ripped Broly's design. It's not creative, and again, a slap in the face to fans of that character, as it's stripping him of pretty much his only unique quality, sadism aside.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Beyond wrote:Broly 2.0 is going to get wanked in every sense of the word.
Every sense of the word? :shock:
I'll have you know this is a children's program...

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
Broly having tits is very odd, dosen't take a fortune teller to know some fans are gonna freak out
Of course, the design comes directly from Broly's but that's the only thing in common, everybody is already assuming she IS Broly and hating because of that, when we don't know anything about her. Obviously, they could have done a better job in the design.
Golden Freezer never received a lot of hate like this new character, this is something similar to Black Goku, and when SSJ Rose was revealed
Also I only saw bad comments about this character here, in any other forum or in YouTube, beside a few people, nobody is actually hating the character

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
Of course, the design comes directly from Broly's but that's the only thing in common, everybody is already assuming she IS Broly and hating because of that, when we don't know anything about her. Obviously, they could have done a better job in the design.
Golden Freezer never received a lot of hate like this new character, this is something similar to Black Goku, and when SSJ Rose was revealed
Also I only saw bad comments about this character here, in any other forum or in YouTube, beside a few people, nobody is actually hating the character
Not hating on her in the slightest, you might tell how pumped I am about this by looking at my avatar..
That dosen't mean I don't understand the consequences of making a big part of the fanbase get their character to grow boobs, it just Doesn't work with some people..
And don't tell me she isn't a total broly, anyone can see what they tried to do there

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: No, a disaster like golden freeza..
Not hating on her in the slightest, you might tell how pumped I am about this by looking at my avatar..
That dosen't mean I don't understand the consequences of making a big part of the fanbase get their character to grow boobs, it just Doesn't work with some people..
And don't tell me she isn't a total broly, anyone can see what they tried to do there
This makes me glad I stopped watching the show right after DBGT. Everything after turned into utter shit IMHO.

The stories are regurgitated, the animation is bad, the sound effects are not the same, the music is done very poorly, and they're playing everything safe. This franchise has become an embarrassment to those fans like myself.

Why didn't they create stories of the characters when they were a lot younger? Instead, they have to make BIGGER transformations, BIGGER explosions, MORE powerful enemies, etc. They wrapped everything up in DBGT and it should've ended. At the very least, make a story about Vegeta Jr. and Goku Jr.

This "Evil Goku", Lady Broly", "Return of Freeza", and "Super Saiyan God" looks dumb and unoriginal.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:58 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:
This makes me glad I stopped watching the show right after DBGT. Everything after turned into utter shit IMHO.

The stories are regurgitated, the animation is bad, the sound effects are not the same, the music is done very poorly, and they're making this franchise an embarrassment to fans like myself.
Nah, the animation, story and music got better since the fights vs Hit, and the only sound effect I don't like is the teletransportation's. If you give it a chance you may like Super
Last edited by Alee9977 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.