Should Dragon Balls be able to bring people back to life?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Re: Should Dragon Balls be able to bring people back to life?

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:48 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Its obvious Ocean lampshaded a lot more than they mistranslated/censored in that irony.
- Tenshinhan can grow extra arms.
- They are being sent to "another dimension" and Piccolo casually asked Gohan to just wish him back when its over in the ocean scene.
- Being sent to another dimension sounds like it has more weight than kinda "dying" as the actual series portrays it.
- Minus was a Krypton-Vegeta retcon.
I wouldn't say that. Some things may sound funny in retrospect, but I doubt that was the intention.

For instance, we know Ten can grow extra arms, but we were never told he can regenerate his regular limbs. I doubt they were trying to lampshade an ability which was only seen in episodes they didn't even have access to.

Regarding the "another dimension" bit, I'd say Piccolo asking Gohan to bring him back (and Kami, Goku and Gohan himself talking about it later) is one of the worst dub-induced plotholes, since the original scene was entirely the opposite.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts