Tournament Of Power - Rules & Battle Royale Explained

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Tournament Of Power - Rules & Battle Royale Explained

Post by Kastex » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:25 pm

In episode 81, the OFFICIAL rules for the tournament of power have been announced. it has also been revealed that the entire tournament will last roughly 48 minutes, and ALL 80 fighters will be battling on the arena at the same time. the rules are as follows:
1. Fighters must leave the arena (through any means) to be removed from the tournament.
2. Outside weapons are not allowed (only techniques)
3. Killing is not allowed
4. Flight abilities are nullified during the tournament
5. The universe with the most remaining fighters once the time limit is up wins the tournament

imagine yourself, suddenly transported to an unknown location alongside your team (as any universe you choose to be a part of). suddenly there is nothing but void, you are all alone. then your feet meet with the floor, at the same time, you see your team again. do you know them? can you trust them? there is one giant arena with all 80 fighters on it. the 48 minute count down is about to begin. you notice the tension that has been building in the air start to surround team universe 7, yet you can't forget that every team is surrounded by their enemy. you look around and there are only fearsome fighters whom you know nothing about. there will only be one universe to be victorious, and defeat is not an option for anyone. will you form a temporary alliance with another universe, or stand only with your own?

you are not allowed to kill anyone, yet your actions will mean the deaths of quadrillions of lives no matter what you do.

this is phenomenal. these rules promote battling together as a team rather than there being a carry. it is rare in the dragon ball franchise that the z warriors do battle as a team. this tournament turns everything we know on its head and produces a new type of battle that we've never seen before. to really understand the hype, you have to understand just how well these rules compliment each other. all a universe has to do to win this tournament is to defend or retreat. this means that it is not just about battle strength. tactics, strategy, and ability are key. even if 9 fighters from a universe get knocked unconscious, the last team member can defend them until they wake up or the timer runs out, and that will still count as having all 10 fighters since they were not removed from the arena. i can't stress enough that we have never seen anything like this in the dragon ball franchise before.

we've seen that goku, vegeta, and gohan are even vulnerable to stupid things like poison or sleeping gas. if there is a fighter with AOE paralysis abilities in the arena, universe 7 is done for (well if they didn't have androids at least). think about it, goku has shown all of the gods his full power. all they have to do is gather fighters that can counter that power, even without fighting it. they obviously will do this, and maybe even urge their fighters to work with other universes to take out universe 7 first just because they know what goku is capable of. to them it is not just a battle of strength, it is a battle for survival. i suppose a petty universe can gather fighters so weak that they will die just by being touched. if they can't even be touched, how can they be defeated with rules like this?

anything is possible and we have no idea what's going to happen. then you also have to consider other aspects of the tournament, like what if there is a tie? the only rules regarding winning is that the team with the most fighters still left on the field after the time limit wins. this means that even all 8 universes can tie with each other, or even 2 universes can tie with each other. i believe there will be a tie and then we may see some 1v1s. this can potentially be the greatest tournament in all of anime history.

what do you guys think will happen in this tournament? any thoughts or suggestions on how things might play out? what kind of fighters do you think or expect to see?
Last edited by Kastex on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Tournament Of Power - Rules & Battle Royale Explained

Post by Zephyr » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:35 pm

I do really like that power alone isn't the most important thing. Team work and tactics are incredibly important. This sufficiency justifies, to me at least, bringing Roshi and Tenshinhan over stupid kids like Goten and Trunks. I do expect a "tie" of some sort to happen, ultimately serving to get around destroying entire universes.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:35 pm

As I said... Hit is nerfed again with no killing

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Kastex wrote: imagine yourself, suddenly transported to an unknown location alongside your team (as any universe you choose to be a part of). suddenly there is nothing but void, you are all alone. then your feet meet with the floor, at the same time, you see your team again. do you know them? can you trust them? there is one giant arena with all 80 fighters on it. the 48 minute count down is about to begin. you notice the tension that has been building in the air start to surround team universe 7, yet you can't forget that every team is surrounded by their enemy. you look around and there are only fearsome fighters whom you know nothing about. there will only be one universe to be victorious (unless there's like a tie between 4 universes), and defeat is not an option for anyone. will you form a temporary alliance with another universe, or stand only with your own?

you are not allowed to kill anyone, yet your actions will mean the deaths of quadrillions of lives no matter what you do.
That was.. a very exciting experience!
The thrill this would give is immense, just imagining it was awesome..

This indeed presents great opportunities for story telling, if they slowly drip feed it, this would be very good..

As for this special quoted region, this would make a pretty good game, why not post this part in another section
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:42 pm

Not only Hit is nerfed, but also everybody because of the no flying rule.
Also, drugs are allowed apparently.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Alee9977 wrote:Not only Hit is nerfed, but also everybody because of the no flying rule.
Did they say this? I don't remember drugs being allowed was stated..

Also hit was plenty powerful not killing anyone, the only one who gave him a challenge was goku, assuming anyone else even understands what his time skip os about they can't counter him anyway..

Assume this to be a fight like freeza army..
We will see gohan, hit, fem broly, blad alien dude all knocking opponents out left and right for half an episode..
Then we see them choose an opponent each and fight them..
It even goes with the op, one vs one with others fighting their own in the side
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:56 pm

I feel like Gohan is going to be the one to utilize the rules the best to his advantage. Gohan has been leveling up his intelligence stat it would seem. College, and Piccolo's training camp are about to pay off.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:Not only Hit is nerfed, but also everybody because of the no flying rule.
Did they say this? I don't remember drugs being allowed was stated..

Also hit was plenty powerful not killing anyone, the only one who gave him a challenge was goku, assuming anyone else even understands what his time skip os about they can't counter him anyway..

Assume this to be a fight like freeza army..
We will see gohan, hit, fem broly, blad alien dude all knocking opponents out left and right for half an episode..
Then we see them choose an opponent each and fight them..
It even goes with the op, one vs one with others fighting their own in the side
I assumed drugs are allowed because nobody mentioned it, maybe in the middle of the tournament when somebody tries to use something to increase his power, Daishinkan will stop him saying it is not allowed and that he forgot to mention it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:26 pm

The concept of the battle royal really helps guys like Roshi, who can't fly. I love that power isn't the be-all-end-all for this tournament. Strategy, teamwork and battle smarts are the true winning factors.

Really looking forward to this.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:51 pm

Those rules are totally wrong.

Playing conservatively will be the key.
I dunno if they will apply any logic for show reasons, but the best strategy is to stay compact and DO NOTHING, creating a perfect defensive fortress.
There will be surely some greedy, crazy guys that will rush one into each other, somewhere else.
He can lose or win. Anyway, from that point on, one team is under 10 elements, and need to rush again, in inferiority,
You can't add elements, so until you're up to 10 fighters, you cannot lose.

Scenario: elsewhere, U3 Pippo rush alone against U11, the compact u11 throw him away. U3 is now 9 elements, losing. U3 need to rush and eliminate at least 1 element for EACH opponent team to only get square. That mean u3 need to defeat 7 other fighters, and one for each opponent team to get square with ONE of their losses. Hard chance to do so. You're already 9 vs 10 against everyone. So you lose other elements.

This happen very quickly, just have your first fighter go down and the decline is guaranteed.

In the end, even if you defeated all other teams members and you end alone, you have to defeat the entire conservative team of 10 elements, all on your own, in what time is left.

So, those are in the end very interesting rules, but doing the math, the concept is totally wrong.
Defeating a fighter grant 1 point to that individual. You also collect the points collected by that opponent.
Toppo defeat a fighter: 1 point.
Hit defeat Toppo: 1 point +Toppo pool (1)= Hit have 2 points.
Hit defeat Bergam (5 points collected so far): 1+2+5=8 points.
Goku defeat Hit: 1+8+Goku pool.

That's the way you can come with the stronger team.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:50 pm

Wait... I thought flight would only be nulified should they fly outside the arena's boundaries, but inside they're free to do so. The Daishinkan said that it wouldn't be permitted in the world of void, but judging from the image it appeared that the world of void is outside the arena... I'm probably wrong though.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:19 am

A bit of tactical bullshit pissery.

I have three tactics that might just make the battle unpredictable, if not destroy all its fun.

- Buu, releases the chocolate technique in all the opponents, surprise surprise.
- Buu, chocolates his 9 team mates instead. It's a win-win situation. Mates are safe on its belly, Buu is strong af.
- Hit chills on his dimension, probably with his team mates (somehow), invites Gowasu for tea.

Rubens wrote:Wait... I thought flight would only be nulified should they fly outside the arena's boundaries, but inside they're free to do so. The Daishinkan said that it wouldn't be permitted in the world of void, but judging from the image it appeared that the world of void is outside the arena... I'm probably wrong though.
Even the Grand Priest's visuals show the flight above the platform, it puts an X on it just as it hovers above the void. This needs to be clarified.
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:36 am

Kishido wrote:As I said... Hit is nerfed again with no killing
i don't think so. in hit's case, this only serves to balance the scales. since he can simply stop time and throw everyone off the arena.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:13 pm

Pluto wrote:- Buu, chocolates his 9 team mates instead. It's a win-win situation. Mates are safe on its belly, Buu is strong af.
Leaving aside the fact the likes of Goku and Vegeta would never agree with actions like this, that would be a terrible idea, as Buu isn't exactly reliable, and knocking him out the arena would be enough for an instant U7 loss.
Besides, i think such kind of strategies carry a strong risk of Zen-oh finding them "not amusing". I won't be surprised if the story covers that, with Zen-oh interfering in the fights to stop a group from doing so.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:03 pm

Pluto wrote:A bit of tactical bullshit pissery.

I have three tactics that might just make the battle unpredictable, if not destroy all its fun.

- Buu, releases the chocolate technique in all the opponents, surprise surprise.
- Buu, chocolates his 9 team mates instead. It's a win-win situation. Mates are safe on its belly, Buu is strong af.
- Hit chills on his dimension, probably with his team mates (somehow), invites Gowasu for tea.

Rubens wrote:Wait... I thought flight would only be nulified should they fly outside the arena's boundaries, but inside they're free to do so. The Daishinkan said that it wouldn't be permitted in the world of void, but judging from the image it appeared that the world of void is outside the arena... I'm probably wrong though.
Even the Grand Priest's visuals show the flight above the platform, it puts an X on it just as it hovers above the void. This needs to be clarified.
actually now that i think about it, the grand priest stated that the world of the void is a place without time or space. if those subs were correct, then hit shouldn't be able to use those powers in that place. even if he could, time outside would pretty much be frozen to him, so he could stay there eternity and the tournament would still be going on.

but if you think about it further, if it really is a place without space or time, then no one should be able to go there to begin with, and there shouldn't be a time limit for the tournament. i guess it's more for plot convenience, but maybe hit won't be able to use those powers.

Kassavo

Post by Kassavo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:48 pm

I think the most intriguing rule of this tournament is the no flight thing. We are going to see grounded fighting, the likes which has not been seen since pre-teen goku Dragonball, which allows for more focus on martial arts, and actual techniques, rather than "let's fly and throw as many blows at each other as fast as we can".
Strive to be the best you possible. Work hard to surpass your limits and make improvements that will better your chances of success in life. Always seek new challenges no matter how tough of an opponent stands before you. This is the philosophy which all Gokuists live by. #Gokuism #Gokuist www.ayomrnelson.com

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:29 pm

Kassavo wrote:I think the most intriguing rule of this tournament is the no flight thing. We are going to see grounded fighting, the likes which has not been seen since pre-teen goku Dragonball, which allows for more focus on martial arts, and actual techniques, rather than "let's fly and throw as many blows at each other as fast as we can".
Goku and that guy in the opening seemed to be fighting while in flight, so that rule confuses me.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:40 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Kassavo wrote:I think the most intriguing rule of this tournament is the no flight thing. We are going to see grounded fighting, the likes which has not been seen since pre-teen goku Dragonball, which allows for more focus on martial arts, and actual techniques, rather than "let's fly and throw as many blows at each other as fast as we can".
Goku and that guy in the opening seemed to be fighting while in flight, so that rule confuses me.
It's no flying in the out of bounds void area, not within the bounds of the platform.

Kassavo

Post by Kassavo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:07 pm

Simere wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
It's no flying in the out of bounds void area, not within the bounds of the platform.

Are you certain of that? I watched episode 81 again last night and it really seems like he says no flight is allowed in any capacity. It does not make sense that flight would be allowed in the combat arena; what if someone is hit out of the combat area while they are flying in the air? Would they have to stop actively flying, or would their bodies just not be able to fly? imo that would just unnecessarily complicate things.

Or I could just be plain wrong lol
Strive to be the best you possible. Work hard to surpass your limits and make improvements that will better your chances of success in life. Always seek new challenges no matter how tough of an opponent stands before you. This is the philosophy which all Gokuists live by. #Gokuism #Gokuist www.ayomrnelson.com

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Kassavo wrote:
Simere wrote:
omaro34 wrote:

Are you certain of that? I watched episode 81 again last night and it really seems like he says no flight is allowed in any capacity. It does not make sense that flight would be allowed in the combat arena; what if someone is hit out of the combat area while they are flying in the air? Would they have to stop actively flying, or would their bodies just not be able to fly? imo that would just unnecessarily complicate things.

Or I could just be plain wrong lol
I'm not 100% certain, but the visual depiction of the rule shows Goku flying until he reaches the void, and then he plummets. It makes sense because they want to have out of bounds eliminations, and if people were allowed to fly that would never happen.

So, the void is its own dimension with its own rules, and the platform stage is a pocket dimension created within it that follows the normal rules. Instantaneous rule change when crossing the bounds.