What is more satisfying?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

What is more satisfying?

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:08 am

Being good or evil in the Dragon World?

Gog
I Live Here

Re: What is more satisfying?

Post by Gog » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:10 am

Being good, because if your evil in Dragon Ball you're eventually going to be killed and go to hell;

This hell.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Honestly there is no benefits to being evil in dragon ball.

SkuLLR3D

Post by SkuLLR3D » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:46 pm

You can do whatever you want end still end up "good" in king yemmas eyes. Like Goku. Goku never really WANTED to be a hero. He had his own reasons for doing everything he did, but was deemed "good".
That's until he meets the pride troopers. They think he's evil.

In short, I believe it's highly subjective (for the most part). Some are clearly evil and some are clearly good, but those are just two measurements of the same thing. Two varying degrees of behavior.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Being evil is easier but being good is more enjoyable in the long-run.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:47 pm

Evil characters always have to work so hard just to see their efforts dismantled by the good guys

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Considering that the evil guys always get killed, and the good guys get to observe or participate in crazy adventures with only slight risk of death (which is followed by eternal paradise or resurrection anyway), I'd say being good is probably better.
Retired.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:19 am

Good is better, neutral is best.
Both get to be resurrected by Shenron when x villain wipes out x city/village/planet, Shenron doesn't resurrect evil people nor does Porunga.
Though good guys usually fight evil ones while the neutrals don't give a fuck and live longer.
That's why neutral > good > evil
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:39 pm

SkuLLR3D wrote:You can do whatever you want end still end up "good" in king yemmas eyes. Like Goku. Goku never really WANTED to be a hero. He had his own reasons for doing everything he did, but was deemed "good".

In short, I believe it's highly subjective (for the most part). Some are clearly evil and some are clearly good, but those are just two measurements of the same thing. Two varying degrees of behavior.
Ugh. I'm so sick of people saying this.

Why did he save Bulma, Turtle, Lunch, Snow, Eight, the Jingle Village leader, and Upa? Because he's a sociopathic amoral battle addict?

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:50 am

Good, otherwise you're going to cross paths with Goku and co and you're in for a bad time.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:57 am

Gog wrote:Being good, because if your evil in Dragon Ball you're eventually going to be killed and go to hell;

This hell.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Honestly there is no benefits to being evil in dragon ball.
...And yet Vegeta thought the opposite was true for a very long time.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:47 pm

I'd say just abstaining from conflicts is the most satisfying. If you get your ass kicked, everyone laughs at you, and if you win, you don't get any credit because Mr Satan comes and steals it away from you and you aren't allowed to Kamehameha up his ass because he's Gohan's father-in-law now.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

SkuLLR3D

Post by SkuLLR3D » Tue May 02, 2017 1:53 am

nickzambuto wrote:
SkuLLR3D wrote:You can do whatever you want end still end up "good" in king yemmas eyes. Like Goku. Goku never really WANTED to be a hero. He had his own reasons for doing everything he did, but was deemed "good".

Why did he save Bulma, Turtle, Lunch, Snow, Eight, the Jingle Village leader, and Upa? Because he's a sociopathic amoral battle addict?
Yes. He admits to being addicted to battle, but he also admits to not being able to stand when innocent lives get caught in the crossfire.

Easy to classify that as "good".

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:28 am

SkuLLR3D wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:

Yes. He admits to being addicted to battle, but he also admits to not being able to stand when innocent lives get caught in the crossfire.

Which totally contradicts his actions during the Android arc, where he refused Bulma's request to find Dr Gero's lab, and chose instead to fight the monsters that killed his friends in the future timeline, not really caring that he'd put the lives of everyone on Earth in danger. Sure, he expressed concern for innocent lives later, when fighting 19 and 20, and requested they move the fight out of the city, but that doesn't make up for his earlier decision.

Goku is a good guy, if a bit naive and selfish, but when faced with the choice of being responsible at the cost of having a good fight, or being irresponsible so as to have a good fight, Goku will more often than not choose the latter option.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue May 02, 2017 1:25 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:...where he refused Bulma's request to find Dr Gero's lab, and chose instead to fight the monsters that killed his friends in the future timeline
I'm sorry, can we put this nonsense to rest? Yeah, Goku wanted a challenge, and he (irrationally) thought he could live up to this particular one. Even if you leave that up to the least charitable interpretation, Vegeta's the one who actually objected to Bulma's plan, and Goku, Tenshinhan, and Kuririn all agreed. Does that make Kuririn and Tenshinhan evil, too? Where do you draw the line between poor characterization, poor judgement on the characters' part, and sheer malice.
Retired.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Tue May 02, 2017 5:22 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:
SkuLLR3D wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: Ugh. I'm so sick of people saying this.

Which totally contradicts his actions during the Android arc, where he refused Bulma's request to find Dr Gero's lab, and chose instead to fight the monsters that killed his friends in the future timeline, not really caring that he'd put the lives of everyone on Earth in danger. Sure, he expressed concern for innocent lives later, when fighting 19 and 20, and requested they move the fight out of the city, but that doesn't make up for his earlier decision.

Goku is a good guy, if a bit naive and selfish, but when faced with the choice of being responsible at the cost of having a good fight, or being irresponsible so as to have a good fight, Goku will more often than not choose the latter option.
Selfish isn't the word to describe that. Foolish and reckless and even arrogant all apply to Goku, but selfish would imply he doesn't care if innocent people are killed. He does care, and a lot at that. He just wasn't thinking about that because Goku lacks big picture thinking skills. Can we really call him selfish for this decision when he didn't really even grasp the concept that he was endangering lives? He's like an animal, we can't blame him. But when he does occasionally understand the severity of situations, he's never hesitated to risk his very life. That would include opportunities to fight.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Be a good kind of selfish IE obsessively pursue your own goals but don't do it to the detriment of everybody else and you'll do fine. Being good in a more heroic sense, obsessively evil or just plain evil is gonna get you fucked over.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:49 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
TheGodfather93 wrote:...where he refused Bulma's request to find Dr Gero's lab, and chose instead to fight the monsters that killed his friends in the future timeline
I'm sorry, can we put this nonsense to rest? Yeah, Goku wanted a challenge, and he (irrationally) thought he could live up to this particular one. Even if you leave that up to the least charitable interpretation, Vegeta's the one who actually objected to Bulma's plan, and Goku, Tenshinhan, and Kuririn all agreed. Does that make Kuririn and Tenshinhan evil, too? Where do you draw the line between poor characterization, poor judgement on the characters' part, and sheer malice.
Vegeta was a still a douchebag at that point in the story, so his behaviour wasn't surprising. Goku, however, who's supposed to be one of the 'good guys', never objected to Vegeta's demands, but instead agreed with him in wanting to fight the androids. Even if Vegeta threatened everyone there, Goku could've easily taken him down should the need have arisen, as he was by far the strongest Z Warrior at the time. But he didn't.

Also, nowhere did I claim that Goku, Krillin, Tenshinhan and Piccolo were evil or malicious. They were simply far too reckless, prideful and perhaps even overconfident. And at no point did I state that Goku was the most responsible, I only singled him out as he was the topic of conversation. The others were equally to blame, although some might say that Goku, as the de facto leader of the group, had to shoulder slightly more blame than the others. Ultimately though, I mainly chalk this down to poor writing, which the Android arc has quite a lot of, despite all its epic moments. I get that this needed to happen for the story to progress, but it doesn't make it any less stupid.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Wed May 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Being a God of Destruction, then you can practically be evil with impunity. Evil as in genocidal, at the very least.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed May 03, 2017 1:28 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
TheGodfather93 wrote:
SkuLLR3D wrote:

Selfish isn't the word to describe that. Foolish and reckless and even arrogant all apply to Goku, but selfish would imply he doesn't care if innocent people are killed. He does care, and a lot at that. He just wasn't thinking about that because Goku lacks big picture thinking skills. Can we really call him selfish for this decision when he didn't really even grasp the concept that he was endangering lives? He's like an animal, we can't blame him. But when he does occasionally understand the severity of situations, he's never hesitated to risk his very life. That would include opportunities to fight.
Its also wrong to punish someone for a crime they have yet to commit. Once the timeline split it was entirely possible the Androids would never have shown up, Gero could have, in theory, changed his mind or gone another route. Time travel is weird.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Wed May 03, 2017 3:52 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:
TheGodfather93 wrote: Which totally contradicts his actions during the Android arc, where he refused Bulma's request to find Dr Gero's lab, and chose instead to fight the monsters that killed his friends in the future timeline, not really caring that he'd put the lives of everyone on Earth in danger. Sure, he expressed concern for innocent lives later, when fighting 19 and 20, and requested they move the fight out of the city, but that doesn't make up for his earlier decision.

Its also wrong to punish someone for a crime they have yet to commit. Once the timeline split it was entirely possible the Androids would never have shown up, Gero could have, in theory, changed his mind or gone another route. Time travel is weird.
People seem to judge Goku based off their own moral standards rather than anything open minded. Blazing in and vaporzing Gero before he actually did anything like the fuzzing Punisher is not what I would call heroic. Goku's morality is pure and more Superman-like.