Why does "my boy" Boo keep getting screwed?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Why does "my boy" Boo keep getting screwed?

Post by precita » Sun May 07, 2017 11:26 pm

I cannot fathom how they think this is a good idea. Boo is constantly hyped up for fights in both official promotional material, summaries, plots, openings/endings etc...only for them to keep going back on it and having him fall asleep and be benched.

Boo sitting out of Return of F was one thing. I can understand how using Boo there might be too much given it was just a movie and would take away from Freeza. But then they hype him up for the Champa tournament only to not use him. The promotional material even shows him fighting Botamo which never happened in the series!

Then Boo is hyped up for what is like 6-7 months for the new Universe Survival arc, and besides the exhibition match he's sitting out again because he "falls asleep." How on earth do they think this is a good thing? Especially with getting people's hopes up to see Boo fight only to turn back on it? Not to mention Boo is such a funny and unique fighter that they can do so many different things with over the other characters, yet he's still passed up.

This has pissed me off during Super a lot, even more than Trunks/Goten not doing anything or Yamcha being excluded. Why the hell is my boy Boo being screwed?

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why does "my boy" Boo keep getting screwed?

Post by MasterVampire » Sun May 07, 2017 11:33 pm

They probably took him out because as it showed in the exhibition match his near invulnerability makes him over powered I reckon.

But its still BULLSHIT and I am PISSED

They did the same thing with the U6 Tournament which fans didn't like and now they do the same thing AGAIN ?

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun May 07, 2017 11:34 pm

The problem with my boy Buu is that he doesn't have a bang. So it's hard to take him seriously.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun May 07, 2017 11:39 pm

Because someone at Shueisha likes Freeza more. He's their Melvintooz.

I'm also sad about Buu losing out. Buu's got so much more to offer animation-wise.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun May 07, 2017 11:45 pm

Now Buu fans know how Yamcha fans feel. It's all downhill from here I'm afraid.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun May 07, 2017 11:49 pm

I expected this thread to be a parody word-swap of a Gohan copy-pasta. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed.

I love Boo more than most, but I'm so excited at the prospect of Freeza being forced to work with the group.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun May 07, 2017 11:55 pm

batistabus wrote:I love Boo more than most, but I'm so excited at the prospect of Freeza being forced to work with the group.
This is basically where I land. It's a shame no one seems more comfortable about bringing Boo into storylines, and there are at least two other characters I think we could have comfortably lost in his place. However, my excitement over the re-introduction of Freeza overwhelmingly outweighs my disappointment/confusion over sidelining Boo twice in a row. I suppose it helps that when I think of the way he sits out the Universe 6 arc, I also think of the much more deftly handled take that scene gets in the manga.
Boo Machine wrote:The problem with my boy Buu is that he doesn't have a bang. So it's hard to take him seriously.
That's a good point.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 08, 2017 12:24 am

Weird thing is I thought Toriyama liked Buu? What other reason did he have the Fat Buu return in late DBZ when he didn't have to do that? Before the transformation to Kid Buu it could have happened without Fat Buu being brought back.

It just makes me sick. Now it seems like there's no reason to justify Buu's existence. His fighting abilities are also way above everyone elses and makes for some fun fights. I honestly don't know if I can keep watching Super if they're going to keep crapping over my favorite characters like Buu and co.

I guess we can add Buu over to the list of "royally screwed over characters by Super" like Yamcha, and kid Trunks/Goten.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 am

I can't believe they just randomly uninvite Buu after he trained so hard. Now that he'll probably gain all that weight back too, it was just a big waste of time. Even if this would be interesting to see Freeza work with those he couldn't hate anymore, introducing this concept like this is where it is weighed down by the aggravating over-use of his character and the clones that come in between his off-screen life. I mean they literally compromise better storytelling just for this one potential gag? I mean this sounds like it could have just been a Xenoverse thing. Because Buu basically trained for nothing, and was featured in the intro for nothing. Its just the worst the writing has gotten to yet. At least bringing Cell back for this one event would have been more interesting than this. But hell, if they are going to other realms for recruits, what the hell is their excuse to not use Pikkon? Why do we really need Freeza again?

I just hope he and Frost meet and team up or something. That would probably make this worthwhile, but still wouldn't justify the bad writing leading up to it.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

DBS916
Regular

Post by DBS916 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:20 am

I guess they took out Buu because he's too powerful, and the rival teams will have weaker members. Possibly why Roshi and others are members of Team Universe 7 this time. To be honest with you guys I wish they didn't showcase Buu like this. I can understand Buu can be childlike, but not randomly passing out when it's time to throw down in the ring!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 08, 2017 2:11 am

I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it. What a goddamn waste of a character. Buu's fight in the exhibition rounds was the best of those 4 fights too.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Mon May 08, 2017 2:54 am

So mad...
For real now Buu is freaking awesome.

I bet Goku will spot Cell and Dabura in hell and brig them along showing he finger to Tien and Rossi

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon May 08, 2017 3:34 am

Kishido wrote:I bet Goku will spot Cell and Dabura in hell and brig them along showing he finger to Tien and Rossi
You have the best ideas.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon May 08, 2017 3:46 am

Chuquita wrote:Because someone at Shueisha likes Freeza more. He's their Melvintooz.

I'm also sad about Buu losing out. Buu's got so much more to offer animation-wise.
His name Toriyama since he's the one who brought him back. If it was up to Shueisha, Freeza would be still be the butt monkey like he was in anime fill, the movies, and GT.
Kishido wrote:So mad...
For real now Buu is freaking awesome.

I bet Goku will spot Cell and Dabura in hell and brig them along showing he finger to Tien and Rossi
Dabura is in heaven.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 08, 2017 4:12 am

HeroR wrote:
Dabura is in heaven.
Wasn't that an anime only filler scene?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon May 08, 2017 4:45 am

precita wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Dabura is in heaven.
Wasn't that an anime only filler scene?
Dabura going to heaven is in the manga. The anime filler was seeing him in heaven.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 08, 2017 12:12 pm

Toriyama sees Majin Boo as a gag character. Nothing more, nothing less. He ultimately has no serious plans for the character other than setting up a joke that has the execution of a loud, wet fart.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon May 08, 2017 12:48 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Toriyama sees Majin Boo as a gag character. Nothing more, nothing less. He ultimately has no serious plans for the character other than setting up a joke that has the execution of a loud, wet fart.
Seems likely.
Buu has been getting shafted since BoG in favor of Freeza wank by virtue of Toriyama.
Freeza is the one, whom Beerus knows all about and even after all this time Goku couldn't surpass without Super Saiyan, instead of the guy who killed off 4 of the Kaioshin and came close to completely screwing over the cosmic balance of Universe 7.

In fact after 89 episodes, Buu's terror upon Universe 7 has not been acknowledged at all by any of the gods(except a quick conversation between Shin and Zamas & Gowas in the manga) other than the ones who were already there in Z.
Then he gets benched in RoF, falls asleep/fails the test in the U6 arc, and now this.
Freeza on the other hand gets a personal connection to Beerus, gets his own arc and movie, gets a reference in the U6 arc by virtue of his counterpart from U7's twin universe and now gets to come back again, in place of the original(chronologically) universal menace.
Only one conclusion:
He has good PR!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 08, 2017 1:00 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Toriyama sees Majin Boo as a gag character. Nothing more, nothing less. He ultimately has no serious plans for the character other than setting up a joke that has the execution of a loud, wet fart.
Seems likely.
Buu has been getting shafted since BoG in favor of Freeza wank by virtue of Toriyama.
Freeza is the one, whom Beerus knows all about and even after all this time Goku couldn't surpass without Super Saiyan, instead of the guy who killed off 4 of the Kaioshin and came close to completely screwing over the cosmic balance of Universe 7.

In fact after 89 episodes, Buu's terror upon Universe 7 has not been acknowledged at all by any of the gods(except a quick conversation between Shin and Zamas & Gowas in the manga) other than the ones who were already there in Z.
Then he gets benched in RoF, falls asleep/fails the test in the U6 arc, and now this.
Freeza on the other hand gets a personal connection to Beerus, gets his own arc and movie, gets a reference in the U6 arc by virtue of his counterpart from U7's twin universe and now gets to come back again, in place of the original(chronologically) universal menace.
Only one conclusion:
He has good PR!
Freeza has the best agent in the business:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 08, 2017 1:25 pm

It's frustrating to think Cell's being held back only by his spots being difficult to animate.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!