What's everyone's thoughts on *SPOILER* ​coming back?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What's everyone's thoughts on *SPOILER* ​coming back?

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Fri May 12, 2017 10:14 am

kidhero1000 wrote:
Super_Divine_Genki wrote:IF the Freeza thing is seriously going to be a card that is pulled to spice things up, then I'll accept it for what it is -- because what else can we do? Drop the series?
To qoute Obummer: "Yes, we can."
But... we're coming up on 90 episodes into the series. After all of the nonsensical things that have happened on this show, it's Freeza returning that may have someone consider dropping out...? That's over-reacting, imo.

I'm not on-board with it either because it's not doing much for me, but as can be seen in this thread, there are many that would rather Freeza replace Boo. Freeza is popular. I think that with Super, it's best to just roll along with whatever happens. I know that I've been. And it's a weekly 20-minute show -- surely it's not heavy to take in.

I'm still leaning toward a bait-and-switch scenario anyway.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri May 12, 2017 11:09 am

Bringing Black/Zamasu back would be , by far, the stupidest idea our heroes could have.

Despite all his evil, Frieza, and many other villains for that matter, would care about the fate of the universe. Why? Because they live in it and if it goes so do they. While Frieza cannot ever be trusted, if Goku can offer him soemthing that will make Frieza care...say being fully resurrected, he'll fight for his self preservation.

Black/Zamasu on the other hand wants to destroy all mortal life and the gods who do not share his view. He'd be laughing his ass off is they asked him to help save any universe because really Zen-Oh is doing a lot of work for him. 8 universes full of mortals destroyed...thats a dream come to true as far as he's concerned.

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Fri May 12, 2017 11:15 am

Honestly, as long as it's good, I'm up for any idea. It's the execution that matters most, in my opinion.
"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

RIP_Power_Levels

Post by RIP_Power_Levels » Fri May 12, 2017 5:21 pm

While I would have preferred for Buu to remain the tournament, since we’ve seen so little of his fighting and the potential his character can bring to fight scenes and the story. Also, at first I was with most users on this forum thinking that Frieza’s character is run dry, and he can no longer bring anything new to the table. However, I realized Frieza can still contribute something to the story.

Most characters in Dragon Ball Super so far believe that years ago, Frieza destroyed Planet Vegeta out of fear of the legendary Super Saiyan, acting completely of his own will. However, it was revealed in the Ressurection of F arc that Frieza was actually under the orders of Beerus, who was annoyed with the Saiyans after King Vegeta kept the best pillow in the universe for himself and gave Beerus the second best. Before going back to sleep, Beerus ordered Frieza to destroy Planet Vegeta for him, and thus we have the set up for all of Dragon Ball onward.

For such a significant revelation, this has only been addressed once in the anime as far as I remember. To me, this has to mean that this point may serve a big purpose in the future, as the characters we know and love suddenly learn the true reason for why there lives were so irrevocably altered...Beerus was responsible all along. If it hadn’t been for planet Vegeta’s destruction, Goku may have grown up as a regular Saiyan boy who would have never encountered Earth at all. Vegeta may have become king of his people one day. No Earthlings would have ever known unimaginably powerful beings such as Saiyans, Cell, Majin Buu, and literal gods had even existed, if Goku had never been sent to Earth in the first place. If Beerus hadn’t ordered Planet Vegeta’s destruction, everyone’s lives would be vastly different.

I think that the reveal of Beerus’s role in planet Vegeta’s destruction is a small hint for a huge future plot point in the show. A point in which Goku and the gang finally learn the true reason for planet Vegeta’s destruction. A reminder to the audience of something they knew all along but forgot about. Beerus and Whis have made it clear they want to keep the truth from everyone, but Frieza hasn’t. I think his return means that he will tell everyone why he really destroyed planet Vegeta. We can guess how Goku and Vegeta would react to this. Their lives were most directly affected by planet Vegeta’s destruction. They may seek revenge against Beerus for his role in destroying their home. A new arc may be made out of this. For this reason only, I’m hyped for Frieza’s return.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 12, 2017 6:51 pm

I think the people hyped for this are going to be let down considerably. I don't trust the current writers to handle Freeza well enough, as well as Goku and everyones reaction to him, without it being bad or poor writing.

And as said, what happens when the tournament ends? You think Freeza is going to willingly go back to his cocoon in Hell for all eternity? Of course not! So either he's going to go rogue and become the main villain again or due some shitty "redemption arc" which is also awful. Of course Beerus could just erase him, but I don't think they'd do that.

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Fri May 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Freeza wanted to destroy the planet on his own, Beerus or no. I think that Vegeta does not care about planet Vegeta (Goku even worse), but only that Frieza used him. Even if he cares, Vegeta can't do anything against Beerus and Whis.

Frieza is back just for....fanservice. Also, the tournament is more interesting with him.
Beerus and Whis have made it clear they want to keep the truth from everyone, but Frieza hasn’t.
In the movie. In super, Beerus does not care.
You think Freeza is going to willingly go back to his cocoon in Hell for all eternity? Of course not!
Nah, after 24 hours, he will come back to hell.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:25 am

Hypothetically, assuming that Freeza is only going to be alive for a day, and if joins the tournament and Universe 6 wins...

Goku: You know, I don't have any problems with that wish. I mean I asked for something similar when I was fightin' Boo. Go ahead!
Freeza: Dragon, I don't want to return to the Land of Cavities when my time here ends! Make me get reincarnated immediately into a being that will take on Goku and Vegeta and actually give them a run for their money!
Dragon: As you wish!
Freeza: (Laughs manically as he fades from existence) (A few years later, he appears as Baby)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat May 13, 2017 7:21 am

For all those who though Frieza coming back would be a bate and switch....yeah no.

https://twitter.com/Terez27/status/863346787096121344

He's back for real.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat May 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:For all those who though Frieza coming back would be a bate and switch....yeah no.

He's back for real.
:|

If they're building up to a redemption arc for Freeza, I'm going to be pretty annoyed.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat May 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Depending on how they handle Freeza, this will be the last straw that breaks the camels back for some people. As someone who really enjoyed Super so far and don't mind stuff like Trunks getting random power ups, this is very jarring. Bringing Freeza back again so soon, making him work with the heroes, Goku no longer hating Freeza and acting chummy with him, this is all jump the shark material.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong and this turns out well, but I do not trust these writers. This feels like a videogame storyline, not something for the main canon series.

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Super_Divine_Genki wrote:
kidhero1000 wrote:
Super_Divine_Genki wrote:IF the Freeza thing is seriously going to be a card that is pulled to spice things up, then I'll accept it for what it is -- because what else can we do? Drop the series?
To qoute Obummer: "Yes, we can."
But... we're coming up on 90 episodes into the series. After all of the nonsensical things that have happened on this show, it's Freeza returning that may have someone consider dropping out...? That's over-reacting, imo.

Some people have a higher tolerance for bullshit than others. For some, Buu being booted from another tourney was just too much to bear. it's to be expected. I'll be watching this arc closely to see how the Freeza dynamic plays out in the tourney. I Don't like that they brought the character back yet again, but if they give us some worthwhile character development, interactions, etc, I'll be willing to admit his return was worth it. :think: Though I have my doubts about that.
Doctor. wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Yes, and then Black powered-up, got his scythe and had Goku and Vegeta surrounded; watch episode 64 again.
I forgot that was after Vegeta beat up Black, but Goku only used his full power against fused Zamasu, and the manga version had Black losing to Vegeta. Not to mention Goku and Vegeta have been training for this tournament and I never said Black wouldn't be the strongest, or st least one of the strongest there, I said he wouldn't win. I don't see him soloing Universe 11, and Hit could arguably kill him. Plus he wouldn't be able to take Goku, Vegeta, and Frieza at the same time.
I don't see why you keep bringing up the manga when we're talking about the anime and they're two different continuities.

Regardless of whether or not Goku and Vegeta ended up as stronger than Black, Black has a much higher potential and can increase in strength during battle much faster than those two can.
Well, Black Goku did have the advantage of being a Goku whose body was stolen 1 year further from the current timeline. Most likely after the whole Post Universe Survival Arc experience, and whatever power up Goku got from participating.
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:39 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:For all those who though Frieza coming back would be a bate and switch....yeah no.

He's back for real.
:|

If they're building up to a redemption arc for Freeza, I'm going to be pretty annoyed.
...but I want that...

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sat May 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Well, that's disappointing to hear, it's not bad enough for me to drop the show, but it's still pretty dumb. I'm definitely in the camp of hoping they don't try to redeem him. I know dragon ball has a history of turning villains into good guys, but Freeza is going just a tad overboard in my opinion. Here's hoping that him returning won't be as bad as I'm thinking it will.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat May 13, 2017 9:07 pm

I guess it make ROF arc have a purpouse now. I'm sick of Freeza but if it's done well at least his comeback happens in a different context this time. Defintely do not want any redemption twist or having him join the cast permanently, this would be ridiculous. Piccolo Jr. and Vegeta "changed" shortly after appearing in the series. Freeza's been space Hitler for decades

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat May 13, 2017 9:16 pm

There are two approaches to "what happens next" with Freeza that I'd be completely okay with. I should say up front that I'm not on board with a full-blown redemption arc; I can't imagine that occurring in any way this story line that doesn't seem ridiculous (even for Dragon Ball):

1) Freeza continues his streak of being the only rival/antagonist Goku could never reform, and does something to get himself shunted back to Hell by the end of the tournament.

2) We get a more ambiguous ending of Freeza being allowed to live, and finally going off somewhere to reflect quietly in the way Goku asked him to on Namek. Not a full-blown redemption, not a promise the universe is free of his threat, but a sort of initial spark a la Goku giving Piccolo a Senzu at the end of the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. Goku's dream is super huge and all that ... So there's the possibility that by the time of the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, Goku might have started to get through even to someone like Freeza, though we'll never know for sure.

3) I guess I could also see the promise of simply being moved to a better afterlife/getting quicker reincarnation? And thus ends the story of Freeza without him totally betraying everyone or being even possibly redeemed? I find this prospect a bit boring.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Cipher wrote:There are two approaches to "what happens next" with Freeza that I'd be completely okay with. I should say up front that I'm not on board with a full-blown redemption arc; I can't imagine that occurring in any way this story line that doesn't seem ridiculous (even for Dragon Ball):

1) Freeza continues his streak of being the only rival/antagonist Goku could never reform, and does something to get himself shunted back to Hell by the end of the tournament.

2) We get a more ambiguous ending of Freeza being allowed to live, and finally going off somewhere to reflect quietly in the way Goku asked him to on Namek. Not a full-blown redemption, not a promise the universe is free of his threat, but a sort of initial spark a la Goku giving Piccolo a Senzu at the end of the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. Goku's dream is super huge and all that ... So there's the possibility that by the time of the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, Goku might have started to get through even to someone like Freeza, though we'll never know for sure.

3) I guess I could also see the promise of simply being moved to a better afterlife/getting quicker reincarnation? And thus ends the story of Freeza without him totally betraying everyone or being even possibly redeemed? I find this prospect a bit boring.
Or 4) he's permanently killed off for being an asshole.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat May 13, 2017 9:23 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Or 4) he's permanently killed off for being an asshole.
Or that. And actually, doing something to have his soul permanently erased would be a decent capstone to his role as an irredeemable character. Wasted his life, couldn't help but waste his afterlife.

Orb

Post by Orb » Sat May 13, 2017 9:34 pm

^^^ Going off from that point
How I would handle Freeza's departure:

Freeza initially joins because he wants to wish upon the Super Dragon Balls. Throughout the arc Beerus bullies Freeza into fighting, as seen in Resurrection F Freeza showed to be fearful of Beerus. He has always viewed Beerus as someone to avoid from the stories his father told him. However throughout the tournament Freeza gets some hits, maybe beats Frost. But near the end he is being labelled as a tyrant or a "monster" by the other fighters, maybe the Pride Troopers or even U7 Fighters. But this is when Freeza starts to talk back towards the Gods. He sees that Zeno rules above all and points out that everyone is being forced to kill each other in fear of universal destruction. He calls Zeno worse than himself because he is a child toying with lives others for a "game". At this point the Grand Priest tells Freeza to bow down and show respect to Zeno or be destroyed. Freeza no longer cares about the wining prize. His arrogance peaks up as he reveals that he once feared Gods like them (Beerus) but now he sees they are all cowards toward Zeno. In his last words he proclaims" I am Lord Freeza and I bow to no one!". The Grand Preist erases him for good.

But thats just a pipe dream. But I could see his 24 hour limit playing a factor especially , as the Buu arc shown with Goku, his Golden form could eat away his time.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun May 14, 2017 11:13 am

Judging by the nerfing of ssb and the boosts everyone else is getting, I hope you guys are ready for Freeza being a force in the tournament. At least with him it's realistic with him being a prodigy and all.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Sun May 14, 2017 11:37 am

I can see Freeza being obliterated by Zeno for some kind of transgression. Not sure if Toei&AK are ready to stop reviving the guy, though.