Something odd about the Afterlife saga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:12 pm

Actually, look at Toriyama's colored art of Goku. You'll see he always sorta had a slight tan. It was the anime that made him lighter toned.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:31 pm

Tsukento wrote:Actually, look at Toriyama's colored art of Goku. You'll see he always sorta had a slight tan. It was the anime that made him lighter toned.
I remember reading that it may have had to do with Toei or the studios having a smaller budget back then, when DBZ was produced. Maybe this translates into having a smaller range of colors.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:08 pm

That's cool, I knew that in the original animation cells he had gold hair, but I had no idea that there was an episode preview containing it.

I would think that the reason for changing his hair color to black was because prior to creating that scene, they decided to first give Goku a Super Saiyan appearence during his fight with Pikkon; for a more dramatic effect. Besides, chances are Pikkon saw Goku as a SS down there and they wanted it to be a suprise to the audience and Pikkon when he transforms in the tounament.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:14 am

Hero 004 wrote:That's cool, I knew that in the original animation cells he had gold hair, but I had no idea that there was an episode preview containing it.

I would think that the reason for changing his hair color to black was because prior to creating that scene, they decided to first give Goku a Super Saiyan appearence during his fight with Paikuhan; for a more dramatic effect. Besides, chances are Paikuhan saw Goku as a SS down there and they wanted it to be a suprise to the audience and Paikuhan when he transforms in the tounament.
Nah, you're looking too much into it. Toei's not that clever. Especially not when it comes to filler. Goku went Super Saiyan and they screwed up the coloring for the finished work.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:17 pm

Possibly. You never know.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku