"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by gohan_black » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:59 am

next episode is where db super really start. from the next episode and on I'm gonna start watching.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:15 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Man I forgot how awful #27 was. Awfully animated and the music killed Vegeta's moment. Transformation was good though only saving grace, other than that bleugh.

Thankfully the worst of Super is behind us!
I honestly think Episode 27 is handled the ending the of Resurrection F way better than the movie did.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:26 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Man I forgot how awful #27 was. Awfully animated and the music killed Vegeta's moment. Transformation was good though only saving grace, other than that bleugh.

I honestly think Episode 27 is handled the ending the of Resurrection F way better than the movie did.
I disagree the animation and atrocious art ruin everything and in the episode everything happens so abruptly, there is no build up to Freeza blowing the Earth it just happens like that and it ends up making Vegeta more of a fool here than the movie.

I just can't see the point of re-wathcing this arc ever again when the movie exists and looks consistent and is only 90 mins.

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:29 pm

Wait. I didn't even notice that Chris Ayres wasn't Frieza in this episode. Must have been a good impersonation for me to miss it. :lol:

Was Mills Frieza in the whole episode, or just part of it? I'll have to go back and rewatch the episode....

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:54 pm

I could have sworn that was Ayres as Freeza. If not then damn that's an awesome impression

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Nahh, that HAD to be Chris Ayres.. Its hard to believe someone can do such an accurate impression!!

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:29 pm

Once again the credits listed Frieza as both Chris Ayers and Daman Mills. I wonder what Mills did.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:00 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:

I disagree the animation and atrocious art ruin everything and in the episode everything happens so abruptly, there is no build up to Freeza blowing the Earth it just happens like that and it ends up making Vegeta more of a fool here than the movie.

I just can't see the point of re-wathcing this arc ever again when the movie exists and looks consistent and is only 90 mins.
I do think the majority of the episode was bad, but the ending beats the movie's for the sole reason that it doesn't just end abruptly right after the climax. We actually see them explain the whole thing to Vegeta, as well as some much needed aftermath.

That said, I also don't see myself watching the arc a third time. The movie, for all its faults, is at least good-looking and (mostly) well-paced.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:00 pm

Hit!! wrote:Nahh, that HAD to be Chris Ayres.. Its hard to believe someone can do such an accurate impression!!
Zenkai wrote:Wait. I didn't even notice that Chris Ayres wasn't Frieza in this episode. Must have been a good impersonation for me to miss it. :lol:

Was Mills Frieza in the whole episode, or just part of it? I'll have to go back and rewatch the episode....
It was Chris Ayres for the whole episode. If Mills was in it he must of done a tiny grunt or something not noticeable.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:08 pm

Man after rewatching these episodes dubbed, the animation thankfully starts getting better in the next episode.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:29 am

superfan2024 wrote:Once again the credits listed Frieza as both Chris Ayers and Daman Mills. I wonder what Mills did.
Everything sounded like Ayers to me. I don't remember hearing anything from Mills unless he is that good at doing an impersonation.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:13 am

I'm the opposite. I enjoyed the retelling of Resurrection 'F' and think the story is far superior to the movie. Crappy animation aside which was only really ugly for the Goku and Freeze fight, I don't mind watching the Resurrection 'F' Saga since I like what they did overall with the plot and expanding the movie. My only gripes (animation aside) is Ginyu and Tagoma getting such short scene time and I wished the Z-Fighters fought longer.

The dub added to it, especially Vegeta lampshaded that he's the butt monkey.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:46 am

I think that the content covered in Battle of Gods was better in the film stupid ki dragons, but the anime was a far superior rendition of Resurrection 'F'

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:13 am

shadowmaria wrote:I think that the content covered in Battle of Gods was better in the film stupid ki dragons, but the anime was a far superior rendition of Resurrection 'F'
I think Battle of Gods Saga was fine too, but was two to three episodes too long. I greatly prefer the Super's version of the Goku vs. Beerus fight. The movie version was lackluster until Goku lost Super Saiyan God.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:09 am

shadowmaria wrote:I think that the content covered in Battle of Gods was better in the film stupid ki dragons, but the anime was a far superior rendition of Resurrection 'F'
Here's something I've had just in general with this wording. They're both anime, so how come some people don't say "show" when they mean to say that?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:20 am

HeroR wrote:I'm the opposite. I enjoyed the retelling of Resurrection 'F' and think the story is far superior to the movie. Crappy animation aside which was only really ugly for the Goku and Freeze fight, I don't mind watching the Resurrection 'F' Saga since I like what they did overall with the plot and expanding the movie. My only gripes (animation aside) is Ginyu and Tagoma getting such short scene time and I wished the Z-Fighters fought longer.

I think the RoF arc gets more hate than it deserves. If they go back and fix the Goku vs Frieza fight's art/animation in a few spots it wouldn't be bad at all. The filler episodes before Frieza was revived were pretty good, ep 19 and 20 were exactly like the movie, ep 21 was ok but the movie did the Frieza soldier fight better, ep 22 was good and I really liked the Gohan torture scene and the Piccolo sacrifice, ep 23 was kind of dragged out but I liked Frieza's transformation, the Goku vs Frieza fight was definitely better in the movie, but the Super version had better and more dialog (I liked the god monkey part), and ep 27 was pretty much the ending of the movie, which I have about equal since the movie looked better but Super had an extended beat down and I really liked how it showed everyone as the planet blew up.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:02 am

dragon boss z wrote:
HeroR wrote:I'm the opposite. I enjoyed the retelling of Resurrection 'F' and think the story is far superior to the movie. Crappy animation aside which was only really ugly for the Goku and Freeze fight, I don't mind watching the Resurrection 'F' Saga since I like what they did overall with the plot and expanding the movie. My only gripes (animation aside) is Ginyu and Tagoma getting such short scene time and I wished the Z-Fighters fought longer.

I think the RoF arc gets more hate than it deserves. If they go back and fix the Goku vs Frieza fight's art/animation in a few spots it wouldn't be bad at all. The filler episodes before Frieza was revived were pretty good, ep 19 and 20 were exactly like the movie, ep 21 was ok but the movie did the Frieza soldier fight better, ep 22 was good and I really liked the Gohan torture scene and the Piccolo sacrifice, ep 23 was kind of dragged out but I liked Frieza's transformation, the Goku vs Frieza fight was definitely better in the movie, but the Super version had better and more dialog (I liked the god monkey part), and ep 27 was pretty much the ending of the movie, which I have about equal since the movie looked better but Super had an extended beat down and I really liked how it showed everyone as the planet blew up.
In a perfect would, Resurrection 'F' would be a combination of the movie and the retelling. Namely, the movie's animation and fight sequences combined with the story of the retelling with the Tagoma and Ginyu stuff being properly expanded.
Kanassa wrote:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:08 am

HeroR wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:

In a perfect would, Resurrection 'F' would be a combination of the movie and the retelling. Namely, the movie's animation and fight sequences combined with the story of the retelling with the Tagoma and Ginyu stuff being properly expanded.
There is always the Super cut, which should hopefully now have the dub track as an option.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:16 am

Didn't want to make a thread just dedicated to this so I figured I'd post it here. This is pretty neat to us Aussie (and possibly New Zealand) fans of Dragon Ball. JB Hi-Fi have this exclusive version of the Part 1 release of Dragon Ball Super. It looks like it has a slip cover with artwork that's not on the standard release. I'll probably be getting this copy rather than what's being shown off on Madman's website.

Cover:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Did the U.S. release have something similar to this?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:17 am

The bridging episodes are great and can be watched prior to the movie no problem and they're technically classed under the BoG arc... But anyway for me narrative doesn't matter unless the animation, art etc is backing it up. I'll buy part two to support both sets of voice actors especially for Ayres but can't see myself ever watching past the bridging episodes.

But I'm glad there are people who did like/enjoy the arc and more power to you!