"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:21 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The bridging episodes are great and can be watched prior to the movie no problem and they're technically classed under the BoG arc... But anyway for me narrative doesn't matter unless the animation, art etc is backing it up. I'll buy part two to support both sets of voice actors especially for Ayres but can't see myself ever watching past the bridging episodes.

But I'm glad there are people who did like/enjoy the arc and more power to you!
That's fair. I just always put a good story over art. To me, good art is a bonus and it means nothing if I am not interested in what is going on. That is how I can enjoy Fist of the North Star with its stiff as a board animation.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:31 am

Finally into the newer material. The only thing I am not look forward to is that recap episode and the Goku vs Botamo fight.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:53 am

Boo Machine wrote:Finally into the newer material. The only thing I am not look forward to is that recap episode and the Goku vs Botamo fight.
Aren't they going to do that crap copy Vegeta stuff first? Or was that between Battle of Gods and RoF?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:07 am

omaro34 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:Finally into the newer material. The only thing I am not look forward to is that recap episode and the Goku vs Botamo fight.
Aren't they going to do that crap copy Vegeta stuff first? Or was that between Battle of Gods and RoF?
Nope, that's after the Universe 6 arc.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

dragon boss z
I Live Here

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:08 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The bridging episodes are great and can be watched prior to the movie no problem and they're technically classed under the BoG arc... But anyway for me narrative doesn't matter unless the animation, art etc is backing it up. I'll buy part two to support both sets of voice actors especially for Ayres but can't see myself ever watching past the bridging episodes.

I thought everything after episode 14 was the RoF arc?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:55 am

dragon boss z wrote:

Daisuki separates it like that, #19-27 as the Freeza arc and #1-18 as BoG, that is the closest we have to an official arc segregation list (to my knowledge). It makes sense given that we add the post arc stuff to the current arc eg. we add the Potafu Water stuff on to the Champa arc not Trunks arc.

dragon boss z
I Live Here

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:

Daisuki separates it like that, #19-27 as the Freeza arc and #1-18 as BoG, that is the closest we have to an official arc segregation list (to my knowledge). It makes sense given that we add the post arc stuff to the current arc eg. we add the Potafu Water stuff on to the Champa arc not Trunks arc.
Well the Goku and Vegeta training with Whis and the Krillin cop stuff seems more like it should be considered part of the RoF arc. I would say ep 15 is more like the BoG arc since it is Mr. Satan taking credit for the fight with Beerus.
The Potafu things is pretty much it's own arc.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:43 pm

omaro34 wrote:
The Copy Vegeta stuff was JUST before the Future Trunks arc. I remember because the last episode of the Copy vegeta fight, had that stinger with Future trunks running away from an unknown enemy.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:04 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
The Copy Vegeta stuff was JUST before the Future Trunks arc. I remember because the last episode of the Copy vegeta fight, had that stinger with Future trunks running away from an unknown enemy.
Thanks, this is a sign that I should rewatch a bit of Super. I've only gone through it once as it was airing. The Future Trunks arc is what I'm looking forward to the most in the English version. Curious to see who will voice Zamasu.

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:16 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
Thanks, this is a sign that I should rewatch a bit of Super. I've only gone through it once as it was airing. The Future Trunks arc is what I'm looking forward to the most in the English version. Curious to see who will voice Zamasu.
It seems all but confirmed to be James Marsters.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:19 pm

i cannot wait to hear eric vale once again as future trunks. he is my favorite dub voice actor

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:33 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
I have been waiting for the FUNi dub and using that as a re-watch so it will still be a somewhat fresh as can be experience, so many instances in the first 27 eps while re-watching with the dub I was like "oh cool I forgot about this" or "oh cool I didn't remember this", I wasn't a huge fan of the Champa arc when it aired so was itching for a re-watch badly to see if my opinion on it changes or not. If I were you I'd do the same and save the re-watch via the dub.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:53 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
I have been waiting for the FUNi dub and using that as a re-watch so it will still be a somewhat fresh as can be experience, so many instances in the first 27 eps while re-watching with the dub I was like "oh cool I forgot about this" or "oh cool I didn't remember this", I wasn't a huge fan of the Champa arc when it aired so was itching for a re-watch badly to see if my opinion on it changes or not. If I were you I'd do the same and save the re-watch via the dub.
I definitely will re-watch the Champa arc via the dub, thanks for the advise. So far I've only been watching a few YouTube clips of the English version with the exception of a few episodes because I wasn't all that interested in the RoF arc.

I gotta say though, I grew up on the dub with Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel, along with the Ocean Dub with Scott Mcneil & Brian Drummond (Canadian version since I'm Canadian). I've never watched the Japanese version. Ever. Not until I started watching Super 2 years ago, and I must admit, it grew on me. So much so that I now prefer the Japanese over the English dub now. I've even picked up a few words after watching so many episodes of Super in Japanese :lol:, something I never thought possible given my background. But I'll still re-watch the Champa and Trunks arc with the English dub because it could give me a new perspective on the arcs and Super as a whole.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:05 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
I definitely will re-watch the Champa arc via the dub, thanks for the advise. So far I've only been watching a few YouTube clips of the English version with the exception of a few episodes because I wasn't all that interested in the RoF arc.

I gotta say though, I grew up on the dub with Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel, along with the Ocean Dub with Scott Mcneil & Brian Drummond (Canadian version since I'm Canadian). I've never watched the Japanese version. Ever. Not until I started watching Super 2 years ago, and I must admit, it grew on me. So much so that I now prefer the Japanese over the English dub now. I've even picked up a few words after watching so many episodes of Super in Japanese :lol:, something I never thought possible given my background. But I'll still re-watch the Champa and Trunks arc with the English dub because it could give me a new perspective on the arcs and Super as a whole.
While I am now comfortable with the JPN cast, the English dub is still my jam, it just feels better hearing it in my native tongue just more enjoyable there is too many limiting factors with watching the Japanese, like Vegeta recently cussed someone with saying "your mama" to us it made no sense but to Japanese people it did, so it is like I am not getting the actual same experiencing watching the sub anyway so what is the point kinda thing, you can still tell good acting from bad but other than that your entire experience relies on those subtitles and if those subtitles are faulty than your whole experience is hindered. I don't know if you understood any of that or if I am just blabbing lol.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I have been waiting for the FUNi dub and using that as a re-watch so it will still be a somewhat fresh as can be experience, so many instances in the first 27 eps while re-watching with the dub I was like "oh cool I forgot about this" or "oh cool I didn't remember this", I wasn't a huge fan of the Champa arc when it aired so was itching for a re-watch badly to see if my opinion on it changes or not. If I were you I'd do the same and save the re-watch via the dub.

While I am now comfortable with the JPN cast, the English dub is still my jam, it just feels better hearing it in my native tongue just more enjoyable there is too many limiting factors with watching the Japanese, like Vegeta recently cussed someone with saying "your mama" to us it made no sense but to Japanese people it did, so it is like I am not getting the actual same experiencing watching the sub anyway so what is the point kinda thing, you can still tell good acting from bad but other than that your entire experience relies on those subtitles and if those subtitles are faulty than your whole experience is hindered. I don't know if you understood any of that or if I am just blabbing lol.
Don't worry, I get what you mean. I watch my Super episodes now on Crunchyroll so hopefully their subs are accurate. The English dub has vastly improved too, even though I would expect that since they have so many more years of experience under their belt.

Sabat's Vegeta is more smooth, same with Piccolo's voice. Piccolo's voice was very gruff sounding back from the original dub from Dragonball Z. I still cringe watching that scene where he fuses with Nail and screams "YES YES I CAN WIN! I FEEEEEEEEL GREAAAT! I CAN DOOOOO THIS UGH"!! The voice is more smooth and much better to listen to.

Freeza's Christopher Aryes (May god give him good health) is a clear upgrade over Linda Young as well. Their dialogue in general is much more of a smooth transition as well compared to the old dub. So completely get why the English dub is your jam.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:50 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Didn't want to make a thread just dedicated to this so I figured I'd post it here. This is pretty neat to us Aussie (and possibly New Zealand) fans of Dragon Ball. JB Hi-Fi have this exclusive version of the Part 1 release of Dragon Ball Super. It looks like it has a slip cover with artwork that's not on the standard release. I'll probably be getting this copy rather than what's being shown off on Madman's website.

Cover:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Did the U.S. release have something similar to this?
No, we didn't. I'm actually pretty jealous because I hate the cover art we have for the blu-rays.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:45 am

Does anyone know if Toonami will be doing any marathons in August?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:17 am

TRIZACK wrote:Does anyone know if Toonami will be doing any marathons in August?
Nope. You CAN probably marathon it through their site, though, or Adult Swim's, or illegally if you're into THAT & not supporting official stuff.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:15 am

HeroR wrote:

That's fair. I just always put a good story over art. To me, good art is a bonus and it means nothing if I am not interested in what is going on. That is how I can enjoy Fist of the North Star with its stiff as a board animation.

Ahh not to hijack this thread but I just started watching Fist Of The North Star only on episode 8. Such a hidden gem. Well hidden as in these days, I know it was popular in its time

Anyway agreed about animation. Its a bonus to me not a deal breaker.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:26 am

You think they might end the year close to the Future Trunks arc?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?