Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:20 pm

Bullza wrote:
ChiefWamsutta wrote:Hmmmmm, in the first tweet there is a reply right below that where he says that the ranking is now: Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, Android 17, Gohan, etc. He says because 17 trained for much longer he should be stronger than Gohan.
I don't see the tweet you're referring to. The tweet I posted was from July 20th so I don't know why he would have changed his mind since then.

He made another Tweet where he said they were equal before this. They're probably on par with each other though again only in his opinion.
http://imgur.com/TpmK0Xs

Marlowe89 wrote:
ChiefWamsutta wrote: Hmmmmm, in the first tweet there is a reply right below that where he says that the ranking is now: Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, Android 17, Gohan, etc. He says because 17 trained for much longer he should be stronger than Gohan.
Nah, that was just some random 17 fan replying to his tweet. These people always tend to bug the hell out of him with power-scaling questions and then start questioning his opinions when he says something they're not totally on board with.

We don't really know how strong Gohan and 17 are supposed to be at this point, and you can also blame the anime's (at times) annoyingly vague writing for that.
Yeah, I think Ultimate Gohan, Android 17, and SSBerserker Kale are between SS3 Goku (DBZ) and SSGod Goku (BoG). There is no clear answer yet, but luckily they are main enough that they will get at least one more fight each. We could hopefully use that to determine where they stand.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:20 am

Bullza wrote: It's hard to say. Before he became Ultimate again they referred to Gohan regaining his "original" power. So I'd have assumed when he first transformed into it he would have been as strong as he was in the Buu Arc.

But then at the end of the episode Piccolo did say say he believed he could get stronger but that was like a day before the Tournament? He shouldn't be massively more powerful but then he did land some hits on Super Saiyan Blue Goku.

Was he holding back against Gohan? Debatable. He punched Golden Frieza and knocked him out. He punched Gohan and he was still fighting back. According to Toshio Golden Frieza is stronger than Gohan though.

So yeah maybe he was holding back.
ChiefWamsutta wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
ChiefWamsutta wrote:
Ultimate Gohan and Android #17 are probably close to Buuhan now, since Toshio believes the two are equal and Ultimate Gohan was at Super Buu level and then he powered up.
Wait, where are you getting the bolded from? How much stronger is Gohan now than he was in the Buu arc?
Oh, I am sorry. So in Ep. 88 we see that Gohan regains Ultimate (or, rather it was called "the power he used against Buu"). This would put Ultimate Gohan back at Super Buu level. Since he powered-up through training. As of Ep. 90, I assumed he would be at Buuhan's level. That was my own personal guess. Toshio Yoshitaka said he believed Android 17 was equal to Gohan, so I estimated he would be at the same level of Buuhan.
Having reviewed that episode's subs, plus Kanzenshuu's summary, that definitely seems to be the case. As Herms puts it: "Gohan powers up into Super Saiyan once more, but Piccolo knows Super Saiyan isn’t his full power. He tells Gohan to awaken his true self, the power he had when he fought Buu!". That should count as a direct statement that the current Ultimate Gohan is equal to his Buu arc self, especially since the tournament starts like nine hours after this. Which I guess would imply Gohan's forms have been at Buu arc levels this entire time.

How does this impact the hierarchy relative to older characters? Not to mention the recurring base Goku/Vegeta issue. In episode 90 we see Gohan trade blows with Bluper Saiyan Goku so apparently he somehow leveled up massively in a few hours? So then who can we scale to based on Buu arc Ultimate Gohan?
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:34 am

Goku clearly was holding back vs. Kale. From what he says, to what he does right after goofily confronting Jiren, to his lack of damage and his trollish statements after being hurled into the surrounding rocks and smacked around, to him letting Kale go in the most recent episode because he's casually convinced he can fight a more powerful version of her later in the tournament, I'd say this is settled. She's above SS3, but nowhere near 100% blue. I can't believe this is even an issue. People need to stop seeing blue as some fixed multiplication amount. Blue, like all the other Saiyan forms, has a maximum power, and it can be anything below that level. I wish people would face two facts: Goku can hold himself back to wherever he sees fit in any form, and Goku wants to make each fight he's in as interesting and challenging as possible. He may never get a chance like this again; he may never get to see these guys again.

Also, Ultimate Gohan is clearly leagues stronger than he was in Buu saga. He survives a hit from KK SSB Goku and even tries to fight back. That makes him relative to a large percentage of 100% SSB Goku. KK is only ever used when Goku is at 100%. King Kai even mentions that the technique is used to take you beyond your MAXIMUM power. You don't just flip KK on when you're suppressed to 50%. Gohan "gaining back his original power" refers simply to him rediscovering his old ability (power) to transform into the Ultimate form, nothing more.

I personally have no reason to believe it goes anything other than Goku (KK) > Vegeta >~ Frieza >= SSB Goku > Ultimate Gohan > 17 > Piccolo... at this point in time. What I'm currently interested in is where Kale stands in relation to Gohan and 17, and where Toppo and Hit presently stand in this list.

As far as where base Goku stands, if we ignore the first two awful arcs, and the awful copy Vegeta arc (so, ignore all the bad arcs), you end up with a reasonable base Goku who is somewhere near untrained Fat Buu level, probably a little higher.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:21 am

Is there any scene clearly comparing base Goku and Piccolo?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:56 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Is there any scene clearly comparing base Goku and Piccolo?
Only contradicting ones, so I guess that they would account for a "no". You have Super Saiyan Goku and Super Saiyan Gohan sparring some dozens of episodes ago, which implies Gohan needs to be superior to at least base Goku; in another episode you have base Goku nullifying what appeared to be Piccolo's fully charged attack.
The overaching structure of the anime ostensibly renders the second one an outlier, though, since in the episode immediately preceding Piccolo's feat he was made out to be way stronger than the Super Saiyan Gohan who faced Goku.

In short, Piccolo would have to be stronger than base Goku, but could also be anywhere between base and Super Saiyan 3 (according to, well, whichever makes more sense to you).

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:54 am

LowRyder2005 wrote:
Only contradicting ones, so I guess that they would account for a "no". You have Super Saiyan Goku and Super Saiyan Gohan sparring some dozens of episodes ago, which implies Gohan needs to be superior to at least base Goku; in another episode you have base Goku nullifying what appeared to be Piccolo's fully charged attack.
The overaching structure of the anime ostensibly renders the second one an outlier, though, since in the episode immediately preceding Piccolo's feat he was made out to be way stronger than the Super Saiyan Gohan who faced Goku.

In short, Piccolo would have to be stronger than base Goku, but could also be anywhere between base and Super Saiyan 3 (according to, well, whichever makes more sense to you).
Granted the attack he used against Goku is the Hyper Explosive Demon wave.Last time he used that attack in canon it did nothing to a Goku that was close to him in power.
Also i believe its worth mentioning that this attack has a very bad record including its debut,or to be more blunt Hyper Explosive Demon Wave sucks.
If anything we can give the benefit of the doubt of Piccolo's performance against base Goku being so poor due to the move used.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:59 am

The name of one the upcoming episodes refers to it as being a faster than light speed battle.

Does that mean there haven't been any faster than light battles up until now? I was thinking the other day they hadn't really made clear how fast they were supposed to be.
ChiefWamsutta wrote:http://imgur.com/TpmK0Xs
But that's someone elses comment.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:03 am

Bullza wrote:The name of one the upcoming episodes refers to it as being a faster than light speed battle.

Does that mean there haven't been any faster than light battles up until now? I was thinking the other day they hadn't really made clear how fast they were supposed to be.
It means OHMYGODSOHYPED!!!
Nothing more nothing less.
Unless it's actually brought up within the show and is plot relevant, I don't see any reason to ascribe any other meaning to it.

Shlugo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shlugo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:04 am

ChiefWamsutta wrote: SSRose was explained to basically be SSBlue, yeah, so there power should be equal. I did not interpret that as Black's Base power, but, rather, Black unlocking the SSGod power Goku had inside himself. His whole journey was to achieve the full power of Goku's body. He was very restricted fighting Trunks before he came back from the future, then less restricted against SS2 Goku. But when Vegeta was pummeling him as an SSBlue, Goku Black was able to handle it. Toriyama had intended for SSRose to be Black's version of SSBlue, and, you are right, if Black's Base power were that strong then he would be too overwhelming for them. That's why I personally believe he was drawing on the SSGod power that Goku had inside himself.

That's just my interpretation though.

But Goku is already using SSGod power in base since Battle of the Gods saga. This line of thinking is flawed.
ChiefWamsutta wrote:

Yeah, but Goku had to use SS1 in the Tournament of Power to overwhelm them fully. Then he and Vegeta accessed SSBlue power equal to a SS3 during the tag-team Final Kamehameha.
Goku using SS1 in that situation doesn't prove they are individually stronger, he just wanted to end the impasse he got in quickly. Again if each of the brothers was individually stronger than base Goku then 3 of them together should totally beat him to the ground which is not what happened - they best they could manage was keep him in defensive but not really do any real damage to him.

And Goku going SSBlue is not much of a proof either given that these days he'd probably use it to open a jar of pickles. I'd argue that Goku just going Blue against some isn't really a proof of their power if they can't hold their own against him in that state - he might just be going for a giant overkill.

ChiefWamsutta wrote: Goku hasn't accessed more power than SS3 during the tournament yet, which is why I don't think Option A is right. He acknowledged that he would release a little more power in the match with SSBerserker Kale. He uses SSBlue instead of SS3 because of the huge stamina drain in SS3, even more so than SSBlue. Kale had to use SSBerserker against the four Pride Troopers because SSBerserker Controlled was not strong enough. Its power is only a little more than Caulifla's SS2 though because of their beams -- SS2 Caulifla's wrapped around Kale's, meaning it was weaker by a bit.

We'll see more of Kale and Caulifla though, and be able to determine better where SSBerserker stands.
That's a lot of assumptions there - I don't remember it being stated that Goku is limiting his SSBlue form to SS3 level. He said he could've released a littlemore power against Kale, but that leaves a wide room of interpretation of how much power was he using - was it's 50%, 70% more? Heck, he might've been using 100% SSBlue power and just meant Kaioken, we don't know.

And saying that Kale had to use Bulked up for of SSBerserk dosen't mean much because we don't know what the difference is between the two variants. Could be huge.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Thoughts?

My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:16 pm

apex_predator wrote:Thoughts?
It's cool that you put in so much effort. For things I'd change myself.

1. Beerus being at or a tad below Super Saiyan Blue Vegito because of what was said in the manga.

2. Jiren definitely being above Super Saiyan Blue Goku Kaioken because Toppo said he'd stand no chance against Jiren. If he's the mortal Whis was referring to he could be above Vegito even.

3. Toppo was said to be Goku's equal, I believe that was including Goku's Kaioken.

4. Super Saiyan Rose Black being below Goku, Vegeta and Frieza.

5. Present and Future Zamasu being the same strength.

6. Final Form Frieza being below the regular Super Saiyan's and on par with the Base Saiyans which should really be above Buu.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Bullza wrote:

1. Beerus being at or a tad below Super Saiyan Blue Vegito because of what was said in the manga.

2. Jiren definitely being above Super Saiyan Blue Goku Kaioken because Toppo said he'd stand no chance against Jiren. If he's the mortal Whis was referring to he could be above Vegito even.

3. Toppo was said to be Goku's equal, I believe that was including Goku's Kaioken.

6. Final Form Frieza being below the regular Super Saiyan's and on par with the Base Saiyans which should really be above Buu.
1. Well, shin doesn't know about beerus's peak powers, so he might be higher. Plus beerus has a large number of other abilities which make him more powerful.

2. Kaioken goku hurt Zamasu and broke his halo. That's too impressive for me. Until jiren does something above that, he is just a level above Toppo

3. Toppo was said to be an opponent Goku said "wasn't completely sure if I can beat him even in SSB". Also, Goku had the advantage in their exchange, so I would put him barely above Toppo.

4. Why? Rose Black was beating everyone in the zamasu arc. Not rage-boosted goku, not raged trunks, not rage vegeta, not SSIkari trunkks could beat him. Even post ROSAT vegeta lost when he powered up further.

5. Goku said that Zamasu had a lot of potential and can rival Beerus if given enough time and training. Also, Zamasu was exchanging blows with SSB Goku all the time.

6. Final form Freeza is much, much stronger than Napapa who gave both Basil and Super Saiyan Caulifla a hard time. He also stomped murichim who should be above napapa atleast.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:27 pm

apex_pretador wrote:Stuff
Didn't Beerus say something about Goku only being equal to their number 2 (Toppo)? And that was after Goku had used the Kaioken and he'd already used it before on Bergamo.

Toppo also saw that but still said he couldn't beat Jiren. Considering Goku is gonna need a new form as well I'm certain Jiren is gonna be stronger than that.

Goku and Vegeta might not have used their full power on Black, didn't dpseem like they went full power until they fought Merged Zamasu. I can't see Black overpowering Merged Zamasu when he's just a part of that power. Also in the manga Black was weaker than Vegeta and Goku.

Also Zamasu exchanged blows with Goku but then Trunks got the better against him. Again in the manga they said he was weaker than Trunks.

Frieza is an odd one I guess but he should just be around as strong as Base Goku still.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:51 pm

There is the episode following Goku's fight with Monaka-Suit Beerus, where he's suffering from Ki Onset Syndrome and the two are on top of Gohan and Videl's house whilst babysitting Pan.

He flatly tells Piccolo that even he could him at that point due to that sickness, and at no point is SS implied to be the level he's talking about. This exchange is immediately followed by the Potaufeu Arc, where Goku and Vegeta are portrayed as above SS3 Gotenks in base form, which makes sense with the previous exchange between Goku and Piccolo.

I also saw above that Piccolo's explosive wave attack apparently has a bad track record. Well, Goku nearly got taken out by it as he himself states, so Piccolo is most certainly close to Goku if he can manage that.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:06 pm

avasatu wrote:Goku clearly was holding back vs. Kale. From what he says, to what he does right after goofily confronting Jiren, to his lack of damage and his trollish statements after being hurled into the surrounding rocks and smacked around, to him letting Kale go in the most recent episode because he's casually convinced he can fight a more powerful version of her later in the tournament, I'd say this is settled. She's above SS3, but nowhere near 100% blue. I can't believe this is even an issue. People need to stop seeing blue as some fixed multiplication amount. Blue, like all the other Saiyan forms, has a maximum power, and it can be anything below that level. I wish people would face two facts: Goku can hold himself back to wherever he sees fit in any form, and Goku wants to make each fight he's in as interesting and challenging as possible. He may never get a chance like this again; he may never get to see these guys again.

Also, Ultimate Gohan is clearly leagues stronger than he was in Buu saga. He survives a hit from KK SSB Goku and even tries to fight back. That makes him relative to a large percentage of 100% SSB Goku. KK is only ever used when Goku is at 100%. King Kai even mentions that the technique is used to take you beyond your MAXIMUM power. You don't just flip KK on when you're suppressed to 50%. Gohan "gaining back his original power" refers simply to him rediscovering his old ability (power) to transform into the Ultimate form, nothing more.

I personally have no reason to believe it goes anything other than Goku (KK) > Vegeta >~ Frieza >= SSB Goku > Ultimate Gohan > 17 > Piccolo... at this point in time. What I'm currently interested in is where Kale stands in relation to Gohan and 17, and where Toppo and Hit presently stand in this list.

As far as where base Goku stands, if we ignore the first two awful arcs, and the awful copy Vegeta arc (so, ignore all the bad arcs), you end up with a reasonable base Goku who is somewhere near untrained Fat Buu level, probably a little higher.
Hitto is above Ultimate Gohan by a long shot.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:22 pm

Bullza wrote:

I don't think this is accurate. Goku Black was confirmed to be the strongest during episode 65 and I don't think Goku and Vegeta increased their power that much (if at all) during the months prior to the ToP.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:29 pm

ZombieVito wrote:I don't think this is accurate. Goku Black was confirmed to be the strongest during episode 65 and I don't think Goku and Vegeta increased their power that much (if at all) during the months prior to the ToP.
Yeah but Goku and Vegeta didn't use their power until they fought Merged Zamasu (most likely). It's hard to picture Black over powering Merged Zamasu in the same way that Goku did co spidering Merged Zamasu was supposed to be Black and Zamasu's power together and then some.

Then like I said in the manga he was also shown to be inferior to the both of them.

As for any improvements they might have made, Goku told Hit that he had been training hard all year so he probably got a decent bit stronger.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:33 pm

Bullza wrote:
ZombieVito wrote:I don't think this is accurate. Goku Black was confirmed to be the strongest during episode 65 and I don't think Goku and Vegeta increased their power that much (if at all) during the months prior to the ToP.
Yeah but Goku and Vegeta didn't use their power until they fought Merged Zamasu (most likely). It's hard to picture Black over powering Merged Zamasu in the same way that Goku did co spidering Merged Zamasu was supposed to be Black and Zamasu's power together and then some.

Then like I said in the manga he was also shown to be inferior to the both of them.

As for any improvements they might have made, Goku told Hit that he had been training hard all year so he probably got a decent bit stronger.
How about we put all of them at the same power level, then?

That way, Goku Black can still be considered the strongest, but we can still say that Goku and Vegeta were ALSO the strongest. I don't know, I always saw Goku Black's last power-up as putting him on-par with the recently powered-up SSB Vegeta, same as what I thought happened when he powered up against raging SSB Goku.

His Ki blades are extremely potent weapons, able to lethally hit opponents at his own level with relative ease.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:12 pm

Would it be fair to say that Goku+Tenshinhan vs Gohan+Piccolo was just a friendly spar and no one was using their full power?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:30 am

Black created clones of himself that Goku and Vegeta fodderized. They only became overwhelmed due to the quantity of clones. His increase was in mostly power capability, rather than much quantity. Zamasu is the god of miscalulations.

Current SSB Goku/Vegeta > End of Zamasu arc SSB Goku/Vegeta > SSR Black