"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by kinisking » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Slaythe wrote:
Let me guess, his face isn't green enough ?
Did you read the rest of what he wrote at all?
He's complaining about 17 recieving "too much attention" when last episode was the first where he had some action in the tournament so it doesn't make sense, 17 had his moment and Gohan and Piccolo will have their moments today, he had no need to be salty, he should learn something called patience.
Why try to point him out as a piccolo Fanboy when it seems that he's interested in Gohans role ?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:05 pm

kinisking wrote: Did you read the rest of what he wrote at all?
Yeah I did, and none of it justified calling a focus on 17 "wearisome", when he had 10 minutes of screentime total and only 2 eliminations since this tournament started.

Lionel wrote:
The crux of my grievances is directed towards Goku, but I do confess to feeling aversive at what looks to be a seemingly more plausible situation involving #17 following in Goku and Vegeta's footsteps of almost double-handedly eliminating 1/7th of the competition. From someone of your position who seems to be one of the most adamant supports for #17 that might seem like a golden scenario, but some, if not many of us have been finding grievance with the studio writers proving unable to sufficiently project this event like it was initially intended to be, a multi-sided battle royale where every universe is for themselves. For the most part, the universes have been losing fighters to a small handful of characters exclusively from Universes 6 and 7. You could better easily rationalise this disproportionate amount by having the characters in question using much larger amounts of their power, but that's not the case. They've been largely restricting themselves except for one or two moments in their fights. If taking fault in this overexposure makes me "salty", in your words, then so be it.

My expectations for this tournament have largely been tempered. I hardly expected anyone apart from the Saiyans and Freeza to be gamefully racking up eliminations, but to the extent that one or more of them needs to make a substantive appearance almost every episode? Yes, I am going to take fault with the show -- even Krillin's self-acclaimed titled episode only allocated roughly five minutes of actual screen time to his fighting, two of which was shared with #18. It's understandable as Krillin prepared for the tournament with collaborative strategies involving #18, but I do feel the episode title may have just been a tad bit of an overstatement for how much Krillin's appearance actually was given. I can recall Vegeta's involvement with the Trio de Dangers at the beginning of the tournament as having more choreographical effort put into it than Krillin's solitary fight with Majora, and we know Krillin will be sitting out the rest of this tournament. How does that speak for the other members of Universe 7 except for a few?
But only 10 minutes have passed. You can't expect the strongest fighters to not handle the small fries easily.

What you seem to forget is that all the universes AGREED to target U7 and destroy Goku and co. Vegeta and Frieza are probably the only two that are going out of their way to take out people. To some extent 18 might fit.

17 defended himself. Goku also defends himself most of the time, the only enemies he wanted to face ignored him !

The others were part of Gohan's awful plan that consisted of doing nothing. Anyway, you being "concerned" by 17 getting some shine is hypocritical, when he wasn't "a saiyan or frieza". It's also ignoring 18 has gotten a lot of shine too. And has a LOT more elimination. So of course we took it as a direct attack on 17.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:07 pm

MainJPW wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: At least he isn't looking like Goku
At least he isn't looking like Yamcha anymore... Coincidentally, another guy Bulma has fucked. :D
Wow, he did used to look like Yamcha...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Does Gohan, like, go through phases? Because currently, it looks like he's going through a Vegeta phase.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It's less him going through phases and more phases going through him..
He is so damn good he adapts to the style best suited for the moment..
Right now he needs to stay below Goku no matter what, so Vegeta it is..
Seriously though, a lot of db characters look alike, take tien for example, he is exactly Goku when you remove his third eye and give him hair
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:07 pm

Apparently a character who has not played an important part in the story for 4 and a bit arcs getting 3 episodes of noticeable screen time is tiresome.

I think there's a flaw in that logic somewhere? Ifs that you dont like #17 well tough, your gonna have to just deal with it. Also wither you like it or not #17 is one of U7's strongest fights so he's not going anywhere soon.

Other characters have had or are going to get their 15 minutes of fame during the tournament so what dose it matter, your personal pick will get his/her turn.

incarnati0n
Beyond Newbie

Post by incarnati0n » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:11 pm

I love how no matter how much of an argument someone tries to make about their opinion on how the tournament has been developping, if they make a single sentence where they don't go over the top on how ''great'' 17 was or whatever, they get instantly bombarded by a 17 fanboy who just say :''But I like 17 so much, why don't you like him too as much as I do and I don't care about anything you just wrote because you just criticized my favorite character.''

I have nothing against 17 and I actually enjoyed the second part of last episode a lot, but ffs, you feel more entitled than Vegeta fans right now. Just bring it down a notch instead of dismissing other peoples opinions like they just wrote trash and actually engage in meaningful discussion to try to understand the basis of someone else's opinion.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:18 pm

incarnati0n wrote:I love how no matter how much of an argument someone tries to make about their opinion on how the tournament has been developping, if they make a single sentence where they don't go over the top on how ''great'' 17 was or whatever, they get instantly bombarded by a 17 fanboy who just say :''But I like 17 so much, why don't you like him too as much as I do and I don't care about anything you just wrote because you just criticized my favorite character.''

I have nothing against 17 and I actually enjoyed the second part of last episode a lot, but ffs, you feel more entitled than Vegeta fans right now. Just bring it down a notch instead of dismissing other peoples opinions like they just wrote trash and actually engage in meaningful discussion to try to understand the basis of someone else's opinion.
I could care less if he likes him or not but calling his ivolvement "tiresome" when he just started to get some action is really hypocritical when other characters have had A LOT of focus too, also what the hell is he expecting ? 17 is not back to play a background character and he's one of the strongest on the team of course he will be putting a lot of work and he should be thankful for 17 if anything he's opening the door for non saiyans to actually be relevant power wise.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Apparently a character who has not played an important part in the story for 4 and a bit arcs getting 3 episodes of noticeable screen time is tiresome.

I think there's a flaw in that logic somewhere? Ifs that you dont like #17 well tough, your gonna have to just deal with it. Also wither you like it or not #17 is one of U7's strongest fights so he's not going anywhere soon.

Other characters have had or are going to get their 15 minutes of fame during the tournament so what dose it matter, your personal pick will get his/her turn.
Were we supposed to hope for some future role for #17 prior to this arc? Outside of the questionable GT saga, #17 was more or less presented as a secondary villain to the greater menace that was Cell. He and #18 exposed the faults of Super Saiyan, made everyone realise a level beyond the original legendary transformation existed, underwent what many consider to be a high quality one-on-one fight with Piccolo, and then shortly thereafter became assimilated into Cell. We see neither hide nor hair of him afterwards. The manga doesn't even have the diligence to portray his resurrection, what his reaction to the whole ordeal was, and how his relationship with his sister was altered as a result. Before this arc, I question how many people thought very much of #17. Personally, I thought he fit the same classification as, say, Raditz or Nappa -- i.e subsidiary villains who act as a precursor to the looming danger in the horizon.

You're right, though, I don't care for #17. Piccolo happens to be my second favourite character in the show, though I don't really expect all too much out of him in this event. The U6 tournament mollified my expectations for him in these types of events. I'm questioning what the degree of #17's screen time will entail. Does it end in the next episode or does it continue for many more afterwards? Who all will be offered up to give his participation more meaning and at what expense to other fighters? If his participation is allowed to siphon off almost an entire universe like Goku and Vegeta's did, then I yes, I will take grievance with him -- especially seeing as how the fighter who is hyped up to be the equal of Goku, Freeza, may have likely earned even less (some of which is attributable to his pension for slow torture, granted).
Lapislettuce wrote:
Lionel wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote: He might not be "worthy" to you but he is to a lot of people, everyone loved him last episode and said he saved that one, he's obviously a great and a smart fighter and has great and unique abilities which is no doubt why they're giving him more importance than some other boring characters who stopped being cool awhile ago, you're going to see Gohan in action today so what's your problem again ? i can't believe how some people here feel the need to be salty toward a characters for no reason other than "oh my favorites should get more spotlight"
The crux of my grievances is directed towards Goku, but I do confess to feeling aversive at what looks to be a seemingly more plausible situation involving #17 following in Goku and Vegeta's footsteps of almost double-handedly eliminating 1/7th of the competition. From someone of your position who seems to be one of the most adamant supports for #17 that might seem like a golden scenario, but some, if not many of us have been finding grievance with the studio writers proving unable to sufficiently project this event like it was initially intended to be, a multi-sided battle royale where every universe is for themselves. For the most part, the universes have been losing fighters to a small handful of characters exclusively from Universes 6 and 7. You could better easily rationalise this disproportionate amount by having the characters in question using much larger amounts of their power, but that's not the case. They've been largely restricting themselves except for one or two moments in their fights. If taking fault in this overexposure makes me "salty", in your words, then so be it.

My expectations for this tournament have largely been tempered. I hardly expected anyone apart from the Saiyans and Freeza to be gamefully racking up eliminations, but to the extent that one or more of them needs to make a substantive appearance almost every episode? Yes, I am going to take fault with the show -- even Krillin's self-acclaimed titled episode only allocated roughly five minutes of actual screen time to his fighting, two of which was shared with #18. It's understandable as Krillin prepared for the tournament with collaborative strategies involving #18, but I do feel the episode title may have just been a tad bit of an overstatement for how much Krillin's appearance actually was given. I can recall Vegeta's involvement with the Trio de Dangers at the beginning of the tournament as having more choreographical effort put into it than Krillin's solitary fight with Majora, and we know Krillin will be sitting out the rest of this tournament. How does that speak for the other members of Universe 7 except for a few?
Everywhere i go i see people happy with 17's involvement and are calling him the MVP, i don't see what you mean by "many of us are not satisfied" , there's no need to cry over it, me and other 17 fans have been waiting for years for him to have even a comeo while you had the chance to see your favorites on screen from time to time, we're only been rewarded for out patience, and Goku is THE MAIN character you can't complain about him having too much exposure just like i won't complain about Usagi being too invoved in sailor moon, it's his show. you want other characters to shine ? fine be patient and wait till this arc is over to complain because saying a character's involvement is "tiresom" when it was expected from the start that he will be involved as much or even more than he is at the moment considering the promotion he got.
Goku is the protagonist, but he doesn't need five out of the past six episodes portioning out large segments of screentime for himself when the inevitable shriveling of competition will eventually result in multi-episode long battles involving himself against Jiren and possibly others like Toppo. It expends a lot of the available air time and leaves not much to be offered to others. I've seen many fans express a desire to see more of Freeza's exploits, but much of the episode's duration has been dedicated to Goku shifting around from enemy to enemy. My previous reference to Krillin's apportioned time in the very episode where he was supposed to make his pivotal debut in the tournament is a case in point.
Last edited by Lionel on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:26 pm

Don't really have too much of a strong opinion of 17 personally. I do like that he and 18 have been getting some nice moments this saga so far, but of the U7 squad, Goku, Gohan, and Freeza are the only ones I have any genuine investment in. I hope for the best for all of the remaining U7 members though while I'm neutral with 17 and Roshi, I'm quite apathetic towards 18, Piccolo, Vegeta, and Tenshinhan.
Lionel wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:Apparently a character who has not played an important part in the story for 4 and a bit arcs getting 3 episodes of noticeable screen time is tiresome.

Were we supposed to hope for some future role for #17 prior to this arc? Outside of the questionable GT saga, #17 was more or less presented as a secondary villain to the greater menace that was Cell. He and #18 exposed the faults of Super Saiyan, made everyone realise a level beyond the original legendary transformation existed, underwent what many consider to be a high quality on on one fight with Piccolo, and then shortly thereafter became assimilated into Cell. We see neither hide nor hair of him afterwards. The manga doesn't even have the diligence to portray his resurrection, what his reaction to the whole ordeal was, and how his relationship with his sister was altered as a result. Before this arc, I question how many people thought very much of #17. Personally, I thought he fit the same classification as, say, Raditz or Nappa -- i.e subsidiary villains who act as a precursor to the looming danger in the horizon.

You're right, though, I don't care for #17. Piccolo happens to be my second favourite character in the show, though I don't really expect all too much out of him in this event. The U6 tournament mollified my expectations for him in these types of events. I'm questioning what the degree of #17's screen time will entail. Does it end in the next episode or does it continue for many more afterwards? Who all will be offered up to give his participation more meaning and at what expense to other fighters? If his participation is allowed to siphon off almost an entire universe like Goku and Vegeta's did, then I yes, I will take grievance with him -- especially seeing as how the fighter who is hyped up to be the equal of Goku, Freeza, may have likely earned even less (some of which is attributable to his pension for slow torture, granted).
Lapislettuce wrote:
Lionel wrote: The crux of my grievances is directed towards Goku, but I do confess to feeling aversive at what looks to be a seemingly more plausible situation involving #17 following in Goku and Vegeta's footsteps of almost double-handedly eliminating 1/7th of the competition. From someone of your position who seems to be one of the most adamant supports for #17 that might seem like a golden scenario, but some, if not many of us have been finding grievance with the studio writers proving unable to sufficiently project this event like it was initially intended to be, a multi-sided battle royale where every universe is for themselves. For the most part, the universes have been losing fighters to a small handful of characters exclusively from Universes 6 and 7. You could better easily rationalise this disproportionate amount by having the characters in question using much larger amounts of their power, but that's not the case. They've been largely restricting themselves except for one or two moments in their fights. If taking fault in this overexposure makes me "salty", in your words, then so be it.

Everywhere i go i see people happy with 17's involvement and are calling him the MVP, i don't see what you mean by "many of us are not satisfied" , there's no need to cry over it, me and other 17 fans have been waiting for years for him to have even a comeo while you had the chance to see your favorites on screen from time to time, we're only been rewarded for out patience, and Goku is THE MAIN character you can't complain about him having too much exposure just like i won't complain about Usagi being too invoved in sailor moon, it's his show. you want other characters to shine ? fine be patient and wait till this arc is over to complain because saying a character's involvement is "tiresom" when it was expected from the start that he will be involved as much or even more than he is at the moment considering the promotion he got.
Goku is the protagonist, but he doesn't need five out of the past six episodes portioning out large segments of screentime for himself when the inevitable shriveling of competition will eventually result in multi-episode long battles involving himself against Jiren and possibly others like Toppo. It expends a lot of the available air time and leaves not much to be offered to others. I've seen many fans express a desire to see more of Freeza's exploits, but much of the episode's duration has been dedicated to Goku shifting around from enemy to enemy. My previous reference to Krillin's apportioned time in the very episode where he was supposed to make his pivotal debut in the tournament is a case in point.
But that's exaggerating. I do get your point even agree with it, but Goku hasn't been "portioning out large segments of screentime for himself." Outside of episodes 98 and 100, he didn't really get massive screentime in these episodes (and he practically wasn't even in episode 99). Even in the other episodes he was in (97, 99, 101, and 102) it didn't take away at all from other characters looking good. The Freeza thing though? Freeza isn't getting much screen time for a completely different reason. He isn't getting screentime simply because the whole "Freeza exploits plan" is playing a larger role much later on. I agree though that a lot of these earlier episodes could focus more on other characters.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Lionel wrote:

Were we supposed to hope for some future role for #17 prior to this arc? Outside of the questionable GT saga, #17 was more or less presented as a secondary villain to the greater menace that was Cell. He and #18 exposed the faults of Super Saiyan, made everyone realise a level beyond the original legendary transformation existed, underwent what many consider to be a high quality on on one fight with Piccolo, and then shortly thereafter became assimilated into Cell. We see neither hide nor hair of him afterwards. The manga doesn't even have the diligence to portray his resurrection, what his reaction to the whole ordeal was, and how his relationship with his sister was altered as a result. Before this arc, I question how many people thought very much of #17. Personally, I thought he fit the same classification as, say, Raditz or Nappa -- i.e subsidiary villains who act as a precursor to the looming danger in the horizon.

Yeah you made it clear you don't care for him and i actually don't care about that at all, i know 17 came back because people wanted to see him in action again, characters don't comeback like that out of no where Toei knows who people want to see and he's not Raditz or Nappa lmao ! i barely see anyone calling these characters their favorites while i see A LOT of people calling 17 their favorite regardless of how little screen time he got in Z, and after last episode i've seen nothing but positive feedback towards him so i'm quit surprised how you decided to attack his presence when other characters who have been just introduced are shoved in our faces more than him, your whole comment felt like you are threatened by 17's role in the arc for some reason because you're scared he will take the shine from your favorites which is ridiculous because one can hope his favorite does well without talking down another character. also expect to see a lot more of him, he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:42 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:
Lionel wrote:

Yeah you made it clear you don't care for him and i actually don't care about that at all, i know 17 came back because people wanted to see him in action again, characters don't comeback like that out of no where Toei knows who people want to see, and after last episode i've seen nothing but positive feedback towards him so i'm quit surprised how you decided to attack his presence when other characters who have been just introduced are shoved in our faces more than him, your whole comment felt like you are threatened by 17's role in the arc for some reason because you're scared he will take the shine from your favorites which is ridiculous because one can hope his favorite does well without talking down another character. also expect to see a lot more of him, he's not going anywhere anytime soon.
No disrespect, but this is beginning to sound more like a personalised attack. I've relayed my tempered expectations several times now. I'm more confused at how this conclusion was reached that an outcry from fans, judging by your reference to "people", was reached. Is it more than just arbitrary selection that #17 was picked? Can you offer an official source on fans wanting #17 to return? How much of this tournament will be apportioned to him? Rather than basking for weeks on end in his exploits during a single episode, I would like to know what it will all entail and what the relative percentage of his participation will equal by the end of this tournament because it will likely have consequences being footed in the form of inactivity from most in this tournament.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm happy that Piccolo will finally have a win after years of being trolled(not counting the sparring with Gohan)

Tonights episode might be sad because its Farewell for Gowasu.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:50 pm

Lionel wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:
Lionel wrote:

Yeah you made it clear you don't care for him and i actually don't care about that at all, i know 17 came back because people wanted to see him in action again, characters don't comeback like that out of no where Toei knows who people want to see, and after last episode i've seen nothing but positive feedback towards him so i'm quit surprised how you decided to attack his presence when other characters who have been just introduced are shoved in our faces more than him, your whole comment felt like you are threatened by 17's role in the arc for some reason because you're scared he will take the shine from your favorites which is ridiculous because one can hope his favorite does well without talking down another character. also expect to see a lot more of him, he's not going anywhere anytime soon.
No disrespect, but this is beginning to sound more like a personalised attack. I've relayed my tempered expectations several times now. I'm more confused at how this conclusion was reached that an outcry from fans, judging by your reference to "people", was reached. Is it more than just arbitrary selection that #17 was picked? Can you offer an official source on fans wanting #17 to return? How much of this tournament will be apportioned to him? Rather than basking for weeks on end in his exploits during a single episode, I would like to know what it will all entail and what the relative percentage of his participation will equal by the end of this tournament because it will likely have consequences being footed in the form of inactivity from most in this tournament.
I've been in the fan base for years and i know that i constantly see people mentioning 17 and wanting him to join as a z fighter, there has been even fan pages and blogs dedicated to that not to mention he WAS NEVER FORGOTTEN by fans he was always relevant in Japan with db hero games, merchandise and fanarts, also it's quit OBVIOUS that 17 will do more than most people on the team, he's one of the most promoted and hyped up characters not to mention one of the strongest characters on the team, Toriyama brought him back and gave him an amazing power boost and he obviously has more plans for him what he did on episode 102 was just a warm up, you will see on your own and i'm sure deep down you know it too otherwise you wouldn't have attacked his presence out of everyone who has been shoved on our faces more than he was.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:51 pm

perucho1990 wrote:I'm happy that Piccolo will finally have a win after years of being trolled(not counting the sparring with Gohan)

Tonights episode might be sad because its Farewell for Gowasu.
Just curious, what confirms Piccolo is getting a win tonight? I hope he does get one, but I'm just saying.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:52 pm

perucho1990 wrote:I'm happy that Piccolo will finally have a win after years of being trolled(not counting the sparring with Gohan).
Against whom?
I might have missed it
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Brianne will eliminate Zircol.

That leaves Obni and Lubalt vs Piccolo and Gohan.

We already know that Gohan will eliminate Botamo and tying first place with U6(9 survivors).

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Lionel wrote:

Were we supposed to hope for some future role for #17 prior to this arc? Outside of the questionable GT saga, #17 was more or less presented as a secondary villain to the greater menace that was Cell. He and #18 exposed the faults of Super Saiyan, made everyone realise a level beyond the original legendary transformation existed, underwent what many consider to be a high quality one-on-one fight with Piccolo, and then shortly thereafter became assimilated into Cell. We see neither hide nor hair of him afterwards. The manga doesn't even have the diligence to portray his resurrection, what his reaction to the whole ordeal was, and how his relationship with his sister was altered as a result. Before this arc, I question how many people thought very much of #17. Personally, I thought he fit the same classification as, say, Raditz or Nappa -- i.e subsidiary villains who act as a precursor to the looming danger in the horizon.
Well you should have when he is one of two characters who got an entire 2 episodes in the requirement phase, with the only other character getting that much time with Goku being Frieza. If you didn't foresee him playing a bigger part then most of the other caste, I'm afraid thats a lack of perception on your part. I saw it coming a mile away, and I was never a big #17 liker. The Super team decided to make 17 a heavy hitter so he is going to get more screen time then most of the rank and file. Thats a given. As for others likeing him, well thats something you cannot ever understand. Some people love Raditz, King Cold or the movie villains despite the fact they do little or nothing in the overall plot or anything meaningful. Lesser characters now and then, thats just the way it is and 17 dose have some qualities that make him a bit more appealing to others. We should count ourselves lucky they even bothered to use him when hr e could have got the Raditz treatment.
Lapislettuce wrote:You're right, though, I don't care for #17. Piccolo happens to be my second favourite character in the show, though I don't really expect all too much out of him in this event. The U6 tournament mollified my expectations for him in these types of events. I'm questioning what the degree of #17's screen time will entail. Does it end in the next episode or does it continue for many more afterwards? Who all will be offered up to give his participation more meaning and at what expense to other fighters? If his participation is allowed to siphon off almost an entire universe like Goku and Vegeta's did, then I yes, I will take grievance with him -- especially seeing as how the fighter who is hyped up to be the equal of Goku, Freeza, may have likely earned even less (some of which is attributable to his pension for slow torture, granted).
As far as I'm awaire every member of U7 gets a leats a fraction of token screen time each episode. Since our focus is going back to Goku in 104' 17 is likely ending his main slot here. Piccolo will likely get today with Gohan and the ran and file against whats left of U10 then be held back for the U6 namekians and Roshi is getting the slot in 105.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:i barely see anyone calling these characters their favorites while i see A LOT of people calling 17 their favorite regardless of how little screen time he got in Z, and after last episode i've seen nothing but positive feedback towards him so i'm quit surprised how you decided to attack his presence when other characters who have been just introduced are shoved in our faces more than him, your whole comment felt like you are threatened by 17's role in the arc for some reason because you're scared he will take the shine from your favorites which is ridiculous because one can hope his favorite does well without talking down another character. also expect to see a lot more of him, he's not going anywhere anytime soon.
This seems more like confirmation bias than anything else. I've seen hardly anyone even acknowledge #17's existence before Super came along and picked him back up. Plenty of people wanted Raditz to come back due to his status as Goku's brother and Nappa is loved by a lot of casual fans due to his TeamFourStar portrayal. Your love for #17 is clouding your judgement, he wasn't a popular character before Super.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:05 pm

Doctor. wrote:
This seems more like confirmation bias than anything else. I've seen hardly anyone even acknowledge #17's existence before Super came along and picked him back up. Plenty of people wanted Raditz to come back due to his status as Goku's brother and Nappa is loved by a lot of casual fans due to his TeamFourStar portrayal. Your love for #17 is clouding your judgement, he wasn't a popular character before Super.
Yeah, Ratings prove that japanese fans dont care about 17, and also one of the latest polls which had 17 rank in last place(Question was which fighters you want to cheer and wish luck? iirc ).

17 is only popular in the west.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:
Lionel wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote: Yeah you made it clear you don't care for him and i actually don't care about that at all, i know 17 came back because people wanted to see him in action again, characters don't comeback like that out of no where Toei knows who people want to see, and after last episode i've seen nothing but positive feedback towards him so i'm quit surprised how you decided to attack his presence when other characters who have been just introduced are shoved in our faces more than him, your whole comment felt like you are threatened by 17's role in the arc for some reason because you're scared he will take the shine from your favorites which is ridiculous because one can hope his favorite does well without talking down another character. also expect to see a lot more of him, he's not going anywhere anytime soon.
I've been in the fan base for years and i know that i constantly see people mentioning 17 and wanting him to join as a z fighter, there has been even fan pages and blogs dedicated to that not to mention he WAS NEVER FORGOTTEN by fans he was always relevant in Japan with db hero games, merchandise and fanarts, also it's quit OBVIOUS that 17 will do more than most people on the team, he's one of the most promoted and hyped up characters not to mention one of the strongest characters on the team, Toriyama brought him back and gave him an amazing power boost and he obviously has more plans for him what he did on episode 102 was just a warm up, you will see on your own and i'm sure deep down you know it too otherwise you wouldn't have attacked his presence out of everyone who has been shoved on our faces more than he was.
You mean on these forums and on the Internet in general, yes? Because I thought Toei's chief market was the local Japanese populace. I can understand advocates existing in the international fandom, and Toei would be smart to pay at least some heed to their interests, but I'm looking for something that's more local in the country of origin -- maybe some popularity polls or Q&A with local Japanese fans citing their desire for him to return. The closest example I can personally find to a direct acknowledgement of which characters the Japanese populace prefers was taken back during the release of the Kazenban Official Guide in 2004 -- #17 wasn't even in the top fifteen. General merchandise doesn't really suffice as it attempts to market as many characters as possible who happen to be of interest to the fans.

To "Lord Freeza": I said prior to this arc. What you're describing with the two developmental episodes fit squarely in the "Tournament of Power" slot. Goku was involved in the recruitment of most fighters in episodes leading up to the event. #17's general involvement wasn't lost on me, but the exact amount and quality of it was. Did anyone anticipate him being comparable to Gohan prior to Toshio's social media post? Goku's usage of SSJB against Krillin would likely have been grounds for dubiety in judging #17's power, albeit his comment of restricting some of his power differentiates him from Krillin as the stronger fighter between the two of them.

A fraction of token screen time? Would it be presumptuous of me to think that this statement applies to most of the remaining competitors on top of U7's characters? If it extends to the rest then this hearkens back to the grievance of the battle royale's consequential fighting almost entirely involving a few members from Universe 6 and 7. We didn't see all sixty fighters attack U7 simultaneously. There have been sporadic encounters, but some of it has been instigated by U7 themselves. I find it hard to believe that this would be the justification for all except two eliminations, as of now, coming from a small handful of fighters in U6/7.

ssjprodigy
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjprodigy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:23 pm

GUYS stop arguing over your favorite characters and focus on whats REALLY IMPORTANT the homie Gowasu is about to get bodied out of existence by the son of the man that saved his life, thats foul rip gowasu may you find peace and reconcile with zamasu one day:cry: