Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:24 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Ajay wrote:Note how One Piece actually has enough footage to show off, while Super has nothing. You know, just in case you needed a reminder about the production.
Given the special is ToP related, would it not be wise to not show anything? I don't think this is production thing, remember they have been pretty hush about this arc. All the marketing etc has been controlled.
Maybe, maybe not, keep in mind that it could be that they've been working on it for a few weeks now, but no action is in a state that's showable yet so they decided to just not show anything. It's probably production related, but it could be just a choice I guess. Even if things come down to the wire in typical Super fashion the special could still turn out great depending on who is on it and just how long they each had.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:27 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Ajay wrote:Note how One Piece actually has enough footage to show off, while Super has nothing. You know, just in case you needed a reminder about the production.
Given the special is ToP related, would it not be wise to not show anything? I don't think this is production thing, remember they have been pretty hush about this arc. All the marketing etc has been controlled.
Maybe, maybe not, keep in mind that it could be that they've been working on it for a few weeks now, but no action is in a state that's showable yet so they decided to just not show anything. It's probably production related, but it could be just a choice I guess. Even if things come down to the wire in typical Super fashion the special could still turn out great depending on who is on it and just how long they each had.
But showing anything would spoil what is come from episodes between now and then. Unlike OP, DBS has no Manga where people know what is coming. Especially since the Vjump tease may not be Goku's final version of his form so if they showcase any of Goku vs Jiren it would ruin that, add the fact with the 2ch post that Goku gains his form in 24/9, this actually makes a lot of sense.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Not much to get out of the PV. I just hope they planned this out properly and put the appropriate amount of resources in this TV special.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: But showing anything would spoil what is come from episodes between now and then. Unlike OP, DBS has no Manga where people know what is coming. Especially since the Vjump tease may not be Goku's final version of his form so if they showcase any of Goku vs Jiren it would ruin that, add the fact with the 2ch post that Goku gains his form in 24/9, this actually makes a lot of sense.
True, but one of the producers already said that the special marks the beginning of Goku and Jiren's fight, so showing some generic action between the two should be fine, instead we got a clip from the opening of them fighting.
I'm not saying it's impossible that the reason they didn't show anything is because they chose not to, but I think it's more likely that nothing is ready to be shown just yet, but that also doesn't mean that things will turn out badly.
Basically I expect some good stuff and a lot of standard stuff, but with a consistent art quality. I would not be surprised to see Yamamuro do plenty of corrections for this.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:31 pm

That's just reaching. They're outright spoiling the new form as they've done in the past, so there's no point in not showing actual footage.
It's as Ajay says, it's simply not finished.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Given the special is ToP related, would it not be wise to not show anything? I don't think this is production thing, remember they have been pretty hush about this arc. All the marketing etc has been controlled.
I doubt it - Japan doesn't typically operate like that. We know Goku vs Jiren is going to happen, we know there's what appears to be a new form; there's not a whole lot they couldn't show, I imagine. Besides, a PV is supposed to hype things up - Toei aren't shy about showing some clips here and there if they can - just look at the opening! I can't imagine it's for any reason other than that things aren't complete yet. It'll still be great, no doubt, but like any long stretch of action animation, staff are usually up against it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: But showing anything would spoil what is come from episodes between now and then. Unlike OP, DBS has no Manga where people know what is coming. Especially since the Vjump tease may not be Goku's final version of his form so if they showcase any of Goku vs Jiren it would ruin that, add the fact with the 2ch post that Goku gains his form in 24/9, this actually makes a lot of sense.
What you are saying makes total sense. However from history we can conclude that this has probably more to do with production rather than them not wanting to show us anything. Still as Arched said, I wouldn't worry, It is still far out and may have some slow animators working on it :)

Also, it will come a week later than the One piece double episodes, we may get some type of footage after next week's episode.
Last edited by Sodhi on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:37 pm

Ajay wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Given the special is ToP related, would it not be wise to not show anything? I don't think this is production thing, remember they have been pretty hush about this arc. All the marketing etc has been controlled.
I doubt it - Japan doesn't typically operate like that. We know Goku vs Jiren is going to happen, we know there's what appears to be a new form; there's not a whole lot they couldn't show, I imagine. Besides, a PV is supposed to hype things up - Toei aren't shy about showing some clips here and there if they can - just look at the opening! I can't imagine it's for any reason other than that things aren't complete yet. It'll still be great, no doubt, but like any long stretch of action animation, staff are usually up against it.
Basically.
There could be animators that have been working on stuff for a few weeks, but none of their work has even been scanned yet so even if plenty of key frames are done they literally have no animation to show.
So yeah, it's probably all down to production.
I pretty much expect this to be the equivalent of a really good episode of Super and maybe a great one mashed together, but definitely not actual TV special quality. I think it's pretty likely that at the very least Yamamuro comes in to make sure no really off model shots get through.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:53 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: True, but one of the producers already said that the special marks the beginning of Goku and Jiren's fight, so showing some generic action between the two should be fine, instead we got a clip from the opening of them fighting.
I'm not saying it's impossible that the reason they didn't show anything is because they chose not to, but I think it's more likely that nothing is ready to be shown just yet, but that also doesn't mean that things will turn out badly.
Basically I expect some good stuff and a lot of standard stuff, but with a consistent art quality. I would not be surprised to see Yamamuro do plenty of corrections for this.
Ajay wrote: I doubt it - Japan doesn't typically operate like that. We know Goku vs Jiren is going to happen, we know there's what appears to be a new form; there's not a whole lot they couldn't show, I imagine. Besides, a PV is supposed to hype things up - Toei aren't shy about showing some clips here and there if they can - just look at the opening! I can't imagine it's for any reason other than that things aren't complete yet. It'll still be great, no doubt, but like any long stretch of action animation, staff are usually up against it.
Sodhi wrote: What you are saying makes total sense. However from history we can conclude that this has probably more to do with production rather than them not wanting to show us anything. Still as Arched said, I wouldn't worry, It is still far out and may have some slow animators working on it :)

Also, it will come a week later than the One piece double episodes, we may get some type of footage after next week's episode.
Well, you guys certainly do know more than me when it comes to this stuff and I guess it makes sense to trust what history has taught us, fair enough!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:20 pm

Ajay wrote:Special PV is out. The 'specials' are seemingly just double episodes. One Piece covering Sanji vs Luffy, and Super detailing the start of Goku vs Jiren.

Note how One Piece actually has enough footage to show off, while Super has nothing. You know, just in case you needed a reminder about the production.
That preview video sure was a great birthday present. Thanks, Toei.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:30 pm

So, any guesses on supervisors for the "special"?
I'm gonna guess;
Karasawa, Yamamuro, Manabe and Ono. On top of that I think it's possible we see Onishi or Nashizawa as well, maybe even one of them instead of Yamamuro.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Toei Phils as well.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:32 pm

-Off topic-

Just watched One Piece - Episode of Blue TV Special. It was worth the hype. Every bit of it!

The character designs are great, no ugly white highlights in characters skins, it has blood when it needs, good coloring, cool storyboard, great animation scenes from begining to end, DBZ sound effects...basically how I wished our next Movie/TV Special would be. :(

My two favourite cuts:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Oh, so the special is a two-parter DBS episode? Similar to how the final fight between Naruto and Sasuke was a two-parter? That's neat. Hopefully it'll be a spectacle.

Also, this new form looks wild. Really curious as to how it'll look in action.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:50 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Oh, so the special is a two-parter DBS episode? Similar to how the final fight between Naruto and Sasuke was a two-parter? That's neat. Hopefully it'll be a spectacle.

Also, this new form looks wild. Really curious as to how it'll look in action.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
as an offtopic, I was really expecting something more elaborated, it's just base form goku with (apparently) the hair moving with the air and gray eyes...
Hopefully that's a 1 time transformation, it would be lame to see goku transforming to that form from now on

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:24 am

ArchedThunder wrote:So, any guesses on supervisors for the "special"?
I'm gonna guess;
Karasawa, Yamamuro, Manabe and Ono. On top of that I think it's possible we see Onishi or Nashizawa as well, maybe even one of them instead of Yamamuro.
Karasawa and Yamamuro are definitely involved in this. Karasawa's absence since Episode 94 is most certainly tied into him doing some fine tuning of the TV special. In fact, his absence from Episode 72 may actually be related to him working on TV special in its very early stages. And if Karasawa is significantly involved in the TV special, working as the Animation supervisor and/or Key animator, it could imply they've been planning this TV special for a while and the production on it may have began as early as December of last year.

And of course, Yamamuro is always significantly involved in any major modern Dragon Ball animated project in some capacity. For better or for worse.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:32 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
I'm gonna guess;
Karasawa and Yamamuro are definitely involved in this. Karasawa's absence since Episode 94 is most certainly tied into him doing some fine tuning of the TV special. In fact, his absence from Episode 72 may actually be related to him working on TV special in its very early stages. And if Karasawa is significantly involved in the TV special, working as the Animation supervisor and/or Key animator, it could imply they've been planning this TV special for a while and the production on it may have began as early as December of last year.

And of course, Yamamuro is always significantly involved in any major modern Dragon Ball animated project in some capacity. For better or for worse.
I hope you are right. If they have really been working for almost a year on this Goku vs Jiren fight then it will definitely be awesome. Could we really get something like 30 minutes worth of pure animation and fight if they have been working on it all this time, or am I just too hopeful? I really want this "special" to be awesome. I just watched Episode of East Blue and I wished we could get something as good for Dragon Ball.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:21 am

emperior wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
I'm gonna guess;

I hope you are right. If they have really been working for almost a year on this Goku vs Jiren fight then it will definitely be awesome. Could we really get something like 30 minutes worth of pure animation and fight if they have been working on it all this time, or am I just too hopeful? I really want this "special" to be awesome. I just watched Episode of East Blue and I wished we could get something as good for Dragon Ball.
Episode Of East Blue was fantastic. It had such wonderful direction and great storyboarding and you could tell a lot of time went into producing that TV special. I just hope the double episode/TV special of Dragon Ball Super is the same case. For whatever reason, Dragon Ball in the most recent years has never had the luxury of having a large pool of (talented) animators to choose from like other shows under Toei's umbrella have. PreCure and One Piece always get the pick of the litter when it comes to animators, while Dragon Ball in the last few years has had to mostly feed off of scraps. But then again, Super is basically toy commercial that was rushed out of the gate to squeeze out more more from the IP, so it's not all that surprising that the main aim was to get something on TV as soon as possible regardless of its quality.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:51 pm

So since we're getting a TV special that actually is a double episode, could we expect oustanding animation and art?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Noah wrote:So since we're getting a TV special that actually is a double episode, could we expect oustanding animation and art?
Considering it will be 30 episodes since the beginning of the arc, most of the episodes were outsourced, they used a lot of bank animation and the pace has been very slow, I think we have all the rights to expect very good animation from the two special episodes until the end of the tournament.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:33 pm

Noah wrote:So since we're getting a TV special that actually is a double episode, could we expect oustanding animation and art?
I think at minimum we get one booru entry, at max maybe like 5. For reference One Piece episode East Blue has 16 clips on the booru. If we get 8 or more I will be legitimately surprised.
At the very least I expect consistent art and probably a fair amount of Yamamuro corrections.
I'm hoping it's at least pretty similar to the Trunks edition of F in terms of what we get, though with a little bit more over the top stuff.