Anime SSB VS Manga SSB - Which one is the best?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Anime SSB VS Manga SSB - Which one is the best?

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:01 pm

We know that the Super Saiyan Blue of the anime has some differences from the SSB manga, considering concepts, how they work, and more ... What version of each media is your favorite?

First, the main differences:

Manga SSB:

- Initially, it is not a form that can be activated more than once. After being used more than once, user power drops to 10% of its original strength
- It takes a considerable amount of energy to maintain and can not be recommended for long battles
- With hard training, it can be activated more than once and can have its strength maximized by being used in short bursts (as Vegeta did against Black, changing between SSG and SSB instantly)
- All the overflowing power of transformation can be contained within the body, granting a gigantic UP in user force

Anime SSB:

- It is a transformation that spends more energy than SSJ and SSG, but can be maintained for long periods of time without harming the user
- Can be activated more than once without any problem
- Can be combined with Kaioken because of its calm mind and its great control of Ki
- Can also be used in short bursts, but apparently the power of transformation does not change

Which is better?

I like the SSB in the manga, because in addition to being used a few times due to the great energy expenditure, it can also be improved to make Goku and Vegeta have new ways to increase power (like SSB mastered)

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Anime SSB VS Manga SSB - Which one is the best?

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Hmm. Manga over Anime for the most part, but I prefer Kaioken over Mastered as a powerup for it.

There won't be much of a difference soon, they're starting to 'import" manga characteristics over to the anime, like the stamina drain and switching between God and Blue.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Full power/Mastered Super Saiyan Blue.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:09 am

Manga. There's more weight to the form because it is treated as the series' strongest transformation to date and it's used more tastefully in the manga whereas the anime spams it constantly to the point it's not special anymore. And while getting stronger with calm concentration isn't new in the series, it's also refreshing to see that sort of thing again instead of raging out. And visually, it looks a lot better, too. Kaioken Blue is still pretty cool though.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:13 am

Manga ssb since it isn't just another super Saiyan transformation.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:15 am

Manga because at least The form is consistent with The drawbacks & advantage & i hope the manga dont spammed that form for the most trivial things,I'm looking at you Top anime & the form feels more special here & unique
    Even the aura looks awesome,the best one in the series [spoiler]ImageImage[/spoiler]
    Last edited by The gr on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Mostly active on discord.

JulieYBM
    Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:26 am

I like the idea of the form being risky to use willy-nilly, so the user has to fight with their base form to first get a grip on their opponent's skill and rhythm.
    She/Her
    🍉🏳️‍⚧️

JazzMazz
    I Live Here
    Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:34 am

JulieYBM wrote:I like the idea of the form being risky to use willy-nilly, so the user has to fight with their base form to first get a grip on their opponent's skill and rhythm.
    Though I to like the idea that SSB is a form that isn't great for long fights, there is literally no reason why he should fight in his base form against opponents he knows will be able to easily subdue him in it. Using his base was only shown to have advantages when training, as it allows them to better pick up on their own faults and shortcomings.

Though I could see Goku in particular messing around in his base form against a weaker opponent, he should at least transform into a Super Saiyan to gain the power-up required to fight on more equal footing with stronger opponents like Toppo or Jiren. Besides, if the opponent is way out of their league in base, then wouldn't it be impossible for them pick up on their skill and rhythm if they can just casually be tossed aside?

Basako
    Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:38 am

I like the mastered concept a lot, so I go with the manga.
    Heno heno kappa!

JulieYBM
    Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:05 am

JazzMazz wrote:
    JulieYBM wrote:I like the idea of the form being risky to use willy-nilly, so the user has to fight with their base form to first get a grip on their opponent's skill and rhythm.
    Though I to like the idea that SSB is a form that isn't great for long fights, there is literally no reason why he should fight in his base form against opponents he knows will be able to easily subdue him in it. Using his base was only shown to have advantages when training, as it allows them to better pick up on their own faults and shortcomings.

Though I could see Goku in particular messing around in his base form against a weaker opponent, he should at least transform into a Super Saiyan to gain the power-up required to fight on more equal footing with stronger opponents like Toppo or Jiren. Besides, if the opponent is way out of their league in base, then wouldn't it be impossible for them pick up on their skill and rhythm if they can just casually be tossed aside?
    Using the other Super Saiyan forms are dumb for storytelling reasons and just a waste of ki. Gokuu and Vegeta should've kept their Super Saiyan God-level power in their base forms like they had during the Golden Freeza arc. Making Blue a delicate form that can only be used once makes it much easier to structure a fight by providing clear boundaries to work within.
    She/Her
    🍉🏳️‍⚧️

JazzMazz
    I Live Here
    Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:14 am

JulieYBM wrote:
    JazzMazz wrote:

Using the other Super Saiyan forms are dumb for storytelling reasons and just a waste of ki. Gokuu and Vegeta should've kept their Super Saiyan God-level power in their base forms like they had during the Golden Freeza arc. Making Blue a delicate form that can only be used once makes it much easier to structure a fight by providing clear boundaries to work within.
    Regular Super Saiyan doesn't waste Ki, it has literally no strain on their bodies, the entire Cell arc revolved around them mastering the form. I agree with you about them maintaining the Super Saiyan God power in their base forms and SSG having boundaries. The boundaries thing is something that they covered at a decent length in the manga's interpretation of the Universe 6 tournament and I would have liked for it to be continued instead of being discarded during the Goku Black Arc.

JulieYBM
    Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:41 pm

JazzMazz wrote:[
    Regular Super Saiyan doesn't waste Ki, it has literally no strain on their bodies, the entire Cell arc revolved around them mastering the form. I agree with you about them maintaining the Super Saiyan God power in their base forms and SSG having boundaries. The boundaries thing is something that they covered at a decent length in the manga's interpretation of the Universe 6 tournament and I would have liked for it to be continued instead of being discarded during the Goku Black Arc.
    The problem still lies in the use of Super Saiyan at all, though. Why are we going to regularly have multiple transformations in a single fight? One is enough. It really muddles the fights to break out into two transformations. Toyo-tarou is handling it the best he can with how he had Vegeta switch back and forth between God and Blue, but it's still adding fake calories to these fights. I have the same problem with the Majin Buu arc, too.
    She/Her
    🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:48 pm

I'd go with the manga. In the anime, SSJB is used far too often for my taste, while in the manga it's used sparingly, and with that, makes the transformation more effective within the narrative. And when it used, it's very central to the plot.

I do appreciate that both mediums take unique approaches to make the transformation (SSJB) still applicable in the story when confronted with stronger enemies. The manga went with route of mastering the SSJB form but preventing any ki from leaking out allowing Goku and Vegeta to fight at 100%. And the anime went the route of having perfect ki control and being a calm transformation, allowing Goku to stack a dangerous technique like Kaioken on top of SSJB and giving the form a huge boost in power and speed when Goku may need it in certain situations.

Meshack
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Hmm. Manga over Anime for the most part, but I prefer Kaioken over Mastered as a powerup for it.

There won't be much of a difference soon, they're starting to 'import" manga characteristics over to the anime, like the stamina drain and switching between God and Blue.
    Gokuh said the form drains his stamina bad in the anime to Hit when Hit asked Gokuh if he was gonna transform.

Meshack
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:29 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
    JulieYBM wrote:
    JazzMazz wrote: Though I to like the idea that SSB is a form that isn't great for long fights, there is literally no reason why he should fight in his base form against opponents he knows will be able to easily subdue him in it. Using his base was only shown to have advantages when training, as it allows them to better pick up on their own faults and shortcomings.

Super Saiyan consumes their ki but not bad like Blue.

Duo
    I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:57 pm

The anime abuses the concept of the transformation to such a degree that it only retains value for visual flair. The manga figured out a way to make it legitimately important to the plot.

SsjBx10 Kaio-ken is still amazing beyond reason, though.

JazzMazz
    I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:42 am

Meshack wrote:
    JazzMazz wrote:
    JulieYBM wrote:
    Yeah, thats a retcon I'm not particularly fond of, since they literally had an entire arc around the form not using ki excessively.

Meshack
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:00 am

JazzMazz wrote:
    Meshack wrote:
    JazzMazz wrote: Regular Super Saiyan doesn't waste Ki, it has literally no strain on their bodies, the entire Cell arc revolved around them mastering the form. I agree with you about them maintaining the Super Saiyan God power in their base forms and SSG having boundaries. The boundaries thing is something that they covered at a decent length in the manga's interpretation of the Universe 6 tournament and I would have liked for it to be continued instead of being discarded during the Goku Black Arc.
    Yeah, thats a retcon I'm not particularly fond of, since they literally had an entire arc around the form not using ki excessively.
    It's not a retcon. It wasn't stated before that Super Saiyan no longer drains their stamina when that's kinda impossible since Super Saiyan is still a transformation that draws power. Super Saiyan Full Power just feels natural and doesn't consume as much ki when you first achieve the form

JazzMazz
    I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:05 am

Meshack wrote:
    JazzMazz wrote:
    Meshack wrote: Super Saiyan consumes their ki but not bad like Blue.
    It's not a retcon. It wasn't stated before that Super Saiyan no longer drains their stamina when that's kinda impossible since Super Saiyan is still a transformation that draws power. Super Saiyan Full Power just feels natural and doesn't consume as much ki when you first achieve the form
    They literally made Super Saiyan their base form, to the point where there were no negative consequences of staying in it what so ever. It directly stated that the form is no long stamina draining and there are no negative reprcussions of staying of transforming or maintaining the form.

mute_proxy
    Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:14 am

JazzMazz wrote:They literally made Super Saiyan their base form, to the point where there were no negative consequences of staying in it what so ever. It directly stated that the form is no long stamina draining and there are no negative reprcussions of staying of transforming or maintaining the form.
    That was never stated. They just got used to the form to the point where the repercussions were minimal. Vegeta does state it's to minimize the strain during battles.