Rate the Tournament of Power Episodes, Part 1: Episodes 97-106

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Rate the Tournament of Power Episodes, Part 1: Episodes 97-106

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:52 pm

Since we have a two-week period before Dragon Ball Super kicks up again, I thought it'd be interesting to make a thread for people to pour their thoughts into how they feel the tournament has gone thus far and any overall thoughts on what's good and what could be done better moving forward.

Episode 97: Technically only the second half of this episode was the tournament, but it should still be included. In a bubble, this episode is fine. However, when you take into account later episodes, this episode has some really weird writing decisions. Ganos leaps in to delay Goku, but episode 105 showed Ganos un-transformed is weaker than Roshi. 18 started sparring with Cocotte, but the next episode that fight somehow ended and 18 off-screen'd a bunny girl. Basil's re-used animation was also really obvious and in-your-face this episode.
-My Verdict: 7/10

Episode 98: One of the weaker episodes, in my opinion. The fighting wasn't too bad, and the re-used animation was less obvious than the previous episode. The final few minutes, particularly the erasure of Universe 9, was also very good. However, this episode was the start of this tournament's "artificial tension;" that is, opponents who are way weaker than Goku and Vegeta fighting them, forcing the writers to throw out as many excuses as they can to try and make it plausible/entertaining. This certainly isn't the worst episode of the arc, and if you don't mind the previously mentioned problem it's an entertaining episode.
-My Verdict: 6/10

Episode 99: My second-favorite episode of the arc. The opening with the characters letting the reality of the stakes for the tournament sink in was good. Botamo and Megetta teaming up was cool. The episode was mainly about 18 and Krillin, and it made the episode quite enjoyable in my opinion. The only two issues I had were that this was the first episode that the emptiness of the arena became apparent to me and Frost's appearance felt a little forced. Showing Frost in the background or foreshadowing his sneak attack during the episode would've been better, in my mind.
-My Verdict: 8/10

Episode 100: The first half of this episode was fine. It wasn't particularly great, but it wasn't bad either. The second half was a massive Broly tribute, plain and simple. You're likely going to either love it or hate it. I happen to be part of the latter on this occasion.
-My Verdict: 7/10 (first half), 3/10 (second half)

Episode 101: In terms of action and character development for Kale/Caulifla, this episode was pretty good. Goku and 18 teaming up was cool, and 17 sparring with Kahseral was good fun. However, the writing in this episode had some massive oddities. The Goku "dropping his guard" meme was basically raised to the point where it even happens off-screen, and there is no logical explanation for why Caulifla took all of those energy attacks in her base form. I recently learned from perucho1990 that Hiroshi Yamaguchi wrote this episode, so I'll have to keep my eye on him for future episodes.

Episode 102: The first half of this episode was easily the weakest part of the tournament so far, in my opinion. The transformation sequence being done one-and-a-half times and Helles re-using the same two animations was incredibly tedious to sit through. The second half sort of made up for it, though. I found 17 to be fairly entertaining and his fight with Kakunsa was good.
-My Verdict: 2/10 (first half), 7/10 (second half)

Episode 103: The first half of this episode was also fairly weak. The fights were pretty cool, but the Kamikaze Fireballs retreated after Rozie lost to Goku, making it feel sort of pointless. I still feel that Gohan vs. Botamo is the worst fight in the tournament thus far. The second half of the episode was good, as Obuni had a fairly interesting technique. I wish he and his buddy vs. Gohan and Piccolo had been the entire episode and not just the second half, though.
-My Verdict: 5/10 (first half), 7/10 (second half)

Episode 104: The best episode in the tournament, in my opinion. Hit vs. Dyspo was cool, Kunshi had a cool ability, and seeing Hit's strategic mind was entertaining. The one blemish on this episode was the lack of an in-universe explanation for why Goku only just now, in episode 104 of the show, decided to bring back Super Saiyan God. I can certainly think of several out-of-universe reasons, though...
-My Verdict: 9/10

Episode 105: Another good episode overall. Roshi's fights with Darkori and Ganos were both good. His speech to Krillin and Goku was good and seeing Goku's emotional side is always great. However, I found Roshi's "fight" with Caway to be absurd and I personally have an issue with Ganos's strength in relation to Roshi's and Goku's.

Episode 106: The latest episode wasn't bad, but it had a lot of issues involving the writing. Hiroshi Yamaguchi also wrote this episode, not helping his case in my eyes. I found the first half with Gohan and Piccolo trying to survive the snipers' onslaught mostly entertaining, but the second Goku and Vegeta entered the fray things got jumbled. Very few scenes flowed well in the second half of this episode, with the exception of when Tien defeated Hermila. Having Tien get eliminated in the episode immediately following the one that made Roshi look awesome probably wasn't the best choice, either.
-My Verdict: 7/10 (first half), 4/10 (second half)

Overall, I think the tournament has done pretty well, if you take into account the staff's limited resources and the lack of proper build-up for 90% of the new fighters. When the tournament puts in the effort and keeps an episode focused, such as with episode 104, it does quite well. Most of the animation has been fine and several of the fights have been entertaining. However, so far the tournament has also showcased a lot of the staff's limitations. Very few episodes have felt like we're truly in a battle royale. There's a constant lingering thought of fighters just waiting in line for their turn to jump in and fight Universe 7. The writing has also been extremely inconsistent between episodes, with some being fine and others leaving you scratching your head. Lastly, there's been a real lack of anyone feeling threatening to our main characters. Even characters with some slight build-up, like Kahseral, ended up being wiped out in the same episode they show up to fight. Moving forward, hopefully we can see the writers communicate with each other a little more effectively and the stakes raised so Universe 7 actually faces some adversity. Hopefully episode 107 with Frost will start that off on the right foot.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Re: Rate the Tournament of Power Episodes, Part 1: Episodes 97-106

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:16 pm

1. Episode 104 10/10
2. Episode 103 9/10
3. Episode 98 8/10
4. Episode 99 7/10
5. Episode 102 7/10
6. Episode 105 (first half was terrible and Roshi getting revived made the final scene less impactful) 6/10
7. Episode 106 6/10
8. Episode 100 (Kale's power scaling made no sense) 4/10
9. Episode 101 (don't like how 6 Pride Troopers got eliminated in one episode) 4/10
10. Episode 97 3/10

Tombstone1988 wrote:Since we have a two-week period before Dragon Ball Super kicks up again, I thought it'd be interesting to make a thread for people to pour their thoughts into how they feel the tournament has gone thus far and any overall thoughts on what's good and what could be done better moving forward.

Episode 97: Technically only the second half of this episode was the tournament, but it should still be included. In a bubble, this episode is fine. However, when you take into account later episodes, this episode has some really weird writing decisions. Ganos leaps in to delay Goku, but episode 105 showed Ganos un-transformed is weaker than Roshi. 18 started sparring with Cocotte, but the next episode that fight somehow ended and 18 off-screen'd a bunny girl. Basil's re-used animation was also really obvious and in-your-face this episode.
-My Verdict: 7/10

Episode 98: One of the weaker episodes, in my opinion. The fighting wasn't too bad, and the re-used animation was less obvious than the previous episode. The final few minutes, particularly the erasure of Universe 9, was also very good. However, this episode was the start of this tournament's "artificial tension;" that is, opponents who are way weaker than Goku and Vegeta fighting them, forcing the writers to throw out as many excuses as they can to try and make it plausible/entertaining. This certainly isn't the worst episode of the arc, and if you don't mind the previously mentioned problem it's an entertaining episode.

Episode 99: My second-favorite episode of the arc. The opening with the characters letting the reality of the stakes for the tournament sink in was good. Botamo and Megetta teaming up was cool. The episode was mainly about 18 and Krillin, and it made the episode quite enjoyable in my opinion. The only two issues I had were that this was the first episode that the emptiness of the arena became apparent to me and Frost's appearance felt a little forced. Showing Frost in the background or foreshadowing his sneak attack during the episode would've been better, in my mind.

Episode 100: The first half of this episode was fine. It wasn't particularly great, but it wasn't bad either. The second half was a massive Broly tribute, plain and simple. You're likely going to either love it or hate it. I happen to be part of the latter on this occasion.
-My Verdict: 7/10 (first half), 3/10 (second half)

Episode 101: In terms of action and character development for Kale/Caulifla, this episode was pretty good. Goku and 18 teaming up was cool, and 17 sparring with Kahseral was good fun. However, the writing in this episode had some massive oddities. The Goku "dropping his guard" meme was basically raised to the point where it even happens off-screen, and there is no logical explanation for why Caulifla took all of those energy attacks in her base form. I recently learned from perucho1990 that Hiroshi Yamaguchi wrote this episode, so I'll have to keep my eye on him for future episodes.

Episode 102: The first half of this episode was easily the weakest part of the tournament so far, in my opinion. The transformation sequence being done one-and-a-half times and Helles re-using the same two animations was incredibly tedious to sit through. The second half sort of made up for it, though. I found 17 to be fairly entertaining and his fight with Kakunsa was good.
-My Verdict: 2/10 (first half), 7/10 (second half)

Episode 103: The first half of this episode was also fairly weak. The fights were pretty cool, but the Kamikaze Fireballs retreated after Rozie lost to Goku, making it feel sort of pointless. I still feel that Gohan vs. Botamo is the worst fight in the tournament thus far. The second half of the episode was good, as Obuni had a fairly interesting technique. I wish he and his buddy vs. Gohan and Piccolo had been the entire episode and not just the second half, though.
-My Verdict: 5/10 (first half), 7/10 (second half)

Episode 104: The best episode in the tournament, in my opinion. Hit vs. Dyspo was cool, Kunshi had a cool ability, and seeing Hit's strategic mind was entertaining. The one blemish on this episode was the lack of an in-universe explanation for why Goku only just now, in episode 104 of the show, decided to bring back Super Saiyan God. I can certainly think of several out-of-universe reasons, though...
-My Verdict: 9/10

Episode 105: Another good episode overall. Roshi's fights with Darkori and Ganos were both good. His speech to Krillin and Goku was good and seeing Goku's emotional side is always great. However, I found Roshi's "fight" with Caway to be absurd and I personally have an issue with Ganos's strength in relation to Roshi's and Goku's.

Episode 106: The latest episode wasn't bad, but it had a lot of issues involving the writing. Hiroshi Yamaguchi also wrote this episode, not helping his case in my eyes. I found the first half with Gohan and Piccolo trying to survive the snipers' onslaught mostly entertaining, but the second Goku and Vegeta entered the fray things got jumbled. Very few scenes flowed well in the second half of this episode, with the exception of when Tien defeated Hermila. Having Tien get eliminated in the episode immediately following the one that made Roshi look awesome probably wasn't the best choice, either.
-My Verdict: 7/10 (first half), 4/10 (second half)

Overall, I think the tournament has done pretty well, if you take into account the staff's limited resources and the lack of proper build-up for 90% of the new fighters. When the tournament puts in the effort and keeps an episode focused, such as with episode 104, it does quite well. Most of the animation has been fine and several of the fights have been entertaining. However, so far the tournament has also showcased a lot of the staff's limitations. Very few episodes have felt like we're truly in a battle royale. There's a constant lingering thought of fighters just waiting in line for their turn to jump in and fight Universe 7. The writing has also been extremely inconsistent between episodes, with some being fine and others leaving you scratching your head. Lastly, there's been a real lack of anyone feeling threatening to our main characters. Even characters with some slight build-up, like Kahseral, ended up being wiped out in the same episode they show up to fight. Moving forward, hopefully we can see the writers communicate with each other a little more effectively and the stakes raised so Universe 7 actually faces some adversity. Hopefully episode 107 with Frost will start that off on the right foot.
I'm honestly not sure which one was the worst fight so far, Gohan vs Botamo or Roshi vs Caway.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Episode 97 ~~~ 7/10

A Decent Opening, Cool Moments and Nice Animations but felt not as Epic and having allot of the key players from other universe shown fighting, they showed a few but not all I felt they should have. So Ok.

Episode 98 ~~~ 6/10

The Fight with Universe 9 was Good and the Teamwork by Universe 9 was Impressive and I loved that. Just not much of a Fan of a WHOLE team being eliminated in 1 Episode, this should have been at least 2 episodes long IMO.

Episode 99 ~~~ 9/10

Solid Story, Solid Writing, Good pacing and Great showing of Krillian and his Skills!

Episode 100 ~~~ 8/10 (first half), 7/10 (second half)

The overall Episode was Great, I loved the Caulifla and Goku Fight, the 1st SSJ Male and 1st SSJ Female felt like History being Made and I loved the Moment. The 2nd Half was a Nice Fight and Homage to Broly and the change-up to Saying Son Goku was a Nice Touch. Only Negative was why Jiren's Attack did not Ring-Out Kale, I did not want Kale Ringed-Out, but it seemed like a Solid and Easy Ring out for Jiren, just did not get that, that is what brought down the 2nd half?! :crazy:

Episode 101 ~~~ 3/10

IMO the Worst Episode so Far in the ToP, HALF of Universe 11's Team Ringed Out in a Single Episode, Dumb down showing of power by Kahseral who I thought would be a heavy hitter in this Arc and just not a good showing by the Main Team with the Most Hope and Hype in this, just made me angry to see that happen! :cry:

SHOULD have been 2 Episodes Long IMO.

Only Saving Graces where Caulifla and Kale doing the heavy lifting and the Opening Act for Episode 102!

Episode 102 ~~~ 9.5/10 (first half), 6/10 (second half)

I BLOOD LOVED this Episode :clap: , this was the One I was Waiting For and it Made My Laugh so Hard and Cheer so Loud, Especially the 1st Half! A Nice but Funny Homage to Magical Girls and the Girls has styles of fighting I loved, Made me a Life Long Fan of theirs by this Episode, Proud to Have Loved this Episode So Much! :D :clap: :thumbup:

LOVED The Transformations Sequence and the Helles parts where funny and beautiful, Don't Care how many times they get reused you never loose looking at a lovely lady like that all day, LOL! ;)

2nd Half was a Good Fight, Loved Kakunsa fighting Style bringing the Wolverine from X-Men to the Dragon Ball Mythos. Loved the Teamwork by Kakunsa and Vikal and I give Credit to 17 for cool and clever fighting strategy, they both Brought this ToP Up to the Next level after the MASSIVE Disappointment that was Episode 101!

Only Downside was Kakunsa and Vikal being Ringed out sooner then I thought, but that happens, but mostly I felt this fight again should have been 2 episodes long, 1/2 of an episode was WAY to fast!

Episode 103 ~~~ 10/10 (first half), 8/10 (second half)

Easily the BEST Part of the ToP for me, Ribrianne showing she is the Real Deal and Rozie showing she was not a light weight either in the 1st Half! Also I FINALLY got to see some Smart Ring Thinking by Jimeze to get away from the Edge instead of fighting on it like so many hand up to this point, Yikes! :crazy:

Gohan in the 2nd half was Great, Epic Fight with U10 and an Honorable Fight as well, the Pendant moment was key in the weight of this ToP!

Episode 104~~~ 5/10

Not a Bad Episode, but to Much talking by Dyspo on How His Powers Work, I just did not get all the talking but still a solid fight. Good Teamwork by Dyspo and Kunshi as well made this a nice episode!

Episode 105 ~~~ 9.5/10

Easily one of the Best in the ToP so Far, an Emotional Ride and Homage to the Original Dragon Ball when Master Roshi was King and shows he still can be! Also, showing Sage Like Skill and Wisdom can outmatch power and they way they explained it was Nicely done!

Only 0.5 was taken away cause the Calway match was not to all my likely.

Episode 106 ~~~ 7/10

Like this More then I thought, Tien was Boss and a Nice Double Take-down and the Team of Sniping by Hermila and Prum was Nicely Done and Made them a Major Threat! Again Universe 2 Representing Well!
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Episode 97: 7/10. Solid start, most captured the feel of being an all-out brawl, while later episodes used the shifting terrain to become a series of disconnected one-on-ones. Basil was surprise MVP, but Nink's scene was lame and kick-started the tournament's worst trend of Goku letting his guard down and not powering up.

Episode 98: 8.5/10. For a team that was dead on arrival, Universe 9 put on a good show. It's just a shame they had to go up against the God Boys, but watching Goku and Vegeta systematically take them down and the Trio de Dangers' last stand was great to see. The best part was the ending, which was hauntingly effective.

Episode 99: 6/10. I like Krillin a lot and I remember being satisfied with this episode at the time I watched it, but doesn't hold up well to repeat viewing.

Episode 100: 9.5/10 Loved this episode, Idgaf. Caulifla vs Goku is probably my favourite fight of the tourney thus far, just because of the way they interact with each other. Kale's subsequent rampage brings it down a tad, but in light of 101 I'm better disposed to it than I initially was. Jiren stepping in was cool too, really wish they'd let him do stuff more.

Episode 101: 7/10 Where Kale was a drag on an otherwise great episode, here she was the highlight of an otherwise average one. She and Caulifla were great, 18 too for that matter. Solid girl power episode. Pride Troopers were disappointing, more Goku letting his guard down.

Episode 102: 6.5/10 Magical girls were fun, good fights, I loved the gag about attacking them while transforming. This should be higher, but they dragged out the first half too much with reused animation.

Episode 103: 9/10 While the magical girl stuff from last week ended anticlimactically, it was redeemed by Tuxedo Mask Yardrat. Second half was much, much better. Gohan vs Obni was a great fight, Obni himself might be one of the best bit characters in the series. Once again, the universe erasing at the end was effective, more so because of Gowasu.

Episode 104: 5/10 Probably my least favourite episode, which is a shame because there was a lot to like about it. Hit vs Dyspo was great, Kunshi handled himself well for an obvious fodder character and the implications of Toppo's speech at the end are interesting. But, the whole Super Saiyan God thing was totally mishandled. It made no sense, they didn't even try to explain it.

Episode 105: 10/10 If you told me before it started that Master Roshi would have the best showing out of the Tournament of Power, I would have scoffed at you. But god damn, the old boy pulled it off. First half was ok, but everything from his fight with Ganos to Goku desperately trying to revive him was top-tier stuff. More like this please.

Episode 106: 7.5/10. Poor Tien. He really got the short end of the stick here. But his charge on the sniper was pretty cool,the first half of the episode was tense, and the sniper combo was interesting and unique. Goku and Vegeta didn't need to be involved.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:05 pm

-Episode 97 (start of tournament): 7/10. This one felt like a battle royale unlike later episodes.

-Episode 98 (universe 9): 8/10. Good action throughout. I found Hop quite amusing somehow.

-Episode 99 (Krillin): 7/10. Krillin does his thing with 18 but drops his guard at the end just like every universe 7 warrior.

-Episode 100 (Caulifla and Kale): 4/10. Caulifla was fine, but Kale was irritating. Ironically, Kale's fight was better than Caulifla's. Krillin was chewed out bad.

-Episode 101 (Gay Pride Troopers): 6/10. Not a fan of the Pride Troopers in general, but at least they're not Kale.

-Episode 102 (universe 2): 7/10. I didn't mind the reused animation (Helles' trademark pose aside), but the episode was funny. 17 stole the show.

-Episode 103 (universe 2, Botamo, and universe 10): 7/10. The second half was better than the first, and I enjoyed Obuni.

-Episode 104 (Hit, Dyspo, and Kunshi): 9/10. Hit stole the show. I enjoyed Dyspo and Kunshi as well. Super Saiyan God was unnecessary.

-Episode 105 (Master Roshi): 8/10. It justified for me Roshi's participation in the tournament.

-Episode 106 (snipers): 5/10. Interesting concepts, enemies, and highlighted Piccolo's smarts in battle, but too much stupidity from other characters and was also boring.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:37 pm

Overall I'd give it a 5/10. So far we haven't gotten any memorable choreographed fights and most of the new characters and copies of each other with 0 personality.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:52 am

Not a good start to the tournament, the episode was poorly directed, Goku was a complete idiot and the pacing was all over the place. I don't mind them not using Blue all the time, but I feel like going from base to Blue is just poor strategy. A bad way to start the tournament.
Verdict:1/5 A bad episode

Liked some of the teamwork stuff, but I couldn't get invested in any of the fights due to how little focus their was. visually and directorially decent, but nothing to run about. Holding back is getting annoying and is making me dislike Goku and Vegeta more than I already do. Outside of being an improvement over last episode in every way, I would say it's only marginally better and is still pretty dull due to the lack of focus.
Verdict:2/5 Approaching proficient

Though I felt the opponents in the episode were a little underwhelming, I really enjoyed the team dynamic and the universes reacting to the first erasure was nice. Again, I felt like this episode should have been more focused on Kuririn and 18, because everything else just seems kind of distracting and doesn't seem like it'll get any resolution. Aside from the slow and unfocused first half, the second was pretty decent outside of Kuririn getting eliminated, which I looked comical in hindisight, like seriously, what was that. Visually, the first half wasn't that good, but the second really made up for it with Futoshi Highashides tag-team scene.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Verdict:3/5 solid episode

I'm going to be frank, I didn't enjoy this episode. Aside from Cabba, all the other universe 6 Saiyans really annoy me. Though the storyboard was generally pretty good, the lack of key animators on this episode(there were only 2) didn't really do it much justice(ha). I pretty much despised almost everything that happened in this episode(except for Hit, his definitely the saving grace of universe 6 thus far).The visual highlight of this episode was easily Goku's beatdown at Kale's hands in SS2 by Atsushi Nikaido.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Overall a very dull, boring and stupid episode with almost nothing to offer in terms of genuinely good content.
Verdict 1.1/5 Still better than 97 because at least stuff happened(stuff I didn't like) but still.

101: I still don't like Caulifla though and I found the Pride Troopers to be very boring this episode. The lack of focus and Goku and Toppo being terrible strategists are other things that brought this episode down. Visually, it was a very animated episode with the main highlight going to Kasheral vs 17 and 18 by Ken Otsuka(A class animator).
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Verdict: 2.25/5 Isn't outright bad, but the issues are very apparent and it's pretty dull for the most part

#102 Though I had my problems with some of the gags further hurting Goku and Toppo's character, and some of the gags not landing that well, I actually really enjoyed this episode namely for the second half. Visually it was very conservative from an animation stand-point(no-shit) and there really wasn't much unique animation that stuck out, but the storyboarding for this episode was miles better than anything we'd seen so far. 17 was great this episode, and the focus given to his fight made me actually invested in it.
Verdict:3.25 Solid episode despite a slightly sloggish first half, the second really pulled through for me.

The first half is pretty underwhelming, the only real thing I particularly liked from it was 17 being a badass and Goku being semi strategic. The second half is definitely where things picked up with Gohan vs Obuni. Though I liked the fight a lot, I feel like it could have been so much better if they had just focused on it through-out the entire episode and skipped over Gohan vs Botamo, which was terrible. Visually speaking, while the storyboarding and direction were completely lacklustre and even bad at points, there was some cool animation in this episode, the first half of the episode outside of this scene by Futoshi Highashide was Super underwhelming and very pedestrian.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
The second half of the episode is where things picked up with Naoki Tate animating the majority of Gohan vs Obuni. I would definitely say the second half of the episode has the most consistent good animation in the arc, if not in all of Super.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
Verdict: 2.75 Outside of the meh first half, there was pretty decent though overly rushed second that had some of the best animation the show has scene.

I'll be frank, I think this easily the best episode in the tournament. Though I really didn't like SSG being unexplained, it wasn't the main focus of the episode and it was only a minor issue due to the little impact it had on the episode as a whole. Hit was great and his fight with Dyspo was easily one of the best of this tournament due to them giving the audience time to devote themselves to the fight. The second half was also pretty cool, I think this is the only episode in this tournament where Goku actually acted competently. So, aside from the SSG thing being annoying, the script was rock solid and characters were used to there fullest(even Caulifla was less annoying than she usually was and actually displaying redeemable traits). Visually, there was no really special animation though there were a few stand-out scenes, most of it was pretty rudimentart, the art was nice but the thing that really elevated this episode visually was the direction and storyboarding which was easily the best in the tournament(even better than 102).
Verdict:3.5/5 Good episode, loved the focus placed on the fight, SSG was annoying but wasn't relevant enough to be a detriment to the episode.

I'm actually slightly mixed on this episode. While I really enjoyed Roshi doing stuff, I felt that some of the pacing and scripting could have been better at points. I enjoyed Roshi examining the battle-field, it fit in really well with what he was trying to do by eliminating enemies that could become troublesome for them later on. His fight with Caway, wasn't that good and I very much preferred his battle with Darkori was interesting, if cut a little short. Roshi's battle with Ganoss was mixed for me,I liked the basic idea of Roshi out-predicting Ganoss, it shows how Roshi may be able to hold his own with powerfull but less experienced warriors, but I didn't enjoy how easily he was winning at the beginning and how he won could have been better explained. The student speech was a little weird, but it was a solid character moments by having Roshi reflect upon how his former students have taught him about his own limits and reflecting on his resolve. Really liked Goku showing emotion, it's something he hardly ever does, so seeing him emotional was unexpected. From a visual stand-point, I would say it was probably the weakest in the tournament, though I wouldn't say it was out-right incorrigible.
Overall, a decent episode with some pacing issues and a weaker fight in the second half. Though I still think last episode was better, I'll say this was the second or third best episode in the tournament, a solid 3/5 for ratings sakes.

This episode was more middle of the road than anything. Content wise, I really enjoyed it, the scenario was very interesting and I liked how it relied a great deal on team tactics over brute force. However, I felt like the episode was let down with it's direction and pacing. The first half did do a decent job of establishing the snipers as a threat and I think it was a very solid half episode. However, the second is where everything felt cobbled together. While I definitely enjoyed how they approached the situation and I didn't even mind the more questionable script decision(Goku and Vegeta throwing literal mountains), I felt that the direction is generally what made the events in the second half fail to have any impact.
Overall it was an okay episode with really solid content and a well executed first half, but a really dull and mostly uninspired second.
2.25/5

Overall the tournament has been pretty mediocre on average, I would give it a 2.5/5.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:46 am

Episode 97

Kind of a mediocre mess. No real focus on anything. I honestly can't tell you what happened in this episode because nothing really happened. I guess there was the iconic "shining blaster!" and Goku getting choked.

Rating: 5.5/10

Episode 98

Much better than 97. Although the situation was a bit forced, I liked how Universe 9 teamed up together to take out a powerful foe in Goku. Of course they failed miserably, but it was still nice to see. Vegeta was almost cool again in this episode. Almost. Universe 9's erasure remains one of the best moments of the tournament to me.

Rating: 7.5/10

Episode 99

Nothing too exciting, but Kuririn was pretty damn good here. He handled every fight well and got some good eliminations for the team. He even saved 18 from getting eliminated. The stinky shoe part was classic Toriyama humor. Too bad he got knocked out so early in the tournament.

Rating: 7/10

Episode 100

I hate Broly, and I hate Kale. Because she's just Broly. That's all she is. I don't really get the Caulifla hate that much, but Kale is just abysmal here. Having her Broly scene include all these references to the movie while she's screaming "SON GOKU" every second was too much for me. The only reason this episode isn't the worst is because of the first half.

Rating: 4/10

Episode 101

Kale is more bearable here, but she still turned into damn Broly at the end. I almost got excited when I saw her in a normal SS form, but it died right when I saw her bulk up. The Pride Troopers weren't all that special, although I did like Kaseral.

Rating: 6.5/10.

Episode 102

Loved the humor in this episode. It actually got a few grind and chuckles out of me. Hell, I don't even watch magical girl shows and I enjoyed this a lot. When Vegeta tried to punch Ribrianne but dodged because of her ugly face was awesome. 17 was also really cool at the end.

Rating: 8.5/10

Episode 103

The first half wasn't all that strong, but the second half made up for it by a lot. The Gohan vs Obuni fight was great, and Universe 10's erasure was also handled really well, although the actual erasing part was a little rushed I fell. I liked how conflicted Gohan is about all this nonsense that Zenoh is doing.

Rating: 8/10

Episode 104

Now this was a great action episode. For sure it had the best fights in the ToP. One thing did annoy me, though. And it's the switching between Red and Blue. If this is such a great strategy when it comes to preserving energy, why did Goku not do this againt Buu with SS2 and SS3? Why did it just now come into play? Whatever, it was still nice to see SSG in all its glory. The new music was pretty sick, too.

Rating: 9/10

Episode 105

I love Roshi, so I loved this episode. Seriously, that ending scene was really nostalgic. The speech he gave to Goku and Kuririn made me remember just why I love this character so much. Goku getting so emotional at his "death" was also a big surprise. It's the first time he's cried as an adult.

Rating: 8/10.

Episode 106

I....... didn't like it. While I think 100 is worse, this episode bored me to death. At least episode 100 had some cool action and moments occasionally. This had no good action. Literally nothing. It starts off good, with Piccolo and Gohan surviving sniper shots, but then Piccolo's arms get ripped off like 300 times, and I'm just sitting there like, "why do his arms keep getting shot off?" The rock throwing was incredibly stupid, and Tenshinhan's big moment was underwhelming for the most part. Him suiciding with the opponent was cool, but him running there with his eyes glowing every two seconds was not. I liked Dr. Rota the most. His ability is very cool.

Rating: 3/10

Overall Ranking

I guess if you add up all my scores and divide them, you get a 6.7/10. I'm just going to round it up and give the tournament a 7/10.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:57 am

- Episode 97: The beginning of the tournament. This episode was actually the only one where there was truly a feeling of chaos. It was nothing outstanding though, and the re-used animation was a little annoying. 6/10

- Episode 98: The one about Universe 9. The action in this one was very nice, the bank animation was used in a smarter way. Overall, the battle was interesting with some decent choreography. 7/10

- Episode 99: The one about Krillin. This one was also quite nice, and it felt like a OG Dragon Ball episode, but from this episode onwards the tournament started to feel less like a battle royale. The animation was great and I liked Krillin and C-18 moments, we rarely got any before this episode. Krillin's elimination could have been handled better, I would have preferred it if it was more dramatic. 7/10

- Episode 100: The one about U6 Saiyan girls. In this episode the feeling of a battle royale was a little stronger, the 2nd half was very chaotic. I liked the action and the interactions were quite good. Unfortunately Blue Goku's Kamehameha vs Kale, which was a clear reference to Movie 8, almost ruined this episode for me; it made no sense, and they shouldn't have had Goku go Blue for it. 7/10

- Episode 101: The one about the Pride Troopers. This is one of the best episodes of the tournament for me. It had so many things going on but it felt perfectly paced nonetheless. I liked Kale and Caulifla's interactions, as well as C-18 and C-17. The final moment when Goku lets the Saiyan girls go away was awesome. 7.5/10

- Episode 102: The one about U2 girls. I can't say I appreciated this one much. The 1st half was very annoying with the re-used animation scene but at least it was done as a gag. C-17 saved this episode with his outstanding perfomance in the 2nd half. 6.5/10

- Episode 103: The one about Universe 10. Awesome action in this one, especially in the 2nd half. Obuni was a very interesting and well-done character, I'm glad he was there and his fight with Gohan was incredibly good. Universe 10's erasure was touching when Obuni dropped his necklace. I really can't complain about this episode. 7.5/10

- Episode 104: The one about Hit. SSG's return wasn't exactly needed in this case, and we didn't get any explanation as to how Goku is able to transform into it. That's unfortunate as they could have fixed some powerscaling issues with a simple explanation. Apart from this little nit-pick, this is the best episode of the tournament for me. Hit's fight with Dyspo was phenomenal. 8.5/10

- Episode 105: The one about Master Roshi. Very emotional episode, they really did justice to Master Roshi and now it's clear as to why he was chosen for the tournament. His speech was damn awesome, and Beerus respecting him was a great moment too. 7/10

- Episode 106: The one about the snipers. This was a boring episode, and Piccolo constantly shielding Gohan wasn't the best thing. I liked how it showed Piccolo as a true battle tactician though. Tenshinan also got some justice and I liked how they handled his elimination. I disliked how Goku and Vegeta were running like Naruto ninjas for a second, it was probably to save animation but that was quite lame as it never happened in the show, I would have preferred it if they ran like how Goku and Krillin used to run as kids. Overall, this episode wasn't neither bad nor good. Just a very average episode. 6/10
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:15 am

Wow, I didn't expect to get so many replies so quickly! Thanks to everyone who thus far took the time to share their thoughts! I'll periodically update this thread with posts containing points I find interesting from the feedback, such as averages and other tidbits! For reference, if a rating system used different values (such as JazzMazz rating out of 5), I simply scaled the values to incorporate them. I also included an overall rating score so I can include comments such as that from sintzu.

Current Aggregate Scores:
Note: All values are rounded up for the sake of consistency.

-Episode 97: 5.57/10
-Episode 98: 6.88/10
-Episode 99: 7.13/10
-Episode 100: 5.47/10
-Episode 101: 5.57/10
-Episode 102: 6.85/10
-Episode 103: 7.63/10
-Episode 104: 7.82/10
-Episode 105: 7.82/10
-Episode 106: 5.57/10
-Overall: 6.48/10

Other Interesting Tidbits:

-Episode(s) with the highest overall average: Tie between Episode 104 and Episode 105 (7.82/10)
-Episode(s) with the lowest overall average: Episode 100 (5.47/10)
-Episode(s) with the least average disparity in ratings: Episode 99 (low of 6, high of 9)
-Episode(s) with the most average disparity in ratings: Episode 100 (low of 2.2, high of 9.5)
-Episode(s) with the most frequent occurrence of a rating: Tie between Episode 99 and Episode 101 (4 instances of a 7/10 for both episodes)
-Episode(s) affected most negatively by me ( :( ): Episode 102 (average of 7.18/10 without my score; my rating was 4.5 overall)

Once again, thanks for all the comments and I look forward to (hopefully) some more reviews from others! :thumbup:
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:38 am

Indeed Nice Job on the Thread Tombstone1988, Indeed I enjoyed it and was happy to Give My Views and Express my Opinions on the Episodes!

Just one question, but if you say No that is ok, I was thinking about it overnight and I just want to change my Ratings for 2 of the Episodes ~~~~ BUT I see now you did an averaging of them, so I am holding on right now. Could I make my changes or should I not make a changes?

I will wait for you response, either way it ok. ;)
My #1 in DB!

Hakaishin Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hakaishin Liquir » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:47 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote:Episode 97 ~~~ 7/10

A Decent Opening, Cool Moments and Nice Animations but felt not as Epic and having allot of the key players from other universe shown fighting, they showed a few but not all I felt they should have. So Ok.

Episode 98 ~~~ 6/10

The Fight with Universe 9 was Good and the Teamwork by Universe 9 was Impressive and I loved that. Just not much of a Fan of a WHOLE team being eliminated in 1 Episode, this should have been at least 2 episodes long IMO.

Episode 99 ~~~ 9/10

Solid Story, Solid Writing, Good pacing and Great showing of Krillian and his Skills!

Episode 100 ~~~ 8/10 (first half), 7/10 (second half)

The overall Episode was Great, I loved the Caulifla and Goku Fight, the 1st SSJ Male and 1st SSJ Female felt like History being Made and I loved the Moment. The 2nd Half was a Nice Fight and Homage to Broly and the change-up to Saying Son Goku was a Nice Touch. Only Negative was why Jiren's Attack did not Ring-Out Kale, I did not want Kale Ringed-Out, but it seemed like a Solid and Easy Ring out for Jiren, just did not get that, that is what brought down the 2nd half?! :crazy:

Episode 101 ~~~ 3/10

IMO the Worst Episode so Far in the ToP, HALF of Universe 11's Team Ringed Out in a Single Episode, Dumb down showing of power by Kahseral who I thought would be a heavy hitter in this Arc and just not a good showing by the Main Team with the Most Hope and Hype in this, just made me angry to see that happen! :cry:

SHOULD have been 2 Episodes Long IMO.

Only Saving Graces where Caulifla and Kale doing the heavy lifting and the Opening Act for Episode 102!

Episode 102 ~~~ 9.5/10 (first half), 6/10 (second half)

I BLOOD LOVED this Episode :clap: , this was the One I was Waiting For and it Made My Laugh so Hard and Cheer so Loud, Especially the 1st Half! A Nice but Funny Homage to Magical Girls and the Girls has styles of fighting I loved, Made me a Life Long Fan of theirs by this Episode, Proud to Have Loved this Episode So Much! :D :clap: :thumbup:

LOVED The Transformations Sequence and the Helles parts where funny and beautiful, Don't Care how many times they get reused you never loose looking at a lovely lady like that all day, LOL! ;)

2nd Half was a Good Fight, Loved Kakunsa fighting Style bringing the Wolverine from X-Men to the Dragon Ball Mythos. Loved the Teamwork by Kakunsa and Vikal and I give Credit to 17 for cool and clever fighting strategy, they both Brought this ToP Up to the Next level after the MASSIVE Disappointment that was Episode 101!

Only Downside was Kakunsa and Vikal being Ringed out sooner then I thought, but that happens, but mostly I felt this fight again should have been 2 episodes long, 1/2 of an episode was WAY to fast!

Episode 103 ~~~ 10/10 (first half), 8/10 (second half)

Easily the BEST Part of the ToP for me, Ribrianne showing she is the Real Deal and Rozie showing she was not a light weight either in the 1st Half! Also I FINALLY got to see some Smart Ring Thinking by Jimeze to get away from the Edge instead of fighting on it like so many hand up to this point, Yikes! :crazy:

Gohan in the 2nd half was Great, Epic Fight with U10 and an Honorable Fight as well, the Pendant moment was key in the weight of this ToP!

Episode 104~~~ 5/10

Not a Bad Episode, but to Much talking by Dyspo on How His Powers Work, I just did not get all the talking but still a solid fight. Good Teamwork by Dyspo and Kunshi as well made this a nice episode!

Episode 105 ~~~ 9.5/10

Easily one of the Best in the ToP so Far, an Emotional Ride and Homage to the Original Dragon Ball when Master Roshi was King and shows he still can be! Also, showing Sage Like Skill and Wisdom can outmatch power and they way they explained it was Nicely done!

Only 0.5 was taken away cause the Calway match was not to all my likely.

Episode 106 ~~~ 7/10

Like this More then I thought, Tien was Boss and a Nice Double Take-down and the Team of Sniping by Hermila and Prum was Nicely Done and Made them a Major Threat! Again Universe 2 Representing Well!
Losing to base Goku really showed that Rozie isn't a lightweight.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:56 am

Episode 97: This was a really good episode and a great way to start the tournament. The one thing I dreaded the most about the episode was that Universe 7 would get 80-90% of screentime in the episode, but thankfully, they shared the spotlight with other fighters from other universes and did it proportionally well.

I loved how the episode brought out just how frantic and crowded the tournament was with the stage being nothing but just a continuous stream of explosions. Basil being the star of the episode kinda surprised me, but hey, they did it well, and I have to credit Toei in handling his scenarios in a very efficient manner. The reusing of animation from previous episodes didn't bother me too much because they managed the use of the recycled animation effectively and didn't detract from the constant action narrative of the episode. But while I enjoyed the episode a lot, a part of me wanted to enjoy just a bit more given that is was the beginning of a major tournament. - 8/10

Episode 98: Even better than EP 97. I loved Goku's strategic fighting as well and brilliant callback from previous episodes (using a ki barrier to protect himself form Lavender's poison after seeing how it worked against Gohan in their Zen Exhibition Match) and it was so awesome seeing Goku and Vegeta doing combo attacks. People may have varying opinions on this, but I never get tired of Goku and Vegeta teaming up, transforming and cleaning house. The SSJB Final Kamehameha combo attack was awesome. And there's no better way for Universe 9 to have been erased than from an attack like that. - 8.5/10

Episode 99: This was a bloody great episode, mainly because teamwork actually managed to play a significant difference in how the battles panned out. Krillin and 18 teaming up was wonderful to see and seeing how they backed each other up when either of them were in a tight spot was great and show how much of well-oiled machine they are as a team. Botamo and Magetta supporting each other from Vegeta was also a really nice touch and good call back from the Champa arc.

But what I enjoyed the most was how cunning most of the fighters were. Krillin throwing his stinky show to confuse and disorientate Majora, but messing with his heightened sense of smell was great and hilarious. It really felt like a Toriyama-esque gag from the old-school Budokai Tenkaichi days. And seeing how Gohan's strategy managed to be incorporated into eliminating an opponent was really great. And Roshi being the one to eliminate Jium from Universe 10 made it all the more sweet. This episode really emphasized how much chemistry can be significant and I can't praise this episode enough for incorporating that element so well. - 9/10

Episode 100: Fairly good episode. Caulifla stole the show and made me fan of her character. Her banter with Goku was even better than I hoped it would be. Her way of thanking Goku for teaching her how to go SSJB was to use that form to beat him up with it was just awesome. And then saying that she was going to show Goku a transformation so amazing he was going to wet himself. Wonderful. Just wonderful. And her eliminating those two fighters who beating on Kale and reassuring Kale te she could hold her own was the cherry on the top of the cake. She's such a great character. She really is a female Goku but has her own quirks that make her unique. Cabba walking through the smoke and eliminating two fighters at the same time like they were nothing was awesome. Unfortunately, Android 18 being a total bitch and talking down to Krillin for him getting eliminated and Kale being a total bore as Broly 2.0 didn't this episode any favors. - 7/10

Episode 101: I adored this episode mainly because of the dynamic between Kale and Caulifla. That dynamic was the backbone of the episode and the payoff it got with Kale now learning to control her SSJ Berserk form and making herself less Broly-esque was wonderful. It has at least made Kale more interesting as character, as she won't go full LSSJ Broly every time. - 8/10

Episode 102: This episode was hysterically awesome. I didn't think anything in Dragon Ball Super could make me laugh more than the Baseball episode but I was wrong. This episode way funnier than it had any right to be. Android 17 in particular killed it in this episode. This episode, much like the Dr Slump crossover episode, is one of these episode which relies a bit on having knowledge of certain material to get the most of the content it's parodying. And of course, some of the Western fans may not have been exposed anime like PreCure which this episode was heavily referencing towards, so most of the inside joke went over some peoples heads. Like the reused animation gag. This episode was one big homage to everything good and bad about Magical Girl genre. And just like the Dr Slump crossover episode, I loved it for how much the episode reviled in self referential humor and just had fun. That's where Dragon Ball truly thrives, in my opinion. Where it's silly and dumb, but is not only well aware of that fact, but full embraces its dense and wacky nature. Not to mention we got to see the supporting cast take center stage in great fashion. 8.5/10

Episode 103: Another very good episode. The best part of the episode was Obuni vs Gohan. It was extremely well animated, incorporated a great amount of battle smarts and strategy, had a satisfying conclusion and provided a very good context for Obuni's character (how much he respected Gohan as a fighter, stating what he's fighting for and the responsibility he carries for his universe).

The whole erasure of Universe 10 was quite depressing. Nobody was freaking out like some of Universe 9 were. All of the fighters were all so sad they let their universe down. And Gowasu just accepted his fate while still commending his fighters for their effort and supporting them. The real punch to the gut was seeing the locket of Obuni's family, and then it disappear from Universe 10 being erased. It just further emphasized how Obuni was fighting for something dear to to him. Gohan's reaction as a whole just sold that whole scenario so much better. The look on Gohan's face, the silent contemplation about what he had done when he saw it all happen and that eerie moment of silence when he has quickly forget about what happen and focus on winning the tournament to save his universe. It was all so shockingly somber for Dragon Ball. The whole last five minutes felt much more downbeat than I would have thought. 7.5/10

Episode 104: I was conflicted with this episode originally but after re-watching it, and taking into consideration the context of the scenarios Super has provided since Resurrection F, the return of SSJG doesn't really bother me. I really liked seeing SSJG again because I love the form, and explanation of SSJG coming back could have sweetened the deal but it doesn't drag down the episode as I previously had thought.

Hit was fucking awesome and carried the episode so damn well. From how he acted to getting his Time-Skip countered, to how he addressed the issue with his Time Skip being countered, and his chemistry with Goku is just way too good for it's own right. I never thought Goku and Hit teaming up, for as brief as it was, would be so damn entertaining. 90% of the episode was fantastic and some of the best stuff that Super has provided so far in terms of fighting with the amount of strategy and team work that was incorporated.

One of the best episodes of Super so far. Not on the echelon of "one of the best episodes in the franchise", but pretty damn close. - 9/10

Episode 105: This episode was way better than it had any damn right to be.

What I really loved the most is how Roshi was respected in-universe. When he seemed to collapse and die, Krillin was in tears and was going to rush back to the arena to help him, even when that wasn't allowed to. And Goku became incredibly distressed, turned SSJB to instantly break free from Maji Kayo and rushed over to revive him and then helped him back onto his feet. The whole sequence was just beautiful and wonderfully played into Roshi previous monologue of what he taught Goku and Krillin under his tutelage. The cherry, or cherry's, on the top was that even Beerus wanted to know his name and while everyone from Universe 7 was concerned was thrilled that Roshi wasn't dead, Roshi reminds Goku that the battle isn’t over yet, even when Goku has to help him back on his feet.

The whole episode felt like it was leaning so heavily on the fourth wall with Ganos reiterating and rephrasing some the complaints that some of the fandom had about Roshi's inclusion into the team. "He's old", "He needs to retire", "He needs to accept his limits and give up" etc. And the episode masterfully addressed this, to not only bring coherency to the plot, but to also seamlessly tie into and further develop the subtle and more outward meanings of his training and his teachings to Goku and Krillin when they were his students as children.

The episode justified Roshi's reintroduction into the main plot, and in such a high stakes arc like this specifically, in such a good way. And made everything about Roshi's relationship with Goku and Krillin come full circle, with how Roshi inspired Goku and Krillin to become better than what he wanted them to be and Goku and Krillin doing the same for Roshi as the years went by. And they've all become much better people in terms of personality and power because of that wonderful and inspirational cycle.

They handled Roshi's character so well in that episode that it kinda took me by surprise how much I enjoyed it and was invested into what was going on. It was one the best character driven episodes in the franchise, the best episode of the tournament so far and one of the best episodes Super has provided. - 10/10

Episode 106: Without a doubt the weakest entry into the tournament so far.

The episode incorporated a good amount of strategy and it paid off in the end with Tien using his multi-form technique to find the sniper and then taking him out with him. But I feel as though they dropped the ball with ball with Tien. They did a horrible job with building up Tien to this tournament, and he really didn't contribute anything noteworthy in the tournament. He just eliminated just one person, barely fights after that and then takes another character out of bounds while getting eliminated himself as well. It really sucks if you're a Tien fan. Because he had a terrible showing in this tournament.

The direction of the episode also felt unnatural but I think that was due to Goku and Vegeta. Their insertion into the plot of this episode certainly felt the most out-of-left-field than any other occasion in this tournament so far and really did disrupt the flow of the narrative. This episode could have certainly used a bit less Goku and Vegeta. I still thought the episode was okay and still has some redeeming qualities to save it from being a bad episode outright. I think the episode will be more tolerable when I binge watch the arc after it's over. - 6/10

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:13 am

Hakaishin Liquir wrote:Losing to base Goku really showed that Rozie isn't a lightweight.
I rather keep the Thread on point with Reviews, but I will give my reasons why;

1.) Losing Means being Ring-Out, until that happens No one Losing and we really did not get to see how far the fight may have gone cause Ribrianne came to Rozie's Aid, which I Loved, but still it kept from seeing their this would go.

2.) Base Goku is not lightweight either, depending upon what you think the level is at now and she was giving Goku a Good Run their. Now I know Goku plays around and I know he more then likely was studying the technique as he said, but still he was showing signs of some struggle and I give credit where it is due at any level.

3.) A good fight is a good fight at any level, I really while will take about and celebrate power levels when it is needed, I really don't care much anymore who is at what strength level, does the fight live up to style, drama and technique to say a few things.

4.) Rozie showed she had some skills and could sneaky, creative and has great Ki Control. The factor that you get faster in your fighting was impressive as well. I am detailed oriented in what a fighter can do.

5.) We have to see, but since Rozie is not out and the fight was not concluded we don't know the top level of her yet. Whether Toei plans to show us or not we have to see, but right now it is up in the air like many fighters anew still are.
My #1 in DB!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:37 am

EP 97
-While I had a good laugh since they made a big deal of teamwork and whatnot but instantly in 1 ep threw all that shit out the window the moment Goku's hyper wakuwaku signal popped out, this was one of the worst episodes I had seen in a long time (storywise)
This also marked the beginning of repeated animations from previous episodes.

3/10

EP 98
-The ep just made me hate SSJB a lot more than I already do, and I thought they wouldnt be able to beat 97 when it comes to bad execution.
Only good part was Goku's stare off with GP, for some weird reason that was more intense than a universe getting erased.

2/10

EP 99
-Decent compared to what we got from the start, not only did the smokes and rubbles help the scenery but we finally had some good melee action with not too much reused animations, I also like how they handled Krillin this episode, sad he had to go out that way tho.

5/10

EP 100
-I'm quite torn in this episode, there were decent parts, bad parts, and horrible parts.
While I enjoyed Goku telling Ms.backsensation she aint ready for blue yet and put her in her place, LSSJ Kale whooping SSJ2 and walking through a SSJB KHH just rubs me the wrong way (I must say they were at least able to handle ep 100 in a way where people will talk about it, but not in a good way)
I'm not really a fan of Kale being a femBroly at all, and while I was interested in Cauli at first, she is slowly becoming one of the worst characters introduced in this damn series, Kale too.

4/10

EP 101
-Once ep 100 ended, for some reason Goku doesnt spam the hell out of blue just for lols and giggles, while I'm glad they did that, they in return made Goku look like a fool, he was in base having a hard time and was a punching bag for the whole ep.
Obviously a lil centered U6 female saiyan ep with Kale as probably the main heroine overcoming something, it was still a boring episode. I was hoping Kale and Cauli would have went byebye instead of those pride troopers, if theres one thing I liked in this episode its the interaction between those 2 pride troopoers
Zoiray: Come on Tupper
Tupper: yeees Zoiray! TOGEEETHERR!
and 18 was quite entertaining as well.
Tupper: no no! STOOOP.... yeah I stopped! *crumbles* oh shit...

3/10

EP 102
-While 17 bored the hell out of me this episode, I finally enjoyed it, thanks to the writing anyways. They finally had 3 characters from different universes clash, tho the rose guy only ended up as collateral damage...
And I just like shows that takes a jab at cliches when it comes to anime.

6/10

EP 103
-What really saved this episode was the atmosphere after Gohan knocked out someone who was fighting for the same thing he was... that was just plain sad, and to top that the loli angel was actually sad after her GoD got erased, emotions finally came out this episode!

7/10

EP 104
-Another ep that torned me, ignoring the fact that they just popped out SSJG like that without any explanations like it was always usable, they just had it appear for a short time and redo what Goku did to Hit on the manga ver.
Yeah I like SSJG, but come on.

6/10 only because of SSJG

EP 105
-The only episode that made me laugh,sad,cry,happy,sweat all in one. Roshi saved this arc for me, not only did I get nostalgia vibes, his showing was so great, I was indifferent at first since the arc has been a trainwreck so I got caught off guard from this, cant stretch enough how I loved this episode, never have I watched an anime that brought me back to my kiddie days when I was having fun with Goku,Krillin and Roshi times... yeah... good times.

11/10

EP 106
-aaaand we're back to shit tier eps. probably a huge drop from the previous one.

2/10

Overall this arc has been a trainwreck, DBS tried to pull of something thats clearly out of their league. Zen matches and Black arc (besides Trunks wank) was way better than what this arc has showed, please get this arc over with as soon as possible.
What do they call this again.. they bit off more than can chew.

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:14 pm

97- This episode was forgettable for me, in fact the only thing I really remember from it is that the tournament started. 2/10

98- An ok episode but I felt like it should have been atleast 2 episodes and featured a team up from a different character, I mean this is the first time iirc that Vegeta of all characters offers Goku help and fights alongside him without being forced into doing so. 6/10

99- Unlike a lot of people it seems, I actually hated this episode, despite it focusing around my favorite character: Krillin. I'm not gonna go over why exactly I hated this episode because it would be a very long post if I did. I'll say that outside of the Krillin and 18 team up, I didn't like the action, I didn't like how Krillin was handled and I don't appreciate the show retroactively wasting my time. If Krillin is gonna be fodder, give him the Tien treatment, don't waste multiple episodes on the guy only to make him look half-way decent. This also was the episode where things really started going downhill and the inconsistencies started becoming more and more apparent. It was decently animated though i'll give it that. 4/10

100- iirc this episode had poor animation, boring fights, Not-Broly being annoying, and Caulifla showing off her privilege. Their was more inconsistencies here, I forget some of them, but the big one here is the arena being trashed. It made no sense why the arena was trashed in this episode, no explanation, the show just opens with the arena already in ruin. No time actually passes between episodes and why they didn't have Kale be the reason as to why the arena is falling apart like wet tissue paper is beyond me. This episode also had very poor pacing and just random stuff happening for the sake of randomness, Vegeta and Cabba's encounter being an excellent example. I also hated Caulifla and her privilege this episode and them teasing her going Super Saiyan 3. It's not like she already obtained 3 new forms she never knew existed in a span of less than a day already... Also the Broly wank off was ridiculous and Hail Zeon described the episode perfectly "Broly's Greatest hits, Now with Tits". 2.5/10

101- More Caulifla and Kale. I already don't care about these character so trying to give them an emotional episode with them just seemed stupid, especially when we aren't even quite sure about their relationship and how close they are. Caulifla and Kale as characters are very rushed and at this episode they felt like nothing more than merchandise characters to me because anytime they spend atleast 10 minutes on them in any episode so far, one of them got a transformation. Kale just being a a Broly clone and Caulifla being a character I feel was just an oc that one of the writers stole from a bad DBZ Fanfiction does not make for a good episode. Then you have whatever the hell Goku was doing. Fake tension that really wasn't needed and the Pride Troopers get trashed. The action was poor and mostly consisted of Caulifla getting her ass handed to her in a situation that could have been easily avoided if she powered up. 3/10

102- This episode was ok. I didn't mind the whole Magical Girl's thing and 17 looked pretty badass. It's a shame about the reused animation, but 17 pretty much saved the episode from a total disaster. The action was good and the animation was excellent. I just really wish the magical girls were on a higher level instead of presented as low tiers. 7/10

103- The quality of this show is all over the place. After a very well animated episode we get this, woof, this was just hard too look at for me. Any shot that had Gohan in it looked pretty terrible and we're back to awful and extremely rushed fights after the break we had the week prior. It's at this episode that I start feeling that most of these episodes plot come about when one of the writers are enjoying a Happy Meal at there local McDonalds when suddenly they remember they have to write an episode for Super, so after wiping there lips with a napkin they then scribble onto the napkin the plot for a episode and pass it in to Toei. That's how rushed and how little effort I feel they put into some of these episodes. The emotional bit with Obuni, I know what they were going for, but thats the type of stuff you need build up for it to have any significant emotional impact. The fight with Gohan and Obuni should've told a better story, instead it was rushed and used to get a cheap reaction from the audience. The fight with Botomo was lame and Gohan's "strategy" pretty much relied on Botomo forgetting he had appendages. piccolo's fight lasted one move and was very unsatisfying. Goku's match up was ok at best. Overall just a boring and poorly written episode to me. 3/10

104- I skipped this episode and have really only read summaries and others opinions on this episode. I might watch it some day, but for now I just really don't want to _/10

105- So i'm really interested in hearing what episodes King Ryu had written because from the episodes that I know he wrote they, imo, are high quality. This episode told an excellent story, justified Roshi's place in the tournament and had quite the emotional scene at the end, even though it was slightly ruined by Roshi being saved it didn't really hinder the episode as a whole to me. I was genuinely surprised Super didn't go for the low hanging fruit and bring back Rapey Roshi. The fights were pretty good in this episode and showed off technique, experience and skill over power for once. Roshi should have gotten the 3 episodes that Krillin had if this is how they were going to use him. An excellent showing and one of the few times Goku's inclusion wasn't forced and felt somewhat natural. Good episode. 9/10

106- Not much to say about this episode, it was kind of just meh. Animation was ok, action was mediocre. My only beef with this episode I guess is how empty the arena feels... more so than usual. These guys are just now getting into action after sitting on their asses this whole time? Not only that but they're only targeting two people instead of everybody? Pretty boring episode that left no impression on me which imo makes it worse than the ones that pissed me off, atleast i'll remember something from those episodes. 2/10

Overall I liked the recruitment episodes way more because most of this tournament has been very forgettable and poorly done imho. The only things i've actually enjoyed were 105 and most of 102, the fights have been extremely lacking, almost everything feels super rushed, inconsistency has been running rampant since episode 100 and at times it feels like the writers are going out their way to waste my time. The tournament as a whole so far gets a 3/10 and a :thumbdown: from me. I really hate being this negative guy but it feels like Dragon Ball Super always brings the worse out in me.

Edit: I changed my rating for 105 to a 9. After thinking it over I think it deserves it.
Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:51 pm

Episode 97: 7/10
Episode 98: 8/10
Episode 99: 5/10
Episode 100: 10/10 --- > I feel in love with Kale and Caulifla, they turned into my favorite characters from DBS
Episode 101: 10/10 --- > I really loved this episode, and in the entire franchise, they turned into my favorite characters after Future Trunks and Vegeta
Episode 102: 7/10
Episode 103: 8/10
Episode 104: 11/10 [if it were possible, lol]
Episode 105: 7/10
Episode 106: 7/10

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Can't stress enough how awesome and appreciated all the posts/reviews are! In addition to what I stated in my previous breakdown, I'll also be taking any ratings above the maximum and counting them as a 10 for the purposes of maintaining proper averages (same would apply if anyone rates an episode below the minimum, e.g. -1/10).

Current Aggregate Scores:
Note: All values are rounded up for the sake of consistency.

-Episode 97: 5.38/10 (down from 5.57/10)
-Episode 98: 6.63/10 (down from 6.88/10)
-Episode 99: 6.67/10 (down from 7.13/10)
-Episode 100: 5.60/10 (up from 5.47/10)
-Episode 101: 5.71/10 (up from 5.57/10)
-Episode 102: 6.94/10 (up from 6.85/10)
-Episode 103: 7.21/10 (down from 7.63/10)
-Episode 104: 7.96/10 (up from 7.82/10)
-Episode 105: 8.21/10 (up from 7.82/10)
-Episode 106: 4.55/10 (down from 5.57/10)
-Overall: 6.37/10 (down from 6.45*/10)

Other Interesting Tidbits:

-Episode(s) with the highest overall average: Episode 105 (8.21/10)
-Episode(s) with the lowest overall average: Episode 106 (4.55/10)
-Episode(s) with the least average disparity in ratings: Episode 102** (low of 4.5, high of 8.5)
-Episode(s) with the highest average disparity in ratings: Episode 100 (low of 2.2, high of 10)
-Episode(s) with the most frequent occurrence of a rating: Episode 97 (5 instances of a 7/10)
-Episode with the largest decrease in rating since last time: Episode 106 (decrease of 1.02 overall)
-Episode with the largest increase in rating since last time: Episode 105 (increase of 0.39 overall)

* = I goofed on my calculation of this value in my last post, hence the difference in the value here.
** = If you remove my rating from the data, the disparity is actually even less, with the next lowest rating being a 6 and the average being 7.16/10. With a difference of only 2.5 in the average ratings, it easily has the most consistency in its score thus far.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:05 pm

Hey Tombstone1988 I just wanted to ask again, could I change my rating for 2 of my episodes and I will let you know what I changed, I don't want to do that without your go ahead?!
My #1 in DB!

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:09 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:Indeed Nice Job on the Thread Tombstone1988, Indeed I enjoyed it and was happy to Give My Views and Express my Opinions on the Episodes!

Just one question, but if you say No that is ok, I was thinking about it overnight and I just want to change my Ratings for 2 of the Episodes ~~~~ BUT I see now you did an averaging of them, so I am holding on right now. Could I make my changes or should I not make a changes?

I will wait for you response, either way it ok. ;)
That's perfectly fine. I'm an accountant by trade; editing a few values for averages is no problem at all.