"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:20 am

Big Black Saiyan wrote:It was pretty nice to see some background as the other Gods. I think we might still see Goku vs Toppo action.
Definitely. That must be the only reason he's there; to question Goku's righteousness via combat.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 am

Oh man. The zenos want to destroy universes because they had too many chess pieces and noticed that they are bored of observing most of of the universes. Looks like Goku showed up just in the nick of time as well, because it seems they were JUST about to destroy the universes. This certainly takes a lot of the blame off of Goku but now I question how anyone, like Toppo, would call him a villain, assuming that still happens. Though I suppose the Grand priest could just not tell them they were minutes away from death, and it could still look like Gokus fault for starting this.

I love how everyone communicates with the Grand priest instead of Zeno. You'd think the GP was the ruler or something but everyone just listened to his bratty children.

I like this Vermoud. Hope he has more to do later.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 am

Great chapter. I'm happy to get to know better the Hakaishins this is something everyone has been asking for since the end of BoG.

Nice to see the dynamics and the mention of Zamasu by the Universe 10 Gods. I liked seeing Universe 9 pondering on the destruction of one of their planets.

Can't wait to see the fight developing, like the characters said we've just gotten started.

Quitela and Belmod are very interesting so far.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:26 am

It was an okay chapter, I enjoy those small details of past events with Beerus having put the universes on the chopping block before. Though now that I've gotten to see the full fight, yeah, still don't enjoy it. Aside from the moment where Musco grabs Beerus, and Beerus has to break out his hold, it was visually uninteresting.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:48 am

I say this chapter was great, totally better than last month because it have good world building with the other Universe,I liked the bit of the other universe and the one with rumosh & Gowasu arguing about zamasu damage in the universe
    This chapter was funny with the game of hide & seek and u8 arriving late. I also dig vermoud characterization here and the interaction of beerus and Quitela continue to be funny
      The fight was ok,idk why everyone why is everyone threating This fight the worst one in the manga, I've seen worse fight than this one, referring to Vegeta vs black round 2 through i will admit I wish we see ki blade through the match barely started so maybe we will see those next month, Overall a fun chapter with great world building,I just love how the manga threat the God characters like God of destruction and kaioshin, totally a positive in this version,is something I was looking forward to see
      Mostly active on discord.

Kanassa
      Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:49 am

The gr wrote: The fight was ok,idk why everyone why is everyone threating This fight the worst one in the manga,
      Could you point to anyone who's treated the fight like this?
      When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
      FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
      - FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:59 am

Kanassa wrote:
      The gr wrote: The fight was ok,idk why everyone why is everyone threating This fight the worst one in the manga,
      Could you point to anyone who's treated the fight like this?
      There's only one user that said this, draconic is the one iirc, sorry If I exaggerated & They were some people hated this fight because it was apparently the beerus wank, I will admit I'm getting tired of the re used pose like the flying one &, being kicked behind the head was used twice in the previous saga

Lord Beerus
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:15 am

This is the best chapter that Toyotaro has put together so far by leaps and bounds.

As I've said before, I love the little tidbits of the getting a small perspective of what the other Hakaishin get up to prior to being summoned by Grand Priest/Zeno(s). Sidra actually acting like competent Hakasihin, Helles having servants reaffirm her of her beauty to establishes how vain she is, Quitela watching two rodents like creature fight each other in death-sport quasi-Mad Max like miniature setting and even Rumoosh getting on Gowasu's case about Zamasu actions in the Future Trunks arc. It's all wonderful.

And that little tidbit of Beerus sleeping during a multiverse style game of hide-and-seek is and ingenuous way of not only making the animosity from the other Hakaishin towards Beerus feel more developed but also play into making the childish aspect of Zeno seem more capricious but also grander in the scheme of the multiverse in Dragon Ball and it perfectly fits into Beerus' character for him to sleep through important events like that.

The battle between all the Hakaishin looks neat and it seems as though it's setting up Goku vs Toppo. I really enjoyed Beerus taking on all the other Hakaishin's and applying the whole "moving without thinking" aspect that Whis introduced as a part of training Goku and Vegeta in Resurrection F. That was a brilliant callback and I'm really happy it lead to something substantial in the end. Major kudos to Toyotaro for that.

I also really like how much Toyotaro is adding more emphasis to underlying feud between Quitela and Beerus before the main plot kicks in. Which again, as I previously stated, is a great way of creating a foundation for making Universe 7 the main target for resentment and hostility all that more genuine and developed. Having Rumoosh mention the actions of Zamasu in the Future Trunks, in relation of Beerus' role in those events, was also another fantastic way of creating a foundation for giving an introspective of how all the other Hakaishin don't like Beerus and making the Zen Exhibtion Match feel all the more significant, as supposed to being basically a throwaway battle royale.

We won't be getting Majin Boo vs Basil, Gohan vs Lavender or Goku vs Bergamo, which I think is a shame because I felt those fights serviced the main respective participants in the battles pretty well. And was great avenue for building up to the Tournament Of Power. But the alternative is really damn great so far.

This chapter did a fantastic job in making hostility towards Universe 7 feel more it has been building up for many years and has finally lead to its climax, with the Tournament of Power happening and style of the Zen Exhibition Match with all the Hakaishin fighting each other and ganging up on Beerus.

Awesome work, Toyotaro! Keep it up. :thumbup:

LowRyder2005
      Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:26 am

I personally think the way the manga is maturing as a "real story" in general is something short of incredible. Starting from roughly the Black arc, and with special mention of the last two chapters, nothing would really be that out of place in the original manga. It's properly paced, the artwork is solid and it's really taking the most out of the plotline to make a compelling story.

I cannot help but feel a tinge of displeasure at the idea that BOG and ROF had been "butchered" or demoted to glorified recaps, they'd really deserve to be retraced to fit the mold of a manga that now pretty much stands at least stands on its own two feet.

HeroR
      Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:31 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
      Sora Saiyan wrote:Yeah, the body moving on it's own is obviously just an exaggerated form of what we humans are capable of. With the DB characters everything becomes automatic, they are capable of moving without thinking for any movement. For us humans it's about drilling a technique enough that our body can then move without the need for a signal being sent to the brain, of course it's very, very limited for us in comparison but that's the whole point of fiction.
      Goku's already done something like this in at least one version of Battle of Gods. He was rushing to attack Beerus, but his body sensed that Beerus would counter and dodged away before he even realized what he was doing.
      I think that was more battle instinct or even animal instinct that told him that he was in danger.
      Kanassa wrote:It was an okay chapter, I enjoy those small details of past events with Beerus having put the universes on the chopping block before. Though now that I've gotten to see the full fight, yeah, still don't enjoy it. Aside from the moment where Musco grabs Beerus, and Beerus has to break out his hold, it was visually uninteresting.
      This is my problem with the manga's fights in general. They're just visually boring to me and I don't see why people keep saying that the manga rivals Toriyama's work, or most manga in Jump for that matter.
      Kanassa wrote:
      precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
      Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

The gr
      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:37 am

Wait a minute,since gohan never faced lavender that mean lavender is gonna poison people left and right with out people noticing it :shock:.I'm really interested on the fate of u9 because how vermoud threated sidra,i think u9 are gonna target the pride trooper specifically the big 3 and be the first universe to be erased because of that decision

LightBing
      I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Quitela watching two rodents like creature fight each other in death-sport quasi-Mad Max like miniature setting
      He's holding a controller, he's playing a video game. Probably trying to get into Dragon Ball FighterZ before Beerus to mess with him. :P

dbgtFO
      Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:03 pm

As has been pointed out already, Belmod mentions being a God of Destruction for 87,910,715 days, which converts to 240,691.4 years, less than Shin's age, which guidebooks established was at least 5 million years.

Apparently someone took offense to that. However it just might be, that what Belmod considers days are different than Earth days, which makes sense, as surely his home planet is not Earth, lol. For example on Venus, a day lasts longer than a year, as it takes 243 earth days for the planet to complete a full resolution, while it rotates the sun in 224 earth days.
      Furthermore Zeno's King's Calendar had on the day of the tournament 3,135,500,603 days, which if it were Earth days would be 8,584,709.1 years or less than Beerus' supposed age of +100 million years. I suppose Zeno only started counting way after that?
      Whatever the case, given that they also have at least 157 hours in a day, it might just be the case, that we shouldn't assume that characters' mentions of days convert directly to Earth days, unless directly stated to do so, like the Grand Priest helps clarify, when he used terms unknown to Goku and co.(5 tiks = 40 hours, 100 taks = 48 minutes).

ekrolo2
      Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:08 pm

I really like this chapter content wise, making the Exhibition Match a battle between the GoDs is a good, conservative way to get a big fight in to excite the Zeno's but also let us see how the various GoDs hold up against one another. It looks like some of them have their own specialization like Beerus having the move without thinking, Sidra being good with barriers,...

The fight itself, however, wasn't that visually good. Toyotaro's fighting choreography is very limited in terms of variety and I swear he's reused several poses there a dozen or so times by now.
      When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

RedHeat
      Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm not going to say the majority, but it's pretty funny that the narrative of Beerus being the strongest GoD is stuck with a lot of the community and it appears to be growing as well.
      Feels over Reals.

pacz360
      I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:41 pm

RedHeat wrote:I'm not going to say the majority, but it's pretty funny that the narrative of Beerus being the strongest GoD is stuck with a lot of the community and it appears to be growing as well.
      That's because people didn't bother waiting for translations nor care for context

Lord Beerus
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:52 pm

LightBing wrote:
      Lord Beerus wrote: Quitela watching two rodents like creature fight each other in death-sport quasi-Mad Max like miniature setting
      He's holding a controller, he's playing a video game. Probably trying to get into Dragon Ball FighterZ before Beerus to mess with him. :P
      Ah. Mistake. I didn't spot the controller when I read the chapter. That's an equally fun scenario.

emperior
      I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:04 pm

This chapter was amazing, really. The "move without thinking" part was done very well, I liked how Beerus truly seemed to be absent-minded when dodging the other Gods' attacks. Characterization was great, Toyotaro really made all these Gods shine while in the anime they are more in the background unfortunately. I hope Toyotaro can keep this up, because his Future Trunks arc also started very strong, but then it ended up being mediocre and a lot inferior to the anime version. As always, it's really unfortunate Toei and Toyotaro don't collaborate more. I wish Super's anime and manga were the exact same thing to be honest, but it seems like they are making them as different as possible on purpose.
      悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

BlueBasilisk
      I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Pretty good chapter, all in all. It's interesting that they still have everyone blaming Goku and Beerus for instigating the tournament. We the audience know that's not the case and Goku might not know it either since he doesn't know Zeno was planning to erase all but four of the Universes just before he got there. We'll see if they expand further on that in later chapters. It also makes the Grand Priest look a lot less shady, though him not telling Goku what the Zenos were talking about and wishing Toppo well as a God of Destruction is rather dubious.

All the scenes with the two Zenos and the mention of the Hide and Seek Invitational really make me think we're heading toward either a merged universes scenario as Zeno now believes there are too many universes in both versions, or a scenario where he's so entertained by the Tournament of Power that he decides to spar the Universes or bring them back so that they can continue to have more and better tournaments in the future.

ConfusedPhantom
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:09 pm

What they did with Goku's mistake makes sense for what the anime is doing later on. It would explain why it feels so wishy washy about him being a bad guy in the anime, even though it would've been a neat idea. Though, I hope Toyotaro goes places with everyone not liking Goku for this. I really like how they characterized the rest of the Gods of Destruction.