Super Episode 109-110 (8 October 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RedHeat
Regular

Re: Super Episode 109-110 (8 October 2017)

Post by RedHeat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:02 am

Honestly, if these episodes didn't cut it for anyone then maybe you should be thinking about dropping Super IMO.
Feels over Reals.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:16 am

Yep, the special was amazing. My god I wish we hadn't been spoiled about the next episodes, because the cliffhanger with Freeza was chilling. It's almost certainly a red herring though. Freeza wasn't in this much, but the way he never lost his cool even when seeing what Goku and Jiren could do is amazing on it's own. What could he possibly have over these two that makes him so confident? Oh, and poor Hit.

Predictions about the new form being a payoff for Whis' teachings about moving before thinking were bang on the money. I have to say, this might be one of the most impressive new forms ever. The thing about transformations in Dragon Ball is no matter how cool they look, there isn't much appreciable difference between how the character fights before and after changing except they're usually winning all of a sudden. But seeing this one in action almost felt like watching a different show. The POV shot looking through the aura, the sudden cut to Jiren where we're not sure which one just teleported in front of the other, the Matrix-esque dodging. It was unreal.

And the MUSIC, my god. I thought the instrumental version of Limit Break x Survivor during the Spirit Bomb gathering would be the highlight, but then the insert song comes in for part two! That's going to be popping up all over Youtube in days, mark my words.

The writing for the special itself was a mixed bag. I appreciate that for the first time since 97 or possibly 100, it truly felt like a Battle Royale where events were affecting everyone. I particularly liked the understated badass moment where it looks like Jiren's won and fighters from other universe start surrounding him, despite what Belmod said about how beating Goku would cause everyone else to give up. That and the Grand Priest's words about how everyone needed to keep fighting no matter what happened made it feel like the stakes were truly raised. Beerus' fear for Goku and the Zeno's hesitance to mark him out on the Godpad were nice, subtle character moments as well.

On the negative side, the Ribrianne fight was pretty underwhelming. There was some cool moments, but the way it segued into Jiren was so awkward it felt like the writers were like "shit, better wrap this up quickly" even though the joke with her thinking he was in love with her was kind of cute. Jiren himself had more to do and say but is still lacking in personality, which is disappointing. I think assuming he was a Superman stand in might have been wrong, after this episode he feels more like a Saitama. Also, he, Goku and Ribrianne all get moments where they talk about what they'd with the Super Dragon Balls if they won. We don't learn what Jirens is, Ribriannes was predictably shallow and Goku says he doesn't know yet. This feels like something they should have addressed ages ago since EVERYONE is assuming they'll be used to bring back the erased universes. To have Goku be like "ooh, maybe I'll just give it to Chichi"...you'd better have been being coy there, Son.
Last edited by Kataphrut on Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:19 am

I'm not going to lie, that one shot of Beerus's reaction to Goku's supposed defeat and the thought of all his hope of survival flying out the window was indeed chilling. I actually thought we might see Beerus collapse into tears for once.

chickensguys
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chickensguys » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:22 am

Great set of episodes. My only complaint is that I found it odd how excited Whis and the other gods got but then gave a very unexciting explanation. Just a temporary increase? I wonder if there is more to it. Goku fell into a black hole people. lol

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:24 am

Crunchyroll and FUNimation took a worse beating than all of the characters combined. Onto the episode:

-I really wanted Jiren to rip Ribrianne apart. She's been getting on my nerves these past episodes as her charm wore off for me a while ago. I thought her Super Ribrianne thing would be something more than just her normal transformed state with wings. She doesn't seem that strong or skilled even with it.
-Helles nearly performs her trademark moves. I love seeing her and Belmod freak out when things don't go her way.
-Interestingly, Goku used all of his transformations against Jiren but SSJ3. I still think Super Saiyan God is unnecessary at this stage.
-It seems that Jiren is a Janemba-type character, strong powers but no personality. Unfortunately for Jiren, he has no unique moveset unlike Janemba.
-So far, I enjoyed all the soundtracks, including the insert song barring its annoying vocal chants. Hearing Super's earlier tracks is the equivalent to hearing to young children's TV show music. It seems like a trend that whenever Goku has a big fight in a tournament, an insert song will play during its climax.
-The new ending song is more of my thing. The last one was overwhelmingly overrated for me, I didn't like it at all. I even prefered "Boogie Back".
-I love how Quitela and Freeza are calm about the events in these episodes.
-Freeza of all people donated his energy for a genki-dama. My life is complete.
-It says a lot that Tenshinhan is given an explanation of martial arts by Krillin and Roshi.

comeso GmbH can still suck it.
Last edited by Torturephile on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:26 am

chickensguys wrote:Great set of episodes. My only complaint is that I found it odd how excited Whis and the other gods got but then gave a very unexciting explanation. Just a temporary increase? I wonder if there is more to it. Goku fell into a black hole people. lol
Like they said it's hard to tell exactly what was going on, Whis had an idea. We'll found out more next episode but they did tease would he able to do it again which I think he obviously will, I bet we'll see it again in the finale.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:26 am

See everyone seems to really like this episode but then in a couple episodes time there will be an episode that will just be mediocre and then people will turn on the series again and complain about it and how the show does so much wrong.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:26 am

Well, I liked the Kaioken x20 fight more than the fight in the new form. Maybe I'll have to watch again.

It's as good as the average DBZ episode, a nice fight going on but not much exactly happens, it's just Goku having his butt handed for 40 minutes. I like episodes where things happen.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:27 am

Now that was nice right there! Man, if only Goku didn't run out of stamina so much for him to be using the Genki Dama as a temporary source of energy... so it was the CLASH between him and his Genki Dama that awakened it, not the GD itself... man, can't WAIT to see Hit vs Jiren! So glad I was wrong! :lol: Hope we see this form again and also... WE NEED A NAME! :lol:
Last edited by TheShadowEmperor8055 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:27 am

A roller coaster of an episode. Both of highs and lows.

Good
-Fantastic fighting. Really awesome battles the whole way through.
-The new form in motion looks amazing. Love it.
-The transformation sequence was also pretty awesome too.
-Goku's enlightenment and paying of the moving without thinking thing for each body part.
-Goku's entire fight choreography and movement was phenomenal. It was like he was a zombie or his body was pushing him while he was along for the ride.
-Freeza call back and reverse of him looking to give Goku ki.
-Awesome new music and placement.
-Whis' reaction to Goku was awesome. Love how excited he was.
-Beerus feeling threatened himself rather than happy. He's too busy worrying about how he compares rather than Goku coming back XD.

Bad
-Lot's of copy paste of Freeza arc. A lot of it. Almost as much as 100 and Broly references.
-Genki dama from 9 people somehow accumulates that much power, when raw ki has never been how it worked, and if it were they'd go full power before sending their energy.
-All the Ribrianne stuff. Cept for getting bitch smacked by Vegeta.
-Vegeta not giving his energy when fucking Freeza of all people did....that's really lame. He is NOT that petty. If anything the reverse would make more sense with Freeza refusing but Vegeta donating.
-The whole feeling out thing despite already having an idea of where he ranks. Toppo already made him go practically all out, so of course anything beneath that basically is not going to give any new information
-A lot of the new insert was wasted on talking instead of the awesome fight.
-Genki Dama bit as a minor nitpick, kinda went on a little too long and felt like a game of Hot Space Potato.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:30 am

Ok ok so, Vegeta not contributing was in-character, but still assholish lmao. At least he helped Goku not get interrupted by... Ribranne, of ALL people. Wow, she's a hypocrite for trying to interrupt the process. :lol: But hey, all's fair in love and war! :lol:

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:34 am

Sandubadear wrote:It's as good as the average DBZ episode
As I'm going through DBZ again at the moment and watching these average DBZ episodes every day, they are nowhere near as good as what this episode is or even quite a few recent episodes.

There's probably not more than a handful of episodes in the entire DBZ series that was better than this one.

Diggz92

Post by Diggz92 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:36 am

Amazing episode but they messed up and put the girl #17 knocked off and brought her back in the ring

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:38 am

Ah! So that's why Frieza has memories of Namek! He's gonna give Goku energy! The tables have been turned huh? Man, Toriyama is one clever writer.
Last edited by superfan2024 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:38 am

Watching that part again! I think Goku was so drained of energy that he couldn't even speak much whilst in his new form... he was really relying on that temporary GD energy and his body was literally moving on its own...
Last edited by TheShadowEmperor8055 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:40 am

Diggz92 wrote:Amazing episode but they messed up and put the girl #17 knocked off and brought her back in the ring
Wow really, thats quite an error, the flying one?

I just had a thought that needs some appreciation. Gokus act of kindness shown to his worst enemy at the time is now coming full circle. Who would have ever thought

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:43 am

Jiren is the worst most boring character in Dragon Ball history.

How and why can anyone like him? Please explain to me.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:49 am

This was said before, but it also seems the red aura was a red herring... or maybe that was him using Kaioken with his new transformation? :think:

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:49 am

Vados_chan wrote:Jiren is the worst most boring character in Dragon Ball history.

How and why can anyone like him? Please explain to me.
Lots of people like Broly. :shifty:
Feels over Reals.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:51 am

I can't complain. These were quality episodes with good action, awesome new soundtracks, and they actually explained Goku's transformation while still giving it an air of mystery. It's not just some random form either--Whis has been foreshadowing this technique since the beginning of the series. These are hands down the best episodes Super has delivered and on par with some of the best of Z. You heard that from me.

Jiren is still boring though. I wish Hit was the one introduced in this arc as the main antagonist.

Also, shout out to the guy I told I would delete my account here if it turned out Jiren was not the mortal stronger than a GoD. Guess I can keep it. ^.^
Bullza wrote:See everyone seems to really like this episode but then in a couple episodes time there will be an episode that will just be mediocre and then people will turn on the series again and complain about it and how the show does so much wrong.
Well yeah, these were great episodes, but that doesn't mean the rest of the arc hasn't been pretty shitty. Two gems can't compensate for 90+ episodes of mediocrity/trash.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super