Super Episode 109-110 (8 October 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Episode 109-110 (8 October 2017)

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:30 am

MaskedRider wrote:
Cipher wrote:Do people hate Ribrianne because they're embarrassed to admit they're watching a show with Ribrianne in it?

Because Ribrianne wouldn't even crack the top five for me in terms of embarrassing things in Dragon Ball, and her fight and comedy beats this episode were solid.

Some fragile sense of masculinity here.
This is how I feel too with the majority of comments about her...like...yeah she is supposed to be a parody of magical girls in ways but did they think that would stop once they introduced it? Nah we going to go 25 MPH to 125 MPH with her. I actually like her, she feels such like a Dragon Ball character in that I cannot imagine her working in any other series.
Ribrianne's got the same problem as the Ginyu Force had: she's a really paper thin parody. Once you see her first scene, you've basically seen all of them ever. It's one of those reasons Dragon Ball needs to realize it's bad at parodying stuff and stop doing it.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:34 am

sintzu wrote:They couldn't have started worse if they tried.
Agreed.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:39 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote:Honestly I am 1st off impressed I was the 1st it seems to come to mind when talking about Ribrianne, that in interesting and impressive!

But Honestly it is your view and you are entitled to it as a fan, but know I am the entire opposite of that opinion! ;)
That's cool, and I can see reasons why people like her. Compared to Jiren, she has personality in spades. I just don't really care for her personally.
It took blue to take her down and still she was not even damaged. If Jiren was not their the fight I am certain the fight would have continued. See was no way out or low level! ;)
Sorry, have to disagree with you on this one. Goku and Vegeta were knocking her around the ring in their base forms. Goku literally knocked Ribrianne out of her "Cupid form" with just one kick as an SSB, a form with wildly variable power, as many can attest to. At best, I can say she perhaps has Majin Buu levels of resilience with how much abuse she's taken. In terms of power or being a threat, she was no more than filler this special, in my eyes.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:40 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
MaskedRider wrote:
Cipher wrote:Do people hate Ribrianne because they're embarrassed to admit they're watching a show with Ribrianne in it?

Because Ribrianne wouldn't even crack the top five for me in terms of embarrassing things in Dragon Ball, and her fight and comedy beats this episode were solid.

This is how I feel too with the majority of comments about her...like...yeah she is supposed to be a parody of magical girls in ways but did they think that would stop once they introduced it? Nah we going to go 25 MPH to 125 MPH with her. I actually like her, she feels such like a Dragon Ball character in that I cannot imagine her working in any other series.
Ribrianne's got the same problem as the Ginyu Force had: she's a really paper thin parody. Once you see her first scene, you've basically seen all of them ever. It's one of those reasons Dragon Ball needs to realize it's bad at parodying stuff and stop doing it.
I wouldn't say its that. I watched a lot of tokusatsu shows and the same logic could be applied (well I wouldn't even say its that, its true with how you seen one episode of Kamen Rider obliterating a monster you basically seen them all except for the episodes that do feel they have a progression in plot) and the only thing I can say is I don't mind it because its cool. The Ginyu Force is awesome because of how over the top they are but how serious they take themselves. Each their own but its personally my cup of tea when I see a henshin or have to hear moves being yelled out.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:45 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
sintzu wrote:They couldn't have started worse if they tried.
Agreed.
The time wasted on her could've gone into Fiji and jerin fight.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:49 am

MaskedRider wrote:I wouldn't say its that. I watched a lot of tokusatsu shows and the same logic could be applied (well I wouldn't even say its that, its true with how you seen one episode of Kamen Rider obliterating a monster you basically seen them all except for the episodes that do feel they have a progression in plot) and the only thing I can say is I don't mind it because its cool. The Ginyu Force is awesome because of how over the top they are but how serious they take themselves. Each their own but its personally my cup of tea when I see a henshin or have to hear moves being yelled out.
The Ginyu Force's problem is that they're weird people who take themselves seriously and yell out exaggerated attacks while doing stupid poses. That's literally the standard mcdefault of Dragon Ball: a series about weird people firing crazy attacks with dumb names and poses. "Recoome kick!" isn't any more ridiculous then Piccolo's Makankosappo or any other attack in DB.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:51 am

Accurate recreation of the fight:
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:57 am

You know, when reading the manga I always imagine these fights as like, lightning-fast spectacles where there's next to no breathing room between moves, where each action just instantly flows into the other and the intensity just does not let up at any point until they actually stop to do their usual smack-talk that inevitably happens in every fight. I feel like this is something the anime almost never manages to convey, be that due to budget restrictions, time restrictions, the need to fill out a 20 minute episode or what have you...

The brief match between Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Jiren in 109 was exactly the kind of Dragon Ball fight I've always wanted to see in animation. That, coupled with the epic Genkidama scene, and Goku's new form being quite frankly the most ridiculously badass we've ever seen him be... Yeah I'm pretty happy with this week's outing. For the first time in ages, I'm genuinely impressed with Dragon Ball Super.

dnavenom
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dnavenom » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:05 am

Anyone payed attention to Quitela in this episode? The other gods seemed pretty serious after Jiren unleashed his Ki, and the mouse just kept lounging an smiling. He doesn`t seem at all concerned that his universe has a few fighters left and one of them will have to fight Jiren probably. Made me wonder what is he up to.
Last edited by dnavenom on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatSaiyaman
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGreatSaiyaman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:08 am

Episode 109/110 just flipped the game around in terms of Dragon Ball super quality - before the special I was like ok, Goku what have you got for us...oh my word Goku practically went into the DB Speedforce or a black hole and came out with Ultra Instinct, and it was so beautiful, like wow :o . There's so many good things in this double, really well done! I rated Goku as one of my top 5 DB characters but dammn he stole that 1st spot for a bit...I'm not sure if any other characters can really get me that hype unless a certain ex-green tracksuit wearing son can pull something out but even then the bar is stupidly high. :clap:

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:20 am

Artorias wrote:
SaiyanZ wrote:Disappointed as usual in the writing, from Toshio Yoshitaka having Goku use a Genki Dama on someone he knows is a good guy, to the explanation for the form. At least the animation was pretty cool and the music at first was nice to listen to. Shouldn't really be surprised that Super fucked up this badly on a special they had been hyping for a month, but for w/e reason it still astounds me on how bad they are.
Your expectations are out of whack if this seriously disappointed you that much. Wasn't even close to a "fuck up". They nailed pretty much everything except the writing in CERTAIN parts. That's not enough to warrant that severe of a reaction.
I wasn't expecting great writing considering who was writing the eps and just how terrible Super is in general. Between that, what I said (which were the important parts essentially) and Goku in his Ultra Instinct-Omen state vs Jiren being under 3 min in a 52 min TV "special" that has been heavily hyped and marketed for a month, yes, I do consider it a failure. But like I said, the animation was cool and some of the music was on point, at least early on.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:24 am

Maybe they dislike her because she's annoying and has long overstayed her welcome. If she's just here to provide meaningless fluff, then she shouldn't be here at all. The gimmick is over and done with. Give us something new or get out.
Last edited by Doctor. on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:25 am

Tombstone1988 wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:Honestly I am 1st off impressed I was the 1st it seems to come to mind when talking about Ribrianne, that in interesting and impressive!

But Honestly it is your view and you are entitled to it as a fan, but know I am the entire opposite of that opinion! ;)
That's cool, and I can see reasons why people like her. Compared to Jiren, she has personality in spades. I just don't really care for her personally.
It took blue to take her down and still she was not even damaged. If Jiren was not their the fight I am certain the fight would have continued. See was no way out or low level! ;)
Sorry, have to disagree with you on this one. Goku and Vegeta were knocking her around the ring in their base forms. Goku literally knocked Ribrianne out of her "Cupid form" with just one kick as an SSB, a form with wildly variable power, as many can attest to. At best, I can say she perhaps has Majin Buu levels of resilience with how much abuse she's taken. In terms of power or being a threat, she was no more than filler this special, in my eyes.
Typing this from my IPhone.

Glad we can agree why fans like her instead of questioning why people don't like her to verbatim levels of silly! ;) :lol:

But again I disagree with you completely on the fight. Again Vegeta remember in 102 was at SSJ-1 level and she tanked that with easy. Also really one kick with NO damage to her does not even come close to equaling out class or out-powered. Again the really only reason that fight ended was cause Jiren is as their.

Otherwise I would have expected it to go much longer and add blue levels was easy! ;)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:27 am

Doctor. wrote:

Maybe they dislike her because she's annoying and has long overstayed her welcome. If she's just here to provide meaningless fluff, then she shouldn't be here at all. The gimmick is over and done with.
Only in your eyes and others, she has a role to play in this tournament as I can get into details about latter if need be and Toei keeps showing they have interest in pushing her.

That is the reality . ;)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:47 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote:Only in your eyes and others, she has a role to play in this tournament as I can get into details about latter if need be and Toei keeps showing they have interest in pushing her.

That is the reality . ;)
Monaka also had a role to play in the last tournament, it doesn't mean that people liked him any more.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:49 am

dnavenom wrote:Anyone payed attention to Quitelain this episode? The other gods seemed pretty serious after Jiren unleashed his Ki, and the mouse just kept lounging an smiling. He doesn`t seem at all concerned that his universe has a few fighters left and one of them will have to fight Jiren probably. Made me wonder what is he up to.
It probably has something to do with the cicadas. My guess is that he literally recruited them because they're so small that most people wouldn't notice them.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:50 am

Oh, you are absolutely on point here. I was going to say the same thing.

AlexB2

Post by AlexB2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:04 am

How come Zeno's didn't do anything when Toen Krillin amd roshi gave their energy to Goku from the stands ?

I mean, Frost got erased because he tried to interfere after his loss during the the tournament...

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:13 am

For the people who for some reason think that Ribrianne is the worst thing to come out of DB, Dolltaki would like to have a word with you. Oh wait, he's from GT, so it doesn't count.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:18 am

Artorias wrote:But they'd be right. The series DOES do a LOT wrong.
All the different series do a lot wrong.