Super Episode 112 (22 October 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 112 (22 October 2017)

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:41 am

I loved this episode!

It's always nice to see the focus put on Universe 6, no matter how short-lived it may be. Vegeta may have a grizzled and tough exterior, but he has a soft spot for the things he cares about most. BTW, what do people think about Vegeta coming up with the idea of using the Super Dragon Balls to revive people before Goku? :lol:

Cabba, you may have gotten dumped on throughout the episode, but at least you got your moment to shine.

Freeza, you slimy limey, you cheeky freaky! You got plans to rule over all of existence, and you intend on not letting anything stand in your way. You're just a treat.

Also, I absolutely loved how Toppo pushed the Goku button. As the Abridged Vegeta would say......

Ya shouldn't have done that!

Okora

Post by Okora » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:51 am

LightBing wrote:The episode was enjoyable and I loved Vegeta and Caulifla here.

Unfortunately this is in part a copy of Vegeta vs Cabba at the U6 tournament. Get Cabba all riled up and you got yourself a brand new Saiyan transformation. That Galick Gun from Cabba made me role my eyes I guess he learn it from watching Vegeta do it at the U6 tournament(he did it right?), nothing unusual there I just don't like being with in the head "CABBA'S VEGETA'S DISCIPLE SEE HE EVEN HAS THE GALICK GUN!".

I guess it's thematic in Dragon Ball but I just don't like it here when it's just fluff. At least they gave him the kick blasts.

The episode was successful in setting up what's to come, with the titbits of the other fight's.

Freeza once again was awesome, I didn't even mind seeing him in Golden since it's such a beautiful transformation but the anime sure loves redundancy. Freeza doesn't get the MVP award this episode because Vegeta was awesome, sharing the prize with Toppo just for that sick burn. :lol:
Video games all call it galick Cannon. It just seems more likely that Cabba simply knows a similar move to galic gun rather than coping vegeta

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:57 am

Lord Beerus wrote:- I continue love Caulifa more and more she appear. She just oozes charisma with how confident and commanding she is. And her realising just how she is (A Saiyan) after watching Goku and Jiren battle and believing she can still get much, much stronger was a really nice moment. I've said this before but Caulilfa really does feel like a like a hybrid of Kid Goku and Post Majin Boo arc Vegeta, with how enthusiastic, energetic and zealous she is towards scenarios as well as how how self-assured, cocky and bold she is. Her personality is really well balanced.
Her personality is about as well balanced as a bowling ball could rest on a needle. I'd rather shove the needle up my ass than engage in such a pointless exercise.

Caulifla is an arrogant prick who becomes more and more annoying with every appearance she puts in. I cannot think of a more grating character that this franchise has produced. From her "tingly back" magic powerup bullshit to her self-aggrandizing better-than-everyone attitude, this arrogant cunt of a plot device and her Mary Sue powered exaggerated sense of self-importance exemplify the absolute worst of pure-blooded saiyan characters. I was glad when Vegeta finally pulled his head out of his ass after the Cell arc, because up until then he was pushing an absolute limit of what I could tolerate in terms of being a cocky asshole, and now I get to watch it again in a new character who has put in about 2% of the work and has a charm rating of fucking zero? No thanks.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:06 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Caulifla is an arrogant prick who becomes more and more annoying with every appearance she puts in. I cannot think of a more grating character that this franchise has produced. From her "tingly back" magic powerup bullshit to her self-aggrandizing better-than-everyone attitude, this arrogant cunt of a plot device and her Mary Sue powered exaggerated sense of self-importance exemplify the absolute worst of pure-blooded saiyan characters. I was glad when Vegeta finally pulled his head out of his ass after the Cell arc, because up until then he was pushing an absolute limit of what I could tolerate in terms of being a cocky asshole, and now I get to watch it again in a new character who has put in about 2% of the work and has a charm rating of fucking zero? No thanks.

Wow. I mean, I get where you are coming from, and agree with some of that, but that is some diatribe.

Kale, Caulifla and Ribrianne really aren't popular with the majority of western fans it seems, but apparently the Japanese fandom like them for the most part.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:09 am

I don't see the big deal in Caulifla getting all the forms pretty quickly. Her body is clearly strong enough to achieve the forms already, at this point it's just about unlocking them for her. Every Saiyan character has grown through seeing the potential that they're capable of, based on other Saiyans.

Honestly, I love her. She's cocky, sure, but the sense of sisterhood she and Kale have is a real positive step for the franchise, and watching them fight and having each others' backs has been great. The fact that the main hope of Universe 6 is two powerful females, whose characters have little to do with gender, is pretty great in my eyes.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:13 am

Michsi wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:Caulifla is an arrogant prick who becomes more and more annoying with every appearance she puts in. I cannot think of a more grating character that this franchise has produced. From her "tingly back" magic powerup bullshit to her self-aggrandizing better-than-everyone attitude, this arrogant cunt of a plot device and her Mary Sue powered exaggerated sense of self-importance exemplify the absolute worst of pure-blooded saiyan characters. I was glad when Vegeta finally pulled his head out of his ass after the Cell arc, because up until then he was pushing an absolute limit of what I could tolerate in terms of being a cocky asshole, and now I get to watch it again in a new character who has put in about 2% of the work and has a charm rating of fucking zero? No thanks.

Wow. I mean, I get where you are coming from, and agree with some of that, but that is some diatribe.

Kale, Caulifla and Ribrianne really aren't popular with the majority of western fans it seems, but apparently the Japanese fandom like them for the most part.
I probably could have toned it down somewhat.

I just find it amazing that this is a character who people are saying could be the lead in a spin-off when she is written so badly and exhumes cocky, entitled arrogance worse than a shit makes stink. I personally can't stand her.

I mean, to each his own. But damn, I hope we catch a break from her after this arc is over.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:15 am

Hana Midorikawa wrote:
Asura wrote:
precita wrote:
Yes, what more do you want?
An interesting character with a personality.
Cabba has a personality. You and others need to stop acting as if a character has no personality when they clearly do. Not every character needs to be super complex or eccentric or overly animated. Whether or not you find him interesting is subjective, I for one find him completely interesting and loved seeing him in action this episode.
Exactly this shit is gonna become another buzzword for shit I don't like

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:17 am

pacz360 wrote:
Hana Midorikawa wrote:
Asura wrote:
An interesting character with a personality.
Cabba has a personality. You and others need to stop acting as if a character has no personality when they clearly do. Not every character needs to be super complex or eccentric or overly animated. Whether or not you find him interesting is subjective, I for one find him completely interesting and loved seeing him in action this episode.
I dislike Cabba, particularly after this episode, but I certainly wouldn't deny that he has personality. Let's not have "personality" become another misused word in the tradition of "asspull" and "jobbing".

Okora

Post by Okora » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:18 am

KingKaash wrote:Up and down episode to me

Positives:

-Vegeta not being portrayed badly. Vegeta not giving energy to Goku's Spirit Bomb was a real low point for him but seeing him reveal his wish to resurrect everyone if he wins the ToP put him back on the good guy column
-Frieza continues to impress every time he's shown. Beating up on the exhausted Cabba was classic Frieza. Though I was a bit surprised he had to go Golden Frieza to not get harmed by SSJ2 Cabba's attack, he did mention right after that it was not a good idea to waste his energy to go Golden to eliminate Cabba, which makes me think he didn't need to

Mixed:

-Not focusing on Piccolo and Vegeta's fight with the U6 Namekians. I hope an episode gets devoted to that. I don't like these little scenes of potentially good fights
-Not focusing on Vegeta vs Toppo. Another incredible fight that is happening off-screen that needs to get it's own episode. These big-time fights not being shown results in choppiness in the flow of the episode because we want to see this happen but then we get to the main focus which is only Cabba vs Monna. Have the main guys fight fodder off-screen.
-Cabba's SSJ2 transformation felt a bit forced. I would've liked if Monna kept going up and down and crushing Cabba deeper into the ground while saying those things about Vegeta, Caulifla and Kale. Then Cabba going SSJ2 from down there and fending off Monna would've been so much better. It seems Cabba becoming SSJ2 is a sign that Caulifla needs to get a new form in the near future to keep ahead of Cabba
-Writers losing a really good opportunity to give Goku a break and focus on other characters. I like seeing Goku. And I understand the strategy of the GoDs is to eliminate a very weakened Goku because this is their best chance. Still I think the writers could've not given Goku fights for a about two episodes to "rest his body." Then when the U3 robots attacked, Android 17 & 18 could come to protect him and further their stories. They did do that when the U6 Namekians attacked Goku by having Gohan and Piccolo jump in. But unfortunately they could not leave completely Goku alone.
-Caulifla attacking Goku at this point of the ToP. Again Goku is extremely exhausted. I'd rather see Goku vs Caulifla when Goku is bit more rested and recovered. But I guess fighting an exhausted Goku is a way for Caulifla to stand a chance

Did Goku really say he's going SSJ3 against Caulifla in the next episode??? This dude Goku is trying to recover and he's about to use the form that expends the most energy??? WTF? I didn't see it visually in the preview so I hope that doesn't happen because that makes no sense.
How exactly was his transformation forced? Gohan got it by watching a random stranger get killed Cabba got it being told the people he care about are worthless and weak

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:29 am

MegaBossMan wrote:Every single character that appeared in this episode was written perfectly. It's just going to puzzle me seeing people vehemently hate Caulifla after this episode, but frankly it's expected at this point. Regardless, I'm hoping in the future that if there's another Ribrianne-centric episode, Toshio gets to try his hand at the character. He does a really superb job with fleshing out and having fun with characters, which is something RiBrianne needs after the poor showing she's been giving in the Tournament.

If there's one negative, there's going to be an awful lot of kinky fan-artwork done with the Universe 4 fighter :sick:
Yes :twisted:

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:34 am

Michsi wrote: Wow. I mean, I get where you are coming from, and agree with some of that, but that is some diatribe.

I wouldn't even say it's a majority of the western fandom, just a vocal hatedom who get triggered at the thought of her and can't stop bitching about how much they hate her or writing out their lurid revenge fics whenever she's mentioned. I saw a bunch of people doing it last night with that "fat *****" Ribrianne and she wasn't seen or even MENTIONED in this episode.

Okora

Post by Okora » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:39 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
Hana Midorikawa wrote: Cabba has a personality. You and others need to stop acting as if a character has no personality when they clearly do. Not every character needs to be super complex or eccentric or overly animated. Whether or not you find him interesting is subjective, I for one find him completely interesting and loved seeing him in action this episode.
I dislike Cabba, particularly after this episode, but I certainly wouldn't deny that he has personality. Let's not have "personality" become another misused word in the tradition of "asspull" and "jobbing".
I don't understand what there is for him to be dislike. He doesn't have enough screen time for him to be dislike and even when he does show up all he cares about is protecting others

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:52 am

MajinMan wrote:Cabba was great this episode. I felt that his moments and power ups were well earned. The way Freeza took him out was also pretty chilling, showing how Freeza will take whatever chance he gets to eliminate fatigued warriors. And back to Cabba's power up, you know how this fandom works. There's probably a bunch of people going, "OmG, CaBbA jUsT pUlleD SsJ2 OuT oF hiS aSs. WhAt ShiT wRiGhTiNg. DbS sUcKs." Why the hell are people so obsessed with knocking down the U6 Saiyans power ups? They're not main characters. They don't need to "earn" anything. If they do, then it's a bonus, like tonight. Just because they're Saiyans doesn't mean shit. I bet nobody gives a damn about the two Namekians putting up a fight against Gohan and Piccolo, but if they were Saiyans the world would explode.
I half-agree with you here. Just being a Saiyan shouldn't mean shit. It likely wouldn't either; I don't recall hearing many complaints about Future Trunks showing up with SSJ already unlocked. I think the main problem really arises from how Super set up the Universe 6 Saiyans in the first place. They portrayed them as being Saiyans with a different evolutionary process (hence the lack of tails) and having no such thing as a Super Saiyan legend. Before Vegeta helped Cabba tap into the Super Saiyan form, it was unheard of in Universe 6. Now in this arc, we're just speeding through forms like it's an 80's montage. Let's do a list of every newly acquired transformation since this arc began:

1.) SSJ for Caulifla
2.) Super Saiyan Berserk for Kale
3.) SSJ2 for Caulifla
4.) SSJ(?) for Kale (the controlled form in episode 101)
5.) Ultra Instinct for Goku
6.) SSJ2 for Cabba

I've heard the term "transformation fatigue" thrown around and I can understand why. They're cramming all these transformations in a short time span.

As for "earning" it, I think you're just looking at it with a different mindset. Many people have fond memories of watching Goku tap into his anger against Freeza and unleash Super Saiyan, or Gohan's explosion of rage against Cell. There were events and build-up that lead to these transformations. Having Caulifla tingle her back and turn on SSJ can be seen by some as lessening the value of Goku's transformation on Namek. Of course, this issue also isn't exclusive to Saiyans. I still remember how epic the initial Kamehameha fired by Master Roshi was; now Kamehamehas are a dime a dozen. Saiyans and their transformations are just held in a higher regard than energy techniques.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:53 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Michsi wrote: Wow. I mean, I get where you are coming from, and agree with some of that, but that is some diatribe.

I wouldn't even say it's a majority of the western fandom, just a vocal hatedom who get triggered at the thought of her and can't stop bitching about how much they hate her or writing out their lurid revenge fics whenever she's mentioned. I saw a bunch of people doing it last night with that "fat *****" Ribrianne and she wasn't seen or even MENTIONED in this episode.
Yeah people in YouTube and Twitter are really stupid they still keep bitching about Ribrianne, whenever she on screen or not gosh it's getting annoying yeah you can dislike Ribrianne but try not to go over the top with it.
Last edited by Spider-Man on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:54 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:

Yeah I see a lot of people say they want Freeza to attack her. Like Freeza is some type of retribution character. Freeza is a villain and a great one but the way fans want him to attack and hurt characters they don’t like is actually pretty disturbing.

A lot of Dragonball fans are really nasty and hypocritical. They get upset when someone attacks their favorite character but see no issue bashing another character or hoping that character loses badly.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:54 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:

There's disliking a character, then there's unhealthy levels of vitriol.

And I thought shipping brought out the worst in fans.

But I'd dare say that a good portion of the western fans aren't happy about Ribrianne, Kale and Cauli, just that most aren't as vocal.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:00 am

Michsi wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:

There's disliking a character, then there's unhealthy levels of vitriol.

And I thought shipping brought out the worst in fans.

But I'd dare say that a good portion of the western fans aren't happy about Ribrianne, Kale and Cauli, just that most aren't as vocal.
I don't hate ribrianne and I actually like her
Kale and caulifla are mixed results to me but they have potential

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:05 am

I'll be 100% honest. At first I thought it would be Freeza to eliminate Toppo. Now its clear, that job belongs to Vegeta.

So that opens up Freeza once again. He hasn't had the need to use golden against anyone yet; Cabba doesn't count that was all show.

Maybe he takes out kale and ssj3 caulifa... yeah that little shit is gonna unlock it.

Shlugo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shlugo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:08 am

"Of course I'm scared... of my own infinite potential!" - Caulifla is the best thing that came out of this arc, and no one can convince me otherwise. :D

Man, being Cabba is suffering, first he struggles against a random "fodder of the week" and even after getting a pep talk from Vegeta and going SSJ 2 he is then quickly eliminated by Freeza.

At least he has trust in Caulifla and Kale to hold the line. Those two are U6 only hope.

Vegeta vs Toppo, a battle of second fiddles. Toppo already has an advantage from the start, he burned Vegeta pretty well.

Lol, Caulifla made a short work of those robots. Goku vs Caulifla round 2! And we'll finally see SSJ 3 again! It was quite some time.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:11 am

MajinMan wrote:
They already had solo fights. In fact, Gohan has had about 3 solo fights. One against Botamo, another with Obuni, and one with the Yardrat. Piccolo took out the dreadlocks guy all by himself with no help. So they both technically had their solo fights already.
For me, the problem isn't about solo fights. I just want Piccolo and Gohan to interact with more people than just each other like how Gohan interactive with Freeze in 108.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.