Who do you think is the worst character in Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TobyS
I Live Here

Re: Who do you think is the worst character in Dragon Ball?

Post by TobyS » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Vegeta is boring he's like nearly 60 years old but still acts like a pathetic anti social edgy stroppy teenager, the z-team welcomed him in despite him ordering all their executions and endangering their planet multiple times.

He's boring as he has the same powers and transformations as the main character but worse. He doesn't have the novelty factor of an android or a Namek or even a human in relation to Goku.

He's a crappy boring character but is never acknowledged as such.

His character arc that everyone over-praises is “mass murdering psycho” to a “not a *really evil one* but still a complete prick who never repents for his past genocides and is rude to his wife's childhood friends”

He also gets way too much screen time for how boring he is. Many of his fans are spoiled brats he gets more screen time than anyone other than Goku and they don't appreciate it. And fans of other characters are left fighting over scraps of scraps.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:57 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
SmugStick wrote:I don’t hate any character, but I really dislike Vegeta. I just find him really overrated. But the worst character for me would probably be Broly. Worst back story and just super lame overall.
Worst backstory? really? goku's backstory is better?

edit: And I saw like 3 people saying that Broly is the worst character, explain pls.
His story is basically an OC Mary Sue.
Born with a power level of 10K, stronger than any character at the time, survived planet Vegeta...
The whole idea of a legendary SSJ who was made insane and obsessed with a man because he cried next to him is ridiculous.
He represents, to me, the worst parts of Dragonball. The muscle obsessed (can't think of a synonym rn), screaming, mindless part of Dragonball and its community.
My immortal Phoenix died of food poisoning

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8udQV ... 4GFPrFEPzg
Twitter https://twitter.com/SmugStick

SmugStick
Patreon Supporter

Post by SmugStick » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:00 pm

TobyS wrote:Vegeta is boring he's like nearly 60 years old but still acts like a pathetic anti social edgy stroppy teenager, the z-team welcomed him in despite him ordering all their executions and endangering their planet multiple times.

He's boring as he has the same powers and transformations as the main character but worse. He doesn't have the novelty factor of an android or a Namek or even a human in relation to Goku.

His character arc that everyone over-praises is “mass murdering psycho” to a “not a *really evil one* but still a complete prick who never repents for his past genocides and is rude to his wife's childhood friends”

He also gets way too much screen time for how boring he is. Many of his fans are spoiled brats he gets more screen time than anyone other than Goku and they don't appreciate it. And fans of other characters are left fighting over scraps of scraps.
I agree with all your points, especially now in Super. I thought he made some real process at the end of Boo where he admitted Goku was the better of the two, however, no... I guess not...
My immortal Phoenix died of food poisoning

Missions complete:
All Of Kai
All DB on DVD
Current Missions:
Dragon Boxes (Funi)
GT season 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8udQV ... 4GFPrFEPzg
Twitter https://twitter.com/SmugStick

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:00 pm

TobyS wrote:Vegeta is boring he's like nearly 60 years old but still acts like a pathetic anti social edgy stroppy teenager, the z-team welcomed him in despite him ordering all their executions and endangering their planet multiple times.

Notices the Yamcha avatar what a surprise (and note I have no hate towards Yamcha he's a good guy)

My favorite is Vegeta is a crappy boring character but never acknowledged as such. Who exactly should acknowledge him as a crappy boring character? News flash he gets the second most screen time because he happens to be the second most popular character. Oh Vegeta haters crack me up. :lol:

And Vegeta has developed into a good guy who 100% cares about others the fact that people can't see that or don't get that he is a Tsundere (often acts differently on the outside from how really feels on the inside) has to be one of the most frustrating things about Vegeta haters. Or the fact that acknowledging Goku is the best doesn't mean he is going to stop trying to be stronger than him considering he never ever said that and it goes against everything Vegeta stands for.

edit: And I so knew this thread was going to devolve into bashing. People can't state they aren't a fan of how a character is written without turning to character bashing and attacking the fans of the character (ie calling fans of a character spoiled brats). Typical!

hunduel
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hunduel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:24 pm

sintzu wrote:That's exactly why people don't take feminists seriously.
If you had me for a brief moment, you completely lost me with that one sentence. Not only you literally have no actual reasons to hate the characters, but you're saying nonsense by now.

The characters you've mentioned are all passive characters with obvious "female beauty" as (one of their) main attribute (even Genkai, who is somewhat special in this case, but still counts), and the characters you hate are all anti-trope ones with somewhat average to ugly look.

I'd have understood if you have Ribrianne because of her extremely eccentric and over the top personality.
I'd have understood if you hated the saiyans because they develop too fast compared to not only their U7 counterparts, but their own kind (Cabba)

But you literally hate them because they are ugly.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:51 pm

TobyS wrote:Many of his fans are spoiled brats, he gets more screen time than anyone other than Goku and they don't appreciate it.

And fans of other characters are left fighting over scraps of scraps.
:mrgreen:

:lol:
hunduel wrote:The characters you've mentioned are all passive characters with obvious "female beauty" as (one of their) main attribute.

Genkai is somewhat special in this case but still counts.

I'd have understood if you have Ribrianne because of her extremely eccentric and over the top personality.

But you literally hate them because they are ugly.
That's not why I like them, their personality is my attraction to them. I like how Vados gets on Champa's nerves and I like the respect the other 2 get when they're around. Yeah they all have good designs but their designs have nothing to do with why I like them. Fairy tail is full of very pretty women but I could care less about them to the point where I don't even remember their names apart form Erza.

If she doesn't fit the bill you're putting my taste in then how does she count ? Genkai (and Shui from Naruto) puts an end to whatever argument you can use against me.

I do which is why I said she and the other 2 are annoying.

Among other reason yes, I don't like how they are designed, just like I don't like how men (and women) in One Piece are so does that make me a man hater as well ? Genkai is an old lady but she has a badd ass design and personality, same thing with Grandma Shui from Naruto who helped Sakura kill Sasuri. If I hated women characters then I'd hate all of them. Not every character is going to be to everyone's liking, that doesn't make them a hater.
Last edited by sintzu on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:52 pm

If we go from the "so bad they hurt the series" angle then my pick would be Broly. The terrible embodiment of the worst aspects of the franchise that's workship and championed by tons of fans, loud, screaming, power up with no end, power levels, muscle and strenght and MAXIMUM obsession with all the stuff I mentioned.

If we go from the "so bad they are bland, uninteresting and boring" then my pick would.....Pu'Ar? I sometimes forget it exist and...nothing else, nothing worth noting.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:09 pm

I don't think there are any character I hate enough or think are out of place that deserve being called the worst when it comes to Dragonball I either like the character or just don't care about them enough to have any strong feelings toward them. But if I had to choose out of the main cast of important characters that I just happen to like the least, then I guess I would choose Vegeta.

Again, I don't hate Vegeta, I even kind of like him, but he is my least favorite of the main cast and I never found him nearly as cool as his hype.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:14 pm

Boo Machine wrote:I don't think there are any character I hate enough or think are out of place that deserve being called the worst when it comes to Dragonball I either like the character or just don't care about them enough to have any strong feelings toward them. But if I had to choose out of the main cast of important characters that I just happen to like the least, then I guess I would choose Vegeta.

Again, I don't hate Vegeta, I even kind of like him, but he is my least favorite of the main cast and I never found him nearly as cool as his hype.

Just want to say as a Vegeta fan I respect that you are not nasty about it. So thank you very much. This is what I mean about opinion vs character bashing.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:35 pm

I've never liked Satan.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:48 pm

Imma go with Yamu. He serves no purpose but to fulfill Toriyama's habit of introducing characters in pairs, he never actually does anything with his partner that requires two people, has no backstory, and could be removed from the story with no effect on anything.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Broly. Don't really understand how he's a great character like so many of his fans say.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:45 pm

Hm, how about Kibito? Literally the only memorable thing about him is Dabura killing him instantly. He's gone for the majority of the Boo arc too, because as I said he dies before they even enter Babidi's ship, and once he's revived he just hangs on the Kai planet in the background till he permanently fuses with Shin.

Then in Super he's de-fused...and he completely disappears. He's not even there at the TOP to watch the fate of his universe. He last appeared in the exhibition matches and then faded into obscurity.

I mean if you were to remove Kibito from the story almost nothing would change...they didn't even have to show Supreme Kai fuse as an example for Vegetto.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:23 pm

Chi-Chi, no question. Annoys everyone, contributes nothing other than birthing Saiyajin kids, gets in the way of the plot, seems to have no motivation or desire to do anything in life, kind of a dishrag, the list goes on...
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:20 pm

Goku is probably the worst.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:47 pm

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Roshi yet, people were up and ready to smash some heads after what he pulled with the green haired girl in Super, people calling him a rapist etc. when it was just old typical Roshi.
Worst character for me would be... hmm I dont really have any to the point of calling them the worst, I like Broly and Pan despite some really hating their guts, if I had to pick it would be Cauli,Ribrianne and Kale pulling a Broly homage they really rubbed me the wrong way (and I was excited for Cauli when they first showed her design... soon changed after she got introduced.).

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:00 am

SmugStick wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
SmugStick wrote:I don’t hate any character, but I really dislike Vegeta. I just find him really overrated. But the worst character for me would probably be Broly. Worst back story and just super lame overall.
Worst backstory? really? goku's backstory is better?

edit: And I saw like 3 people saying that Broly is the worst character, explain pls.
His story is basically an OC Mary Sue.
Born with a power level of 10K, stronger than any character at the time, survived planet Vegeta...
The whole idea of a legendary SSJ who was made insane and obsessed with a man because he cried next to him is ridiculous.
He represents, to me, the worst parts of Dragonball. The muscle obsessed (can't think of a synonym rn), screaming, mindless part of Dragonball and its community.
Actually that's just a misconception. In the first movie the flashback works as foreshadowing and a metaphor for the fight between Broly and Goku, not as a reason why Broly hates Goku. In the second coming the flashback is used as a memory but not as his motivation.

If you watched the original version of the first Broly movie, the movie never suggested that Broly hated Goku because he cried.

Here's a nice interpretation of the movie
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Thread ... skin=oasis
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:16 am

Android/Cyborg 13: basically prototype Broly but he doesn't even have a cool design like Broly. Super 13 might be my least favorite design in the series.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Bear

Post by Bear » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:50 am

Lord Slugg easily. No personality, even for a movie villain.
Big Green: And you say you're the prince of the Space Warriors.
Vejituh: Oh Big Green, face reali-TY!

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:22 am

I want to discard minor characters like Barry Kahn and the sort since I feel that's too easy.

I'd probably go with Black or Zamasu. Horribly written characters with nonsensical plans and values. Generic and bland as hell too, no interesting or new powers either. I'll throw in Super's and GT's versions of the main cast as well, they all suck. Toei just takes one character trait in either show and beats the audience over the head with it by exaggerating it over and over again, thus flanderizing the character to no end, such as Vegeta and his "fuck Kakarot" attitude that he had before the Buu arc. They even do this with new characters too, like Ribrianne and 'love'. I'd probably say the only exception to this is maybe 17, but even then I'd say he had a horrible written moment when he told Goku he doesn't care if the universe is destroyed despite wanting to sail around the Earth in a ship with his family lmao. The other thing they tend to do is completely mischaracterize, like with Goku in GT when he says "he isn't a Saiyan" to Baby, when his entire character arc in the Saiyan and Namek arcs is him accepting that heritage. Or him telling Super One-Star Dragon that he isn't responsible for the Earth being in danger, when in the Androids arc, he left at the end because of that fact. I think you could make a case for most characters from either show being the worst in the series, but Black/Zamasu would still be my pick, easily the most boring, contradictory and horribly written characters that I've seen in the series.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ