Mike and the bots riff Saban's DBZ dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Mike and the bots riff Saban's DBZ dub

Post by John Pannozzi » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:01 pm

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:51 pm

Dragonball-Z -- the popular, impossibly violent children's program from Japan.
I read that, rolled my eyes and just left it.

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:13 pm

tablet the eunuch wrote:
The site's also from 1996 or 1997, so.... actually, I'm not sure where I was going with that, so never mind. O_o

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:32 pm

I remember that from ages ago. It does have some funny things, but it's no Dragon Ball Z Rewrite.
tablet the eunuch wrote:
Why? It's pretty much accurate. It's popular. It's a children's show. It's violent. And it's from Japan. Winner!
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:09 pm

I don't have the time to read that (Yeah, like I have better things to do), so I'm just going to say "Oh, it's not even worth reading. It couldn't possibly hold a candle to SRG's Rewrite." like a little pussy.

My god, is that the first time I've used underline tags?!

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:10 pm

I remember that rewrite. Is that still around?
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:00 pm

No. You'll have to use the Wayback Machine.

And no, it's not as funny as DBZ Rewrite. But that's no reason not to read it. That would be like eating the greatest ever sandwich, and then refusing to eat any other sandwich ever made because it didn't taste as nice.
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:18 pm

PsyLiam, that sounds exactly like something I'd say.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:27 pm

You'd use a metaphor that was as retarded as that? You poor thing. You poor stupid thing.

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:12 am

Dorkily enough, I've said much cornier things. :oops:
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:14 am

I read the DBZ MST years ago. Really nostalgic to see it again. It reminds me of when I went on the Wayback Machine a few weeks ago to see the old DBZ sites; Planet Namek, Old TOT, Old Daizex, Old GGG and Wuken's home page. I had never used the Wayback Machine before, so it was strange to surf them and read the stuff I only vaguely remembered...

I never finished SRG's DBZ Rewrite. I got really disgusted when I got to the part with Chichi and Gyuu-mao. Sure, the metal bikini was weird and all, but that interpretation of it didn't belong in a humor fic. I don't understand how the readers are supposed to laugh at the 'flavors' scene.

Ick.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:46 am

Ah the DBZ rewrite, good stuff. Anyone still have a link to it?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:37 pm

Wayback machine. Use it. The original address was somerandomguy.com

As to the metal bikini thing...I guess it depends on whether you think that paedophilia is something that you should make jokes about (which in turn leads to questions about what exactly you can make fun of, and everyone ends up drawing the line in different places). I found it amusing, personally. It's not like he was advocating dressing children up in metal bikinis, or anything.

And "No! You've activated me! Now you die!" is possibly the funniest line ever written. It actually hurt when I read it. Hurt.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:27 am

It has nothing to do with whether he's advocating it or not. It has to do with the idea that a father raping his little daughter is amusing. It isn't. Humor is good, but some things just aren't funny.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:27 am

In your opinion...

And I don't think he does, anyway. Wasn't the whole point of that segment based around the misinterpretation of "quoted" sections?

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:13 pm

It's not just opinion. I hate it when people deem that all moral values are just a matter of viewpoint ("Sure she's 16 and he's her 49 year old teacher, but they were in love! It's just your opinion that it's weird!").

The thing with Chichi was just plain sick, regardless of what it was based on. Why on Earth would anyone find that sort of thing humorous?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:39 pm

I agree with Alias that you have to draw the line somewhere and incest and pedophilia are where I do. That's the one thing I hated about Martian Successor Nadesico, the father's sexual attraction to his teenage daughter. I never found it funny, just annoying and sick.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:56 pm

That wasn't funny with Nadesico, you're right... But Onegai Twins was WAY worse.

Either way, if anyone knows how to pull that sort of thing off, it's SRG.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:26 pm

Alias wrote:It's not just opinion. I hate it when people deem that all moral values are just a matter of viewpoint ("Sure she's 16 and he's her 49 year old teacher, but they were in love! It's just your opinion that it's weird!").
There's a world of difference between laughing at something, and condoning it. Laughing at that bit in DBZ rewrite doesn't mean that you agree with fathers doing naughty things to their daughters. In DBZ rewrite, some of the humour comes from the fact that Chi Chi is some super-powerful demi-god who tortures Goku, but that doesn't mean that spouse abuse is a good thing.
The thing with Chichi was just plain sick, regardless of what it was based on. Why on Earth would anyone find that sort of thing humorous?
Because it was. Some people don't find jokes about mental or physical disability, or cancer, or death, or STDs, or many, many, many other things. And others do. Making jokes about them is not the same as saying "hey, wouldn't it be great if everyone got AIDS?"

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:46 am

PsyLiam wrote:Because it was. Some people don't find jokes about mental or physical disability, or cancer, or death, or STDs, or many, many, many other things. And others do. Making jokes about them is not the same as saying "hey, wouldn't it be great if everyone got AIDS?"
Those aren't the same thing. There's a world of difference between making a joke about death and having a father raping his little daughter. Just because a laugh track's added doesn't make it funny. It reminds me of the times I've gone to DBZ humor sections and found sick jokes about how Piccolo was molesting Gohan when they were training, or how Freeza was raping Vegeta. How is that amusing? Why would someone being raped make somebody laugh? IMnot-soHO, people who write or like that kind of stuff really need to get their heads examined.