Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 100

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:54 pm

Amir wrote:
Asura wrote:
Amir wrote:I think it's a shame people think ep114 is the best looking episode just because it had awesome art.
Well it is the best looking episode. If it's got the best looking art it's the best looking episode. On the other hand, if it's got the best looking animation then it's the best animated episode.
What? Good animation also makes an episode look good, not just the art. I say animation is even more important. That's my point. 114 may have had great art and the choreography was pretty good in a lot of parts, but the animation was decent and soemtimes a little weird and slow. For example, look at SSJG Goku vs Kale. I would take an episodes like 57, 66, 109 and 110 any day over 114. Even 116 with those awesome cuts by Higashdie and Ken Otsuka made the episode better than 114 for me. Art is still just how the characters are drawn in the end, I think people just got excited because the old Z designs were used again. I was too, but to say that it was the best looking episode? I can't agree with that.
So if an episode is drawn where Goku and co. literally look like hastily drawn stick figures (even worse than Tate draws them) but the animation is great because, well, you’re literally animating stick figures, you’re telling me you’d be able to call that one of the “best looking” episodes?

If an episode looks good, it’s because the art looks good. When people say 114 is the best looking episode it’s because the art looks amazing. If they were referring to an episode with the best animation in the series they wouldn’t say it’s the best looking episode, they’d say it’s the best animated episode.

How something looks is art. How that art moves is animation. That’s why people say 114 is the best looking episode.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Asura wrote: So if an episode is drawn where Goku and co. literally look like hastily drawn stick figures (even worse than Tate draws them) but the animation is great because, well, you’re literally animating stick figures, you’re telling me you’d be able to call that one of the “best looking” episodes?

If an episode looks good, it’s because the art looks good. When people say 114 is the best looking episode it’s because the art looks amazing. If they were referring to an episode with the best animation in the series they wouldn’t say it’s the best looking episode, they’d say it’s the best animated episode.

How something looks is art. How that art moves is animation. That’s why people say 114 is the best looking episode.
This is wrong on so many levels. The way something moves is a huge part of how it LOOKS, you are looking at not only the art but the way it moves.
If art was all that mattered this shit like this wouldn't be so hilarious;
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/935224795674939394
This has detailed art, but it looks horrible because of how they "animated" it.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:23 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Asura wrote: So if an episode is drawn where Goku and co. literally look like hastily drawn stick figures (even worse than Tate draws them) but the animation is great because, well, you’re literally animating stick figures, you’re telling me you’d be able to call that one of the “best looking” episodes?

This is wrong on so many levels. The way something moves is a huge part of how it LOOKS, you are looking at not only the art but the way it moves.
Nothing about what you posted contradicts what I said or makes me "wrong on so many levels". Unless an anime is intentionally drawn in a specific, simplistic style, animation can only take an episode so far. Dragon Ball has always been a series that focused on art over animation. People are more interested in seeing good art then good animation. If an episode "LOOKS" amazing to people (as in they're specifically using the word looks), it's because of the art, or a combination of great art and animation, but almost never is it referring to great animation with bad art. This is why animators like Tate are heavily criticized when his bad art sometimes shines through because the majority of the fanbase much prefers seeing detailed art rather than fluid animation with bad art. I know this is the case because when people say "why can't Super look like Z?" they're not referring to the animation. Wanna know why Ep. 5 was criticized for "looking" so horrible? People's complaints about it looking horrible wasn't because of the animation, that's for sure.

No one is going to look at a DBS episode with very fluid smears and stick figures and say "That's the best looking episode I've ever seen", but if there's an episode with incredible art but very limited animation, people will say it's the best looking episode they've ever seen because art is about looks and animation is about movement. This shouldn't come as any kind of surprise given it's said every time someone says "the animation looks horrible" in response to a badly drawn picture. To combine both art and animation and label one episode as having the best balance of both is completely up to personal preference, and when people say something is "the best looking" they're not talking about the combination of both of those factors, art has to be the thing shining through the most, not animation. When it comes to a way an episode LOOKS compared to how an episode is ANIMATED you're talking about the difference between art and animation. That's why when people say something is "the best looking" they're referring to the art, because again, Dragon Ball has never been a series that has been known for its animation, it's a series that was known for its detailed drawings and unique 90s art style.

But this changes from series to series. What might "look the best" for one series like DBZ which prioritizes art over animation might mean the best looking animation for a series that has always been about animation over art. Something that is "the best looking" will always change from show to show depending on what the show focuses on, but for the Dragon Ball franchise when the fanbase says an episode is "the best looking", they're referring mostly to the art especially since DBS has always had wildly inconsistent art that looks nothing like Z's since its inception (which again, is why you always have people asking why Super can't just look like Z, because they're referring to the art, not the animation)

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Asura wrote:
HeroR wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: I felt he made Vegeta and Freeza more caricatures of themselves, than characters who were actually involved in the situation.

For example, Freeza needs Goku to achieve UI, yet he asked Goku to lose just so he could have a turn and Vegeta still has his whole number one schtick that he got over in the Buu arc.
Vegeta have been doing that for episodes from different writers.
I don't know what the hell happened to Vegeta in this arc. It's like they took all of the progress he made during the entirety of Super and decided "Wouldn't it be fun if we just started introducing elements of Cell arc Vegeta back into the character again?". He was so good in the FT arc too, such a shame, really. :(
emperior wrote:I just wanted to say, once again, how happy I am with Super’s current state. This whole arc has been a major improvement from the older arcs, and the ToP is specifically getting more consistent with every episode, especially since the special aired. I can’t imagine how good the finale of this arc will be in terms of animation.
I was compiling a bunch of images from older arcs (mostly using the images from the animator breakdowns on the first page of this thread) to compare to the ToP arc and wow, it's ridiculous how far we've come. Everything used to be so bright, so oversaturated, and lacking so much detail. This arc just gets so much undeserved hate IMO. Art and animation (and soundtrack too!) really go a long way in making a series so much better, and even if the story content of the arc is... questionable at times, I still feel like it's easily the best overall arc Super has ever produced.

DBZ has never been a series with a strong story. People loved it for the art, the fighting, and the soundtrack though to the point where story sometimes took a backseat to these things. People don't have that same mindset anymore coming in to Super, and I think that's a shame. I'd honestly rather see a mediocre story with great art and animation over a good story with shit that looks like it was hastily thrown together by amateurs (and I am NOT saying the animators are amateurs, I'm just saying it comes off that way due to the rushed production schedule and lack of time to make things look good.)

I'm so much more involved in a show when it looks and sounds great. When the story is good but the art sometimes looks like stick figures, I'm just taken out of the show completely. So kudos to the animators and artists, this arc is beautiful.
Everything you have stated is the reason why I personally love this arc. I'm trying to learn about the behind the scenes things about anime I love. I have learned about firings due to being part of cults to why a show got cancelled to why a show came to be. I also love learning about the people who make the episodes and why they look like how they do.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:16 pm

I think 114 is up there as one of the best looking episodes. I think 100 is sightly better, but 114 is top 3 for sure.

The thing is that in a show like Dragon Ball I think I prefer super good art and more conservative animation. It's more doable that way. With strong and polished art (obviously you would need new character designs) and a strong storyboards you don't need crazy sakuga every episode. An animation heavy episode every cour or arc would be enough.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:22 pm

I just wish we could escape modern Yamamuro character models permanently. Getting to see an entire episode of Super in classic Z art style elevated episode 114 as a whole, imo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Burast

Post by Burast » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:30 pm

Avok wrote: I think 100 is sightly better, but 114 is top 3 for sure.
you meant episode 110, right? :(

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Chuquita wrote:I just wish we could escape modern Yamamuro character models permanently. Getting to see an entire episode of Super in classic Z art style elevated episode 114 as a whole, imo.
Do you think if we were to have more episodes like 114 by guest animators that there may be a rising chance of the character models revising due to the positive reception or probably still no chance of the models ever changing? I'm not sure how the JP community reacted to 114, of course they loved it but was there any overwhelming talk about it on social media or anything that might somehow get TOEI's attention as to the reception an episode received?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:50 pm

Asura wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I just wish we could escape modern Yamamuro character models permanently. Getting to see an entire episode of Super in classic Z art style elevated episode 114 as a whole, imo.
Do you think if we were to have more episodes like 114 by guest animators that there may be a rising chance of the character models revising due to the positive reception or probably still no chance of the models ever changing? I'm not sure how the JP community reacted to 114, of course they loved it but was there any overwhelming talk about it on social media or anything that might somehow get TOEI's attention as to the reception an episode received?
I think if there's any chance of that happening it'd have to be at the start of a new arc the way the ToP arc introduced the line thickness variation filter.

Also, Z changed character models partway though, no reason Super couldn't.

The only thing stopping it, imo, is "How sensitive to the suggestion about going back to the Z designs is Yamamuro?" Like how's he with the idea that "Hey Yamamuro, the majority of viewers prefer the way you used to draw in the 90's instead of the way you draw now. Can we start using your old model sheets instead?" It's like how do you phrase it without it sounding awkward? How do you get him to agree to it?
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 am

An new Precure anime, as expected, has been announced. Don't be surprised of some staff suddenly become unavailable because of this.

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avok » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:59 pm

Burast wrote:
Avok wrote: I think 100 is sightly better, but 114 is top 3 for sure.
you meant episode 110, right? :(
Yeah, my bad.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:An new Precure anime, as expected, has been announced. Don't be surprised of some staff suddenly become unavailable because of this.
A precure anime is always running, if we lose anyone we're just as likely to gain some people too.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:19 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:

OMG, thanks for the long laugh with this article

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:21 pm

I think if anything we might have a temporary slight animation drop in Super around the time this year's Precure ends and next year's begins.

Also to factor in is "Will they bring back hand to hand combat in Precure this year or is it doomed to be stuck in long distance energy blast mode?"
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:23 pm

Chuquita wrote:I think if anything we might have a temporary slight animation drop in Super around the time this year's Precure ends and next year's begins.

Also to factor in is "Will they bring back hand to hand combat in Precure this year or is it doomed to be stuck in long distance energy blast mode?"
I don't think we'll see any drop when this year's Precure ends and next year's starts, January and February are probably going to be big months for the ToP.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:31 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I think if anything we might have a temporary slight animation drop in Super around the time this year's Precure ends and next year's begins.

I don't think we'll see any drop when this year's Precure ends and next year's starts, January and February are probably going to be big months for the ToP.
I hope this is true.

This year's Precure hasn't been that big on flashy action sequences because of that self enforced ban on fisticuffs (apparently Go!Pri's action was so scary to some of its target audience that they've lowered the bar in the two years since. Coincidentally Go!Pri is one of my favorite Precure series so it's like...the consequences are unfortunate but I wouldn't want Go!Pri to not have existed, so.)
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Nothing to worry about a new Precure anime, since DBS came a long way.

If they can deliver a consistent good looking Tournament with non-stop fighting for 20+ episodes, then they can do anything. Not every arc will be as ambitious as this one too.

I'm impressed how they still didn't pull off a DBZ and gaves us some scenes on Earth, in order to have some cool down episodes and buffer the production.
They are doing a fantastic job on cutting corners when they need (reusing animation, conservative action, bench scenes...) while keeping the audience always on ToP.

Nagamine and Nakamura aren't only great Directors. They are also very smart and that has been showing since this arc started. Something simple like the filter makes all the difference. Daisuki uses pre-filtered thumbnails for the episodes and 97% of them still look like crap compared to the final post-production version.

If DBS had started with the filter since the beginning, everything would look better. We would still have the same animation/art problems, but overall the show would look better because the filter does a good job on hiding some imperfections.

I wouldn't be surprised if when these two leave (God, please no!) and the filter goes with them, everything will look worse again unless other changes are made.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:18 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Nothing to worry about a new Precure anime, since DBS came a long way.

If they can deliver a consistent good looking Tournament with non-stop fighting for 20+ episodes, then they can do anything. Not every arc will be as ambitious as this one too.

I'm impressed how they still didn't pull off a DBZ and gaves us some scenes on Earth, in order to have some cool down episodes and buffer the production.
They are doing a fantastic job on cutting corners when they need (reusing animation, conservative action, bench scenes...) while keeping the audience always on ToP.

Nagamine and Nakamura aren't only great Directors, but they are also very smart and that has been showing since this arc started. Something simple like the filter makes all the difference. Daisuki uses pre-filtered thumbnails for the episodes and 98% of them still look like crap compared to the final post-production version.

If DBS had started with the filter since the beginning, everything would look better. We would still have the same animation/art problems, but overall the show would look better because the filter does a good job on hiding some imperfections.

I wouldn't be surprised if when these two leave (God, please no!) and the filter goes with them, everything will look worse again unless other changes are made.
Imo The only positives is if they leave is that blood will return and the show will be "more mature".

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:54 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Imo The only positives is if they leave is that blood will return and the show will be "more mature".
No it wouldn't. Nakamura and Nagamine have only been series directors since the start of this arc, the choice to be light on blood was not theirs.
And "more mature"? The show isn't any less mature than Z.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:14 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
No it wouldn't. Nakamura and Nagamine have only been series directors since the start of this arc, the choice to be light on blood was not theirs.
And "more mature"? The show isn't any less mature than Z.
That is false in my opinion. We saw an example of a director that wanted to make the show slightly more mature and actually have some blood, it sucks since it seems like he is not part of the staff of the show anymore.