Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

King Jacku
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Post by King Jacku » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:32 pm

I was really looking forward to this episode as Gohan and Piccolo are my favourite characters, and man was I severely disappointed. All I wanted was a good fight for those 2, but nope, reused animation galore, bad fight choreography, and just not enough focus on them overall.

It's stuff like this that makes me pretty envious of Goku fans, he gets 3-4 episodes of superb animation and art while we get this. *Sigh*

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:35 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:Best of episode of the arc by far. Had everything: Action,Drama, and Comedy. Made me laugh, hyped, and cry(kinda).

It seems like when you utilize opponents and well and don't make the show a sayain snoozefest, the episode will be enjoyable.

Noah wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
:clap:

Yea, Goku just can have his power back whenever the plot needs :D

precita wrote:I think his departure was done well.
Nah, that would be better:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Thank god that didn't happen. I find the idea of Beerus crying over his brother super cringy, especially after all their fighting. Beerus being silent was way more powerful.
Agreed. I honestly thought they handled Beerus' reaction to Champa being erased perfectly. It felt so... real. Like, it felt like the sort of reaction you would expected from two brothers who act childish and prideful, constantly bicker, and also aren't forthcoming with their emotions. I'm glad they didn't go with the overly sappy and emotional route and the kept the responses more stoic and in-character. It just makes the moment feel all the more genuine and powerful.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:37 pm

Something that struck me in Universe 2 and Universe 6 erasure is that they never stop being themselves until the end.
Universe 10 also accepted their fate (RIP Gowasu), but to be able to smile and never give up on their beliefs like these two Universe did is something else. And that's what makes this scene so remarkable.

The writing of this episode was unbelievably good!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:43 pm

I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Universe 2 boys going full camp on us was glorious, and the stuff with Piccolo, Saonel and Pirina was really interesting. Gohan was amazing, and the erasures went in a completely different direction than I expected.

I was expecting Universe 10 levels of somber tragedy, but instead we got Universe 2 going out with a smile and a song, perfectly appropriate for them. i'm sure the moment will be ruined when I check the Youtube reactions and see the insecure manboys going "ERGH, FUK YOU BITCH" but for now I will revel in the glory. And Universe 6...that was just sweet. No tears at all, just cute hijinks with the girls and Namekians, a best of luck from Cabba and a final sibling moment between Champa and Beerus. I was worried they might be downplaying it, but I think Beerus' reaction said more than words ever could.

Fantastic episode, feels like we're now speeding toward the climax. Also, a return of the orchestral Limit Break x Survivor piece from 109 was most welcome.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:49 pm

King Jacku wrote:I was really looking forward to this episode as Gohan and Piccolo are my favourite characters, and man was I severely disappointed. All I wanted was a good fight for those 2, but nope, reused animation galore, bad fight choreography, and just not enough focus on them overall.

It's stuff like this that makes me pretty envious of Goku fans, he gets 3-4 episodes of superb animation and art while we get this. *Sigh*
The 2 fights in this episode should have had an episode each and that could have been easily done by taking out episode 113.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:04 am

King Jacku wrote:I was really looking forward to this episode as Gohan and Piccolo are my favourite characters, and man was I severely disappointed. All I wanted was a good fight for those 2, but nope, reused animation galore, bad fight choreography, and just not enough focus on them overall.

If you didn't think the animation in this episode, or at least the second half, was great, then I don't know what to tell you. Your expectations are out of whack if this didn't do it for you. This was great stuff.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:05 am

Keep in mind the fight with Gohan/Piccolo and the Nameks went on several episodes. You need to use the scenes we got in previous episodes and combine it with this. The fight is a bit longer when you see it all together. I'm sure a youtube video can edit it all together.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:08 am

precita wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote: -I really hate Champa's characterization in this arc. He's second to Vegeta in the worst this story arc.
I think his departure was done well.
On Beerus' end of his character I agree. But on Champa's end it's just awful. It's the same crap.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:11 am

This episode gave me all the feels!

I knew going in U2 and U6 were done. But this send off was great. Those transformations were wacky but great. The Namekians put up an awesome fight too! I really loved how they handled the fights this episode. This is how it should pan out more!

And those farewells...U2 sent out their love, and the goodbye to U6 had me worked up. Especially how they cut to Beerus at the end just standing there, taking what all just transpired in.

And it's gonna be fun to finally see Damon and Gamisaras next week. Fantastic episode!

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:12 am

precita wrote:Keep in mind the fight with Gohan/Piccolo and the Nameks went on several episodes. You need to use the scenes we got in previous episodes and combine it with this. The fight is a bit longer when you see it all together. I'm sure a youtube video can edit it all together.
Going by the time in universe it lasted it is actually the longest fight so far of the tournament.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:15 am

I'm not really a fan of Champa, but his send-off was so perfect.

One thing that Super is kicking its predecessors' butts in is showcasing combination attacks. There were a few scattered about in the original series, but Super has had some incredible scenes of characters fighting side-by-side.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:16 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Well, holy shit. Where did this awesome episode come from?

The remaining Universe fighters transforming into the Kamikaze Fireballs was unexpected and and fucking hysterical. I loved every second of that shit.

The Universe 6 Namekians power being composed of them fusing with every other Namekian in Universe 6 was more expected and but still awesome.

"More than love, I prefer guts!" Fuck. Yes.

The simultaneous Kamehameha's from Goku and Gohan were awesome. Goku's in particular, in dealing with the "black hole" heart attacks from the Universe 2 fighters as exceptional.

I'm a bit shocked that both Universe 2 and Universe 6 bit the dust in the same episode. But how both universes were erased were handled very well. Universe 2 in particular was surprisingly heart-wrenching and heartwarming. They really made me more invested in the fate of the Universe 2 in the last two episode than they have for the entire tournament leading up to those two episodes. Universe 6 also went out how I expected him too. Everyone acted was in-character, but at the same time it all felt very genuine and somber. Beerus' reaction to Champa's last gesture to him ("Say something") was just... devastating. Less really can be more. And I'm glad they didn't go the overly emotional route and made the erasure of Universe 2 or 6 feel too sappy. It all just felt so... raw and real. I don't know how to particularly describe it, but the erasure of Universe 2 and 6 just resonated to me in a way that the other erasures of the universes haven't. So kudos to Toei for making shed a tear at the lose of Universe 2 and 6. Great writing all around.

I think I would have liked to seen a bit more of the Universe 6 Namekians in their send off episode. But what for they provided, I was very much satisfied. For once, it was Gohan making the save for Piccolo and not the other way around. That was nice callback.

Overall, a shockingly stellar episode. It captured the feeling of battle royale with the spectacular battles happening at the same time, whilst also heightening the stakes and making you feel emotional at the lose of the universes and its central characters when all is said and done. That's a really great episode in my book.
I loved the way Champa went out and Beerus' reaction. Great moment.

Gohan has actually saved piccolo against Freeza, Android 20, and a couple of times in the Namekian fight already.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:17 am

Absolutely looooved it! Super is on a crazy high right now!

Epic level positives
- Piccolo having that moment with Kami and Nail! Then waking from it to have been saved by Gohan successfully like all the times he has before. Thank god it wasn't Piccolo saving Gohan again!
- The Namek's fusing with their entire planet. Can't say how many times I've heard people say why doesn't Piccolo just absorb everybody lol. Guess we know that wouldn't give him much anyway.

Highs
- Kingdom Hearts gravity heart attack.
- Goku trying to use Instant Transmission to escape it.
- 17 and 18's speech getting into the spirit of Unviverse and Goku just not getting it.
- Piccolo successfully landing a Special Beam Cannon, it's been a while I think.
- Dual Father Son Kamehameha
- Piccolo Gohan team up, Piccolo's best mini character development in a damn long time.
- Despite getting really sick of Universe 2's love schtick, I really enjoyed their farewell (and not just because they were leaving)
- Universe 6 had a decent good bye as well, I was actually getting pretty emotional with Vados and then discovered she was sitting with Whis which was a good laugh.

Not sure how to feel about
- I really would have preferred Champa say something meaningful to Beerus but I guess that's just Champa.

Lows
- Goku being the one to break them out of the hole. Seriously he had the power to go blue and fire another Kamehameha like what, 4 minutes after he defeated Kefla which completely drained him? Surely the Androids could have broken out of this thing with their power together. Also this isn't a low but it's nice to see the Androids haven't had any stamina problems as of yet and no one has mentioned it.
- The men of Universe 2 being almost an exact copy of the women after transforming. What's the point of that we had that just last episode.
- I'm getting a bit tired of just seeing Freeza standing on a rock and spouting out a very similar line of dialogue almost every second episode. Would be better to just not see him honestly.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:17 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:I like how Universe 2 have been watching the Tournament this whole time.

CJStriker_CBR may be proud. Ribrianne went out with a bang!
Thanks for the shout-out FortuneSSJ and you are right, I needed time to Digest 118 but now I am ready now...........I AM BEYOND PROUD of Both Universe 2 and Universe 6! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Like others I did not expect much out of this episode but like 105........This Came Right out of Nowwhere and was tightly written to a T!

IMO it is one of the Best Episodes if not the Best so Far of this Arc, Just WOW every moment was so well Done!

The fact that the Namekins of U6 did such a Bold Act to Sacrifice SO MANY of themselves..........I was just WOWed by that, it shows why Namekins are my favorite Alien Race of DB and how far they will go to Protect their Race and Family.

Saonel and Pirina where Very Well Done here both in Character and Action, I am Proud of their characters and they showed Why Namekins are so cool and noble! :thumbup:

IMO it was so Good it honestly Redeemed both the negative Events I saw in Episode 117 and Maybe the Arc as a Whole I felt was going down an uninspiring path, That is Good Writing to do such a 180 for me.

STRANGE POINT.....I had a Personal Headcannon a Few Weeks ago that U2 was broadcasting to their people to get their support and be 100% Real with them what is going on. I was BLOWN AWAY when my own Headcannon for fun was Made into Reality, that was a Strange moment indeed, LOL! :lol:

But it was exactly what U2 would do and showed how much of a Class Act their Universe is and how they faced the end.

Zirloin, Zarbuto and Rabanra IMO Proved themselves non wasted character and I gained allot of Respect for them, they fought as the last hope of U2 and did it well to the very end.

It also Redeemed U2 and Brianne's Ideals of Love, I felt 117 made them smaller for abit their.....BUT 118 showed it was Indeed their own form of Real Love that just was one step bellow the True Romance love of 18 and Krillian. This to me made me Happy and Gave Brianne's ideals of Love so much credit and weight, made her beliefs mean allot more.

117 had a Final moment for Brianne that was a Class Act, But 118 Took that Class act and Went Full Level Class with it!

I Loved every moment Brianne was onscreen! It showed what I have been Saying about Brianne for such a longtime;

She cares about her Universe, her Friends and her People. She was not 1 cent bitter about losing cause of pride, she was cause she failed her people and importantly still she Told her Fellow People to get behind the last 3 Warriors Zirloin, Zarbuto and Rabanra, showing she had faith in them and believed in what they could do as both their last hope and their Friends!

How They Made Brianne come across in this Episode Brought Tears to my Eye, Toei Honored her So Very Well! ;_;

Universe 2 went out with their Full Beliefs and Fought to the very end on them;

Their is an old saying in Comic Books that if a Hero has to Go Out You Go Out Swinging and I like to add go out on your Principles. U2 did that, they embraced each other like I had hoped they would at the endand did it with a class knowing this is it. When you face Armageddon you can't escape, you face it ebracing those you love and with you head held high. That is what U2 did and I am BEYOND Proud of them! \

I Reminds me of one of my Favorite Songs Ever and One I try to live MY Life by to ~~ Frank Sinatra: I Did it My Way.

That is what U2 did here and it was the 1st song I thought of ~~~~~ I am sure this is not their end, but until we meet again, you went out with class, resurrected my hope for this arc and these characters did it All Their Way!

Until we Meet again Brianne, U2 and U6! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZlnbpgRJ2o

--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:29 am

Also, we can add "Piccolo sacrificing himself for Gohan" to the ever-growing list of things people were afraid of happening that turned out to be unfounded. Here we had Piccolo faltering at a critical moment (from attempting to help Gohan when he didn't necessarily need to no less), and Gohan having to protect him.

By the end of it, the two have firmly established themselves as equals, which does a good job of addressing the issue of the first half of the tournament where it felt like Piccolo was babying Gohan. They're a team now, and it more than makes up for the lack of individual focus the two have gotten.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:37 am

Kataphrut wrote:Also, we can add "Piccolo sacrificing himself for Gohan" to the ever-growing list of things people were afraid of happening that turned out to be unfounded. Here we had Piccolo faltering at a critical moment (from attempting to help Gohan when he didn't necessarily need to no less), and Gohan having to protect him.

By the end of it, the two have firmly established themselves as equals, which does a good job of addressing the issue of the first half of the tournament where it felt like Piccolo was babying Gohan. They're a team now, and it more than makes up for the lack of individual focus the two have gotten.
Gohan needed to be saved both times Piccolo used the spc,he even apologises for the 1st time since he needed to be saved and he pretty much admitted it was his mistake.
Gohan saved Piccolo 2 times in episode 118 as well.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:40 am

Said this in another thread, but based on today's episode, is continued usage of Ultra Instinct actually making Goku stronger each time? After the first time, Goku was totally out of it, needed Freeza to give him some energy and it took him awhile to muster up even the Super Saiyan transformation. After the second usage, he can now use SSB KK in short spurts. Whis kind of alluded to this in the episode ("Exposure to repeated extreme conditions can lead to acclimation. The bar may be getting raised on his opportunity to break his own shell.") Or maybe this alludes to Toriyama's interview about Goku mastering his normal state (UI) and thus sapping less strength/stamina?

ulitmax999

Post by ulitmax999 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:44 am

More same format episode
Blah blah blah, U7 stomp and win

Seriously, all of the fighters should just jump off and declared U7 winner.
Last edited by ulitmax999 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:45 am

Best part about this episode for me was that gohan actually looked impressive. Episode 90 was the last time i had really been impressed by him, seems like toei forgot about him being pretty strong for a while there

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:47 am

Whatever wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Also, we can add "Piccolo sacrificing himself for Gohan" to the ever-growing list of things people were afraid of happening that turned out to be unfounded. Here we had Piccolo faltering at a critical moment (from attempting to help Gohan when he didn't necessarily need to no less), and Gohan having to protect him.

Gohan needed to be saved both times Piccolo used the spc,he even apologises for the 1st time since he needed to be saved and he pretty much admitted it was his mistake.
Gohan saved Piccolo 2 times in episode 118 as well.
Yes, but it didn't feel like an unequal relationship. Not like in 106 where Gohan choked and Piccolo had to step in. Piccolo firing off the Special Beam Cannon early to help him the first time was treated as a mistake that forced the two of them to do better and trust each other. They both acknowledged their faults. And in the end, Gohan and Piccolo were covering each other to launch their final attacks.

This was more than just sacrificing Piccolo to big up Gohan. This felt like genuine teamwork.